The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

vonrus1

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
vonrus1 wrote:Hit 170 on pt 71 under test conditions for the first time last night. -4 LR1, -5LR2, -3LF, -2RC. Wicked -14 curve.
Congrats, that first 170 is a good feeling.
Thanks, it really is. I'm afraid I benefited a bit too much from that curve though. I'd like to get down to a -10 just to be safe. June's -9 can't happen again...right? Right!?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Just had my first sub-170 score since June. Went 88/101 on PT 68 for a 169 :|

This may be too broad of a question, but does anyone have advice for how to approach LR more consistently? I find that I'm not struggling with 1 type of question. Rather, I usually get difficult questions wrong while occasionally missing an easy question (maybe 1 per PT). I think that over time I may have developed some bad habits in regard to approaching the questions (not having a strict approach to each question; not diagramming enough). Is there any way I can change this in the next month? LR is the section that is preventing me from consistently scoring in the mid-high 170s, and too often I still go -5 on a single LR section, which will definitely kill me if it happens next month.

TLDR: Need to be more strict in how I approach LR in general even though I am not particularly weak in any given question type. The struggle & stress are real
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm

vonrus1 wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
vonrus1 wrote:Hit 170 on pt 71 under test conditions for the first time last night. -4 LR1, -5LR2, -3LF, -2RC. Wicked -14 curve.
Thanks, it really is. I'm afraid I benefited a bit too much from that curve though. I'd like to get down to a -10 just to be safe. June's -9 can't happen again...right? Right!?
June was actually a -8 :shock:

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
vonrus1 wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
June was actually a -8 :shock:
-9 for 170.

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-jun ... e-analyzed

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:Just had my first sub-170 score since June. Went 88/101 on PT 68 for a 169 :|

This may be too broad of a question, but does anyone have advice for how to approach LR more consistently? I find that I'm not struggling with 1 type of question. Rather, I usually get difficult questions wrong while occasionally missing an easy question (maybe 1 per PT). I think that over time I may have developed some bad habits in regard to approaching the questions (not having a strict approach to each question; not diagramming enough). Is there any way I can change this in the next month? LR is the section that is preventing me from consistently scoring in the mid-high 170s, and too often I still go -5 on a single LR section, which will definitely kill me if it happens next month.

TLDR: Need to be more strict in how I approach LR in general even though I am not particularly weak in any given question type. The struggle & stress are real
I wouldn't stress a single PT. But missing 5 per LR is a little bit of a problem. If your untimed sections are usually perfect, I would look into a skipping strategy. The goal is to have around 10 mins to come back to those hard questions you are likely to miss and spend extra time as needed. This can help close the gap between timed and untimed scores.

For me, perfecting LR required that I focus on accurate reading. Missing a modifier can hurt you even on easy questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Just had my first sub-170 score since June. Went 88/101 on PT 68 for a 169 :|

I wouldn't stress a single PT. But missing 5 per LR is a little bit of a problem. If your untimed sections are usually perfect, I would look into a skipping strategy. The goal is to have around 10 mins to come back to those hard questions you are likely to miss and spend extra time as needed. This can help close the gap between timed and untimed scores.

For me, perfecting LR required that I focus on accurate reading. Missing a modifier can hurt you even on easy questions.
I just started doing full-on BR a couple of weeks ago (I used to only review questions I got wrong), and I still usually miss a couple of questions that I answered incorrectly even on BR. Typically, I struggle with abstract questions the most (principle, assumption, flaw, sometimes method of reasoning).

I usually have 4-8 minutes left after I finish a section. However, a major red flag is that I often get a question wrong that I didn't mark for BR and that I thought I had answered correctly.

I definitely don't want to read to much into this single PT, but it seems to be perfect storm of all of my shortcomings. So I definitely want to shore up my weaknesses if I want to reach my goal (scoring a 173+ on the real thing) by next month

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:

I just started doing full-on BR a couple of weeks ago (I used to only review questions I got wrong), and I still usually miss a couple of questions that I answered incorrectly even on BR. Typically, I struggle with abstract questions the most (principle, assumption, flaw, sometimes method of reasoning).

I usually have 4-8 minutes left after I finish a section. However, a major red flag is that I often get a question wrong that I didn't mark for BR and that I thought I had answered correctly.

I definitely don't want to read to much into this single PT, but it seems to be perfect storm of all of my shortcomings. So I definitely want to shore up my weaknesses if I want to reach my goal (scoring a 173+ on the real thing) by next month
Yea, I had a similar problem with flaw questions. Fixed it by printing out a drill pack, covering up the answer choices and forcing myself to describe, in abstract terms, the flaw before looking at the ACs. Do this 200 times and flaws get significantly easier. Similar strategy is helpful for NA and SA questions types as well.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:

Yea, I had a similar problem with flaw questions. Fixed it by printing out a drill pack, covering up the answer choices and forcing myself to describe, in abstract terms, the flaw before looking at the ACs. Do this 200 times and flaws get significantly easier. Similar strategy is helpful for NA and SA questions types as well.
Thanks, I may try this strategy tomorrow. I haven't drilled in the past month, so that could definitely help :D

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:

Where would one find said pack?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Necessary Assumption questions are going to be the death of my score.

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:

Thanks, I may try this strategy tomorrow. I haven't drilled in the past month, so that could definitely help :D
I've managed to get most of my LR scores down to -2/-1 but was in this situation a couple weeks ago. I think your first focus should be the easy-ish question that you look back at and wonder what went wrong. Nailing every question that's 3 stars or below difficulty wise on 7sage is key IMO to keeping scores above 170. My best advice for this is to underline modifiers, which I think was mentioned. Every time I see an "only" or "sometimes," I underline. That's helped me cut down on missing these.

