Water! You degenerates!
26%

Total votes: 70

oopsu812

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Oh shit. Just realized my GPA is gonna be lower than I thought because A-s are 3.67, not 3.7. Shit.
Anyone now if 7sage's GPA predictor is accurate? That's what I've been using.

Damn that really sucks man. You should play around with the law school predictor LSDAS GPA calculator to see what's possible to achieve with so many credits and what not.

ETA: I get the same on the 7sage calculator as on the one I typically use, which tells you what the 4.0 equivalent is, so yeah.

I've been calculating using 7sage and lawpad's calculators and I get the same on both - Do you know if they use 3.7s or 3.67?

This is dumb but I can't figure out how to use law school predictor's. Is there like a "go" button anywhere? Might just not work with my browser.

They must use 3.67s, because the law school predictor's does, and I got the same calculation on 7sage as with that.

You need to "Agree to Terms" to receive your LSDAS GPA. READ ALEX.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Oh shit. Just realized my GPA is gonna be lower than I thought because A-s are 3.67, not 3.7. Shit.

Damn that really sucks man. You should play around with the law school predictor LSDAS GPA calculator to see what's possible to achieve with so many credits and what not.

ETA: I get the same on the 7sage calculator as on the one I typically use, which tells you what the 4.0 equivalent is, so yeah.

I've been calculating using 7sage and lawpad's calculators and I get the same on both - Do you know if they use 3.7s or 3.67?

This is dumb but I can't figure out how to use law school predictor's. Is there like a "go" button anywhere? Might just not work with my browser.

They must use 3.67s, because the law school predictor's does, and I got the same calculation on 7sage as with that.

LSP is so sketchy man.

I get the same on that as well, so they must all use it. All good, folks. Also LOL at how much I'm counting my eggs before they hatched GPA-wise, RIP.

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:55 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

LSP is so sketchy man.

I get the same on that as well, so they must all use it. All good, folks. Also LOL at how much I'm counting my eggs before they hatched GPA-wise, RIP.

I mean, I'd imagine 7sage would be spot on with their calculator. They're a quality company.

Also, I'm glad me never sleeping spared you a night of terror over your GPA. Fuck you're lucky that you're almost done and have it set in stone. Praise Stanny.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

LSP is so sketchy man.

I mean, I'd imagine 7sage would be spot on with their calculator. They're a quality company.

Also, I'm glad me never sleeping spared you a night of terror over your GPA. Fuck you're lucky that you're almost done and have it set in stone. Praise Stanny.

3 semesters to go, fam, if you count this one. :| (well, two and 2/5ths...)

Oh shoot. I don't know why I thought you were writing your last exams now. Well, I'm glad you'll be suffering this year with me. :twisted: I expect straight As, sir.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:28 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Oh shoot. I don't know why I thought you were writing your last exams now. Well, I'm glad you'll be suffering this year with me. :twisted: I expect straight As, sir.

If only... :?

Lol this semester ain't going well. Methinks burnout. Next yr will def be straight As.

Just try to limit the damage, that's all you can do. I think most people have a semester or two like that, I know I did last year. Just have to refocus and bounce back strong. Here's hoping that I can do that this summer and you can do that in the fall, lol.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am

Just had a miniature heart attack but then I realized my calculator was right http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/
since my gpa is riddled with A-'s. you're fine relax.

Lalalsat96

Postby Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

Thank you all for the advice earlier! How long did it take you all to work through the Powerscore books ? They're pretty huge so i was giving myself a month :roll:

Also 3.67 as an A- sucks. Its what my university does (no A+ at my school either :? ) so at least no surprises with lsac

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

CottonHarvest wrote:
abujabal wrote:Ugh just did PT 3.2 for LR and managed to get a -11 on it, which is worse than I think I've ever done. Granted I've taken a grand total of 6 LR sections total ever, but I had just finished the LSAT Trainer section 1 on LR. Need to modulate my schedule better - this after work starting at 9 PM may not be sustainable in the long-run. -6 on Blind Review though, which I suppose is better, but generally atrocious

If you've only done 5 chapters of the trainer and 6 LR sections total there is no reason to worry. Just keep at it and you'll be fine by September; the test is still 4 1/2 months away.

Fair enough - my default mode tends to be panic. Looks like I have a Friday night date with an LR section!

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

[+] Spoiler

As I continue to read about H and S, I continue to be plunged into sadness.Softs don't fail me now!

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Alexandros wrote:IT SUCKS DOESN'T IT.

It's pretty unfair, especially since the percentage range of your A isn't any bigger than the percentage range of my A+ and A together. It would be a bit more fair if it was at least easier for you to get an A than it was for me.

Lalalsat96

Postby Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Just had a miniature heart attack but then I realized my calculator was right http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/
since my gpa is riddled with A-'s. you're fine relax.

Yeah I've been calculating my gpa using those calculators the whole time, so that was already accounted for. I dunno why I was flipping out.

Lalalsat96 wrote:Thank you all for the advice earlier! How long did it take you all to work through the Powerscore books ? They're pretty huge so i was giving myself a month :roll:

Also 3.67 as an A- sucks. Its what my university does (no A+ at my school either :? ) so at least no surprises with lsac

IT SUCKS DOESN'T IT.

Its sucks but being polisci afforded me 3.8 so in case i have a bad spring '17 semester I should be still "competitive". Honestly it's the LSAT that sucks to me anyways right now it's like 165 or bust :oops: as we all know or heard you can have a 3.4 and go to HLS if your lsat score is beautiful. Don't worry on GPA too much its not weighted as much as in LSAT in admissions anyhow!

