The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Alexandros » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I think it depends on the individual/situation/goals, tbh. YS (especially Y) can be quite generous with need-based aid.
Yeah, of course. I was just more speaking from my perspective as someone who probably wouldn't get much financial aid or help from parents. That being said, if my parents were willing to help with COL, then the situation would be completely different, and YS would be much more viable and sexy. Or to put it simply, if debt < 100k, I'd be for it.
Yeah the finaid calculations can definitely screw people over. Of course don't know your situation but I've heard Y is pretty good with keeping debt at the base-loan level. 100k limit would be tricky though.
Yeah, from what I've seen YS are both quite generous. I don't want to say 100k is a hard limit, it's more just what I'd feel comfortable with because of where I could get that much money from. After that it would become much more of a debate.
Depends on goals too. If you're really passionate about the possibility of academia Y might be worth it. Or you're trying to be president lol.
Yeah, totally agree. Like I feel like I'd be willing to handle a few years of having to pay off debt if I felt like it would substantially increase my chances of being where I want in ten or fifteen years. But if your goals are generic BL or something, def take the money.
Decisions would be easier if we weren't trying to be unicorns, eh? :mrgreen:
:cry:

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Why the sad face Alexandros?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 pm

y Mikey no post moar

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:y Mikey no post moar

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 pm

I didn't flex post on Facebook when I got into Chicago and now that I've committed to Duke it's too late. HOW ARE PEOPLE GOING TO KNOW I TURNED THEM DOWN?!? Lol :mrgreen:

If y'all are curious, I'm seriously so excited about Duke even if I am thinking a little bit in my head "what could have been" about Chicago. I went with my cheapest t13 option, the school that I clicked with the most in the city I liked the most, and they have hella great employment stats to boot. Oh, and they give me a shot at grabbing a southern market BL job. But yeah, since I'm going generic transactional BL and I am not actively looking for a top firm in a major market, Chicago probably didn't make the most sense for me when debt at repayment was 80-90k higher at Chicago.

Everyone cross their fingers for me on getting my southern BL job

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:28 pm

chargers21 wrote:I didn't flex post on Facebook when I got into Chicago and now that I've committed to Duke it's too late. HOW ARE PEOPLE GOING TO KNOW I TURNED THEM DOWN?!? Lol :mrgreen:

If y'all are curious, I'm seriously so excited about Duke even if I am thinking a little bit in my head "what could have been" about Chicago. I went with my cheapest t13 option, the school that I clicked with the most in the city I liked the most, and they have hella great employment stats to boot. Oh, and they give me a shot at grabbing a southern market BL job. But yeah, since I'm going generic transactional BL and I am not actively looking for a top firm in a major market, Chicago probably didn't make the most sense for me when debt at repayment was 80-90k higher at Chicago.

You absolutely made the right choice dude.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 pm

chargers21 wrote:I didn't flex post on Facebook when I got into Chicago and now that I've committed to Duke it's too late. HOW ARE PEOPLE GOING TO KNOW I TURNED THEM DOWN?!? Lol :mrgreen:

So happy for you Chargers!! :D You definitely made the right choice. Duke's an amazing school.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:36 pm

presidentspivey wrote: You absolutely made the right choice dude.
Thanks for the reassurance!
Alexandros wrote:

So happy for you Chargers!! :D You definitely made the right choice. Duke's an amazing school.
Thanks Alex! You talk nice about Duke now, but you're going to get the Mordecai here in a few years and turn it down for the YEHL :mrgreen:

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 pm

From someone on the chicago thread

"So this morning I got an email telling me UChicago was offering me a scholarship covering all of tuition, $190,000. Up from my negotiated offer of $75,000, totally out of the blue. Don't mean to boast, I'm just so floored I wanted to tell people."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 pm

chargers21 wrote:From someone on the chicago thread

"So this morning I got an email telling me UChicago was offering me a scholarship covering all of tuition, $190,000. Up from my negotiated offer of $75,000, totally out of the blue. Don't mean to boast, I'm just so floored I wanted to tell people."
.... :shock:

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:39 am

Call me crazy, but I'm incredibly excited to get back to school on Monday. Being bored is the absolute worst.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 am

WL at almost all the schools i applied to and no admit. fml

can't bring myself to take this test again but here i am.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 am

appind wrote:WL at almost all the schools i applied to and no admit. fml

I'm sorry to hear that man. I hope our constant shit-posting and occasional LSAT talk in this thread can make it at least a little less shitty for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 am

those who have done LOCI, anyone have a sample to see how one is written?

can one include 'why law' answer in the LOCI if the original app didn't have it and the q is very relevant to the file?

