The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Gluteus wrote:I think for LSAT materials I will use:
- PTs 70-80 for practice tests and blind review
- PTs 50-60 for timed sections and review
- Cambridge 2-38 for drilling

Beginning to realise that by the time I take the test I will have done all the LGs from at least 58/80 of the PTs and just about every notable game (in terms of difficultly or peculiarity). Hopefully this makes it such that my probability of being surprised on the LG section on test day is quite low.

Today and tomorrow off. Aiming for 8 hours per day on LG.
How are you approaching LG? I know you made copies of all your games etc.. But, what is your method of attack? Are you drilling like the 7Sage foolproof method through the packets or what?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Took PT 67 while on vacation today. Haven't done anything LSAT-related in about 8 days. Scored a 170 which was a bit disappointing given my last score of 176.

I really need to break through this 170-172 barrier to being consistently in the mid-170s. Ugh :x
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:Took PT 67 while on vacation today. Haven't done anything LSAT-related in about 8 days. Scored a 170 which was a bit disappointing given my last score of 176.

I really need to break through this 170-172 barrier to being consistently in the mid-170s. Ugh :x
Same boat. What are your weak points?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Took PT 67 while on vacation today. Haven't done anything LSAT-related in about 8 days. Scored a 170 which was a bit disappointing given my last score of 176.

I still get 2-4 wrong on most LR sections which is the reason my score fluctuates a bit. Parallel questions eat too much time even though I usually get them right. Strengthen questions and method of reasoning questions sometimes are the cause of my easy mistakes (i.e. The non 5 star questions that I still get wrong)
I still get 1-2 wrong in LG which I want to get down to 0. Today I got 1 wrong by making a stupid mistake in which I mixed up a rule that I should have easily gotten correct

Wbu?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Floating trip round two this weekend!

:twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:

I still get 2-4 wrong on most LR sections which is the reason my score fluctuates a bit. Parallel questions eat too much time even though I usually get them right. Strengthen questions and method of reasoning questions sometimes are the cause of my easy mistakes (i.e. The non 5 star questions that I still get wrong)
I still get 1-2 wrong in LG which I want to get down to 0. Today I got 1 wrong by making a stupid mistake in which I mixed up a rule that I should have easily gotten correct

Wbu?
Parallel questions really do eat so much time.. I never get them wrong, but I think it does relate to some easy mistakes I make later in the section.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Any tips for handling unfamiliar vocabulary in RC? (Including both the passage and the questions) I think this is tripping me up a bit on certain questions, and I do not pick the answer because of a key word I don't know. Examples of words I have difficulty with include the descriptions given in author's tone questions or other qualifier words (acute, preponderance).
Maybe when you finished the section.. write down words that stumped you and look them up so moving forward you are familiar with more and more vocab? Vocab is mostly accumulated through just reading and reading, but there could also be a LSAT Vocab book or study list packet? Something of the sorts. I remembered I used one for the SAT.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:

Wbu?
For the bolded, it's the opposite for me. I feel confident in my answers for parallel and then when I come back around for BR I figure out where I went wrong. I'm considering adopting a new strategy where I leave all these until the end and really digest them, as LR is where I feel the least time pressure. I could use more speed on games, and the last two days I've been drilling for that, so hopefully I'll see those improvements. I'm not really getting questions wrong on sequencing or I/O games on the substance anymore, just due to time pressure. The only games where I frequently make a diagramming mistake or whiff an inference are the harder grouping games and grouping w/ a chart. My latest hangup is using the chart too often. RC is really strong, but I HAVE to warm up or I'll read at a glacial pace if it's the first section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:

Wbu?
Parallel questions really do eat so much time.. I never get them wrong, but I think it does relate to some easy mistakes I make later in the section.
Yeah they definitely hurt me in that I have less time left over to review some of the questions that I wasn't sure on, which may or may not affect my ultimate score

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Beginning to realise that by the time I take the test I will have done all the LGs from at least 58/80 of the PTs and just about every notable game (in terms of difficultly or peculiarity). Hopefully this makes it such that my probability of being surprised on the LG section on test day is quite low.

Wait, ur going to do 8 hours of lg until exam day? Seems excessive/what about rc and lr?

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:

How are you approaching LG? I know you made copies of all your games etc.. But, what is your method of attack? Are you drilling like the 7Sage foolproof method through the packets or what?
I first read/drilled through Manhattan LG twice around when I created this account. So that was my LG foundation.

Right now I'm drilling through each set of games from the Cambridge packets multiple times, mostly un-timed. Any time I fail to set up a game correctly or have no idea how to approach a question, I will watch the game on 7Sage or review Manhattan LG for that game type. After I have finished each game type 2-3 times, I will do one final run through timed and fool proof (with 5 copies) any game where I take too long or miss a question.

