The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Ira Hayes

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Jon Denning posted this in r/LSAT:
[+] Spoiler
"Yeah I could see that perspective if that functionality difference is what drove this change. That said, I've never seen people use chronos as timers during the test; we always encourage our students, and I think it's pretty much universally accepted, to simply reset the minute hand to 12 at the start of each section and pace yourself as it moves to 7.

And if you're trying to truly level the field then don't permit watches in the first place: a watch in general conveys advantages that penalize those unable to afford them...shouldn't they all be banned? LSAT-specific watches (built specifically to count down from 35 minutes, not to tell time) can offer similar advantages over a traditional analog timepiece. How long until those are disallowed?

The whole thing is a bit slippery if the notion of fair play is at the heart of LSAC's thinking. And are they really going to rely on random proctors' horological knowledge as the gate keeper for what's permitted and what's confiscated? Just seems poorly thought out."
specifically the bolded part. Maybe we are reacting too quick?
Link to this thread/post?
https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/ ... t_updated/

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Ira Hayes wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Jon Denning posted this in r/LSAT:
[+] Spoiler
"Yeah I could see that perspective if that functionality difference is what drove this change. That said, I've never seen people use chronos as timers during the test; we always encourage our students, and I think it's pretty much universally accepted, to simply reset the minute hand to 12 at the start of each section and pace yourself as it moves to 7.

And if you're trying to truly level the field then don't permit watches in the first place: a watch in general conveys advantages that penalize those unable to afford them...shouldn't they all be banned? LSAT-specific watches (built specifically to count down from 35 minutes, not to tell time) can offer similar advantages over a traditional analog timepiece. How long until those are disallowed?

The whole thing is a bit slippery if the notion of fair play is at the heart of LSAC's thinking. And are they really going to rely on random proctors' horological knowledge as the gate keeper for what's permitted and what's confiscated? Just seems poorly thought out."
Ehhhh I think he is just getting his terms confused. The MM and 180 watches are definitely chronographs
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Ehhhh I think he is just getting his terms confused. The MM and 180 watches are definitely chronographs
I'm going to bury my head and say that LSAT watches are, specific test watches designed for a purpose while having chronographic characteristics. It is the old, all pirate ships are boats, not all boats are pirate ships argument. Checkmate LSAC.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm

y they do dis. screw them

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm

So if you have a watch that's not permitted are you turned away or can you get rid of the watch and still sit for the test?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 pm

chewinggum wrote:So if you have a watch that's not permitted are you turned away or can you get rid of the watch and still sit for the test?
I would guess you could just get rid of it.

I mean this isn't like a watch, but I had a pen in my bag when I took in sept and all they did was throw it out lol.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm

!!!! If they banned MM , 180 and Perfect Score thats just messed up. "Unfair Advantage" LMAO... Nice soft bureaucratic non-sense..This is madness!!!! Really hope this is just people freaking on reddit too soon. Who is Jon?
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:!!!! If they banned MM , 180 and Perfect Score thats just messed up. This is madness!!!! Really hope this is just people freaking on reddit too soon. Who is Jon? An LSAC representative?
https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test
You MAY NOT bring into the test center or use any of the following:
electronic timers of any kind
electronic cigarettes
fitness tracking devices
digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital)
cell phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
personal computers
calculators
photographic or recording devices
listening devices
headsets, iPods, or other media players
books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
rulers
mechanical pencils
mechanical erasers or erasers with sleeves
ink pens or felt-tip markers
briefcases, handbags, backpacks of any kind
earplugs
hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
sunglasses may not be worn
weapons or firearms

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:!!!! If they banned MM , 180 and Perfect Score thats just messed up. This is madness!!!! Really hope this is just people freaking on reddit too soon. Who is Jon? An LSAC representative?
electronic cigarettes
fitness tracking devices
digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital)
personal computers
calculators
listening devices
rulers
mechanical pencils
earplugs
weapons or firearms
Was it confirmed that this was an update or did someone just notice this in the rules?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm

even the CEO of powerscore said this is a harsh policy. but let's be honest, what he really means is that this is bullshit. :mrgreen:

I'm confused though, so wtf CAN we use?? a regular analog watch? but even then, I feel like it's still going to be a shitty policy because there are some proctors who are morons and will probably think that every watch is banned. then what? do we just leave it up to hope that we don't get shitty proctors? :mrgreen: :lol:

