The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Do y'all think intro economics would be good to have ... for the LSAT /life / OCI / doing something that's not law school ? Asking for a friend.
Honestly, probably not. Basic economics is fairly intuitive and is just putting formal education to a lot of stuff I, personally at least, find extremely intuitive. Then again, maybe there is something from micro or macro that I don't remember, but I don't think that's the case.
Mmm, ok. Might do something online or something as I have no econ background whatsoever (or business, etc. which could also be an issue).
Khan Academy has something on Macro and Micro; I was planning to check them out after seeing where my math skills might lack, so I can let you know then. IIRC, the finance section was kind of beyond a joke though.

Granted, the math section has taken forever, since it's required me to do really stupid shit. I guess I don't entirely understand how to operate the platform, but I received a basic arithmetic question followed immediately by some weird calculating volumes of shapes formed by curves using integrals.
Good to know. Econ seems math-y and I'm hoping ~5 semesters of math will sort of help alleviate my deficiencies in that area to anyone concerned, but it's obviously not the same at all.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm

[.
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Alexandros wrote: Good to know. Econ seems math-y and I'm hoping ~5 semesters of math will sort of help alleviate my deficiencies in that area to anyone concerned, but it's obviously not the same at all.
Eh - it's not math in a challenging math sense IMO. A lot of stuff in Economics, Finance, Managerial Accounting, etc. is more like problem-solving on steroids rather than necessarily challenging math, but I have somewhat limited exposure to the differing areas. Granted, super high level finance (like the work of quants) could maybe involve challenging math, but that's far beyond my realm of knowledge.
dj9i27 wrote: Wasn't G3 a lot like G3 in September. I misdiagrammed on that one and missed unnecessary points; something I'm going to be more cognizant next go around.
I dunno. I don't think it was, or, even if it was, I'm almost sure there are a few games that are almost identical logically and in subject matter. Like, I'm pretty sure there is a game that deals with centuries as a subgroup rather than type but is otherwise virtually identical.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm

[
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:03 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote: Good to know. Econ seems math-y and I'm hoping ~5 semesters of math will sort of help alleviate my deficiencies in that area to anyone concerned, but it's obviously not the same at all.
Eh - it's not math in a challenging math sense IMO. A lot of stuff in Economics, Finance, Managerial Accounting, etc. is more like problem-solving on steroids rather than necessarily challenging math, but I have somewhat limited exposure to the differing areas. Granted, super high level finance (like the work of quants) could maybe involve challenging math, but that's far beyond my realm of knowledge.
Ah ok. Sorta meant "shows I have the ability to think in a mathematical way/ deal with numbers" - in as much as people/programs who like econ/finance/etc backgrounds like people who can think logically/mathematically. But it's obviously not the same at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 pm

34iplaw wrote: I don't know how sure I am on a retake. I haven't really given a thought to seriously prepping yet. If I do, I suspect I'll be doing some back to basics LR since I seem to be a LGod and pretty strong at RC now.
How did you get to that point? i.e. "pretty strong at RC now?"

I've been avoiding RC in concentrating on LR :/

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote: December had a weird game the likes of viruses right? imma need to know when I create the "Lol TTT score" game packet.
September was a weird sequencing game, IIRC.

December was a brand new game. Personally, I found December easier, but I don't think there is a single game like it in LSAT history. (NO! It was not remotely the same thing as flasks!)
:(
If it helps, I'm pretty sure the third game from December was identical to two previous games they had with the same topic matter no less. I'd have to look for it, but I definitely got a little confused during December. I was almost positive I had done that third game before (obviously, not possible, but it was weird.)
Wasn't G3 a lot like G3 in September. I misdiagrammed on that one and missed unnecessary points; something I'm going to be more cognizant next go around.
The weird December game sounded a lot like the old watercolors/oil paintings 19/20 centuries game from the 90s (but I could be waay off since I never took that test and I have yet to see the preptest).

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote: December had a weird game the likes of viruses right? imma need to know when I create the "Lol TTT score" game packet.
September was a weird sequencing game, IIRC.

December was a brand new game. Personally, I found December easier, but I don't think there is a single game like it in LSAT history. (NO! It was not remotely the same thing as flasks!)
:(
If it helps, I'm pretty sure the third game from December was identical to two previous games they had with the same topic matter no less. I'd have to look for it, but I definitely got a little confused during December. I was almost positive I had done that third game before (obviously, not possible, but it was weird.)
Wasn't G3 a lot like G3 in September. I misdiagrammed on that one and missed unnecessary points; something I'm going to be more cognizant next go around.
The weird December game sounded a lot like the old watercolors/oil paintings 19/20 centuries game from the 90s (but I could be waay off since I never took that test and I have yet to see the preptest).
Yeah - I think that is the one I'm thinking about. I think it even had the same spatial relationship aspect.
ngogirl12 wrote:
34iplaw wrote: I don't know how sure I am on a retake. I haven't really given a thought to seriously prepping yet. If I do, I suspect I'll be doing some back to basics LR since I seem to be a LGod and pretty strong at RC now.
How did you get to that point? i.e. "pretty strong at RC now?"

