The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

chargers21

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by chargers21 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Canadians using the metric system in here... :roll:

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:(side note, the amount of excel sheets that come up when I search "LSAT" on my desktop is absolutely horrifying.)

(Eta: also truly sorry for hijacking y'all's thread already gosh I should see myself out now.)
Noo, you can't leave!!

Also, re: excel spreadsheets is it just LSAT preptests or something else?
Ah! I was wondering where you went from our waiters thread. Hello!
Are you talking to me or Alex? If me, then hi, and yeah aiming at this test *fingers crossed*!!

Yes. You. Lol
Haha, yeah I kept postponing the test so I wasn't too active on the threads, but I feel prepared this time around so fingers crossed it works out!

Congrats on finishing the LSAT though! Have you decided on a school?

Thank SB and nope

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Guyz you post too much for me to keep up :oops:

I haven't touched anything LSAT since Sept. I'm looking to start up in June. Do you think I have forgotten everything or it is like ingrained in my brain?

Also for Cambridge packets, I know they have PTs 1-40 by type. Do you think they're still relevant to newer RC sections? I feel like RC used to be more straight forward and now it has more to do with inferences you make. I already have the packets but wondering if they will be useful for someone who wants to make RC their bitch.
You should still remember a fair bit of the techniques, though you'll probably feel a bit rusty on LG. As for the test material itself, you should have probably forgotten most of it so you can treat a lot of the old PTs as fresh ones.

As for the Cambridge packets, despite the questions being slightly different from the newer ones I think they're still great tools for just drilling reading for structure and, once you find an RC strategy that works for you, perfecting that strategy.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Guyz you post too much for me to keep up :oops:

I haven't touched anything LSAT since Sept. I'm looking to start up in June. Do you think I have forgotten everything or it is like ingrained in my brain?

Also for Cambridge packets, I know they have PTs 1-40 by type. Do you think they're still relevant to newer RC sections? I feel like RC used to be more straight forward and now it has more to do with inferences you make. I already have the packets but wondering if they will be useful for someone who wants to make RC their bitch.
You should still remember a fair bit of the techniques, though you'll probably feel a bit rusty on LG. As for the test material itself, you should have probably forgotten most of it so you can treat a lot of the old PTs as fresh ones.

As for the Cambridge packets, despite the questions being slightly different from the newer ones I think they're still great tools for just drilling reading for structure and, once you find an RC strategy that works for you, perfecting that strategy.
The first time I went over my Sept. test to review it, I barely remembered any of the questions so that's good for me to be able to reuse material. I still have a fair amount of virgin tests left to prep with.

Agreed with the above.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:If you are still in UG and have wiggle room in your schedule, take some introductory philosophy courses. I'm not even kidding this will help your LSAT score.
I took one and didnt think it helped tbh lol

then again, I did half-ass my way through it so.. lol
formal logic had some overlap but also had the lowest average of any course I've taken in UG, so, y'know.
I'm a big proponent of language classes if you need an easy A+. The marking is objective and the content is brutally easy. I wouldn't touch anything requiring essays with a 100m pole.
Same, which is a pity because they're usually interesting and writing is a good skill to have. But if you end up with that TA that gives out one A per paper in 60-70 students, with a C average, aka my political theory class last year, you're basically fucked.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm

chargers21 wrote:Canadians using the metric system in here... :roll:
how many cm tall r u Chargers

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:If you are still in UG and have wiggle room in your schedule, take some introductory philosophy courses. I'm not even kidding this will help your LSAT score.

formal logic had some overlap but also had the lowest average of any course I've taken in UG, so, y'know.
I'm a big proponent of language classes if you need an easy A+. The marking is objective and the content is brutally easy. I wouldn't touch anything requiring essays with a 100m pole.
Same, which is a pity because they're usually interesting and writing is a good skill to have. But if you end up with that TA that gives out one A per paper in 60-70 students, with a C average, aka my political theory class last year, you're basically fucked.
It's so frustrating. One of my majors is PoliSci, so I unfortunately can't avoid it, and nothing stresses me out more than when the prof straight up says, "I don't give A+s." This is a reason why I always argue with my STEM friends about the difficulty of arts/social science programs. Sure it's easier to not fail than in STEM, but it's harder to get those A+s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Canadians using the metric system in here... :roll:
how many cm tall r u Chargers
Uhhhh 2?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

It's so frustrating. One of my majors is PoliSci, so I unfortunately can't avoid it, and nothing stresses me out more than when the prof straight up says, "I don't give A+s." This is a reason why I always argue with my STEM friends about the difficulty of arts/social science programs. Sure it's easier to not fail than in STEM, but it's harder to get those A+s.
The thing about STEM is that it often takes more work but the grades are much more in your control. I love Poli Sci (and arts/humanities/ss courses) but if it's mostly or totally paper based it's just so shot in the dark grades-wise. I'd almost rather take a brutally dense neurology class, spend hours memorizing the textbook, and be relatively confident I'll do well, than an "easier" arts course where who the fuck knows.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
The thing about STEM is that it often takes more work but the grades are much more in your control. I love Poli Sci (and arts/humanities/ss courses) but if it's mostly or totally paper based it's just so shot in the dark grades-wise. I'd almost rather take a brutally dense neurology class, spend hours memorizing the textbook, and be relatively confident I'll do well, than an "easier" arts course where who the fuck knows.
Exactly. I'd rather have the best 2 of 3 midterms I took count for 50% of my grade than a single research essay, thank you very much.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Side note, man I just want >3 hours of sleep, plz.
If I've been acting weird these past couple of days ~2 hrs of sleep for multiple nights on end iz my excuse, thx.
that and overwhelming grief #RIPSweet