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
electronic cigarettes
fitness tracking devices
personal computers
calculators
listening devices
rulers
mechanical pencils
earplugs
weapons or firearms
Was it confirmed that this was an update or did someone just notice this in the rules?
That is a good question. Seems unclear to me, although an anonymous reddit poster seemed to believe this rule was already established prior to the June LSAT. Obviously that doesn't confirm anything though

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
electronic cigarettes
fitness tracking devices
personal computers
calculators
listening devices
rulers
mechanical pencils
earplugs
weapons or firearms
That is a good question. Seems unclear to me, although an anonymous reddit poster seemed to believe this rule was already established prior to the June LSAT. Obviously that doesn't confirm anything though
according to people on 7sage, this watch rule went up on LSAC's site before the June test but people's June tickets didn't have the rule on them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Mikey wrote:even the CEO of powerscore said this is a harsh policy. but let's be honest, what he really means is that this is bullshit. :mrgreen:

I'm confused though, so wtf CAN we use?? a regular analog watch? but even then, I feel like it's still going to be a shitty policy because there are some proctors who are morons and will probably think that every watch is banned. then what? do we just leave it up to hope that we don't get shitty proctors? :mrgreen: :lol:
It really is BS.. Really? to prevent an advantage... Lol why dont people with higher PT averages take harder tests then lmao

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:03 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:even the CEO of powerscore said this is a harsh policy. but let's be honest, what he really means is that this is bullshit. :mrgreen:

It really is BS.. Really? to prevent an advantage... Lol why dont people with higher PT averages take harder tests then lmao
I think I'm going to by 3 or so Timex watches and open the face and try to cut out the 36 minute up mark. i may be able to rig it to make the turn dial larger so that I can reset it quicker.

maxchansen

New

Post by maxchansen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:04 pm

clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:
I'd recommend getting used to a regular watch far in advance of the real test. It's a big change if you're used to the easy to read 180/MM face.

I'd also recommend something like this watch : https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-7E ... ting+bezel

It's cheap, and the bezel easily rotates. Just put the marker on the bezel when your time starts, and it's easy enough to track 35 minutes. You could likely even use a sharpie and make colors on the bezel to show your 10/5/0 minute marks.
Yeah, that looks really promising. Do you use it?
I use this watch and it's great. Rotating the bezel in between sections makes it effortless to keep track of time

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Ira Hayes wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

I think I'm going to by 3 or so Timex watches and open the face and try to cut out the 36 minute up mark. i may be able to rig it to make the turn dial larger so that I can reset it quicker.
How do you time yourself on a timex that is non-chronogrpah? How do you reset? Do you just twist the time forward everytime and then let it ride?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 pm

What's funny about this watch thing is that when I told my boss about the market for it existing, he really wanted to do a side-gig selling them. Now I'm so incredibly glad we don't have a container from AliBaba on our way with banned watches.

Meanwhile I have no idea what to do with the watch I just bought from a TLSer...

Does the GRE have 35 minute sections?

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Just took PrepTest C (Feb. 2000). It was my first full PT since the June test.

91 Raw
173 Scaled
LG: -4
LR1: -2
LR2: -4
RC: -0

Generous curve on an older test, but I took it under less than optimal conditions, so it was a confidence booster.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I shouldn't have PT'd on back to back days, but last night's result was quite disappointing to me, and I wanted to see if I could rebound.

PT20
LR1: -1
RC: -5
LG: -4
LR2: -1
Scaled Score: 171

An ancient test, and a generous curve no doubt. But, it is the first time I've broken 170 on a strictly timed test, and I'm proud of it. While perhaps my previous mediocre performance on LR was a fluke/rust (that -1 on the first section was a bubbling error), I seem to have taken a legitimate step back on RC, which is puzzling. Time to dust off the Trainer, I guess. I'm very happy with my LG improvement, and believe that it will stick if I take a few days to get my RC mojo back.

TL;DR: The roller coaster ride of my LSAT prep continues.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:38 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Already having a bad day today, thanks for making it worst LSAC. :cry:
:shock: :O THEY MADE MY LITTLEWING UPSET! how dare they!?!?!?!?

calling asap to give them a piece of my mind!!!!

e: o wait, they closed hahaha

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Already having a bad day today, thanks for making it worst LSAC. :cry:
Same. I'm embarrassingly slow at reading analog watches.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:So if you have a watch that's not permitted are you turned away or can you get rid of the watch and still sit for the test?
I would guess you could just get rid of it.

I mean this isn't like a watch, but I had a pen in my bag when I took in sept and all they did was throw it out lol.
In my personal experience with this test and the procotors. I wouldn't "guess" anything. Adjust to the change and plan on not using it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”