The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 pm

You edit your posts out so fast that only you get a chance to read them.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 pm

I understand a lot of people do this but I don't like having to take caffeine to stay awake at work and then counteract it by taking melatonin to go to bed at night.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:14 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I understand a lot of people do this but I don't like having to take caffeine to stay awake at work and then counteract it by taking melatonin to go to bed at night.
I'm very guilty of that but more of a bad habit / vicious cycle thing than liking it. need to stop.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:I understand a lot of people do this but I don't like having to take caffeine to stay awake at work and then counteract it by taking melatonin to go to bed at night.
I'm very guilty of that but more of a bad habit / vicious cycle thing than liking it. need to stop.
Doing it for school is one thing since in my experience, it was only at max 2 weeks of it, ive been doing this since February lol. Plus you can totally take midday naps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:19 pm

dude the best thing I ever did was break my caffeine addiction. Used to drink like 3-4 dr peppers a day back in high school. One year in UG I said screw it and cut it cold. I'll have one every once in awhile on a hot day, and use soda for mixed drinks obviously.. but I just supplement by drinking cold water. I have to piss like 12 times a day, but the cold water usually does the trick. On particularly rough days I'll get a soda and it makes me feel like I'm on speed.

I'd be curious to see what % of the adult population is clinically dependent upon caffeine. It has to be >70%...

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Doing it for school is one thing since in my experience, it was only at max 2 weeks of it, ive been doing this since February lol. Plus you can totally take midday naps.
Yeah I second Twiix's suggestion of cutting down caffeine / not having it late in the day (if caffeine is contributing to the sleep problems). Easier said than done though.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dude the best thing I ever did was break my caffeine addiction. Used to drink like 3-4 dr peppers a day back in high school. One year in UG I said screw it and cut it cold. I'll have one every once in awhile on a hot day, and use soda for mixed drinks obviously.. but I just supplement by drinking cold water. I have to piss like 12 times a day, but the cold water usually does the trick. On particularly rough days I'll get a soda and it makes me feel like I'm on speed.

I'd be curious to see what % of the adult population is clinically dependent upon caffeine. It has to be >70%...
Honestly, if I was on my feet or outside wouldn't need caffeine one bit. Computer jobs tho some days just make me want to be tucked away and nap. I quit soda but I take caffeine pills now (maybe 2 a day max) to not get that stuff all in sodas and whatnot.

Caffeine is the world's most addictive drug. Take it away or make it illegal and see what happens lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Honestly, if I was on my feet or outside wouldn't need caffeine one bit. Computer jobs tho some days just make me want to be tucked away and nap. I quit soda but I take caffeine pills now (maybe 2 a day max) to not get that stuff all in sodas and whatnot.

Caffeine is the world's most addictive drug. Take it away or make it illegal and see what happens lol
Could you try something like tea instead? Less caffeine but you get some of the psychological effect (But I say that as a coffee drinker so it's similar).
Caffeine pills fuck me up man. 2 a day is not too bad though I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Could you try something like tea instead? Less caffeine but you get some of the psychological effect (But I say that as a coffee drinker so it's similar).
tea does nothing for me energy wise, maybe if I drank a gallon or two. It's just shitty, I don't like to preach the "AALLL NATURAL BRAH" but taking shit to stay awake and go to sleep daily can't be good.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

tea does nothing for me energy wise, maybe if I drank a gallon or two. It's just shitty, I don't like to preach the "AALLL NATURAL BRAH" but taking shit to stay awake and go to sleep daily can't be good.
Start chugging cold water. I sit at a desk all day as well. Give it a shot and see what happens. You'll be running to the bathroom a lot, but every time you feel sluggish try and drink 4-8 ounces of water. I think I drink about 3-4 liters a day on average. Take caffeine pills with you as a backup, but I'd be curious what happens.

And yeah, a nationwide ban on caffeine would end in literal riots in the streets. Take away any other freedom and people will just shrug.. but the coffee?! hellnaw

edit: maybe use a pill in the morning to get the kickstart for the day and try and ease off that way. If you get to just 1 pill comfortably maybe try 1/2 and then down to none. It's nice being able to grab a soda whenever you really do need the jolt. my tolerance is shit.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Yeah it's more the placebo effect you get from it as a coffee drinker (since it's another hot beverage).

you might want to just gradually cut down on it if you can. I'm the last person who should be giving advice on this, but I've found on a 9-5 schedule I can usually sleep better at night if I don't have caffeine after 12pm.

also +1 on the cold water rec.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

TWiiX wrote: Start chugging cold water. I sit at a desk all day as well. Give it a shot and see what happens. You'll be running to the bathroom a lot, but every time you feel sluggish try and drink 4-8 ounces of water. I think I drink about 3-4 liters a day on average. Take caffeine pills with you as a backup, but I'd be curious what happens.

And yeah, a nationwide ban on caffeine would end in literal riots in the streets. Take away any other freedom and people will just shrug.. but the coffee?! hellnaw

edit: maybe use a pill in the morning to get the kickstart for the day and try and ease off that way. If you get to just 1 pill comfortably maybe try 1/2 and then down to none. It's nice being able to grab a soda whenever you really do need the jolt. my tolerance is shit.
I do need to bring my water bottle up here, dehydration could be a factor. Sometimes I feel it is boredom some days, back to me being a lame hippie I don't think we are made to sit in a desk staring at a screen hours on end. My gripe sometimes is that I can get my work done in maybe an hour and have nothing else to do all day but since there isn't anything to do I end up on the internet (or an alternative me does LR). I would be 100x more productive with a 10-2 day.

