Those who study for the LSAT full time.. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DKM

New

Those who study for the LSAT full time..

Post by DKM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 pm

What do you anticipate putting on your resume during the gap in employment? I have a pretty crappy job at the moment and would have no qualms about leaving to study full time other than the fact that I'm worried about a gap in my employment history. Theres also the fact that I will most likely be looking for a new job after I get my LSAT score, but before law school would start (looking to enroll fall of 2018). Can anybody speak on this? Any tips?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: Those who study for the LSAT full time..

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm curious about this too, since I already have a pretty big gap on my resume. Wondering exactly how important that is to schools.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Volunteer or get a part-time job/internship. Also, how long do you think you'll need to take off? a couple of months to study for the LSAT is probably not a big deal

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 pm

DKM wrote:What do you anticipate putting on your resume during the gap in employment? I have a pretty crappy job at the moment and would have no qualms about leaving to study full time other than the fact that I'm worried about a gap in my employment history. Theres also the fact that I will most likely be looking for a new job after I get my LSAT score, but before law school would start (looking to enroll fall of 2018). Can anybody speak on this? Any tips?
MediocreAtBest wrote:I'm curious about this too, since I already have a pretty big gap on my resume. Wondering exactly how important that is to schools.
I took a few months off from work to study full time and didn't make any special note of it on my resume. It's visible that I ended one job in one month, and started a new job (after my studying) a few months later, so it would be clear to anybody who looked that I have a gap there. A few school applications (Berkeley and another school which I'm blanking on) required you to list in a special section on the application why there was a gap in employment, so there was no need to supplement that information anywhere else. But for the other schools, I didn't say anything unless asked about it in an interview (which did happen in one of my five interviews).

FWIW, I've been accepted to 12 of the 16 schools I applied to (most of which are t13 schools) with borderline stats and haven't been dinged by any yet, so my experience leads me to believe that it doesn't matter too much.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:35 pm

DKM wrote:What do you anticipate putting on your resume during the gap in employment? I have a pretty crappy job at the moment and would have no qualms about leaving to study full time other than the fact that I'm worried about a gap in my employment history. Theres also the fact that I will most likely be looking for a new job after I get my LSAT score, but before law school would start (looking to enroll fall of 2018). Can anybody speak on this? Any tips?
I highly recommend working part-time, which is what I am doing now (while studying for the LSAT). You can avoid having a gap in your resume, and you will have more than enough time to study.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cam1992

New

Post by cam1992 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:55 pm

I dealt with (am dealing with?) a similar situation where I left a job for a much less intense (all though not part time) position after I submitted all of my applications. I have been asked about this in two interviews and have written about it in a LOCI for a WL situation. At least in the interviews they seemed very understanding and one interviewer even commented on how upfront I was being about my employment situation. It seemed like she really appreciated the honesty. So I guess the best advice I could give is to be upfront and honest!

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

I didn't put anything. I studied full time for September '16 from March-September while not working. Started a new job in December.

When it did come up during my interview for my current job I told them I took time off, traveled, etc. (Which I actually did do about 2 weeks in that entire span I studied.)

But, I didn't leave a crappy job to study full time (IT Engineering) and currently in a not so crappy job (IT Infrastructure Design) so YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”