*deleted* Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

*deleted*

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 am

*deleted*
Last edited by lawschoolgirl312 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: stuck at 168, been studying for -8 months off/on

Post by 20170322 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:06 am

Last edited by 20170322 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 am

I would determine if there are specific LR question types that I'm consistently getting wrong or spending too much time on and focus on those. Once you figure out the question type then you need to figure out what about that question type is not clicking. Break each question apart and write your explanations for everything including why you chose your answer choice and why you didn't choose the other four. Then go to the explanations for that question and analyze your commentary. Rinse and repeat and drill, drill, drill.

dianersg

New

Post by dianersg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:25 am

To improve on LR, I would focus on one "type" each day, re-reading the LR bible chapter on that type and then drilling questions of that type (~100+ for the more common types or ~30-50 for less common). I would then blind review those questions and later mark the ones I got wrong to go back and review throughout my studying. I saw huge increases in LR after doing this.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 am

7sage has a good analytic tool where you enter your scores for all your PT's and then they break it down by question type.. it's a super easy way to track where your trouble areas are. If you have all of your old PT's saved, I would go through and upload your scores. https://7sage.com/score-lsat-test/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 am

As everyone is saying, just got hard on LR. My 167 -> 173 improvement came with only improving 0 or 1 answers in LG/RC combined. Basically stop studying LG/RC for a little. Although there is still some improvement to be made in RC if you can, (i) I think that is the hardest section to study for, and (ii) not as much room for improvement as LR. I like what dianersg said: the bibles breakdown of types is simple, and right now you are still getting close to 1 in 5 answers wrong in those sections, which means simple is what you need! There are literally about 4,000 logical reasoning questions LSAC has released and you should make sure you've gone through all of them and very clearly explained to yourself in writing why the answers you didn't pick were correct and why the wrong answers were wrong. You could do the same with every answer you are unsure about if you have time too.

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 pm

In addition to what everyone else has been saying, it's also good to see if there are specific parts of the section that you tend to miss. For example, if most of your missed LR questions are in numbers 19-23ish, then you're missing the hardest questions and most likely falling for a sucker choice. If that's the case, those questions always warrant a second read through. Once you've settled on a right answer, reread it extra carefully to make sure there isn't a single word that you could argue with to make the choice wrong. If there is, then it's worth it to think about a different direction that the correct answer could go in and see if there is a choice that matches that route instead. Often on harder LR questions, the tempter choice will be what sounds like the most obvious right answer with just one or two words changed that makes it wrong. The right answer on such questions will often be a less obvious route to take, but one that is worded correctly and still answers the question. On the other hand, if you're missing a lot of earlier questions in LR, you may just be overthinking them and should trust your gut a little more.

The point is, often the key to improving in those final points is just understanding what types of mistakes you personally are likely to make. Obviously you get the basic concepts of the test so now you just have to figure out when you need to be more careful/thorough and when you need to trust your instincts more.

180pedia

New

Post by 180pedia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:46 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:HELPPPPP..

I am stuck at 168-170 and I have been studying for 6-8 months off and on. My breakdown is -1/LG, -4-7/RC, and -7-10/LR..

I don't know what to do anymore. Trying to take the June LSAT for one last time
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is regarding timing on LR. When I was trapped in the mid 160s PTing largely due to LR, I took the advice of one of the BluePrint guys during some session. I want to say Brandon Frankel, but I'm not certain.

Anyways, he had mentioned how he found himself routinely trapped in the mid 160s largely due to LR despite having high untimed accuracy. Often, he (and myself) would find oneself spinning their wheels on some question in the 1-15 area, and this poor calculation would result in far too little time for the last five to six questions crushing the section score. I would see whether you are suffering from either not finishing or rushing on the last few and, as a result, missing a lot of questions because of it. If so, try a PT where you apply some rule for the first 15 questions. If you do not get it on the second or third read through, mark your best choice and come back if you have time. If you have relatively high untimed accuracy and spend four minutes on any logical reasoning question while either rushing or not finishing the remainder of the section, you lost regardless of whether you got the question right or wrong. The benefit of applying some restriction (number of times you read the question is better than a strict amount of time... more intuitive/easier) is you will leave yourself enough time to finish later questions, improve your confidence, and, to be totally honest, returning to a question with fresh eyes is so beneficial. After doing this, I definitely noticed times where some early question didn't just click (as you study, many questions will just be glaringly obvious) but it clicked instantly upon returning after finishing the entirety of the section.

Outside of that, everything else everyone said in this thread is 100% on point.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 pm

HYPSM wrote:Does anyone know where you can get LR questions categorized by type? I can't find them!
The old Cambridge packets were organized by type, but unfortunately are no longer available unless you want to spend $500+ for a set of used copies. Outside of this, I don't know of any commercially available resources. You may just have to take the time and sort through old PT's.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 pm

180pedia wrote:
lawschoolgirl312 wrote:HELPPPPP..

I am stuck at 168-170 and I have been studying for 6-8 months off and on. My breakdown is -1/LG, -4-7/RC, and -7-10/LR..

I don't know what to do anymore. Trying to take the June LSAT for one last time
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is regarding timing on LR. When I was trapped in the mid 160s PTing largely due to LR, I took the advice of one of the BluePrint guys during some session. I want to say Brandon Frankel, but I'm not certain.

Anyways, he had mentioned how he found himself routinely trapped in the mid 160s largely due to LR despite having high untimed accuracy. Often, he (and myself) would find oneself spinning their wheels on some question in the 1-15 area, and this poor calculation would result in far too little time for the last five to six questions crushing the section score. I would see whether you are suffering from either not finishing or rushing on the last few and, as a result, missing a lot of questions because of it. If so, try a PT where you apply some rule for the first 15 questions. If you do not get it on the second or third read through, mark your best choice and come back if you have time. If you have relatively high untimed accuracy and spend four minutes on any logical reasoning question while either rushing or not finishing the remainder of the section, you lost regardless of whether you got the question right or wrong. The benefit of applying some restriction (number of times you read the question is better than a strict amount of time... more intuitive/easier) is you will leave yourself enough time to finish later questions, improve your confidence, and, to be totally honest, returning to a question with fresh eyes is so beneficial. After doing this, I definitely noticed times where some early question didn't just click (as you study, many questions will just be glaringly obvious) but it clicked instantly upon returning after finishing the entirety of the section.

Outside of that, everything else everyone said in this thread is 100% on point.
^^ Ditto. Dave Hall of Velocity LSAT says the two worst things you you can do are:
1) Spend 4 minutes on a question and get it wrong
2) Spend 4 minutes on a question and get it right

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”