The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Took PT 66 today and got my worst PT score yet at 169 with -6 on a 23-question LG section

Any tips on how to improve on games? I didn't BR this test but I could solve the questions I got wrong pretty easily after the test. I think the time is making my mind less rational, as my LR and RC sections are consistently good/great, and I typically finish each section with 5+ minutes to spare.
How can I translate that pace and accuracy to LG? I realize LG is touted as particularly learnable especially for "high scorers," but I feel like it is becoming a thorn in my side.
Should I review the LG bible, drill more, something else? :|
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Are people who are working full time taking practice tests under test conditions after work/early morning?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

chewinggum wrote:Are people who are working full time taking practice tests under test conditions after work/early morning?
I was doing them on the weekend or in the afternoon and took a 1/2 day from work. Very rarely did I do it after doing a full day of work.

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Going to start daily logging my LSAT work, in part to hold myself accountable.

Drilled 5 game sections, total of (-2) with average time of 30mins per section.
Drilled 73 MBT/inference questions (-0)
Took PT 40 and BRed it, noted a couple questions I want to break down tomorrow. Scored 174 (LR: -3, LG: -1, RC: -3)

Still need to break through LR and RC plateau, stuck at a couple wrong each section. Will probably hit LG and drill some assumption question types tomorrow.

I really want to get an LG insurance policy for September, so I am probably going go through 7Sage and put together 5 games drill packs with level 4 and 5 games to finish in under 35.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 pm

vtdelt wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Are people who are working full time taking practice tests under test conditions after work/early morning?
I was doing them on the weekend or in the afternoon and took a 1/2 day from work. Very rarely did I do it after doing a full day of work.
Yea, I'm thinking about in a few weeks when I switch to 2x/week, doing Sat-Sun doesn't seem like the best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Csupo

New

Post by Csupo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 pm

HesusChrist wrote:Going to start daily logging my LSAT work, in part to hold myself accountable.

Took PT 40 and BRed it, noted a couple questions I want to break down tomorrow. Scored 174 (LR: -3, LG: -1, RC: -3)

Still need to break through LR and RC plateau, stuck at a couple wrong each section. Will probably hit LG and drill some assumption question types tomorrow.

I really want to get an LG insurance policy for September, so I am probably going go through 7Sage and put together 5 games drill packs with level 4 and 5 games to finish in under 35.
Wooow, incredibly jealous of your Inference skills lol. I happen to do the worst in those question types. I find that my inclination to find something wrong with arguments, which usually serves me well in Flaw question types, completely screws me over in Inference/most strongly supported questions.

Do you have any tips to improve on these questions? I have the Powerscore and Manhattan LR books, but haven't gotten to them yet. Have only read through the Trainer and going through 7sage right now.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Mikey wrote:I did like 2 PTs like 2 weeks ago then stopped lol fml

where can I find some motivation to give a shit anymore
we can start a group

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 pm

chewinggum wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
Yea, I'm thinking about in a few weeks when I switch to 2x/week, doing Sat-Sun doesn't seem like the best option.
2 hours of my day goes to my commute so I don't really have the time to do it during the week. Though I've read and seen that if you're gonna PT during the week, best to do it during the morning before work when you're fresh. On the flip side, you can build some endurance after work though more than likely you'll be too tired and end up wasting an exam. I don't think doing Sat-Sun is a bad idea?

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:Is anyone getting a little nervous that the test will be here quicker before you are ready?
Yes, the test will be here quicker than you want it to. You'll want at least an extra month to get ready, and if you got an extra month, you'd probably want another month after that too.
You're right, I guess we all want to delay what's coming for us.

Fortunately, LR is really starting to click! I started following PithyPikes and it is really nice to have a structure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Csupo wrote:Going to start daily logging my LSAT work, in part to hold myself accountable.

Wooow, incredibly jealous of your Inference skills lol. I happen to do the worst in those question types. I find that my inclination to find something wrong with arguments, which usually serves me well in Flaw question types, completely screws me over in Inference/most strongly supported questions.

Do you have any tips to improve on these questions? I have the Powerscore and Manhattan LR books, but haven't gotten to them yet. Have only read through the Trainer and going through 7sage right now.
What works for me is asking myself if each answer choice has to be true. I don't even think about arguments, as MBTs generally are not arguments at all. Usually you can get rid of three answer choices off the bat because they have no support at all.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 am

clueless801 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
2 hours of my day goes to my commute so I don't really have the time to do it during the week. Though I've read and seen that if you're gonna PT during the week, best to do it during the morning before work when you're fresh. On the flip side, you can build some endurance after work though more than likely you'll be too tired and end up wasting an exam. I don't think doing Sat-Sun is a bad idea?
Waking up early to drill is definitely doable (I have a few times). But waking up to PT sounds good but isn't likely for me. I can't see myself waking up at 2-3 am to take a 4 hour test then head to work for 9 hours lol. Taking a half days sounds like a good plan but I've been hoarding my PTO so I can take 1-2 weeks off right before the test

