Depression/Anxiety and studying Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MediocreAtBest

Silver

Depression/Anxiety and studying

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Not to get all dark or personal or whatever, but I'd imagine there are a few of us who have to deal with depression and anxiety in our day-to-day lives. How do you guys cope or deal with it? I go through ups and downs like many people, but the downs can be hard to handle. Focusing is hard, retaining information is hard, forcing myself to study is hard, and if I do practice sections I miss twice as many as I normally would. I get a little nervous because I'd hate to underperform on the LSAT if I'm down. When I'm feeling fine, it's great, it feels like I can breeze through sections and I just understand the questions more easily.

lnsl123

Bronze

Re: Depression/Anxiety and studying

Post by lnsl123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Not to sound flippant, but I coped by taking medication for both. Therapy works too.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:35 pm

I struggle with depression as well. I haven't tried it yet but there is a lot of research on the positive effects of meditation.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:53 pm

There is a good workbook on depression called something like "Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for depression." There is one for anxiety as well.

It gives you action steps to use or ignore as you like.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Like some others here, I'm a huge proponent of medication when necessary. And, for the good news, LSAC is pretty gracious in granting testing accommodations for mental health issues. If your anxiety is so severe and worse when you take the test, you should look into receiving some sort of testing accommodations for it. I tutored someone a while ago who had severe anxiety and was able to get 50 minutes/section. Check it out!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I personally need to keep my down time, where I'm doing absolutely nothing productive, to a minimum. It sounds counter intuitive, but staying busy helps - this is of course a band aid, and not a long-term strategy. As far as test prep goes, learn to roll with the punches by utilizing your best days to the fullest, and cutting your loses on the days when you're just not feeling it. Most importantly though, seek help if you need it. If your still in school, see if you can set up an appointment with the school therapist. Remember, you can choose when you take the test, so there's no rush. Don't feel like you need to work yourself to the point of mental exhaustion. I wouldn't call it "meditation" but sometimes just smoking an honest-to-goodness full bodied cigar, with my headphones on and the world shut out does the trick and I feel loads better.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 pm

I would start working out if you dont and get serious. Great way to release stress, clear the mind, and ultimately, I feel better about myself and more relaxed to perform in all other areas of my life.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 pm

Disclaimer: I have never been diagnosed with depression or anxiety, so I won't mention medication or anything like that, but I will offer what I have found successful for myself. I don't claim that this will work for everyone, as everyone's experience is different. I'm purely speaking to my own experience.

For me, it's important to ensure that no day is a "zero day" so to speak. Even if I don't study or get something greatly substantial done, as long as I can take a shower, or vacuum, or cook a fresh and healthy meal, I know I'll get through it. The moment I spend a day unable to get out of bed and don't bother eating or drinking water, I'm fucked. It's incredibly difficult and everyone is different, but recognizing what you're feeling before it gets to the point where it's crippling is, at least to me, key.

