The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 pm

I think my order of preference for BL is California, Chicago, London, Toronto/DC, NYC, Texas. :P
Last edited by oopsu812 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I think my order of preference for BL is California, Chicago, Toronto/London/DC, NYC, Texas. :P
CA is very high on my list too. You still gotta deal with the crazy CoL but the hours seem less bad, plus location.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Y'all know how Chi BL hours/lifestyle compare to NYC?
I don't know about it for sure but I don't think Chi is as crazy as NY BL. I know it's not the same but I have a friend who works in investment banking in NY and from her business trips in Chicago it sounds like it's a bit slower.
Tx remains superior for WL balance but you have to deal with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mo ... olitician)
Because this is our world.
Dear God. :|

TX is best and I'd prefer it to Chi but it's hard (though not impossible) to break into without ties from a t14. Whereas Chi seems to be pretty easy if you're at UChi (or prob NU).
from what I've been reading, TX market took a bit of a hit from the whole oil and gas industry not being great. There is a chance that it'll be on the upswing towards your OCI but not mine most likely.
Chi is 2 in my book if I go down the BL route.
If Chi >>> NYC in terms of lifestyle, hours, FT requirements, &c then that's another point in favor of UChi - if you can't get secondary market of choice (TX or whatever) it doesn't look like it's hard to get Chi.

I notice the if - are you thinking non-BL?
Tx biglaw remains my primary goal, especially if in crippling debt (hopefully avoidable). However PI is starting to dominate my mindset since some of the work I do is philanthropic in nature. I'd like to try and make a difference.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I think my order of preference for BL is California, Chicago, Toronto/London/DC, NYC, Texas. :P
CA is very high on my list too. You still gotta deal with the crazy CoL but the hours seem less bad, plus location.
California (generally speaking) has everything for someone like me. Great weather, very liberal, my hobbies are centred in Cali, etc.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:16 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I think my order of preference for BL is California, Chicago, London, Toronto/DC, NYC, Texas. :P
Mine is Charlotte, Atlanta, Texas, Chicago, California, DC, whatever is left that pays close to NYC starting pay, then NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Y'all know how Chi BL hours/lifestyle compare to NYC?
I don't know about it for sure but I don't think Chi is as crazy as NY BL. I know it's not the same but I have a friend who works in investment banking in NY and from her business trips in Chicago it sounds like it's a bit slower.
Tx remains superior for WL balance but you have to deal with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mo ... olitician)
Because this is our world.
Dear God. :|

TX is best and I'd prefer it to Chi but it's hard (though not impossible) to break into without ties from a t14. Whereas Chi seems to be pretty easy if you're at UChi (or prob NU).
from what I've been reading, TX market took a bit of a hit from the whole oil and gas industry not being great. There is a chance that it'll be on the upswing towards your OCI but not mine most likely.
Chi is 2 in my book if I go down the BL route.
If Chi >>> NYC in terms of lifestyle, hours, FT requirements, &c then that's another point in favor of UChi - if you can't get secondary market of choice (TX or whatever) it doesn't look like it's hard to get Chi.

I notice the if - are you thinking non-BL?
Tx biglaw remains my primary goal, especially if in crippling debt (hopefully avoidable). However PI is starting to dominate my mindset since some of the work I do is philanthropic in nature. I'd like to try and make a difference.
Know what you mean. I'm hoping life experience between now and LS will give me a better idea, because I waffle a lot on that. also wanna find out how hard it is to lateral from PI to the private sector if you get resentful about salaries and decide you need ca$h (although I guess the odds of that happening if you get through all of LS and the job hunt PI-oriented are pretty slim).

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
California (generally speaking) has everything for someone like me. Great weather, very liberal, my hobbies are centred in Cali, etc.
Yeah, it's definitely one of my favorite states.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Alexandros wrote: Know what you mean. I'm hoping life experience between now and LS will give me a better idea, because I waffle a lot on that. also wanna find out how hard it is to lateral from PI to the private sector if you get resentful about salaries and decide you need ca$h (although I guess the odds of that happening if you get through all of LS and the job hunt PI-oriented are pretty slim).
Look for internships or volunteering spots that aren't just shuffling papers to get a representative idea. I thought it was damn near impossible to land private sector after a job with PI.

The off chance I get dillard or something, I'd totally be PI orientated.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Do you think if we all talk about how great Berkeley is SweetTort will come back.

