The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

34iplaw

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:51 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Way too lazy to properly quote all the proper messages.

RE CLS #4: I view CCN as peers, but I wouldn't really argue that CC outpace N by a sliver.

RE Sept: May join you depending what I find out after waitlist hell.

RE LIVE FROM NEW YORK, IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!
When you think you'll make a decision on Sept? If so, want to be old Sept2k16 ellien gray virus dumpsterfire splitter study buddies?

Praise Stanny
TBD - probably depends on NYU response and some WLs. If it doesn't work, I'll be gunning for accelerated JDMBAs... looking at youPenn and CLS.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:55 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Eastern Europe is also brilliant, particularly the Balkans. Very affordable and accessible for all, and there's a great mix of culture, history, nightlife, nature, nice and rough areas, etc. I preferred it to most of Western Europe honestly.
Eastern Europe's amazing. Have you been to Romania? Coolest country. Would love to go back and see more of the region.
Macedonia is the closest I've got to the Balkans but it looks gorgeous.
I have been to Romania! Really really beautiful place, with incredibly kind people. I'm desperate to go back for more. It's crazy that there's still such a generally negative view of Eastern Europe in North America. Don't quote this, but I felt safer as a tiny white gal in Eastern Europe than I did in a good chunk of Western Europe, lol.

Macedonia is such a bizarre place. Skopje might be the weirdest city I've ever been to. I know it's "touristy" but Lake Ohrid in Macedonia is friggin' beautiful. One of the prettiest places I've ever been. There are places like that all over the Balkans. It's getting more popular now though, especially since Game of Thrones started filming there. :(
I'm from Eastern Europe, and I think people should definitely visit. It's different enough to where you're experiencing something totally new, in Western Europe it's amazing but sometimes I felt like it was too similar to the US. The Balkans have their own thing going on. Hitting Dubrovnik in the summer is a must, Belgrade has some serious nightlife, Montenegro has great beaches as well. You could always venture away from the tourist areas, I'd bring someone who speaks the language along with you, just to avoid the language barrier. I know in my hometown you wouldn't get too far only speaking English haha.
I agree, although I don't think Western Europe is anything like the US. The tourism industry in Western Europe is just much more developed and less intimidating for people. That's definitely starting to change though. Croatia, especially Dubrovnik, is every bit as expensive and touristy as Western Europe now! Belgrade is wild. Might be my favourite capital city outside of London. I did visit every country in the Balkans (except Kosovo, whatever your opinion is on that, lol), but I'd love to go back and rent a car and have more time. I found a lot of people were just surprised and excited that someone was interested in visiting their country/city!
If you haven't been, Novi Sad in Serbia is a really cool city, although it still has some scars from the 1999 NATO bombing. Sabac during "vašar" towards the end of September is pretty crazy too. Bosnia can be a little rough around the edges but there are definitely cool places outside of Sarajevo and Mostar, Bosnia has a lot of natural beauty. You're right about Dubrovnik, most of the Croatian coast is like that. I'd avoid Kosovo lol.

You're right about Western Europe being different from the US, I articulated that poorly, I think it just sort of has a more "familiar" feel than Eastern Europe might for people who are from the US. Probably since, like you said, the tourism industry is more developed.

I'm visiting Dublin in September so if you've been and have any tips/suggestions I'd love to hear them!
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm definitely hoping to go back sometime in the near future, so I'll keep them in mind. I must admit I did stick mainly to the more known areas, as I was alone and young and had never travelled before, but I'd love to see some more. :lol:

It's definitely more familiar, but I think that's a bit of a trap. People tend to be so off guard in Western Europe because they don't realise that there are more people in those major cities trying to scam them or grab their bags than in the rest of Europe, lol.

I have some friends who live in Dublin, so I'll ask them and PM you later!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:18 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

RE CLS #4: I view CCN as peers, but I wouldn't really argue that CC outpace N by a sliver.

When you think you'll make a decision on Sept? If so, want to be old Sept2k16 ellien gray virus dumpsterfire splitter study buddies?

