Experimental Section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CottonHarvest

Bronze

Experimental Section

Post by CottonHarvest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 am

When I do an experimental section on a five section PT should I be using a an unseen section or a section that I have done before? I don't want to break up fresh PTs for experimental sections when I could use them for full tests but didn't know if that's the better approach?

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Experimental Section

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am

Unseen. Use an earlier section you haven't seen if you don't want to waste a more recent one.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

Unseen, definitely.

What I did was that I just set aside 1 brand new untouched PT for every 4 PTs I took, and used it solely for experimentals. So for example:

PT 45 (Didn't take. I took out the 4 sections and inserted one in each of the following 4 PTS).
PT 46 (+ Section 1 of PT 45)
PT 47 (+ Section 2 of PT 45)
PT 48 (+ Section 3 of PT 45)
PT 49 (+ Section 4 of PT 45)
PT 50 (Didn't take. Take out the sections for experimental use)

etc.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Unseen, definitely.

What I did was that I just set aside 1 brand new untouched PT for every 4 PTs I took, and used it solely for experimentals. So for example:

PT 45 (Didn't take. I took out the 4 sections and inserted one in each of the following 4 PTS).

etc.
This is what I did. You're not really wasting a test, you're just dividing it up. Every four tests you take will really be 5.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 pm

poptart123 wrote:

etc.
This is what I did. You're not really wasting a test, you're just dividing it up. Every four tests you take will really be 5.
Agreed, I actually even went ahead and graded the experimentals in the end for shits and giggles (bad idea)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

etc.
Agreed, I actually even went ahead and graded the experimentals in the end for shits and giggles (bad idea)
It's a very good idea to grade the experimentals, imo. It makes it feel more like a real section and gives you incentive to do well on them.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm

If you break up a fresh test can you really say "I got a 1XX on PT XX?"

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am

CottonHarvest wrote:If you break up a fresh test can you really say "I got a 1XX on PT XX?"
I wouldn't go that far, personally. But you CAN score it as another timed section. When you score a full PT you end up saying LR-2, LG-4, RC-5 as your outcome.. Just add ExpLG-4 on the end of that and it's another section to track your progress. If you were going the 7sage analytic route to keep track of your progress you could still track the entire PT once you finish each set of 4 tests as long as you remember every 0 and 5 numbered PT was experimental. Your results of these wouldn't be indicative of a real PT though imo.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 am

definitely review and score your experimental section. it's extra practice and you can see what you could improve on or don't need to, so why wouldn't you? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:35 am

How many PTs should be done with more than four sections? Is it okay if only like my last 12 PTs have an experimental or should they all have one?

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:How many PTs should be done with more than four sections? Is it okay if only like my last 12 PTs have an experimental or should they all have one?
They don't all need to have an experimental section thrown in but definitely some of them should. It won't make a huge difference, but that extra 35 minutes of thinking does affect your overall endurance. When I was studying, I would switch between 4 section and 5 section tests as well as just throwing in a couple of days where I only did one or two timed sections for the last weeks leading up to the test. That way you aren't totally burning out, but you're still getting practice with timing and endurance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”