Sat-Sun just doesn't seem beneficial. I'd rather PT Sat/Sun, BR, drill whatever patterns I notice, then PT again (prob like Tues/Wed), and repeat. Back to back PT's would make me feel like I'm wasting a test unless I'm scoring really high.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am

chewinggum wrote: Waking up early to drill is definitely doable (I have a few times). But waking up to PT sounds good but isn't likely for me. I can't see myself waking up at 2-3 am to take a 4 hour test then head to work for 9 hours lol. Taking a half days sounds like a good plan but I've been hoarding my PTO so I can take 1-2 weeks off right before the test

Sat-Sun just doesn't seem beneficial. I'd rather PT Sat/Sun, BR, drill whatever patterns I notice, then PT again (prob like Tues/Wed), and repeat. Back to back PT's would make me feel like I'm wasting a test unless I'm scoring really high.
Yea I don't think that would work. The only thing that would be useful would be, if you could do it, is take the 1/2 day and do the PT in the morning to get your brain/body used to the time the actual LSAT will be (I did my PTs for June in the afternoon on the weekends since the test was at 12:30) then go to work or if you can telework logon after lunch.

I took most of the last week off before the test and used the other week I had saved up for the sporadic 1/2 days. If possible maybe talk to work about putting in an extra hour like M-Thurs and leaving early Friday to PT if they're flexible? I did that as well.

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Alright so Im studying for a Sept retake now. Did June LSAT, messed up on the last section (was LG and fifth section, time + anxiety + tiredness) and cancelled my score. I have the lsat trainer, and the powerscore LR and LG bibles. Going to follow TLS1776's advice/plan + voyager rc.

BTW:

For June, I only studied for like a month (tbh maybe 3 weeks of focused studying) and essentially didnt bother with the powerscore bibles. Diagnostic around 153-54 (err, second PT after like a day of studying was 160). Was PT'ing around 164-170 (all over the place really). Going in hoping for around 168.

However, my goals have now shifted. I am giving myself the next threeish months now (I might take a school course but havent made up my mind, advice?, its a history course and three weeks long from july 5-28 - keep in mind my fall term does begin Sep 6 but I will be completely focused on lsat till the 16th). I am essentially going all out and aiming for a score as high as possible (hopefully a 180).

Any advice on study schedules I should follow, other books to buy, whether I should in fact take that course or not, etc?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Depends on how early you have to be in, but I would try early morning..After work could be brutal unless you take a quick nap, but even that might not help depending on how demanding your job is.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 pm

If you go -0 on a game, do you guys still watch the 7-Sage video? Would this help strengthen you maybe to complete this game faster.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:If you go -0 on a game, do you guys still watch the 7-Sage video? Would this help strengthen you maybe to complete this game faster.
I try to! Kinda depends on how I'm feeling for the day and also for the game tbh. I can do linear games easy so I haven't really watched videos for those, especially since the diagram is pretty straightforward. I definitely do it for grouping games though because the diagrams with those could be different.

tombrady69

New

Post by tombrady69 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm

HesusChrist wrote:Going to start daily logging my LSAT work, in part to hold myself accountable.

All in one day??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:If you go -0 on a game, do you guys still watch the 7-Sage video? Would this help strengthen you maybe to complete this game faster.
It depends. If I'm not fast enough then I will drill until I am fast according to the time limit I want to be in.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Butting in on your September thread again but yes! There's always something to learn from those videos, maybe you managed to brute force your way through a few answers when there was an inference you missed. There have definitely been times I've gone -0 while not fully breaking down and understanding a game. It definitely won't hurt to watch the videos anyway.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Anyone know which logic games are centered on compound conditional rules? I understand the used/new CD game pretty well but would def love the extra practice of breaking down the compound conditionals!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 pm

clueless801 wrote:Anyone know which logic games are centered on compound conditional rules? I understand the used/new CD game pretty well but would def love the extra practice of breaking down the compound conditionals!
Would love to know the answer to this as well, but I know that the 7Sage question bank also breaks things down pretty nicely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Anyone have a thread which orders the LGs

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Drilled 5 game sections (-2) with about 6 mins to spare for each. Drilled 40 disagreement Qs, went -1 on a particularly difficult one.

Took PT41, scored 179 (LR -1, RC -1, LG -1). Even though I know the 40s and 50s are slightly easier, it still feels good to be getting in range :)

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm narrowing down my issues with LR. A lot of times I end up split between two answer choices on flaw questions regarding whether the argument fails to consider or takes something for granted. I attempted the drill in the Trainer and just confused myself even more. I can make an argument for each answer.

Ex.
PT53, S3, Q17

I know there are other reasons why one of the ac's is incorrect, but I spend a ton of time stuck on this questions.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any tips?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 pm

HesusChrist wrote:Drilled 5 game sections (-2) with about 6 mins to spare for each. Drilled 40 disagreement Qs, went -1 on a particularly difficult one.

Took PT41, scored 179 (LR -1, RC -1, LG -1). Even though I know the 40s and 50s are slightly easier, it still feels good to be getting in range :)
Yo how are you making time for this? That's a fantastic place to be in though, kudos

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”