Praise Stanny
TBD - probably depends on NYU response and some WLs. If it doesn't work, I'll be gunning for accelerated JDMBAs... looking at youPenn and CLS.
Is negotiating scholarship for the JDMBA program the same as normal JD's? I've always wanted to do this option, but the sheer amount of debt I would be facing is ridiculous.. and I feel like they would be very likely to lowball you since they know how limited your options are.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:13 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
CLS is #1 !!! <3333
SLS is God, I will fight for them if they accept me.
me too

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Praise Stanny
Is negotiating scholarship for the JDMBA program the same as normal JD's? I've always wanted to do this option, but the sheer amount of debt I would be facing is ridiculous.. and I feel like they would be very likely to lowball you since they know how limited your options are.
Applications to the different components of the program are entirely separate. Well, that's what they say. For admissions, I'm sure there is a kernel of truth, but I imagine it is somewhat helpful as top JDMBAs are a much more narrow focus and could be a compelling reason for choosing a particular school. On the flip side, I could see it lending itself to being slightly more stingy, as they know you are set on that program. That said, I don't really think JD/MBAs are a terribly great idea outside of the three-year options. The kids at UPenn I met said it's a great program, because they felt that 3L is a lot of "filler" classes so you basically get to take classes you feel are more applicable. That said, MBA scholarships are far rarer than law school ones AFAIK.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Sorry to stray from the typical non-lsat themed shitpost here boys..

What was all of your strategies for RC? Did anyone follow a specific notation strategy? Or did you guys find the most success in a non-notation, memory based method? I hate RC :x

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 pm

TWiiX wrote:Sorry to stray from the typical non-lsat themed shitpost here boys..

What was all of your strategies for RC? Did anyone follow a specific notation strategy? Or did you guys find the most success in a non-notation, memory based method? I hate RC :x
TBH, I think RC requires just trying different methods. I went from -5 to -6 wrong on a section typically to -0 or -1 on a section with an actual -2 (a really careless mistake). I tried memory method from 7Sage which didn't work for me (but I think it helped my reading skills). I read Blueprint to no avail. Manhattan Prep and reading through passages by type worked for me. Reading faster and not trusting my memory (kind of related) is what did it for me.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

OH MAN - NEW SILICON VALLEY TONIGHT. HAPPY DAYS!

(I really need this.)

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm

34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Sorry to stray from the typical non-lsat themed shitpost here boys..

TBH, I think RC requires just trying different methods. I went from -5 to -6 wrong on a section typically to -0 or -1 on a section with an actual -2 (a really careless mistake). I tried memory method from 7Sage which didn't work for me (but I think it helped my reading skills). I read Blueprint to no avail. Manhattan Prep and reading through passages by type worked for me. Reading faster and not trusting my memory (kind of related) is what did it for me.
that's good info. I'm stuck between a bunch of different methods and I didn't know which to do.. They all seem to contradict each other. The active reading seminar from 7sage basically emphasis structure of the passage, including main points and what have you. Nicole's (ilovelsat) notation strategy basically disregards the main point and support (everything the active reading one went off of). I know JY uses no notation at all. And then I have The LSAT Trainer, blueprint and Manhattan books. It would feel like a huge waste of time to look over all of these strategies without taking stuff away from them.

I think (based off what you said), I'll continue to go through the trainer, then do 7sage's memory method, which should help some weaknesses that I have, and proceed to notate based on whatever feels comfortable after that. That way I am benefiting from each source at least, and not just reading something and throwing it away.

Can anyone speak if MH/BP's books are worth while if I have the rest of the material I mentioned previously lined up to knock down?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 pm

34iplaw wrote:OH MAN - NEW SILICON VALLEY TONIGHT. HAPPY DAYS!

(I really need this.)
Lol that show is everything I wanted in a tv series. I watched the first two seasons but haven't kept up with it at all. Maybe after this test is over I can go back to my binge-watching tendencies that got me through UG.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Frantically prints out every miscellaneous game 5 times in fear of september 2k16 fail v.2.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 pm

TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:OH MAN - NEW SILICON VALLEY TONIGHT. HAPPY DAYS!

(I really need this.)
Lol that show is everything I wanted in a tv series. I watched the first two seasons but haven't kept up with it at all. Maybe after this test is over I can go back to my binge-watching tendencies that got me through UG.
It's really amazing. The casting is absolutely perfect. One of my friends who is in SF at a biotech firm said it's a little too on the nose sometimes. That show has made me fall in love with the TJ Miller character archetype - a really arrogant, but bright person, with little to no reason to be arrogant.