I'm also a big proponent of routine. I find I struggle a hell of a lot more with these issues when I'm not eating right, exercising, sleeping properly, going to class, etc. I find my mental health and physically health are very connected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Not to get all dark or personal or whatever, but I'd imagine there are a few of us who have to deal with depression and anxiety in our day-to-day lives. How do you guys cope or deal with it? I go through ups and downs like many people, but the downs can be hard to handle. Focusing is hard, retaining information is hard, forcing myself to study is hard, and if I do practice sections I miss twice as many as I normally would. I get a little nervous because I'd hate to underperform on the LSAT if I'm down. When I'm feeling fine, it's great, it feels like I can breeze through sections and I just understand the questions more easily.
Yea dude depression sucks and it really is a disease. You gotta fight through that shit. Studying for the LSAT and having the urgency of deadlines approaching is not gonna help your depression and anxiety. The neuroticism you're feeling about underperforming is completely normal and probably applicable to all LSAT test takers at one point or another. The best advice I can give you is don't sweat the small stuff. I know it may seem like the LSAT is not small because it is a ticket to the next step in your future, but I'm saying don't get yourself worked up over it. There are upcoming LSATs in June, September, and December that you could take and still be Gucci for law school. On another note, medication can help and if you really need something talk to your doctor and explain you're looking for something temporary. I had anti-anxiety meds stockpiled from a previous trauma and on some days or nights after studying it would put me at ease. Some might not agree with this, but if it is legal in your state, try smoking medical pot if you don't like the idea of meds. Take it one day at a time and practice self reflection and ask yourself why you're putting so much pressure on yourself. You're gonna be fine!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:10 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:I would start working out if you dont and get serious. Great way to release stress, clear the mind, and ultimately, I feel better about myself and more relaxed to perform in all other areas of my life.
+1. I have pretty severe anxiety and depression and most days, all I want to do after work is crawl into bed and sleep it away. But I honestly just feel worse. When I work out and eat right, I do feel a lot better. It's not perfect by any means but it does help. Physical health and mental health are definitely connected.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I would start working out if you dont and get serious. Great way to release stress, clear the mind, and ultimately, I feel better about myself and more relaxed to perform in all other areas of my life.
+1. I have pretty severe anxiety and depression and most days, all I want to do after work is crawl into bed and sleep it away. But I honestly just feel worse. When I work out and eat right, I do feel a lot better. It's not perfect by any means but it does help. Physical health and mental health are definitely connected.
It sounds cliche but a "fitness inspired lifestyle" helps on so many fronts. Even if you take out time to do other things you enjoy, I would argue that its not the same as working out and eating healthy. Between the hormonal responses you get from lifting, the confidence and overall good feelings, its unparalleled and has done wonders for me.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
It sounds cliche but a "fitness inspired lifestyle" helps on so many fronts. Even if you take out time to do other things you enjoy, I would argue that its not the same as working out and eating healthy. Between the hormonal responses you get from lifting, the confidence and overall good feelings, its unparalleled and has done wonders for me.
Yeah I hate working out but I lift 3-4 times a week and then play a sport 1 or 2 other days so I'm pretty active, I couldn't imagine not being active. I don't "eat healthy" but I don't necessarily eat unhealthy either. I just kind of eat what I want, and I don't really like desserts and sweets so I avoid that stuff anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Yeah I hate working out but I lift 3-4 times a week and then play a sport 1 or 2 other days so I'm pretty active, I couldn't imagine not being active. I don't "eat healthy" but I don't necessarily eat unhealthy either. I just kind of eat what I want, and I don't really like desserts and sweets so I avoid that stuff anyway.
It may not be relevant, but one thing I've consciously started to do in preparation for the LSAT is eat better. I make a smoothie of mixed berries, spinach, kale, bananas, almond milk, etc. (healthy shit), before I head to the library every night. I'm not sure it has a positive correlation to performance, but getting those vitamins in certainly can't hurt. At least psychologically, there's a bit of a placebo effect.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
It may not be relevant, but one thing I've consciously started to do in preparation for the LSAT is eat better. I make a smoothie of mixed berries, spinach, kale, bananas, almond milk, etc. (healthy shit), before I head to the library every night. I'm not sure it has a positive correlation to performance, but getting those vitamins in certainly can't hurt. At least psychologically, there's a bit of a placebo effect.
That's actually the exact smoothie concoction I make. Not everyday, but doing little things like eating well or making a decent meal or getting a work out in makes me feel like I'm winning.

And like someone else said, I need to minimize the time I spend being inactive. If I stay inactive for too long, I tend to beat myself up badly and failure starts to feel imminent.

And because I need to be very goal oriented in order to be active, it helps to set mini goals for the day. When I get through them, I'm more satisfied with myself and let myself feel proud. I also use lots of words of affirmation. Sometimes it's as simple as saying to myself "I'm a bad ass. I get shit done." or I'll examine my outfit and affirm to myself that "I'm really fucking cute. And charming".

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Blueprint Brett wrote:Like some others here, I'm a huge proponent of medication when necessary. And, for the good news, LSAC is pretty gracious in granting testing accommodations for mental health issues. If your anxiety is so severe and worse when you take the test, you should look into receiving some sort of testing accommodations for it. I tutored someone a while ago who had severe anxiety and was able to get 50 minutes/section. Check it out!
damn i was so anxious during the LSAT, I think i would have given a pinky for an extra 15 minutes a section

CheyenneGarrett17

New

Post by CheyenneGarrett17 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:40 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
Blueprint Brett wrote:Like some others here, I'm a huge proponent of medication when necessary. And, for the good news, LSAC is pretty gracious in granting testing accommodations for mental health issues. If your anxiety is so severe and worse when you take the test, you should look into receiving some sort of testing accommodations for it. I tutored someone a while ago who had severe anxiety and was able to get 50 minutes/section. Check it out!
damn i was so anxious during the LSAT, I think i would have given a pinky for an extra 15 minutes a section

Curious about this.

Anyone know the obstacles to getting an accommodation for something like anxiety during test-taking? Are exam accommodations through the students university enough? Or continual treatment/documentation?

Also, if granted, will schools be able to see that a student had accommodations? And if so, any thoughts on if that could negatively impact acceptances?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ws120

New

Post by ws120 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Unpopular opinion, but this may be an excuse. You can be highly depressed and high functioning. If you really believe your depression is interfering with studying for this test, absolutely go see a therapist and get medication. But don't use this as an excuse to say "I could have, but..." We see that all the time. There are a million reasons why someone can't spend effective time studying, but if you don't choose to eliminate those reasons you still have to live with the consequences. You'll be in the same boat as the person who sat in the library for 8 hours on his phone and finds his "studying" didn't pay off.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:07 pm

ws120 wrote:Unpopular opinion, but this may be an excuse. You can be highly depressed and high functioning. If you really believe your depression is interfering with studying for this test, absolutely go see a therapist and get medication. But don't use this as an excuse to say "I could have, but..." We see that all the time. There are a million reasons why someone can't spend effective time studying, but if you don't choose to eliminate those reasons you still have to live with the consequences. You'll be in the same boat as the person who sat in the library for 8 hours on his phone and finds his "studying" didn't pay off.
Less unpopular, more indicative of a common stigma against people with depression and/or anxiety. That is.. that they are people who simply are making excuses. Go back to the original comment. At what point did OP provide an excuse?

