The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

twiix

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by twiix » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

dj9i27 wrote:today needs to end
goodnight sweet prince.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:today needs to end
goodnight sweet prince.
throwback.
ugh, I just got sad. I miss sweet, I really fucking miss him.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:
also let this be a lesson to TLS c/o 2020 to respect people's fucking privacy /forever pissed.
wait wot

I thought he left because he thought he should get off TLS since he's going into a professional path?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I thought it was just nimbus?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Texas would have cost me half as much to attend as Vanderbilt, I seriously don't get why they stood their ground and wouldn't negotiate. Unless they got the yield they needed from that wave of movement already. Which I doubt.

I know a guy who really wanted to go to Duke, wouldn't stop annoying them, and they still wouldn't bump him to the full. He tried the same at NYU and was denied the vandy. Ultimately his hand was forced and now he's going to Harvard because no one gave him a full ride, and his 2 favorite schools were at like 120k and staying put

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 pm

chargers21 wrote:Texas would have cost me half as much to attend as Vanderbilt, I seriously don't get why they stood their ground and wouldn't negotiate. Unless they got the yield they needed from that wave of movement already. Which I doubt.

I know a guy who really wanted to go to Duke, wouldn't stop annoying them, and they still wouldn't bump him to the full. He tried the same at NYU and was denied the vandy. Ultimately his hand was forced and now he's going to Harvard because no one gave him a full ride, and his 2 favorite schools were at like 120k and staying put
that is a fair split to take H imo. Duke at 120g before CoL is what 3/4 tuition? I might have qualms with that but damn it'd be a tough call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Tue May 23, 2017 5:01 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote: Alright, channeling my inner panhandler. IIRC duke is pretty negostion friendly, so if mich gave me $$$ duke may match them eh? UVA apparently is the inverse
Duke seems more than willing to go to 120k, but not higher. If you got 150k from mich they wouldn't match, I don't think. UVA seems like a bunch of dicks.

On the negotiation front, Vandy just accepted me and offered me a low scholarship recently (like 30k short of the average/median for my numbers, which sometimes get full from them). They shot me down on negotiations, basically telling me duke isn't worth 15k more than them. Like, whatever dudes. You do you.
Duke > Vandy.

But I don't plan on applying to Vandy. But if I do, it's only for negotiation purposes - I'd never actually go.
If Vandy fed slightly better into Biglaw I would go. Nashville is the most fun you will ever have in your life if you are sociable. I would live there in a heartbeat if the job market was there.
I've heard Nashville is a good time but I'm not sure I'll be applying to any "southern" states (excluding Texas) with the intentions of actually going.

A friend of mine recently graduated from UAlabama law and insists I consider it. That's also a very firm no. George Mason is on my list, but that's NoVA.
Why George Mason but no southern schools? Typically, people who avoid southern schools seem to be averse to stereotypical portrayals of conservative southern culture, but George Mason is amongst the most conservative schools in the country.
I already live in Arlington and two of my uncles, an aunt, and my supervisor went there for law school. I've also visited (UG) a few times and never really witnessed any extreme conservatism (not saying it isn't there but I haven't seen anything like that).

For example, I have family in Dallas and La Porte and the vibe is extremely different. I couldn't do La Porte but Dallas is cool.
So does that mean you would also consider UVA, Vandy, and Duke? I'm confused what your cutoff is in regard to not going south. I'm not well-versed in southern culture so I couldn't tell you the difference between the culture in Alrington vs. Durham (although I visited Nashville once and really enjoyed it, despite my ambivalence towards the country music scene)
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Tue May 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Texas would have cost me half as much to attend as Vanderbilt, I seriously don't get why they stood their ground and wouldn't negotiate. Unless they got the yield they needed from that wave of movement already. Which I doubt.

that is a fair split to take H imo. Duke at 120g before CoL is what 3/4 tuition? I might have qualms with that but damn it'd be a tough call.
Depends how much you're looking at at H imo.
Yeah I'm not sure what goals applicant X had that led to NYU, Duke, and Harvard being the top 3 options. Duke isn't known for PI, so part of me presumes BL, but then taking Harvard over substantial NYU/Duke money doesn't really make sense. :?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote: So does that mean you would also consider UVA, Vandy, and Duke? I'm confused what your cutoff is in regard to not going south. I'm not well-versed in southern culture so I couldn't tell you the difference between the culture in Alrington vs. Durham (although I visited Nashville once and really enjoyed it, despite my ambivalence towards the country music scene)
UVA and Duke will take you out of the south. Bama would mean you're more or less stuck in Alabama because it's so insulated. George Mason over Bama makes sense if you want VA, but not AL, long term. Agree that George Mason is insanely conservative tho.
I've never been to Duke so I can't really speak on it, but a few of my friends went there for UG and speak very highly of it. I'd have to visit a few times, of course.