I anticipate I'll need to print off around 15~ games out of the 148 games from the Cambridge packets for fool proofing.

But yeah, it's essentially the fool proof strategy since if I fool proofed since the beginning I would have had to reprint most games anyway.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:

Wait, ur going to do 8 hours of lg until exam day? Seems excessive/what about rc and lr?
Just for today and tomorrow. If I did 8 hours of LG everyday until the LSAT I'd probably become an alcoholic and pick up a couple drug addictions.

The LG-heavy portion of my preparation actually ends in 5ish days

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Gluteus wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

Just for today and tomorrow. If I did 8 hours of LG everyday until the LSAT I'd probably become an alcoholic and pick up a couple drug addictions.

Yo I'm concerned you're going to burn out bud - are you taking breaks here and there?

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Gluteus wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

Oh ok, good, I was worried for a second...

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Anyone completely perplexed by the mapping games? Seems like a really low chance of them showing up but i didn't do well on the one in the Bible and was wondering if I should just move on.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm

What are the best bets for LR improvement this late in the game?

PT70

LR1: -6 (BR -6)
RC: -3 (BR -3)
LG: -1 (No BR)
LR2: -7 (BR -7)

It seems like I just had a shit day for LR, given I've been hanging out around -2/-3 pretty consistently while drilling. I've only really used the Trainer for my LR, and that doesn't seem to be enough. Thoughts on the LR Bible and speeding through it? If I had stayed consistent I could have hit 171 again

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 pm

abujabal wrote:What are the best bets for LR improvement this late in the game?

PT70

It seems like I just had a shit day for LR, given I've been hanging out around -2/-3 pretty consistently while drilling. I've only really used the Trainer for my LR, and that doesn't seem to be enough. Thoughts on the LR Bible and speeding through it? If I had stayed consistent I could have hit 171 again
Are there certain question types that you tend to get wrong? If you're averaging -2/-3 then you can just drill the questions that give you trouble. Maybe it was just an off day

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Gluteus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

I first read/drilled through Manhattan LG twice around when I created this account. So that was my LG foundation.

Right now I'm drilling through each set of games from the Cambridge packets multiple times, mostly un-timed. Any time I fail to set up a game correctly or have no idea how to approach a question, I will watch the game on 7Sage or review Manhattan LG for that game type. After I have finished each game type 2-3 times, I will do one final run through timed and fool proof (with 5 copies) any game where I take too long or miss a question.

I anticipate I'll need to print off around 15~ games out of the 148 games from the Cambridge packets for fool proofing.

But yeah, it's essentially the fool proof strategy since if I fool proofed since the beginning I would have had to reprint most games anyway.
Okay, gotcha. This is pretty much what I am doing. Going through the Cambridge packets and if I Crush a game 100% confident, Ill move on otherwise Ill do fool proof for it.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm

PT70

This actually happened to me today too. Typically around -2/-3 but today went -9 lmao...and they were all easy/dumb mistakes in the beg to middle of the section. Im getting over a cold so I think it was that. Reviewed it and it was just frustrating, but going to review these again, make sure there werent any true faulty mistakes and keep moving forward.

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 pm

PT70

I'd go through the lr bible and drilling by question type (hard drill the ones that you're struggling on).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:
abujabal wrote:
All good suggestions - just picked up the LR Bible and it should come in on Saturday. Beyond that - I booked a session with Matt Boute per a Spivey blog post suggestion, but anyone have any experience with him? Just want to know what to expect tomorrow AM

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am

PT70

I'm using Manhattan and it is great.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I only got 30 games done yesterday unfortunately.

Finishing up hybrid games today, then I just have to work on misc games before I'm ready to go through the entire Cambridge LG again one last time to find games for fool proofing.

I was surprised at how effortlessly I went through the undetermined assignment games yesterday. In an attempt to determine if I was genuinely improving on LG or just getting really good at re-doing games, I looked at a few newer LGs just to see if I knew how to diagram the game just by taking a quick glance at it. Not only did I know how to set up all the games I glanced at, I could also think of very similar games that I had done from the Cambridge packets for most of them.

I decided to do one of the newer undetermined assignment games and I was able to work through it quickly and accurately. Although it probably took longer than recommended because I didn't have the game printed and was reading the game from my monitor and diagramming and crossing out questions on a piece of paper which is apparently extremely awkward and time consuming.

I doubt when I begin drilling LG sections that I'll consistently miss any of the questions on the first 2 games. The majority of my performance in a given LG section is likely going to be based on my performance on the hardest game.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”