I've been avoiding RC in concentrating on LR :/
Went from -5/-6 average to -0/-1 average with an actual -2 due to a really sloppy error. TBH, I treated it like games. I legit just read through passage after passage by subject testing out different methods. I forget if it was the Manhattan method I settled on or whether it was just while I was going through the book it all clicked. I just stopped focusing on details when reading and really tried to be true to that find every answer in the passage MO.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:12 pm

What do y'all think about law-related UG courses? Bad idea?
(Sorry if this is too off-topic. I genuinely don't want to hijack y'all's thread. it just feels... safe here somehow. )

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
You taking September? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:What do y'all think about law-related UG courses? Bad idea?
(Sorry if this is too off-topic. I genuinely don't want to hijack y'all's thread. it just feels... safe here somehow. )

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
Dun quote:
Damn, that's really cool to hear.

I figure they might sort of help me decide whether or not law is something I want to do with my life. Also, look interesting & would fulfill a requirement.
Only downside is probably brutally difficult, and maybe I should spend the last of UG avoiding law.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Alexandros wrote:

I figure they might sort of help me decide whether or not law is something I want to do with my life. Also, look interesting & would fulfill a requirement.
Only downside is probably brutally difficult, and maybe I should spend the last of UG avoiding law.
Whenever I set up my university schedule and I have breaks between classes that prevent me from going home in between, I usually see if there are any interesting lectures I can just sit in on. I've done that with a couple of UG law lectures... was able to get an idea of what it was all about without having to worry about workload.

Also, intro economics is easy peasy. Economics doesn't get particularly difficult until you get into stuff like econometrics.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
Dun quote:

So... This is going to sound really dumb and discredit everything I say.

I would take GPA easy baby classes to get you up to a 3.8 and then take a full ride somewhere in the T13. After your acceptance, study 2 weeks for the GRE and get a 170 and sit on it. Now, if you still want LS at the time of applications, go and even if you're on the fence also go because..... if you hate law at 2L you shouldn't have any debt and have a perfect GRE score.

This definitely isn't my plan
Ugh yes but wat r the easy classes does my skool even have any anymore.
also I have to get a degree in something.
But yeah that's credited.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Whenever I set up my university schedule and I have breaks between classes that prevent me from going home in between, I usually see if there are any interesting lectures I can just sit in on. I've done that with a couple of UG law lectures... was able to get an idea of what it was all about without having to worry about workload.

Also, intro economics is easy peasy. Economics doesn't get particularly difficult until you get into stuff like econometrics.
I feel like my uni probably does the sections thing for LS and it's obvious if you're not actually in the class, but one of these days I'm gonna sit on a bench outside and eavesdrop.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

yeet

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

180pedia

New

Post by 180pedia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Welp, I might as well post up shop here too?

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
So, personally I think Economics, Philosophy, and Latin will most prepare you for law school. But hey, what do I know, I'm a 0L!

Yeah, September feels like the plan! Thanks for all your support and help! Somehow, it feels like family, the original Septies! :wink:

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
Dun quote:

I would take GPA easy baby classes to get you up to a 3.8 and then take a full ride somewhere in the T13. After your acceptance, study 2 weeks for the GRE and get a 170 and sit on it. Now, if you still want LS at the time of applications, go and even if you're on the fence also go because..... if you hate law at 2L you shouldn't have any debt and have a perfect GRE score.

I completely agree with what Dj said. At the end of the day, your GPA is the MVP now that you have the LSAT in the bag. That said, you could always audit law related courses to see what your getting yourself into OR shadow a law student.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:45 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:yeet
U retaking?
We're all retaking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
Dun quote:

I completely agree with what Dj said. At the end of the day, your GPA is the MVP now that you have the LSAT in the bag. That said, you could always audit law related courses to see what your getting yourself into OR shadow a law student.
Thanks! I just don't really have a whole lot of options, course-wise - I have to meet a certain amount of 4000/5000 level requirements so I can't just bugger off and take History of Polka Dots, unfortunately. But GPA is definitely my priority.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Also
ngogirl12 wrote:
Dun quote:

Ugh yes but wat r the easy classes does my skool even have any anymore.
also I have to get a degree in something.
But yeah that's credited.
I wouldn't load up, but i would take 1 if you can to get a feel for it. You'll know right away if the topics interest you. I took 3 business law -related classes in UG and i got a pretty good idea if I would like LS--aka i would ;P. Although this may help you, I would really focus on the career aspect that LS provides rather than the classes itself though.

e: I would take economics if i were you too. Good to have that knowledge and i find it interesting. It may not help you excel in LS directly, but as an attorney down the road for sure especially if you decide to do Corporate law. It'll help w/ understanding the bigger picture.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm just here trying to buy and sell clothes, but these people don't realize that I'm not gonna sell some sweater for any less than 3x what I paid.

Damn all these haters trying to stifle my hustle that just don't understand price determination?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”