Best Self-Study Materials? Using Powerscore Bibles w/ The LSAT Trainer? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
unicornblood

New

Best Self-Study Materials? Using Powerscore Bibles w/ The LSAT Trainer?

Post by unicornblood » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 pm

I have two questions:

A. Which books/materials are best, in your opinion, for self-study ? This would include lots of practice, strategies to recognize and attack different types of problems, and explanations, obviously.

B. Should The LSAT Trainer be used alongside the Powerscore Bibles? Or do you think the LSAT Trainer is sufficient on its own, along with practice tests? I'll probably still get the Logic Games Bible, but I'd like opinions on whether or not the Bibles are necessary, if I'm using the Trainer.

A little background: I haven't taken my diagnostic yet. (I will take it this week/weekend) The plan is self-study on a similar two-month schedule or pace that a prep course would follow, and then see how well my PT scores are coming out. That will determine whether or not I want to take the June LSAT. If I think I need more help, I will either take a full prep course (Test Masters, Powerscore, or Blueprint - suggestions welcome), or I will continue to self-study and get a few private tutoring sessions in over the following two months. Then I would take the September LSAT.

I really need a high score, as my GPA is breathtakingly horrifying. I avoided this entire process for that reason, and focused my attention elsewhere for a couple years after college, but I really want this. I'm not delusional, though I am going to throw some serious money at several schools just to see if I can sell my case well as a splitter. If it doesn't work out, it's okay. But I want to try, and I need your help! :)

us3rnam3

Bronze

Re: Best Self-Study Materials? Using Powerscore Bibles w/ The LSAT Trainer?

Post by us3rnam3 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:16 pm

unicornblood wrote:I have two questions:

A. Which books/materials are best, in your opinion, for self-study ? This would include lots of practice, strategies to recognize and attack different types of problems, and explanations, obviously.

B. Should The LSAT Trainer be used alongside the Powerscore Bibles? Or do you think the LSAT Trainer is sufficient on its own, along with practice tests? I'll probably still get the Logic Games Bible, but I'd like opinions on whether or not the Bibles are necessary, if I'm using the Trainer.

A little background: I haven't taken my diagnostic yet. (I will take it this week/weekend) The plan is self-study on a similar two-month schedule or pace that a prep course would follow, and then see how well my PT scores are coming out. That will determine whether or not I want to take the June LSAT. If I think I need more help, I will either take a full prep course (Test Masters, Powerscore, or Blueprint - suggestions welcome), or I will continue to self-study and get a few private tutoring sessions in over the following two months. Then I would take the September LSAT.

I really need a high score, as my GPA is breathtakingly horrifying. I avoided this entire process for that reason, and focused my attention elsewhere for a couple years after college, but I really want this. I'm not delusional, though I am going to throw some serious money at several schools just to see if I can sell my case well as a splitter. If it doesn't work out, it's okay. But I want to try, and I need your help! :)
If you really want this, and your gpa sucks I would suggest taking a class and/or getting a tutor. I regret self studying I could've done much better with some real help.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 am

June is a little close if you're putting all your eggs in the LSAT basket due to a low GPA, unless of course you score phenomenally well on your diagnostic (165+). I would strongly recommend postponing until September, as this gives you plenty of time to study and won't negatively affect your application.

To answer your question, I recommend the LG Bible and both the Powerscore LR Bible followed up with the Manhattan LR. I found that Powerscore is good at building a solid foundation, but that Manhattan had better explanations for actual questions, which I found to be more useful. Personally, I didn't really like the Trainer. It seemed a little to sporadic and more focused on the aesthetics of the book, rather than providing insightful study techniques. To complement the LG Bible, 7 sage has excellent youtube videos detailing every single game every released. 7 sage videos are a MUST. Overall, you have the right idea about practicing with PT's and whatnot, but I strongly suggest that you don't underestimate the shear amount of effort it takes to make improvements in your score. In general, LSAT classes are not necessary to achieve a high score, plenty (if not most) top scorers self study. Take your diagnostic, tell us what you get, and we should be better able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:09 am

I found the Manhattan books for all sections, especially LR and LG+Manhattan forums for LR and RC explanations+ 7Sage videos for LG explanations quite sufficient for self-study. If you have to do the Trainer, then keep it for later when you feel stuck/plateaued. I found the Powerscore Bibles way inferior to the Manhattan ones and chucked them after going through once.

Pyrex

New

Post by Pyrex » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 am

Personally, I loved the LSAT trainer. I felt like it was focused on strategies and tactics, instead of just memorizing patterns or question types. Ymmv.

I also really, really liked the logic games explanations (free!) at LSAThacks.com. The guy used to be a trainer at 7Sage and Manhatten prep I think, but now does his own solo gig. Haven't paid for anything, but even just his free stuff is outstanding. His class prices seem pretty reasonable, as well.

McMooch

New

Post by McMooch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:41 pm

I really enjoyed the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible. It really helped divide up the question types and helped me read the arguments quickly and efficiently. The Reading Comprehension Bible was okay, but doing lots of practice problems was more useful and helped me predict the types of answers (both right and exaggerated) that they will often provide. The Logic Games Bible was a good paperweight, not much else. IMO, look elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”