As far as the harder questions, this is what I've started to do: I read the stem, read the stimulus, and then try to eliminate three answers. You can almost always eliminate three answers off the bat if you read carefully. Then, I reread the stimulus and read the two answers again. This is really useful for me, and I've found that the hard questions I miss tend to be ones where I neglect this strategy bc I thought I had it figured out. Also, if you haven't yet, developing your own notation system for LR questions helped me a ton. I use parentheses for premises, brackets for subconclusions, underline conclusions. I really think notation is underemphasized in the LR Bible. Once I noticed it was working for me on RC (I put a delta symbol next to any author opinion and that helps a ton), I tried on LR, and it worked like a charm.

Regardless, don't worry about a single PT. And if it'll make you feel better, I'd even suggest taking a day or two to relax. A two-day break for me pushed me from 172's to 175/176 and I'm convinced it's really just because I felt refreshed and focused when I came back to the LSAT.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm

clueless801 wrote:Necessary Assumption questions are going to be the death of my score.
Make sure you are using the negation technique and drill, drill, drill. This is probably the question type where I have noticed the most patterned/similar answers. You can really get a feel for the right answers and they all seem to be in just a few styles.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:07 pm

creed wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:

I've managed to get most of my LR scores down to -2/-1 but was in this situation a couple weeks ago. I think your first focus should be the easy-ish question that you look back at and wonder what went wrong. Nailing every question that's 3 stars or below difficulty wise on 7sage is key IMO to keeping scores above 170. My best advice for this is to underline modifiers, which I think was mentioned. Every time I see an "only" or "sometimes," I underline. That's helped me cut down on missing these.

As far as the harder questions, this is what I've started to do: I read the stem, read the stimulus, and then try to eliminate three answers. You can almost always eliminate three answers off the bat if you read carefully. Then, I reread the stimulus and read the two answers again. This is really useful for me, and I've found that the hard questions I miss tend to be ones where I neglect this strategy bc I thought I had it figured out. Also, if you haven't yet, developing your own notation system for LR questions helped me a ton. I use parentheses for premises, brackets for subconclusions, underline conclusions. I really think notation is underemphasized in the LR Bible. Once I noticed it was working for me on RC (I put a delta symbol next to any author opinion and that helps a ton), I tried on LR, and it worked like a charm.

Regardless, don't worry about a single PT. And if it'll make you feel better, I'd even suggest taking a day or two to relax. A two-day break for me pushed me from 172's to 175/176 and I'm convinced it's really just because I felt refreshed and focused when I came back to the LSAT.
Thanks for the tips and advice! I think I'm going to do a couple of hours of LR drilling tomorrow and may try that technique re: notation. And it is encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one who has had this issue with LR :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

PT55 timed LG section 20/23

Ran out of time on the last game. Haven't looked at LG in awhile, so hopefully partially attributable to rustiness.

Soon ready to begin timed LR sections, instead of strictly targeted drilling. Seems like I'm at 90%+/- 2.5% for all question types so far. May change tomorrow as I'm working on parallel.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm

PT 70

LR: -2 and -3
RC: -5
LG: -0

Honestly thought the last LR section was fucking hard as hell, thought I did so much worse. good news is, this is my highest PT score :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Alright, who is messing with me????????? Scored 167 on my last PT (59 I think) with experimental and just scored PT 62 with experimental and got a 176. Ugh kill me, I know this is an outlier.
omgggggggg no way, you're awesome <3

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Mikey wrote:PT 70

LR: -2 and -3
RC: -5
LG: -0

Honestly thought the last LR section was fucking hard as hell, thought I did so much worse. good news is, this is my highest PT score :)
Dude, nice. Coming together in time for the test.
littlewing67 wrote:Alright, who is messing with me????????? Scored 167 on my last PT (59 I think) with experimental and just scored PT 62 with experimental and got a 176. Ugh kill me, I know this is an outlier.
It may be an outlier, but only until you do more tests. A 176 doesn't happen by accident. There is no reason you can't replicate it on test day.

Hit PT 49 today, -1 on RC for a 180. Didn't feel too great, but I'll take it. I know people think that the newer test are 'more difficult', but I actually like the newer LR and RC better.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:10 pm

HesusChrist wrote: -1 on RC for a 180.
HesusChrist wrote: Didn't feel too great, but I'll take it.
wot

(but congrats!)

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
HesusChrist wrote: -1 on RC for a 180.
HesusChrist wrote: Didn't feel too great, but I'll take it.
wot

(but congrats!)
right? this dude is the lsat god. have mercy on us plebs
At least the son of the LSAT god...

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 pm

I agree, as I bounce back and forth between newer and older, the newer ones are easier to handle.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 pm

As I improve, I wonder what the hell I'm supposed to be learning from this, anyway, and if it will have anything to do with my law school grades. I can see logic games being at least redundant. That's why they're your first -0 section.

ScamMan101

New

Post by ScamMan101 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:48 am

Can anyone feel when they are about to make a large score jump? Its funny when I began my LSAT journey... my university offered a fully proctored test... I scored a 148. That was in May. Over the course of the last 3 months I've done a test a week at least and made steady jumps. Recently I had been stuck between the 168-172. I stopped taking tests and really focused on why I could not break that range. I feel like my LSAT knowledge and understanding of the test has drastically improved since my last test and I'm excited and hopeful that when I transition back into taking full tests that my score will once again jump. Hoping to join the 175 + club. Legoooo000ooo

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”