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Lalalsat96

Postby Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

It's pretty unfair, especially since the percentage range of your A isn't any bigger than the percentage range of my A+ and A together. It would be a bit more fair if it was at least easier for you to get an A than it was for me.

(Don't quote) I'm loading up on A+s via CC classes so I can't really complain lol. When I chose my school and stuff I was under the impression that A+s were treated as As for all officially purposes. Lol [insert wrong gif]

I'm a bit confused by A+s. I get that at some schools they're discretionary and very hard to get, which sort of makes sense. But up here most schools it's 90+ for an A+. If I got a 4.3 for every class I finished 90+ I would have such a killer GPA right now. (Then again maybe my school is just easier and it's harder to get a 90+ most places?) I really do think I'd have close to, probably over, a 4.0 right now, which is frustrating.

It's one of the many flaws in the system and life isn't fair, but I sort of think that should be somehow taken into account.

I complain about all the would A+'s I could of had all the time! but alas some schools don't have them to maintain their USNWR ranking I presume-at least I think its the case with my uni

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

At my school, A+s are rarely given out in classes where you write papers. I'd say I can pull As without much effort, but breaking the 90% barrier seems to mean I need to talk to the prof and figure out exactly what they're looking for. I've also had a couple professors say that they just don't give them out period, lol. Meanwhile I have straight A+s in every class I've taken that was maths based. It wouldn't surprise me if profs are less willing to give out 90%+ when there's a distinction between that and 85% - 89%, than when it's all the same. It's not like the % is on your transcript.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

At my school, A+s are rarely given out in classes where you write papers. I'd say I can pull As without much effort, but breaking the 90% barrier seems to mean I need to talk to the prof and figure out exactly what they're looking for. I've also had a couple professors say that they just don't give them out period, lol. Meanwhile I have straight A+s in every class I've taken that was maths based. It wouldn't surprise me if profs are less willing to give out 90%+ when there's a distinction between that and 85% - 89%, than when it's all the same. It's not like the % is on your transcript.

A+ as a discretionary thing makes sense to me. I think there's more room for discretionary grades (for it being harder to get A+s / 90+) in arts because it's so subjective, whereas a lot of science is how well you do on a multiple choice exam. (Also I'm not sure my ranting applies in places that aren't N Cali, since the cut-off for A+ in the US is insanely high.) (Also I'm becoming convinced that arts grade deflation is a thing up here. Good luck, comrade.)

Ugh ok must study.

I think arts grade deflation is definitely a thing here. At some point it stops being about writing an organized, well thought out, and well written essay/exam, and starts becoming about figuring out what your professor wants to see, and often pandering to their own opinions. It sucks, but that's what I've learned from my first couple of years. Prof selection is so fucking important in the arts, because if you get stuck with a prof that isn't really helpful or truly available during their office hours, then you're likely not getting that A+. I'm glad now that I have mostly electives left for the PoliSci part of my degree, so I have more control over the profs I take courses with, lol.

calmike

Postby calmike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

I suck at RC!!!!

PT 58!

I took this test Tuesday evening after working all day. I started at 5:30 pm and ended around 8:30 pm.

Score= 170!

LG: 0
R1: 23/26 -3
R1: 23/25 -2
RC: 21/27 -6 :(

I really need to study RC and practice it. It is keeping me down. I scored really well with LG and LR in PT 58.

I will take PT 59 on Sunday and then review it. During the week I will study RC and take PT 60 on Thursday night.

Any tips with RC?

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:37 pm

calmike wrote:I suck at RC!!!!

PT 58!

I took this test Tuesday evening after working all day. I started at 5:30 pm and ended around 8:30 pm.

Score= 170!

LG: 0
R1: 23/26 -3
R1: 23/25 -2
RC: 21/27 -6 :(

I really need to study RC and practice it. It is keeping me down. I scored really well with LG and LR in PT 58.

I will take PT 59 on Sunday and then review it. During the week I will study RC and take PT 60 on Thursday night.

Any tips with RC?

CONGRATS! 8)
Repetition is key for RC imo.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

A+ as a discretionary thing makes sense to me. I think there's more room for discretionary grades (for it being harder to get A+s / 90+) in arts because it's so subjective, whereas a lot of science is how well you do on a multiple choice exam. (Also I'm not sure my ranting applies in places that aren't N Cali, since the cut-off for A+ in the US is insanely high.) (Also I'm becoming convinced that arts grade deflation is a thing up here. Good luck, comrade.)

Ugh ok must study.

I think arts grade deflation is definitely a thing here. At some point it stops being about writing an organized, well thought out, and well written essay/exam, and starts becoming about figuring out what your professor wants to see, and often pandering to their own opinions. It sucks, but that's what I've learned from my first couple of years. Prof selection is so fucking important in the arts, because if you get stuck with a prof that isn't really helpful or truly available during their office hours, then you're likely not getting that A+. I'm glad now that I have mostly electives left for the PoliSci part of my degree, so I have more control over the profs I take courses with, lol.

Yeah, totally agree. And that becomes compounded when everything is marked by TAs and the profs themselves have nothing to do with it. Content-wise I like the arts 1000x better but I hate the lack of control and not knowing where your grades are coming from.
On that note, fairly convinced PoliSci tends to be much harder here in N California than the rest of the country, judging from what I've heard. Not a cakewalk at all.

Yeah, the first time I ever heard PoliSci described as a good study programme for a high GPA was on this website, so there must be something different in N California than in the rest of the country, because it certainly wouldn't be my choice. The class averages in my PoliSci courses are much much lower than in my Maths and Economics courses.

CottonHarvest

Postby CottonHarvest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

What is the percentage ranges breakdown for grades at your university?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”