Old LSAT diagnostic to be trusted? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Moose29

New

Old LSAT diagnostic to be trusted?

Post by Moose29 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi all,

My first post here so hello.

I've dabbled with the LSAT before and taken a few sections, gotten about halfway through, and walked off into the sunset, so nothing serious. I did purchase the RC bible and the LG bible, but haven't cracked them open yet.

I finally decided today to sit down and do a cold diagnostic to see how I fair. I took the February 1993 test, and it's safe to say I was very surprised in how I did. Firstly, I don't consider myself a very good test taker, I did okay on the SATs, but wasn't able to crack the 90th percentile, although I didn't study too much.

For this LSAT diagnostic, I sat down, timed everything and I just completed 3 sections, two LRs and one RC. I did them in a row and didn't take any breaks, but I wanted to see how I faired before starting the LG section, which I know I'll bomb because I don't even know where to start with most of those questions.

I finished all 3 sections on time and even had 2 minutes to spare on RC and 5 minutes to spare on one of the LRs. I finished -2, -2, -3. I added up those scores and found out, even if I got every single logic games question wrong, that would still work out to a 159 diagnostic score, and if I was able to manage to get 5 or 6 correct in logic games out all questions, I would be at a 162 or 163 diagnostic. And while the lord would need to be with me, if I got 15 out of the 24 questions on the logic games right I would be up at my target score, a 169.

Form what I've heard, a diagnostic in the low 160s usually bodes well for people trying to score in the upper 160s or 170s (which is the eventual goal for me).

So, can this diagnostic from February of 1993 be trusted? Was it just that the test was much easier back then? I suppose I'm a little surprised it seems so attainable to go from where I am now to the upper 160s and 170s.

Also, with how this diagnostic went, what do you all suggest to do when I start studying? Which will probably be at the beginning of this summer. Any reccomendations or advice would help.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Re: Old LSAT diagnostic to be trusted?

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Take a timed, 5-section practice test.

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Old LSAT diagnostic to be trusted?

Post by Alexandros » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I mean, yes, that bodes well, but, imho, diagnostics are fairly meaningless. If you want 170+, you're going to have to study like crazy for a long-time to get to that point regardless.
But, yes, there's no reason to think you wouldn't be able to get a 175+.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”