Free speech is a rib anyways, I needs muh stimulants.

also alex, how u like 9-5? I was way more productive at school working until 3am but sleeping until 1030.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote: Start chugging cold water. I sit at a desk all day as well. Give it a shot and see what happens. You'll be running to the bathroom a lot, but every time you feel sluggish try and drink 4-8 ounces of water. I think I drink about 3-4 liters a day on average. Take caffeine pills with you as a backup, but I'd be curious what happens.

I do need to bring my water bottle up here, dehydration could be a factor. Sometimes I feel it is boredom some days, back to me being a lame hippie I don't think we are made to sit in a desk staring at a screen hours on end. My gripe sometimes is that I can get my work done in maybe an hour and have nothing else to do all day but since there isn't anything to do I end up on the internet (or an alternative me does LR). I would be 100x more productive with a 10-2 day.

also alex, how u like 9-5? I was way more productive at school working until 3am but sleeping until 1030.
I also run out of shit to do and end up on tls. I need to find a way to be inconspicuous about LSAT studying.. any suggestions?

My job before this I had to be up at 4am to get ready, leave by 5 and start my day at 6.. so I'm forever going to be a morning person after that fiasco :x

But I always found solace in college working late into the night. I much prefer the quietness and darkness of it. I was just always more productive when there wasn't anything else going on to bother you.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:59 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I also run out of shit to do and end up on tls. I need to find a way to be inconspicuous about LSAT studying.. any suggestions?

My job before this I had to be up at 4am to get ready, leave by 5 and start my day at 6.. so I'm forever going to be a morning person after that fiasco :x

But I always found solace in college working late into the night. I much prefer the quietness and darkness of it. I was just always more productive when there wasn't anything else going on to bother you.
Stick to LR or very simple LG, doing RC is hard to manage with all the noise around and you may have something pop up. LR are simple and quick to do in bursts of 10 questions. Also print them out instead of using a book so there is not a obvious NEXT 10 LSAT on your desk.

I can't even get up at 4am... 6 is hard enough. luckily my studying pushes into the hours of 8-11 usually so it's reminiscent of college

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

Def not 9-5 right now but will be Monday. over the summers I am because wurk (last summer was on the 10/11pm - 5-6am sleep schedule because LolSAT).

also I feel you on the boredom / nothing to do, sit there all day until it's okay to leave thing. I feel like a big factor in future career decisions will be trying to avoid that.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Def not 9-5 right now but will be Monday. over the summers I am because wurk (last summer was on the 10/11pm - 5-6am sleep schedule because LolSAT).

also I feel you on the boredom / nothing to do, sit there all day until it's okay to leave thing. I feel like a big factor in future career decisions will be trying to avoid that.
That's why I left my last job lol. I had to work stupid amounts of hours (60-80 hrs/week) but basically did nothing during the weekdays. I would show up, go through routines, work 8 hours a day because it was mandatory, and then show up on the weekends to put in 14+ hours a day. Can't wait until the baby boomers all retire so that similar mindless culture(s) can be chucked in the trash.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

That's why I left my last job lol. I had to work stupid amounts of hours (60-80 hrs/week) but basically did nothing during the weekdays. I would show up, go through routines, work 8 hours a day because it was mandatory, and then show up on the weekends to put in 14+ hours a day. Can't wait until the baby boomers all retire so that similar mindless culture(s) can be chucked in the trash.
That sounds like hell. That kind of shit is why I don't want NYC biglaw. All work is going to suck to some extent, but imo autonomy, minimal FT requirements, and a reasonable amount of substantive work can make a big difference (at least for me).

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Have you seen the one with Demi Lavato (I think??) being asked her "favorite dish."
Relatable.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Have you seen the one with Demi Lavato (I think??) being asked her "favorite dish."
Relatable.
Mugs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:25 pm

I don't mind working long hours at all. Hell when I worked in a warehouse, I would pull 14 hour days and it was physically exhausting but kinda fun. All you did was move stuff, listen to music and riff with coworkers. Other jobs have been worse than this where you stare at a gray cube for 8 hours a day answering an email or two.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I don't mind working long hours at all. Hell when I worked in a warehouse, I would pull 14 hour days and it was physically exhausting but kinda fun. All you did was move stuff, listen to music and riff with coworkers. Other jobs have been worse than this where you stare at a gray cube for 8 hours a day answering an email or two.
aka my job.

12 hr days childcare with no breaks + 1.5 hr commute each way is def an experience I am not keen to repeat.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I don't mind working long hours at all. Hell when I worked in a warehouse, I would pull 14 hour days and it was physically exhausting but kinda fun. All you did was move stuff, listen to music and riff with coworkers. Other jobs have been worse than this where you stare at a gray cube for 8 hours a day answering an email or two.
Yeah, my biggest concern isn't long hours necessarily, it's doing work that isn't enjoyable. That would be my biggest concern with BigLaw. The hours must just feel so damn long because the vast majority of the work is menial and boring.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah I agree. The 14 hour weekend days were the only rewarding part of the job. There were like 3 or 4 busy periods throughout the year where I worked basically 6a-7p for spans of 15-20 days straight.. but the vast majority of the time the weekdays were just spent preparing for the weekends. The people I worked with were awesome though so that definitely helped.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”