After Diagnostic Advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kjn97

New

After Diagnostic Advice

Post by kjn97 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:40 am

I took a completely cold diagnostic and scored a 140. I do think it was slightly lower than it could have been since I had taken it at 6 pm after a full day of school and work. Although, I am feeling completely shattered it was so low and like my goal is not achievable (even though I know I can do it)! I am already scheduled to take the June LSAT and need to score above 165+. I understand this may be unattainable, but I am hesitant to just delay to October without taking in June. Although not ideal, i am not opposed to taking it again in October if it means 5 point increase or so.

After reviewing the score, my #1 problem was in logic games closely followed by logical reasoning.

Currently, I am enrolled in Testmasters, since I have heard they are the best. I am also using the powerscore books to supplement my studying. I have started to study every day for 4 hours per day (usually 2-3 hours of actual concentration). Starting next week or the following, I plan to take 2 PT each week until about the second week of May, where I will start to take every other day and use the off days to do blind review. (I calculated and scheduled each one, and it is around 30-35). Also, I am reading the economist daily to help reading build up a little.

I figure with this rigorous study schedule I can attain a 165, hopefully... I have already noticed huge improvements in LG, and am consistently scoring 0/-1 on my drills. Logical Reasoning is slowly progressing, but on drills of 10, I miss anywhere from 0/-4. Reading Comp. I am missing -2/-3 on each passage.

I am wondering what your guy's thoughts are on my study schedule? Any advice? I know many say 25 point jump increase is unrealistic, but I went in completely blind (no studying whatsoever) and ending up giving half of what I could give during it.

freekick

Bronze

Re: After Diagnostic Advice

Post by freekick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 am

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:11 pm

I'd wait until October. June is right around the corner and you don't want a low test score on record, ya know.

But there's no reason to think that 165 is unattainable. A cold diagnostic means very little, you don't know the types of questions and methods used and its unlike any test you've taken up to this point. If you really put in time from now until October I think a 165 is easy.

My diagnostic wasn't completely cold, I kinda knew what the questions looked like, and I scored a 151. Now I'm finishing some sections -0, shooting for a 175. Don't let that diagnostic get you down if this is what you really want to do.

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:24 pm

A 25 point increase is definitely not unattainable, but you need to be realistic. You say that you don't want to wait until October if it just means a 5 point increase, but keep in mind that 5 points can make a huge difference. On the December 2016 test, a 150 would put you in the 49th percentile, a 155 would put you in the 67th percentile, a 160 would put you at the 83rd percentile and a 165 would put you at the 93rd percentile. So every 5 point increase in that range of scores could bump you up 10-18 percentile points, which is a pretty big difference in terms of how you look relative to other applicants.

I think you have to really consider your priorities. If you are so sick of studying already and you just want it to be done, then try your hardest to get ready for June and hope for the best. But if you really want that 165, then you should take as long as you need to get that score. There is nothing wrong with waiting until October, and if you don't think you'll be ready by June, then in my opinion you should wait. Also though, don't make this decision just yet. You can cancel your registration up to the night before the test, so I would study as though you were definitely trying to take the June exam. Then, if you decide you aren't ready, you can cancel and be that much more ahead of the game when you prep for October.

But in either case, keep it up! You can absolutely accomplish a 25 point increase. I teach for Blueprint and I see students make this kind of jump all the time.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:30 pm

I would postpone to September.
Imo, your diagnostic says little about your potential. There's every reason to believe your target score is well within reach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 am

I would also suggest postponing until September. Your target score is certainly attainable, but it will take some time of consistent drilling to really build up the skills necessary to master the LSAT. If you aim for June, and plan on taking PT's weekly, you run the risk of messing up your priorities. You should focus, above all, on accuracy first. Drill until you go no more than -2 on each section untimed. Then start adding the timed component, until you start going no more than -2 timed. Then start worrying about consistency and stamina. If you start PTing at a breakneck speed, then you'll likely not be getting as much out of those tests as you would if you just took your time and drilled first. PT's are not where you want to figure out the test. PT's are for implementing test-taking strategies, controlling your timing and building your stamina. You seem to have the right idea and you're aware of what needs to be done; take the time to do it right. You'll thank yourself when you get a 170. Don't worry about your diagnostic, a 165 is certainly attainable if you're smart about it.

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am

Don't focus so much on the number of PT you take. The goal should be learning from each PT. If you grasp more from taking 10 than taking 20 then so be it. Every other day probably isn't enough time for a thorough BR. This is where the learning comes from, not the amount of PT you take. After you BR you should have an idea of your weaknesses. You should return to whatever study materials you're using for reinforcement and further clarification. Next you can drill your weaknesses and then you can move on to the next PT and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes in the prior PT. If you continue to make the same mistakes without addressing them you're burining PT and wasting your time because a new PT isn't necessarily going to help you achieve your desired score. I think the 165 is attainable. Just don't think that xxx amount of PT will get you to your desired score. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”