The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Csupo

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Csupo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 am

Err, does anyone have tips for someone with a reaaallly huuuuge gap between their actual score and BR score. Took PT 50 today (my 2nd ever PT), and scored an absolutely dismal 154. The breakdown was -5 RC, -8 LR1, -14 LG, -7 LR2. For BR my score was a 170, with the breakdown -1 RC, -4 LR1, -1 LG, and -4 LR. I think I absolutely panicked during LG and, as you can see, completely bombed the section. I also think my timing was completely off during LR as I managed to completely miss bubbling answers for 3 questions on LR1 and 2 questions on LR 2, for want of enough time.

Help please!

EDIT: To clarify, I'm actually sitting in for the Dec. test, just posted here because it's more active. 8)

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 am

Csupo wrote:Err, does anyone have tips for someone with a reaaallly huuuuge gap between their actual score and BR score. Took PT 50 today (my 2nd ever PT), and scored an absolutely dismal 154. The breakdown was -5 RC, -8 LR1, -14 LG, -7 LR2. For BR my score was a 170, with the breakdown -1 RC, -4 LR1, -1 LG, and -4 LR. I think I absolutely panicked during LG and, as you can see, completely bombed the section. I also think my timing was completely off during LR as I managed to completely miss bubbling answers for 3 questions on LR1 and 2 questions on LR 2, for want of enough time.

Help please!

EDIT: To clarify, I'm actually sitting in for the Dec. test, just posted here because it's more active. 8)
I've found it helpful to drill individual sections before moving on to full PTs or you could alternate days of individual sections and PT days. You definitely have time before the December test. For me at least, I can use the 20 or so seconds between sections to reset my brain, so PTs help with stamina, but not nerves on individual sections. Drilling multiple LG sections in a row made them more familiar and less nerve wracking. Drilling sections should also help with LR timing and bubbling errors (I tend to bubble at the end of a page/game but whatever works for you!)

Go easy on yourself if it's only your 2nd PT. You're in a good spot with that BR you know the material, you just need to practice timing. Best of luck :)

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 am

sev wrote:For those of y'all that work/go to school full time, what are your plans for the week before? I have ~two months of vacation stashed so I'm thinking of taking a week off and chilling even though work isn't stressful at all.

Kinda sounds like a good idea but I don't want to get out of rhythm so I can't decide.
I'm a full time student with three jobs. As a second time test taker I'm definitely going to be more conscious of keeping up a regular sleep pattern. I couldn't sleep for the June exam, woke up late, lost my ticket, couldn't print another one properly, and didn't have time to warm up - it was a s*** show This time I'll probably work out the night before so I'm tired out. Since I'll be in classes/at work all week I'm planning on some LR problems and a game or two when I can - all unscored, and warm up on test day. I'd say unless your job is mentally taxing to stick with your regular schedule and take time off after to celebrate being done with the test/write those app components.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 am

Csupo wrote:Err, does anyone have tips for someone with a reaaallly huuuuge gap between their actual score and BR score. Took PT 50 today (my 2nd ever PT), and scored an absolutely dismal 154. The breakdown was -5 RC, -8 LR1, -14 LG, -7 LR2. For BR my score was a 170, with the breakdown -1 RC, -4 LR1, -1 LG, and -4 LR. I think I absolutely panicked during LG and, as you can see, completely bombed the section. I also think my timing was completely off during LR as I managed to completely miss bubbling answers for 3 questions on LR1 and 2 questions on LR 2, for want of enough time.

Help please!

Looking at the PT50 conversion chart, your raw score for the PT was 66 and for the blind review it was 90.

Your biggest problem is obviously LG. It is relatively easy to get perfect or near perfect scores on LG un-timed after establishing a basic understanding of how each game works. The problem is doing so under timed conditions. You probably should do targeted drilling of LG by game types until you know how to set up every possible game and know how to make the common inferences quickly and effortlessly. You may want to look in to the fool proof method from 7Sage.

Getting your LG down to -2 timed would alone make your 154 a 161. Which is close to half of the gap.

For LR, you should understand every question type thoroughly and have a method of attack for each. You didn't provide much information about your LR strategy or difficulties so it's hard to provide anything specific. Generally, most people on TLS advise a stem first approach as it will allow you to read the stimulus in a manner specific to the question type. After having an understanding of each question type and having a method for each, it comes down to drilling drilling drilling x1000 and review review review x1000. The more you practice the quicker you'll be able to pick up on the argument structure and the easier you'll be able to eliminate trap answers.

