The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Well that's $70 down the drain :roll: :x
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:54 pm

"digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital)"

Perhaps I'm just a dumb millennial, but what type of watch is allowed under this rule? An old school wrist watch with no functions at all?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Csupo

New

Post by Csupo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

For anyone who has the Cambridge LG packets: how do these packets classify the games? Is it exactly similar to PowerScore's method of classification? (i.e., Basic Linear, Grouping Defined Fixed Balanced, Pure Sequencing, etc.) Or do they also classify some games as In/Out? Also do they sort games by difficulty?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 pm

LSAC is so annoying, jfc.

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Just to be clear; I blew $70 on a fancy paperweight?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:Well that's $70 down the drain :roll: :x
No kidding :/ i just bought one Monday. Well, at least it'll get some use between now and the test and I'll have to get a regular watch for the test.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Csupo wrote:For anyone who has the Cambridge LG packets: how do these packets classify the games? Is it exactly similar to PowerScore's method of classification? (i.e., Basic Linear, Grouping Defined Fixed Balanced, Pure Sequencing, etc.) Or do they also classify some games as In/Out? Also do they sort games by difficulty?
Cambridge LG consists of 8 PDFs titled:

Complex Ordering
Grouping (Distribution)
Simple Ordering
Determined Assignment
In/Out Grouping
Miscellaneous
Undetermined Assignment
Relative Ordering

And yes they are arranged by difficulty.

Csupo

New

Post by Csupo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Gluteus wrote:
Csupo wrote:For anyone who has the Cambridge LG packets: how do these packets classify the games? Is it exactly similar to PowerScore's method of classification? (i.e., Basic Linear, Grouping Defined Fixed Balanced, Pure Sequencing, etc.) Or do they also classify some games as In/Out? Also do they sort games by difficulty?
Cambridge LG consists of 8 PDFs titled:

Complex Ordering
Grouping (Distribution)
Simple Ordering
Determined Assignment
In/Out Grouping
Miscellaneous
Undetermined Assignment
Relative Ordering

And yes they are arranged by difficulty.
Thank you!!!

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 pm

clueless801 wrote:
No kidding :/ i just bought one Monday. Well, at least it'll get some use between now and the test and I'll have to get a regular watch for the test.
I'm almost reluctant to even use it now that I know it is banned for the test. I just had my highest PT yesterday on my first time using it (correlation, hopefully) so I'm sad to hear it is banned now :cry:
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NeverOrNow

New

Post by NeverOrNow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Being 8 years out of school, I was nervous about getting an academic LOR. I reached out to an undergraduate professor yesterday who said he would be happy to write me an LOR. Super pumped because now I can use his LOR and one from my previous employer, and not have to get one from my current manager. I assume that my current job would become pretty hostile for the next year if I needed an LOR from my current boss. This takes a lot of my application stress away. Now to just get my score up a few points here in September!
This is very encouraging. I've been out for a long time too. I've been dreading reaching out to a few professors.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Man LSAC is Chaotic Stupid. Why ban these watches? It's like they feed off our hatred.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm

clueless801 wrote:
I'd recommend getting used to a regular watch far in advance of the real test. It's a big change if you're used to the easy to read 180/MM face.

I'd also recommend something like this watch : https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-7E ... ting+bezel

It's cheap, and the bezel easily rotates. Just put the marker on the bezel when your time starts, and it's easy enough to track 35 minutes. You could likely even use a sharpie and make colors on the bezel to show your 10/5/0 minute marks.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Bezel is too loud on my normal watch. I'm just going to be resetting it to 12 every section. You force my hand LSAC! And ofc in the end their change in policy accomplishes nothing but aggravating people who spent money on the LSAT watches.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Did anyone in June use the MM?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Impressionist wrote:Bezel is too loud on my normal watch. I'm just going to be resetting it to 12 every section. You force my hand LSAC! And ofc in the end their change in policy accomplishes nothing but aggravating people who spent money on the LSAT watches.
Yeah, it is a bit goofy that they are SO restrictive of what watches can be used for a test that is supposed to be heavily constrained by time...

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

twiix wrote:
I'd recommend getting used to a regular watch far in advance of the real test. It's a big change if you're used to the easy to read 180/MM face.