In posing a question at all, it's pretty clear that this person believes there is a way to study effectively/be highly functional even with their condition. No need to patronizingly repeat the obvious. It can be hugely invalidating to reduce someone's attempt to seek advice from ppl who may have experience dealing with a similar situation (sounds like this isn't you) to merely making excuses.

ws120

New

Post by ws120 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:45 am

YBF-W wrote:
ws120 wrote:Unpopular opinion, but this may be an excuse. You can be highly depressed and high functioning. If you really believe your depression is interfering with studying for this test, absolutely go see a therapist and get medication. But don't use this as an excuse to say "I could have, but..." We see that all the time. There are a million reasons why someone can't spend effective time studying, but if you don't choose to eliminate those reasons you still have to live with the consequences. You'll be in the same boat as the person who sat in the library for 8 hours on his phone and finds his "studying" didn't pay off.
Less unpopular, more indicative of a common stigma against people with depression and/or anxiety. That is.. that they are people who simply are making excuses. Go back to the original comment. At what point did OP provide an excuse?

In posing a question at all, it's pretty clear that this person believes there is a way to study effectively/be highly functional even with their condition. No need to patronizingly repeat the obvious. It can be hugely invalidating to reduce someone's attempt to seek advice from ppl who may have experience dealing with a similar situation (sounds like this isn't you) to merely making excuses.
I believe OP's question was how to "cope" with anxiety and depression and study effectively, which is a perfectly fair question. But if this is a medical condition, then go see a doctor or therapist instead of posting on a forum. It's always hard to "force" yourself to study because studying isn't fun (even for the LSAT). If OP is serious about fixing this problem, then he/she should seek medical help. But when you're a practicing attorney, waking up certain days and saying "I can't force myself to do the work" isn't an option. No one is stigmatizing an illness, but it's definitely possible to use illness as a crutch. And that can make those of us who "cope" with real problems seem insensitive to people who don't.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 am

ws120 wrote:
YBF-W wrote:

I believe OP's question was how to "cope" with anxiety and depression and study effectively, which is a perfectly fair question. But if this is a medical condition, then go see a doctor or therapist instead of posting on a forum. It's always hard to "force" yourself to study because studying isn't fun (even for the LSAT). If OP is serious about fixing this problem, then he/she should seek medical help. But when you're a practicing attorney, waking up certain days and saying "I can't force myself to do the work" isn't an option. No one is stigmatizing an illness, but it's definitely possible to use illness as a crutch. And that can make those of us who "cope" with real problems seem insensitive to people who don't.
Depression is a medical condition - It's not an "excuse." Those who haven't experienced it cannot understand how debilitating it is. It's not even close to the same as feeling unmotivated or unable to force yourself to study because studying isn't fun.

That said, OP should definitely seek medical help, if they aren't already. But that can (and often does) involve legitimate obstacles. There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting on an internet forum asking how others deal with the same problem.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 am

ws120 wrote:
YBF-W wrote:

Maybe because you are insensitive and ignorant as well? Where is this anger coming from? Attorneys have an absurdly high rate of depression and no, not everyone is able to force themselves to do the work. You are way off track with this post.

It's not simply an unpopular opinion, your view is factually inaccurate. Maybe things have changed since the 1950s and you just haven't caught up?

ws120

New

Post by ws120 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:22 am

Alexandros wrote:
ws120 wrote:
YBF-W wrote:

Depression is a medical condition - It's not an "excuse." Those who haven't experienced it cannot understand how debilitating it is. It's not even close to the same as feeling unmotivated or unable to force yourself to study because studying isn't fun.

That said, OP should definitely seek medical help, if they aren't already. But that can (and often does) involve legitimate obstacles. There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting on an internet forum asking how others deal with the same problem.
I couldn't agree more, and I hope OP gets the help he/she needs. But not trying to get that help and instead looking for an easier solution on TLS that doesn't exist seems like pushing the problem down the road. I know many people who have serious mental health problems, some of whom have gotten the help they need and others who haven't. And while I always encourage the ones who haven't to do so, they don't address the problem and it becomes an excuse for everything they do in life. I seriously encourage OP to realize this is a medical problem, not one that can be fixed from advice on TLS.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 am

ws120 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
ws120 wrote:
YBF-W wrote:

I couldn't agree more, and I hope OP gets the help he/she needs. But not trying to get that help and instead looking for an easier solution on TLS that doesn't exist seems like pushing the problem down the road. I know many people who have serious mental health problems, some of whom have gotten the help they need and others who haven't. And while I always encourage the ones who haven't to do so, they don't address the problem and it becomes an excuse for everything they do in life. I seriously encourage OP to realize this is a medical problem, not one that can be fixed from advice on TLS.
You're making a lot of assumptions here. OP may very well already be receiving professional care, and has never implied that they expect TLS alone to fix their condition. I don't think this is helpful.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 am

ws120 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
ws120 wrote:
YBF-W wrote:

Yes those people with mental health problems and their endless excuses. Why can't they just do what you tel them to?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”