You may also want to work on strategic skipping (to come back to later). For example, if there is one type of LR question that takes a significant amount of time relative to other questions, e.g. parallel, it may make sense to do that type of question last. While drilling keep a detailed log of what questions you are getting write/wrong, what takes too long, etc. This will not only help you know what to drill but will also help to develop a test day strategy that focuses on your strengths.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 am

Mo' LR drilling

Principle (Apply)
10/10 Difficulty 1 (100%)
1/1 Difficulty 2 (100%)
4/4 Difficulty 3 (100%)
4/5 Difficulty 4 (80%)

Overall 19/20 (95%)

Principle (Identify)
8/9 Difficulty 1 (88.88%)
3/3 Difficulty 2 (100%)
3/3 Difficulty 3 (100%)
7/9 Difficulty 4 (77.77%)

21/24 (87.5%)

LR Drilling since August 1st (Necessary/Sufficient/Flaw/Strengthen/Weaken/Principle Apply/Principle Identify)
Difficulty 1 117/124 (94.3%)
Difficulty 2 70/70 (100%)
Difficulty 3 49/55 (89.1%)
Difficulty 4 38/51 (74.5%)

Overall 274/300 (91.3%)

Big drilling day tomorrow 100 LR questions, 20 logic games, and 2 RC sections

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PearsonSpecterLitt

New

Post by PearsonSpecterLitt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 am

Have been creeping on this thread. I just finished my PowerScore Course so I'm going to start taking more PT's.

Diagnosed at 157 (6/20)
166 (7/17)
170 (7/23)
163 (7/30; <1 hour of sleep, so I consider this my "worst possible score" rn)
170/163 (8/13, taking two tests on one day)
169 (8/16, no time limit but finished all but one section under 35 min, and I got the q's wrong that took longer).

Wondering what people have done to get over the 170 wall (abs need a 175). I'm going to start doing BR next PT.

Anyone looking for a friend/study buddy to work with? In Person/Online or email is great. Would be nice to have someone to talk to about different questions and question types.

Also, I've used exclusively PowerScore material; is there anything that I should pickup that has substantially different strategies that supplement PowerScore?

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 am

PearsonSpecterLitt wrote:Have been creeping on this thread. I just finished my PowerScore Course so I'm going to start taking more PT's.

Diagnosed at 157 (6/20)
166 (7/17)
170 (7/23)
169 (8/16, no time limit but finished all but one section under 35 min, and I got the q's wrong that took longer).

Wondering what people have done to get over the 170 wall (abs need a 175). I'm going to start doing BR next PT.

Anyone looking for a friend/study buddy to work with? In Person/Online or email is great. Would be nice to have someone to talk to about different questions and question types.

Also, I've used exclusively PowerScore material; is there anything that I should pickup that has substantially different strategies that supplement PowerScore?
I never used PowerScore. I would recommend the LSAT Trainer. Perhaps because this is the first and only learning material I used other than the PTs, after reading through the first several pages on LR, I improved from -3 per section to -0/-1, and the time constraint is not tight anymore. Although I'm not sure if it's the help of the Trainer or simply the natural improvement after PTing.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm

chargers21 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Any1 seen SweetTort recently?
he had his account deleted :(

he's prob doing well though. bless his soul <3
I think he went to Yehlol
No way!? He end up getting in and going there over UVA? Thats awesome
Not positive, my source for that was Alexandros.But pretty sure he at least got in. Not many Yalers on this forum, so definitely pretty cool. He really played his cycle weird, though. Got into UVA with full, and immediately withdrew all of his apps. Then he got cold feet at the last second and sent out another app lol. I can't remember, but was he from Virginia or something and that's why he liked UVA do much? Figured the type of person to take a full at UVA over Harvard would usually love a full+stipend from Chicago.

Here I am questioning his motives after I chose a school in a state in a region that I have no plans to remain in after graduating
Yeah i remember him debating the whole pull your apps things. Thats awesome if he did(and hopefully its the case and that he chose to attend there as well)

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:48 pm

ONE MORE MONTH!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:ONE MORE MONTH!!!
How's everybody feeling? I feel like I could use more time but not that much more time. Like 1 extra week would be perfect.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:26 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
How's everybody feeling? I feel like I could use more time but not that much more time. Like 1 extra week would be perfect.
Feeling like I'm going to be spending the fall studying for a December test...

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
I'm feeling good. I'm probably skipping this cycle so I don't care how long or how many retests I have to do until I get my goal score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PearsonSpecterLitt

New

Post by PearsonSpecterLitt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Lxwind wrote:
PearsonSpecterLitt wrote:Have been creeping on this thread. I just finished my PowerScore Course so I'm going to start taking more PT's.