I'd also recommend something like this watch : https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-7E ... ting+bezel

It's cheap, and the bezel easily rotates. Just put the marker on the bezel when your time starts, and it's easy enough to track 35 minutes. You could likely even use a sharpie and make colors on the bezel to show your 10/5/0 minute marks.
Yeah, that looks really promising. Do you use it?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Anyone know the return policy for the MM watch? Slash does anyone not care about the policy and would be interested in my so brand new that it's not arriving til my house til Friday MM?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

chewinggum wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Anyone know the return policy for the MM watch? Slash does anyone not care about the policy and would be interested in my so brand new that it's not arriving til my house til Friday MM?
I believe Mastermind's primary sell is that it's "lsat approved" so you should be able to return it. Esp if you don't open it
I kinda feel really bad for the MM watch guys - they put a really awesome quality watch on the market only for LSAC to lower its value. Hopefully they'll let me return it!! I'll keep everyone updated.

NeverOrNow

New

Post by NeverOrNow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:27 pm

clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:

Yeah, that looks really promising. Do you use it?
I use it and used it during June. It's easy to use and I haven't had any issues with it at all. The bezel sticks at first but quickly loosens up. I'm actually on my second one because I promised to give the first one to my kid after the June test.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Impressionist wrote:Bezel is too loud on my normal watch. I'm just going to be resetting it to 12 every section. You force my hand LSAC! And ofc in the end their change in policy accomplishes nothing but aggravating people who spent money on the LSAT watches.
Yeah, it is a bit goofy that they are SO restrictive of what watches can be used for a test that is supposed to be heavily constrained by time...
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. Fact of the matter is that if the goal of this change is fairness or adding artificial difficulty to the test then it still is a big failure because we can still bring watches and accomplish the same thing as before with only slightly more work. Until they ban all watches, a change like this makes no sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Impressionist wrote:
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. Fact of the matter is that if the goal of this change is fairness or adding artificial difficulty to the test then it still is a big failure because we can still bring watches and accomplish the same thing as before with only slightly more work. Until they ban all watches, a change like this makes no sense.
It really doesn't make any sense. I'd love to see an explanation as to why they banned them, because at the moment, it makes 0 sense and just makes them look dumb because of what you mentioned.

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Jon Denning posted this in r/LSAT:
[+] Spoiler
"Yeah I could see that perspective if that functionality difference is what drove this change. That said, I've never seen people use chronos as timers during the test; we always encourage our students, and I think it's pretty much universally accepted, to simply reset the minute hand to 12 at the start of each section and pace yourself as it moves to 7.

And if you're trying to truly level the field then don't permit watches in the first place: a watch in general conveys advantages that penalize those unable to afford them...shouldn't they all be banned? LSAT-specific watches (built specifically to count down from 35 minutes, not to tell time) can offer similar advantages over a traditional analog timepiece. How long until those are disallowed?

The whole thing is a bit slippery if the notion of fair play is at the heart of LSAC's thinking. And are they really going to rely on random proctors' horological knowledge as the gate keeper for what's permitted and what's confiscated? Just seems poorly thought out."
specifically the bolded part. Maybe we are reacting too quick?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Impressionist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Not sarcasm, mostly bewilderment. I genuinely don't understand why, if time is a huge factor for the vast majority of test takers, the rules for watches make it difficult to efficiently track time during the test. I agree with you, of course. I just don't understand why making test takers use outdated watches determines who is more prepared for success in law school.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Ira Hayes wrote:Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Jon Denning posted this in r/LSAT:
[+] Spoiler
"Yeah I could see that perspective if that functionality difference is what drove this change. That said, I've never seen people use chronos as timers during the test; we always encourage our students, and I think it's pretty much universally accepted, to simply reset the minute hand to 12 at the start of each section and pace yourself as it moves to 7.

And if you're trying to truly level the field then don't permit watches in the first place: a watch in general conveys advantages that penalize those unable to afford them...shouldn't they all be banned? LSAT-specific watches (built specifically to count down from 35 minutes, not to tell time) can offer similar advantages over a traditional analog timepiece. How long until those are disallowed?

The whole thing is a bit slippery if the notion of fair play is at the heart of LSAC's thinking. And are they really going to rely on random proctors' horological knowledge as the gate keeper for what's permitted and what's confiscated? Just seems poorly thought out."
specifically the bolded part. Maybe we are reacting too quick?
Link to this thread/post?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”