The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:50 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Bleh, I'm getting a headache after doing a ton of LG + Trainer chps. Been in the library since 10AM, but probably had ~5 productive hours. Guess I'm pushing off finishing the Trainer by one day, and hopefully I'll be done by Monday.

Since I'm in the library anyways, I guess I can work on my PS.

What is the best PS you have read? Mine was from some law school PS book, and basically the girl discusses how she volunteers at a psychiatric facility and gets to know the patients intimately. You feel as if you are going through the trials and tribulations that these people and the writer are going through. I think I even cried. IDK. It was good. Hopefully mine will be that good that someone cries 8)
Cant recall the favorite off the top of my head, but the most descriptive ones that are like the one you mentioned where you feel as if you are living in the story are definitely the best

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

My brain is officially RC burned out! I've legit been doing RC ALL week. Trainer and drilling/blind reviewing sections.

After today, I'm not touching RC for at least a week ugh :/

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 pm

I took a break for a week and a bit after the June LSAT and took a PT this morning - 162. :shock:

Previously I had been scoring 168-172 (more consistently 170-172 before burnout hit); My goal for September is 174-176. LR is by far my best section, followed by RC, LG is incredibly inconsistent I've been 23/23 on a section but I've also hit 16/23. I'm having to reuse PTs and on LR I remember the questions I got wrong, which is causing me to second guess my answers. I'm planning to make copies of the games so I can drill the game types, but I'm concerned I'll start learning the games.

Any tips/study strategies for a second time test taker?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 pm

> Sit down to do the "Mastery Challenge" of the Trainer for LG
> Spend literally 10 minutes diagramming a question
> Realize that maybe taking an evening off is in my interests
> Frustration that I either rip through an LG with -0 in 30 minutes, do -2 in 45, or -10 in 60

Oh well at least tonight's wine was free...

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leonidas1204

New

Post by Leonidas1204 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 am

The LSAT Trainer is expensive and looks time consuming (thick) but you guys keep talking about it. do i have to buy?
When you talk about "Mastery Challenge" has this guy made up LG problem types that don't already exist cause I would be keen to do things like that if they're something new or different from what practicing with PTs has to offer... but am not interested if it's a "here is how you diagram q y z game types" thing?
Also regarding the RC Trainer and because RC is the worst, does the RC Trainer really say anything that's more than the classic "read for structure & take notes"?

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 am

Leonidas1204 wrote:The LSAT Trainer is expensive and looks time consuming (thick) but you guys keep talking about it. do i have to buy?
When you talk about "Mastery Challenge" has this guy made up LG problem types that don't already exist cause I would be keen to do things like that if they're something new or different from what practicing with PTs has to offer... but am not interested if it's a "here is how you diagram q y z game types" thing?
Also regarding the RC Trainer and because RC is the worst, does the RC Trainer really say anything that's more than the classic "read for structure & take notes"?
The Mastery Challenge is just 4 harder than average games from previous LSATs: PT29, G2 (mannequins); PT31, G2 (CDs; AKA the Legally Blonde LG); PT32, G3 (compositions at a concert); PT35, G4 (hiring professors). The explanations are helpful, but you could just get copies of the game from other PTs and find explanations online.
I wouldn't buy the Trainer for the Mastery Challenge, but I found that using the Trainer with the LR and LG Bibles helped me review the lessons I knew, but with different language which helped me review more actively. The drills really helped me reinforce LG setups, formal logic lessons, and LR question types. It just depends where you are in your prep.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:50 am

Only 12 weeks left and I'm already scared shitless

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 am

PrezRand wrote:Only 12 weeks left and I'm already scared shitless
I went to bed Sunday night thinking pushing to December seems really attractive

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

sabraph wrote:
Leonidas1204 wrote:The LSAT Trainer is expensive and looks time consuming (thick) but you guys keep talking about it. do i have to buy?
The Mastery Challenge is just 4 harder than average games from previous LSATs: PT29, G2 (mannequins); PT31, G2 (CDs; AKA the Legally Blonde LG); PT32, G3 (compositions at a concert); PT35, G4 (hiring professors). The explanations are helpful, but you could just get copies of the game from other PTs and find explanations online.
I wouldn't buy the Trainer for the Mastery Challenge, but I found that using the Trainer with the LR and LG Bibles helped me review the lessons I knew, but with different language which helped me review more actively. The drills really helped me reinforce LG setups, formal logic lessons, and LR question types. It just depends where you are in your prep.
I'm a big advocate of the Trainer, especially for games. There was one method for sorting various subgroups using shapes that made everything so much easier/quicker for me. I bet you can get the 2016 version for cheaper than 2017 (and Mike Kim has said its the same thing). Additionally, I think it was the combination of the Trainer's formal logic lessons and the LR Bible's chapter 16 lesson that solidified the concepts for me, so if that's an area you struggle with it's definitely something to keep in mind.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:07 am