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 am

oopsu812 wrote: I'm sorry to hear that man. I hope our constant shit-posting shitpoasting and occasional LSAT talk in this thread can make it at least a little less shitty for you.
nice

obligatory shitpoast

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 am

Seems like this has been a cycle with a lot of WLs for some. Iirc, you had a pretty late app?
If you don't get off the waitlists with decent money, apply the first day apps open next fall. Maybe take some time to have people look over your application during the summer and write Why Xs for the schools that YP. You have strong numbers - You definitely don't need to take the LSAT again!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 am

appind wrote:those who have done LOCI, anyone have a sample to see how one is written?

can one include 'why law' answer in the LOCI if the original app didn't have it and the q is very relevant to the file?
I don't have a sample, but in answer to the second question: You could definitely tie "why law" and "why *specific* law school" together in your LOCI - Highlight your interests and abilities to succeed in law and combine it with why that school in particular is of interest to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 am

appind wrote:
oopsu812 wrote: I'm sorry to hear that man. I hope our constant shit-posting shitpoasting and occasional LSAT talk in this thread can make it at least a little less shitty for you.
nice

obligatory shitpoast
Ouch. A shitpoast roast. :lol:

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:43 am

Alexandros wrote:

Seems like this has been a cycle with a lot of WLs for some. Iirc, you had a pretty late app?
If you don't get off the waitlists with decent money, apply the first day apps open next fall. Maybe take some time to have people look over your application during the summer and write Why Xs for the schools that YP. You have strong numbers - You definitely don't need to take the LSAT again!
Its amazing how much timing can affect your cycle. Ive heard this great advice given to people before and it worked out for people the second time around. Even at HYS. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that bro. it will work out in the end.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:09 am

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:From someone on the chicago thread

.... :shock:
Wow!

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 am

I'm definitely testing in September but more and more I'm thinking of sitting out a cycle. I'm a Super KJD who's completing UG in 3 years in Spring 2018. If I excel my last two semesters I could raise my GPA a full 0.1. I'd be able to apply on day 1 if I waited, plus I think I'd have stronger LORs, and could remove the KJD stigma. Not sure what I'd do with my worthless political science degree though. Probably low grade campaign work or TFA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 am

presidentspivey wrote:I'm definitely testing in September but more and more I'm thinking of sitting out a cycle. I'm a Super KJD who's completing UG in 3 years in Spring 2018. If I excel my last two semesters I could raise my GPA a full 0.1. I'd be able to apply on day 1 if I waited, plus I think I'd have stronger LORs, and could remove the KJD stigma. Not sure what I'd do with my worthless political science degree though. Probably low grade campaign work or TFA.
A good idea, imo. And you don't need super impressive work experience - Just find something to do for a few months after you graduate until you apply, shouldn't be too difficult.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 am

Alexandros wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:I'm definitely testing in September but more and more I'm thinking of sitting out a cycle. I'm a Super KJD who's completing UG in 3 years in Spring 2018. If I excel my last two semesters I could raise my GPA a full 0.1. I'd be able to apply on day 1 if I waited, plus I think I'd have stronger LORs, and could remove the KJD stigma. Not sure what I'd do with my worthless political science degree though. Probably low grade campaign work or TFA.
A good idea, imo. And you don't need super impressive work experience - Just find something to do for a few months after you graduate until you apply, shouldn't be too difficult.
Yeah. It helps that it'll be a midterm year. Several races in my state I can legitimately get excited about.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 am

Anyone else thinking about starting a diet/exercise regime this summer? I want to make sure sitting around for my LSAT prep doesn't tack on weight. Haven't had time during the semester. Plus I'm still about 10lbs heavier than I was in high school.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:58 am

presidentspivey wrote:Anyone else thinking about starting a diet/exercise regime this summer? I want to make sure sitting around for my LSAT prep doesn't tack on weight. Haven't had time during the semester. Plus I'm still about 10lbs heavier than I was in high school.
I'm getting my diet on track this week and hoping to add in the gym as soon as possible. I just feel a bit soft, lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”