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

My major had a pretty low gpa at my school, so I'm kind of happy I beat the odds a little and came out with a high gpa. Also, I was looking around and I could probably easily get into a top 5 psych program if I wanted to, maybe even Harvard. I think I'm going to take the GRE this summer. You think whatever school I go to will let me tack on an MA/PhD/MBA at some point? Kind of having those "I'm going to law school next year but I wish I would have explored other things a little first" regrets right now. I was basically guaranteed a PhD position at my UG which is t20 for psych where I would have profited off the fellowship. If they offered an MA I would have done it

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Alex and DJ- you guys wrecked the GRE thread haha. Definitely agree with all of your points. This is really interesting/concerning

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Alex and DJ- you guys wrecked the GRE thread haha. Definitely agree with all of your points. This is really interesting/concerning
I'm just really hoping it won't have a major effect on admissions outcomes anytime in the next few years.

Also, Jager, you'll be fine. The only t14 accepting GREs next fall is H. You have nothing to worry about.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Alex and DJ- you guys wrecked the GRE thread haha. Definitely agree with all of your points. This is really interesting/concerning
I'm just really hoping it won't have a major effect on admissions outcomes anytime in the next few years.

Also, Jager, you'll be fine. The only t14 accepting GREs next fall is H. You have nothing to worry about.
I'm still super conflicted and somewhat concerned on this. Someone said before that "We aren't in a shortage of law degrees" and the market is still now riding a slow upswing. Why flood it with GRE plebs who didn't want to go to LS in the first place?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:03 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I'm still super conflicted and somewhat concerned on this. Someone said before that "We aren't in a shortage of law degrees" and the market is still now riding a slow upswing. Why flood it with GRE plebs who didn't want to go to LS in the first place?
This 100%.

Applicants are on the decline, high scores are on the decline, and, at least judging by last cycle's data, GPAs are on the decline - so that might have something to do with it. And individual LS's may or may not care that law is super-oversaturated. Although, imo, being cognizant of this and not flooding the field with people who aren't genuine about law school is in their long-term interest.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

This 100%.

Applicants are on the decline, high scores are on the decline, and, at least judging by last cycle's data, GPAs are on the decline - so that might have something to do with it. And individual LS's may or may not care that law is super-oversaturated. Although, imo, being cognizant of this and not flooding the field with people who aren't genuine about law school is in their long-term interest.
please get desperate LS, please.

I think we need to have a quantity over quality thought but ls in some way is a business. I am a little curious to see how widespread of knowledge this is. anecdotal as it may be, not many around here have a clue

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

This 100%.

I think we need to have a quantity over quality thought but ls in some way is a business. I am a little curious to see how widespread of knowledge this is. anecdotal as it may be, not many around here have a clue
Any law school admissions officer can probably be reasonably expected to know the state of the legal field pretty well.

I just hope some of the other schools will share our reservations and not all just jump on board the "accepting GREs" boat. I also hope my musing earlier that it might take some time to catch on among applicants once it's initiated will have some truth, although tbh probably wishful thinking.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

This 100%.

Any law school admissions officer can probably be reasonably expected to know the state of the legal field pretty well.

I just hope some of the other schools will share our reservations and not all just jump on board the "accepting GREs" boat. I also hope my musing earlier that it might take some time to catch on among applicants once it's initiated will have some truth, although tbh probably wishful thinking.
I'd imagine schools with huge classes to fill will be jumping at the opportunity to follow suit, while those with smaller class sizes won't be eager.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

This 100%.

Yeah I agree with all this. I don't understand why they would flood apps with GREs...if anything just lower the LSAT median like has been occuring and that should adjust for what they are trying to achieve.

Alex, I hope it doesn't...even for HLS sake. Is H doing it next fall for apps or the year after? I might just go bonanza and right after the LSAT crush the GRE in a month or so.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote: I'm just really hoping it won't have a major effect on admissions outcomes anytime in the next few years.

This 100%.

Yeah I agree with all this. I don't understand why they would flood apps with GREs...if anything just lower the LSAT median like has been occuring and that should adjust for what they are trying to achieve.

Alex, I hope it doesn't...even for HLS sake. Is H doing it next fall for apps or the year after? I might just go bonanza and right after the LSAT crush the GRE in a month or so.
I thought it was next fall but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also somewhat confused because Spivey said the ABA approval stuff wouldn't happen until 2018-2019.
Yeah thats what I was confused about. 2017-2018 cycle or 2018-2019

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”