The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

twiix

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:
UG doesn't matter that much. Going in-state and saving money is just as well imo.

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc.
Hold up. There's a such thing as high school prestige?!

"Lulz, my little flower learned her SOH CAH TOA from a Maths PhD."

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:
UG doesn't matter that much. Going in-state and saving money is just as well imo.

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc.
Prep schools and fancy private schools that send 90%+ of their class to Ivies and stuff are a thing. My HS didn't even have any EC offerings except for student council, had no honors or gifted programs, no advanced / AP classes, no support whatsoever offered for people who wanted to go to university instead of CC for trades. I was literally the only person in my graduating class that went straight to university, had to take the upper-level requirements online through distance ed because they weren't offered and whatnot. #foreverbitter

Dude the nice thing about schools in Northern California is that entrance is based entirely 100% on numbers, and (at least for many) there are clear cut-offs posted so you can predict whether or not you'll get in / decide whether or not you'll apply. The lack of required standardized testing to level the playing field is a problem but imo it's a lot fairer and more sensible than the BS that is UGs in the US. /rant

desperately trying to avoid studying.
Jesus Christ. So is there no state curriculum? Nothing to even things out between high schools? I knew there were private schools, where parents paid tuition and stuff, but I assumed there'd be no difference in the eyes of adcomms between public school A and public school B, lol.

Good thing I want dogs, not kids.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc. (sour grapes...)
Yeah - while I agree, I did have those opportunities presented to me. I went public HS, so I wasn't part of an ivy league funneling frenzy, but I basically had the attitude of "everyone goes to college and takes out loans". I was talking more in terms of scholarship instead of UG prestige.. I am satisfied with what I learned at my instate school, I just wish I was diligent in fighting for schololarships.

University of California, Berkeley, in Berkeley, California is a fine outstanding institution. Don't undermine accomplishments young grasshopper.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm

TWiiX wrote:Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.
I'm expecting pics in 3 weeks. What breed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc. (sour grapes...)
Yeah - while I agree, I did have those opportunities presented to me. I went public HS, so I wasn't part of an ivy league funneling frenzy, but I basically had the attitude of "everyone goes to college and takes out loans". I was talking more in terms of scholarship instead of UG prestige.. I am satisfied with what I learned at my instate school, I just wish I was diligent in fighting for schololarships.

University of California, Berkeley, in Berkeley, California is a fine outstanding institution. Don't undermine accomplishments young grasshopper.
Ah yeah that makes sense.

I enjoyed my time at UC Berkeley in Berkeley, California.
PW me and Alex at Berk (my senior year c/o 2015)
[+] Spoiler

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Prep schools and fancy private schools that send 90%+ of their class to Ivies and stuff are a thing. My HS didn't even have any EC offerings except for student council, had no honors or gifted programs, no advanced / AP classes, no support whatsoever offered for people who wanted to go to university instead of CC for trades. I was literally the only person in my graduating class that went straight to university, had to take the upper-level requirements online through distance ed because they weren't offered and whatnot. #foreverbitter

Dude the nice thing about schools in Northern California is that entrance is based entirely 100% on numbers, and (at least for many) there are clear cut-offs posted so you can predict whether or not you'll get in / decide whether or not you'll apply. The lack of required standardized testing to level the playing field is a problem but imo it's a lot fairer and more sensible than the BS that is UGs in the US. /rant

desperately trying to avoid studying.
Jesus Christ. So is there no state curriculum? Nothing to even things out between high schools? I knew there were private schools, where parents paid tuition and stuff, but I assumed there'd be no difference in the eyes of adcomms between public school A and public school B, lol.
I was mostly referring to fancy private schools but I think certain public schools are better than others. mine was just a shitty one, tiny and in a very rural, low-income area (hence the lack of offerings and stuff).

Dogs >>>>>>>>>>>>> kids.
Ah alright, interesting. Like a lot of things, seems unfair that the rich have more access/benefits to special programmes, counseling, etc.

I'm glad this sentiment is growing more common. Dogs are the best creatures on Earth. I want 2 doggos eventually, no kids.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler
Just added "large Filipino community" to my pro list for Berk. :D :D :D

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 pm

I know a lot of people think he is edgy and not cool but I got Gavin McInnes's Death of Cool book and it is kinda a funny interesting read. Would recommend if you see it at at lib or book fair.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler
Just added "large Filipino community" to my pro list for Berk. :D :D :D
I'm the guy with the sunglasses in case anyone wants to out me.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(
On the upside I'm done with the PS bible books and semester's almost over so I can prep and drill as much as I need to during summer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(
On the upside I'm done with the PS bible books and semester's almost over so I can prep and drill as much as I need to during summer
yes.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm going to Berk and joining one of the urban dance teams, confirmed. I'll visit ya'll at Stanny.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
I'm the guy with the sunglasses in case anyone wants to out me.
I'm the second from the left. My name is Elle and my hair is ordinarily considerably more blonde. :)
#UCBerkeley4evr
I'm in the banana suit in the background. On the outside looking in.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(
yes.
The struggle was truly real

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Chocolate Labradoodle. Gf is allergic, and these things dont shed whatsoever. Win-win since I hate vacuuming.

Here's the most recent picture of our little furball from the breeder
[+] Spoiler

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
yes.
The struggle was truly real
I was working 70-80 hours a week at my old job. I know the struggle lol. I quit and went somewhere else just to have a balance to study. I still wish I could quit and study full time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”