Harvard Announcement Affecting Studying Plans Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Neil_Gorsuch

New

Harvard Announcement Affecting Studying Plans

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi everyone, I was beginning to study up for the June exam - I have a 3.95, 167, and good softs - when I read Harvard's announcement earlier today. How should this affect my study plans? Primarily, I'm worried that the T 14 will announce they will also adopt this policy in the coming weeks / months.

If I think that I can get higher on GRE more easily, should I take that, etc?

I think a lot of people are wondering this right now.

banjo

Silver

Re: Harvard Announcement Affecting Studying Plans

Post by banjo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 pm

You can take both. The GRE only requires about a week of prep to memorize vocabulary and brush up on high school math.

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Is 167 your PT average or your score from a previous test? If the latter, it would make sense that it would be reported through your LSAC report, and that it would subsequently affect their median. I don't think studying for the GRE instead would have any gain.
Last edited by LSRAT on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Also, not taking the LSAT just because at this time only Harvard and the University of Arizona accept the GRE seems like risky business unless you'll only go to one of those two schools.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Also, it's doubtful LSAC is going to send your app without your current LSAT score since it gets reported and all.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:45 pm

just focus on the LSAT and worry about the GRE later. schools aren't going to adopt the Harvard policy en masse. I doubt any other T14s will.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 pm

proteinshake wrote:just focus on the LSAT and worry about the GRE later. schools aren't going to adopt the Harvard policy en masse. I doubt any other T14s will.
Agreed. Harvard is just desperate to fill their million person class. They hope they can do this, and also get some high GPAs without having to report their LSATs. I would only take the GRE as a last resort if you bombed the LSAT, but I don't see the other T13 schools doing something like this.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:12 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
proteinshake wrote:just focus on the LSAT and worry about the GRE later. schools aren't going to adopt the Harvard policy en masse. I doubt any other T14s will.
Agreed. Harvard is just desperate to fill their million person class. They hope they can do this, and also get some high GPAs without having to report their LSATs. I would only take the GRE as a last resort if you bombed the LSAT, but I don't see the other T13 schools doing something like this.
That sounds right. Yeah, I have a top LSAT of 167 and had been PTing around 173 close to exam day so hoping to get a few points in June. I was thinking a little irrationally about all this.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 pm

If you have an LSAT, that will get reported. Your 167 will count, so Harvard will consider it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Only take the GRE if you have not taken the LSAT. If you have an LSAT, Harvard will consider it. You don't have an option to not report your LSAT score.

JBird

New

Post by JBird » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 pm

I was sent this blog link today, which has some pretty good insight on the whole deal...

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/harvard ... ng-in-2017

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”