Arlington is basically a suburb of DC - no one would really consider it the south. It's more similar to Maryland than other parts of VA. I absolutely love Arlington. I'd apply to Vanderbilt but I know for a fact I'd find every reason not to attend. I don't have an opinion on UVA aside from the fact that it's a good school and a few of the attorneys at my firm went there for law school.

I also don't have an opinion on GM being crazy conservative because I've never experienced that. But it's so close to home I doubt I'd care much.
Last edited by chewinggum on Tue May 23, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vroman350

New

Post by Vroman350 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Checking in registered for the September LSAT at New York law

Operadreamer

New

Post by Operadreamer » Tue May 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey guys. Long time lurker here. Just joining the list of you all taking September. Wishing everyone well with the studying so far.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
So here I am.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote: So does that mean you would also consider UVA, Vandy, and Duke? I'm confused what your cutoff is in regard to not going south. I'm not well-versed in southern culture so I couldn't tell you the difference between the culture in Alrington vs. Durham (although I visited Nashville once and really enjoyed it, despite my ambivalence towards the country music scene)
UVA and Duke will take you out of the south. Bama would mean you're more or less stuck in Alabama because it's so insulated. George Mason over Bama makes sense if you want VA, but not AL, long term. Agree that George Mason is insanely conservative tho.
I've never been to Duke so I can't really speak on it, but a few of my friends went there for UG and speak very highly of it. I'd have to visit a few times, of course.

Arlington is basically a suburb of DC - no one would really consider it the south. It's more similar to Maryland than other parts of VA. I absolutely love Arlington. I'd apply to Vanderbilt but I know for a fact I'd find every reason not to attend. I don't have an opinion on UVA aside from the fact that it's a good school and a few of the attorneys at my firm went there for law school.

I also don't have an opinion on GM being crazy conservative because I've never experienced that. But it's so close to home I doubt I'd care much.
"Antonin Scalia School of Law"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote: "Antonin Scalia School of Law"
Lol I see what you did there.

But yea, I've only visited the UG. I'd have to visit and get a feel of every school before I attached them to my credit report for the next decade(s).

I pretty much have my hopes set on NYU/Columbia though. Everywhere else is just if my tears aren't enough for CN

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 pm

chewinggum wrote:

But yea, I've only visited the UG. I'd have to visit and get a feel of every school before I attached them to my credit report for the next decade(s).

I pretty much have my hopes set on NYU/Columbia though. Everywhere else is just if my tears aren't enough for CN
I have CN dreams as well. Need that 173+ :P

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Depends how much you're looking at at H imo.
Yeah I'm not sure what goals applicant X had that led to NYU, Duke, and Harvard being the top 3 options. Duke isn't known for PI, so part of me presumes BL, but then taking Harvard over substantial NYU/Duke money doesn't really make sense. :?
BL aspirations and from an Ivy ug. So I'm betting he has money and didn't get much aid from Harvard. Personally, if I had no t13 fulls and got into Harvard I would go. I feel like that helps you beyond getting your first job out of LS. Apparently I didn't feel the same about UChi :oops:

As far as those 3 being his options, Columbia and Penn didn't offer much, Chicago and UVA WLed him, and he wasn't interested in Michigan. He REALLY liked Duke but thought he was worth more money, and NYU just happened to have offered him as much as Duke and he used to live in NYC and planned on returning so it kind of would have been easier on moving post law school. He was definitely right in that weird number spot where you get into Harvard and it kind of makes sense to go

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:56 pm

chewinggum wrote:

Law schools love the taste of tears, they feed on them :twisted:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:40 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com/Sysyphus

URM but waitlist is a waitlist.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm

dj9i27 wrote:lawschoolnumbers.com/Sysyphus

URM but waitlist is a waitlist.
LOL @ Houston "he's worth 90k"

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”