LSAT Preparation -- Freshman Undergrad Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hmswarspite

New

LSAT Preparation -- Freshman Undergrad Question

Post by hmswarspite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi there everyone,

I was wondering if it's worthwhile to began prepping for the LSAT the summer of my freshman year?
I understand there's concerns in regards to "burning out" when studying for the LSAT so early, but if I can handle the workload, should I?

Also, what are the opinions on books vs classes debate? Should I take a prep class first then head towards the books?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: LSAT Preparation -- Freshman Undergrad Question

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:04 pm

1. Don't, because if you don't burn out, you'll run out of material.
2. Classes cost a lot and are not necessary or necessarily helpful. Def start with books, and invest in a class if you really think it'll be worthwhile.
3. I'd advise against taking the LSAT too early. Wait until senior year at the earliest, or, better yet, later, when you've had the life experience to know you definitely want law school. The 4/5 year expiration thing is also somewhat limiting. (Speaking as someone who took it at the beginning of Junior year).

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Forget about the LSAT for right now. Get your GPA high and have fun in college. Worry about your LSAT until way later on.

l3g@l33s3

New

Post by l3g@l33s3 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 pm

I took the LSAT summer of my Softmore year. There is an advantage of doing it when you are motivated and excited, however you run the risk of changing your mind about your career and wasting time and money on the LSAT. I would suggest spending at least the next year learning more about the legal field, maybe getting a job at a firm. Also enjoy being a college freshmen. You have plenty of time!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Mikey wrote:Forget about the LSAT for right now. Get your GPA high and have fun in college. Worry about your LSAT until way later on.
THE OUTSIDE IS SCARY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 pm

It's great that you're thinking ahead, I remember stalking this forum my freshman year, and now I'm 2 years out of undergrad and working full-time.

However, freshman year is absolutely, 100% too early to start worrying about the LSAT. Focus all your energy into getting the highest GPA possible. Settle for nothing less than an A on every paper, quiz, test or essay, and then come back in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA. You will thank yourself, seriously. Even if you decide law school is not for you, getting a 4.0 in college will help you land a job, even if you study philosophy or literature (1st hand experience with this one). Knowing that law school is largely a numbers games, and that your GPA and LSAT will factor into like 90-95% of you admission decision gives you a decisive advantage over all the other students your age who are messing around getting B's.

But, right now is not the time to worry about the LSAT. Enjoy your college summers, make friends, study hard, actually learn something in college, and at least TRY to get a job after school instead of banking on law school. I say this all as someone who was like you, stalking this forum my freshman year worrying about the LSAT, convinced I'd be attending like Harvard or something by now.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Don't worry about the LSAT and for the love of god, please take UG seriously. One of my biggest regrets in life is just skating by in college with a nihilistic "none of this matters anyway" attitude.

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Agreed. No reason to stress just yet. It's a much better idea to just work on getting a good GPA. If you want to sort of prep for studying later on, it would be a great idea to take a logic class or two or at least some philosophy classes if you can fit them into your class schedule so that you'll have some logical reasoning background before you start really studying for the test.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

By the time it's relevant you might not even need an LSAT. The GRE may be an option. So don't worry about it now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”