RE: RC, Manhattan is definitely worth it IMO. BP I wouldn't necessarily go for. While BP has good materials, I find their material is a little too 'New Age' or whatever the "making learning fun!" term should be.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Frantically prints out every miscellaneous game 5 times in fear of september 2k16 fail v.2.
December was some mind-fuckery. I did that game in like three minutes, and I was like... uhm.... that can't be right... I was on LG fire during that test. I finished my experimental section 5-8 minutes early (checking it and all)... super weird to be sitting there doing nothing for that long.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Frantically prints out every miscellaneous game 5 times in fear of september 2k16 fail v.2.
December was some mind-fuckery. I did that game in like three minutes, and I was like... uhm.... that can't be right... I was on LG fire during that test. I finished my experimental section 5-8 minutes early (checking it and all)... super weird to be sitting there doing nothing for that long.
So it was easy,eh? When I did PT77 long ago I found G3 to be easy but from what I recall of 72 and September I had a mental block. I am also counting 79 as fresh since I was blacked out 90% of the test.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
So it was easy,eh? When I did PT77 long ago I found G3 to be easy but from what I recall of 72 and September I had a mental block. I am also counting 79 as fresh since I was blacked out 90% of the test.
3rd game was harder than 4th. 4th game had one super ridiculously way of solving it that sort of clicked the second I saw it, because I am obsessed with interchangeable variables.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
3rd game was harder than 4th. 4th game had one super ridiculously way of solving it that sort of clicked the second I saw it, because I am obsessed with interchangeable variables.
I need to figure out how to do these fucking weird ones. I swear to god throw any grouping game at me and I'll go -0 in 8 minutes max; weird games I freeze up and stare into space.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 am

VEEP just came on after Silicon Valley. There is a great and relevant exchange regarding how many TLSers likely feel about VEEP.

"Also, we just heard back from Yale and their response was emphatic. It's a no."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 am

dj9i27 wrote: I am also counting 79 as fresh since I was blacked out 90% of the test.
RT RT RT RT RT

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am

Who has more prestige: H or S?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am

I've never left the country so yall lost me

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Who has more prestige: H or S?
not on TLS not on TLS not on TLS not on TLS not on TLS not on TLS
Lay prestige?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 pm

:cry:
Alexandros wrote:
Lay prestige?
yes...
and what happened to your Tar

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:28 pm

dj9i27 wrote::cry:
Alexandros wrote:
Lay prestige?
yes...
and what happened to your Tar
H by a hair, varies depending on how far or close the person you're asking is to California and how familiar they are with movie/musical Legally Blonde vs book Legally Blonde.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm starting to think if my idea of having no job and full time LSAT studying during the summer is the right path or not. It's what I originally intended, but I feel like having at least a part-time to save some money would be good. I have the opportunity to not work and just LSAT study, but I'm not sure what I want to do.

My average for each section is like:
LG: -0 to -2
LR: -0 to -3 per section (total -1 to -6)
RC: lol anywhere from -6 to -13

e: my RC score is from the previous PTs I did at the very beginning of this year. Been slowly improving though by tons of drilling so my avg for RC maybe be better now.

Opinions please! Study full-time in the summer or get a part-time job/part-time LSAT?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Mikey wrote:I'm starting to think if my idea of having no job and full time LSAT studying during the summer is the right path or not. It's what I originally intended, but I feel like having at least a part-time to save some money would be good. I have the opportunity to not work and just LSAT study, but I'm not sure what I want to do.

My average for each section is like:
LG: -0 to -2
LR: -0 to -3 per section (total -1 to -6)
RC: lol anywhere from -6 to -13

Opinions please! Study full-time in the summer or get a part-time job/part-time LSAT?
I'd get the part-time job and see if you can't make some money to help pay interest on whatever loans you might be taking in LS when you have 0 income.

Really speaking, let's say you work 20 hours as week/4 hours per weekday. Still gives you plenty of time to study in the day. Or just chill out and only do LSAT. What feels right? Could be a cool time to pickup some new skills

EDIT: Oh and given the RC score, I'd subscribe to a nice heady newspaper and read at least the A section cover to cover every morning. Plus Bloomberg Businessweek, but I'm biased.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”