I'll start: BerkBerkBerk >>>>>>>> UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:Do you think if we all talk about how great Berkeley is SweetTort will come back.

my loyalty can be bought. if Berk ponies up, I love them forever and everyone else is bad.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Do you think if we all talk about how great Berkeley is SweetTort will come back.

my loyalty can be bought. if Berk ponies up, I love them forever and everyone else is bad.
If you were on the Berkeley thread right now, you wouldn't be getting your hopes at all for Berk (and I know you were being hypothetical). Apparently since I didn't receive an offer this Sunday, I am getting no offered by Berk. How can that possibly be good for yield? I'm above medians there, why tf would I go for sticker? Sorry for the saltiness, but the fact that they aren't even going to send an email telling me I'm getting nothing is even worse than not offering anything

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

Seriously, excluding YS, I think I'd choose Berk provided the money was there.

ETA: Although judging by everyone's posts, maybe I should look into them a bit more lol
Last edited by oopsu812 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:40 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

If you were on the Berkeley thread right now, you wouldn't be getting your hopes at all for Berk (and I know you were being hypothetical). Apparently since I didn't receive an offer this Sunday, I am getting no offered by Berk. How can that possibly be good for yield? I'm above medians there, why tf would I go for sticker? Sorry for the saltiness, but the fact that they aren't even going to send an email telling me I'm getting nothing is even worse than not offering anything
Lmao Berk is like 14th on my list, I'd probably choose ut over Berk. I don't know what they are doing, you figure dropping so much would be a wakeup call but apparently not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

I want my sweettort back

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:46 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Lmao Berk is like 14th on my list, I'd probably choose ut over Berk. I don't know what they are doing, you figure dropping so much would be a wakeup call but apparently not.
I'm almost certain they no offered a 178/3.8 also. Like, why did they accept that person if they knew they weren't going to offer enough to even get their attention? Berk is cray cray. Quickly bumped from my top 3, now behind cold UM which places into my least favorable NYC market if that says something

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Mikey wrote:I want my sweettort back

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I would chose a mythical full-ride at Berk over a lot of things because of location. Sadly, BerkBerk is brokebroke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I would chose a mythical full-ride at Berk over a lot of things because of location. Sadly, BerkBerk is brokebroke.
Is that the reason why their so stingy?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Is that the reason why their so stingy?
Yeah they're having serious financial troubles I think. so not just them being craycray not knowing the game. They're nosediving though.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote: Know what you mean. I'm hoping life experience between now and LS will give me a better idea, because I waffle a lot on that. also wanna find out how hard it is to lateral from PI to the private sector if you get resentful about salaries and decide you need ca$h (although I guess the odds of that happening if you get through all of LS and the job hunt PI-oriented are pretty slim).
Look for internships or volunteering spots that aren't just shuffling papers to get a representative idea. I thought it was damn near impossible to land private sector after a job with PI.

I definitely will, thanks for the suggestion. Some things in the PI field I know I'd be terrible at, like legal aid, (really not a people person) so not really considering that (although I have a ton of admiration for those who do). But stuff like impact lit, gov stuff, maybe policy-oriented stuff I'd be all over.

I thought it was too. But if you look on the H vs Hamilton thread I asked about this, and apparently (according to Nebby) BL->PI and PI-> BL is equally difficult - which was kind of surprising considering the amount of random linkedin's I've seen that did the former and never real hearing about the latter. (obv random linkedins aren't the best methodology)

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I definitely will, thanks for the suggestion. Some things in the PI field I know I'd be terrible at, like legal aid, (really not a people person) so not really considering that (although I have a ton of admiration for those who do). But stuff like impact lit, gov stuff, maybe policy-oriented stuff I'd be all over.

I thought it was too. But if you look on the H vs Hamilton thread I asked about this, and apparently (according to Nebby) BL->PI and PI-> BL is equally difficult - which was kind of surprising considering the amount of random linkedin's I've seen that did the former and never real hearing about the latter. (obv random linkedins aren't the best methodology)
I think going from big law to a non-prestious PI job is fairly easy, like a DA job where you have ties should be no biggie

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Y'all ever get absolutely fucking starving.
I've been hungry like all day today and can't seem to get full. Fuck this.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

GUYS

try to look for sweet's account, it's gone, forever :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

how could he do this to us

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Mikey wrote:GUYS

try to look for sweet's account, it's gone, forever :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

????
It still looks the same as it did the other day to me?

Not that I was looking at his account the other day.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:GUYS

????
It still looks the same as it did the other day to me? (eta,

Not that I was looking at his account the other day.
for me it doesnt say sweettort anymore, it's a bunch of numbers. and unless I'm an idiot and was wrong about those numbers all along, I thought that meant that the person officially got rid of the account by talking to someone
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”