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:> Sit down to do the "Mastery Challenge" of the Trainer for LG
> Spend literally 10 minutes diagramming a question
> Realize that maybe taking an evening off is in my interests
> Frustration that I either rip through an LG with -0 in 30 minutes, do -2 in 45, or -10 in 60

Oh well at least tonight's wine was free...
Omg that is where I stopped today!!! I was getting tired of doing problems and my brain was getting fatigued. I've done the trainer and these LG before, but I was done after the first LG about mannequins and clothes. Tomorrow I'll finish the chapter and do some drilling on grouping games.

So no worries! Take a little break to clear your head and try again friend :)
Yeah definitely been pushing a little hard recently, but getting frustrated with a lack of progress on the games. It'll come, of course, but I spent up to 20 minutes on some of those games, which is unacceptable. I think my conditional logic sucks, so I'm going to review that in the Trainer, but any thoughts to the group on where else conditional is good? Also seems like a LGBible purchase is in my future.
Leonidas1204 wrote: Also regarding the RC Trainer and because RC is the worst, does the RC Trainer really say anything that's more than the classic "read for structure & take notes"?
Trainer's style seems to be: read, understand the point and the structure, venture forth and be merry.

If you're considering whether or not to invest, it's been my sole prep method for the past couple of months, and taken me from a 155-157 to a 167ish range, and I'm not done. It's a great investment - plus, is set up (and explicitly references) to be used with a notebook, so you can leave all your pages blank for either re-use or re-sale.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 am

-1 in a 50 question LR drill last night. Things are looking up! But BR'd and got that same question wrong :/ and can only wrap my mind around the correct answer because it's the correct answer, ugh!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am

chewinggum wrote:-1 in a 50 question LR drill last night. Things are looking up! But BR'd and got that same question wrong :/ and can only wrap my mind around the correct answer because it's the correct answer, ugh!
which question?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:-1 in a 50 question LR drill last night. Things are looking up! But BR'd and got that same question wrong :/ and can only wrap my mind around the correct answer because it's the correct answer, ugh!
which question?
A weaken question about dioxin and fish

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:04 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
which question?
which PT, S and #? maybe I can help you understand it

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
which question?
PT 45 S1 #12

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
which question?
PT 45 S1 #12
I got you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rosieposie12

New

Post by rosieposie12 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for additional materials pertaining to formal logic, specifically translating conditional statements/sufficient versus necessary statements? I definitely have a good grasp of the concepts, but I am looking for extensive practice to improve my confidence and speed, and I'm not sure if drilling LR questions is exactly what I'm looking to do.

Note: I already have the Trainer (haven't started it yet though) and the LR Bible.

Thanks! :)

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 pm

chewinggum wrote:
I went to bed Sunday night thinking pushing to December seems really attractive
I've already accepted this fate. I haven't had a minute to study in the last 2 weeks due to moving. Super frustrating.

Also conveniently haven't told this plan to the SO as she will get pissed that I can't accurately predict where we will be moving by the end of the year like I previously agreed to :x WHATEVER

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 pm

chargers21 wrote:I don't think pushing back is definitively the best thing for y'all, especially with the new rules. You might very well be prepared for the September test, and the December test could give you a late app if you are planning on this upcoming cycle
Yeah dont make me feel worse about it than I already do, asshole. (<3)

I'm also running on the prayers of sweet baby jesus with my super splitter app so I really really need to get an early app in, but I'm being realistic that I likely won't be ready.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Can it be September already?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:09 pm

chargers21 wrote:I don't think pushing back is definitively the best thing for y'all, especially with the new rules. You might very well be prepared for the September test, and the December test could give you a late app if you are planning on this upcoming cycle
I agree.

Anyways I'm starting today. Fk my sleep schedule if i have to study at night I will. I'll probably just start with drilling LG for a bit then hit everything else

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 pm

I did like 2 PTs like 2 weeks ago then stopped lol fml

where can I find some motivation to give a shit anymore

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Well I wasn't thinking about the test this way but now I'm even more stressed so that's cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”