Diagnosed at 157 (6/20)
166 (7/17)
170 (7/23)

I never used PowerScore. I would recommend the LSAT Trainer. Perhaps because this is the first and only learning material I used other than the PTs, after reading through the first several pages on LR, I improved from -3 per section to -0/-1, and the time constraint is not tight anymore. Although I'm not sure if it's the help of the Trainer or simply the natural improvement after PTing.
Thanks! I'll be sure to take a look. These last few points might be important and anything to solidify concepts.

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 pm

PT 56 - 168 (87 raw)

LG -0
LR -6
LR -4
RC -5

My highest score yet!, though the big difference was that I didn't do an experimental section today - mental fatigue is proving to be my biggest issue.

Going to so some more current lsats and see if my LG is consistent with those. Feeling good tho for a month away!

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 am

Really struggled on my last two PTs with a LR-LG-RC(E)-LR-RC ordering, both of which have been my only 5-section PTs so far.

I've been on pace for a 170ish after the first 3 sections, then I pull a -6 or -7 on the last two sections both times.

I'm hoping fatigue is the culprit and not exam difficulty (i.e. the two experimental RC sections and individual LR/RC section drilling, which I've been pulling from the PT 40s/50s, have been consistently better than how I've done on recent full PTs from the 60s/70s).

The thing is I don't consciously feel as though I'm becoming mentally exhausted as the test goes on, but it's possible I've been gradually losing adrenaline/interest, and I do seem to be more easily agitated with difficult questions on later sections. Is that what test fatigue really is? For some reason I always assumed it only referred to physical exhaustion or a headache or something.

Anyone experienced similar or have suggestions on how to fix this?? I've been thinking about whether it might help to just stop with individual section drilling and start doing 5-section PTs everyday??

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 am

sodomojo wrote:Really struggled on my last two PTs with a LR-LG-RC(E)-LR-RC ordering, both of which have been my only 5-section PTs so far.

I've been on pace for a 170ish after the first 3 sections, then I pull a -6 or -7 on the last two sections both times.

I'm hoping fatigue is the culprit and not exam difficulty (i.e. the two experimental RC sections and individual LR/RC section drilling, which I've been pulling from the PT 40s/50s, have been consistently better than how I've done on recent full PTs from the 60s/70s).

The thing is I don't consciously feel as though I'm becoming mentally exhausted as the test goes on, but it's possible I've been gradually losing adrenaline/interest, and I do seem to be more easily agitated with difficult questions on later sections. Is that what test fatigue really is? For some reason I always assumed it only referred to physical exhaustion or a headache or something.

Anyone experienced similar or have suggestions on how to fix this?? I've been thinking about whether it might help to just stop with individual section drilling and start doing 5-section PTs everyday??
It's possible it's fatigue, but it's also possible that you're just finding the newer tests difficult. I definitely find the RC harder in the tests past 60 than in the tests before 60. Also, LR is different as the tests get newer too (I find the questions are less focused on straight conditional logic, and also wordier). I think it might just be that you need to get used to the newer types of material!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 am

What is the best non-banned watch? I need to replace my Mastermind and become comfortable with the new watch before the test, so I want to order it today or tomorrow. Thanks!
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:What is the best non-banned watch? I need to replace my Mastermind and become comfortable with the new watch before the test, so I want to order it today or tomorrow. Thanks!
Have we verified the perfect score is still allowed? If it is, Id recommend it. I've still been using it and as an analog its clear. Only thing I dont like about it is the band is too small for my big wrists and the dial is sometimes hard to pull out if its on your wrist so I just leave it on the table.

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Checking in. PT 77 yesterday went well. LR -2, LG -2, RC -1: 176. Hopefully this holds through test day.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 pm

I give up on RC

you win, LSAC fuck you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Hit 170 on pt 71 under test conditions for the first time last night. -4 LR1, -5LR2, -3LF, -2RC. Wicked -14 curve.

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:08 pm

PT 45

Score: 175

LR: -3
RC: -2
LG: -0
LR: -2

Glad that I'm continuing to score around this range. I need to work on improving my score on my first section, I notice that it's almost always the section on which I miss the most questions. What does everyone here do to warm up before taking a test?

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Mikey wrote:I give up on RC

you win, LSAC fuck you
Feeling the same way about RC.

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm

vonrus1 wrote:Hit 170 on pt 71 under test conditions for the first time last night. -4 LR1, -5LR2, -3LF, -2RC. Wicked -14 curve.
Congrats, that first 170 is a good feeling.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”