How early is too early to study for the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
svanderwoodsen

New

How early is too early to study for the LSAT?

Post by svanderwoodsen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm taking the LSAT this December (won't be eligible to re-take until then, so I can't do it in June/Sep) and would like to start planning out a study-schedule. Because I quit my previous job and switched to something part-time, I have more than enough time to study between now and December. I'm just wondering when I should actually start studying. I understand all of the concepts and how to approach each question type/game, so I'm just looking to review, practice and really sharpen my skills until December. Would June be too early to begin, or should I start later? I'd hate to run out of practice material in September/October, so I'm not sure how to approach this. Any advice (especially from re-takers) would be super helpful! :D

dm1683

Silver

Re: How early is too early to study for the LSAT?

Post by dm1683 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 pm

svanderwoodsen wrote:I'm taking the LSAT this December (won't be eligible to re-take until then, so I can't do it in June/Sep) and would like to start planning out a study-schedule. Because I quit my previous job and switched to something part-time, I have more than enough time to study between now and December. I'm just wondering when I should actually start studying. I understand all of the concepts and how to approach each question type/game, so I'm just looking to review, practice and really sharpen my skills until December. Would June be too early to begin, or should I start later? I'd hate to run out of practice material in September/October, so I'm not sure how to approach this. Any advice (especially from re-takers) would be super helpful! :D
I knew a person (who probably had some sort of obsessive disorder, tbh) who started studying in freshman year of UG. Not, like, looking at a prep book in Barnes and Noble, I mean legit studying. THAT's too early.

Nothing you're describing is "too early" or "too late."

ptittle

New

Post by ptittle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd say it depends on your starting point. When you do a complete five-section test now, how far off the mark are you for accuracy? And how far off the mark are you for timing?

Some of my tutees have burned out, working at the LSAT for too long -- 'too long' typically meaning more than six months. And some of my tutees have run out of time -- needing more than the 2-3 months they gave themselves.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Just study intensively for 3-4 months and you should be fine!

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 pm

ptittle wrote:I'd say it depends on your starting point. When you do a complete five-section test now, how far off the mark are you for accuracy? And how far off the mark are you for timing?

Some of my tutees have burned out, working at the LSAT for too long -- 'too long' typically meaning more than six months. And some of my tutees have run out of time -- needing more than the 2-3 months they gave themselves.
Timing is not an issue for me at all. I'm just working to improve accuracy - especially in LG and RC. Basically, I'm just looking to drill and take practice exams until December since I have a thorough understanding of the concepts and question types. I'd hate to burn myself out, and use up all of my LSAT materials by, say, August or September.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 pm

dm1683 wrote:
svanderwoodsen wrote:I'm taking the LSAT this December (won't be eligible to re-take until then, so I can't do it in June/Sep) and would like to start planning out a study-schedule. Because I quit my previous job and switched to something part-time, I have more than enough time to study between now and December. I'm just wondering when I should actually start studying. I understand all of the concepts and how to approach each question type/game, so I'm just looking to review, practice and really sharpen my skills until December. Would June be too early to begin, or should I start later? I'd hate to run out of practice material in September/October, so I'm not sure how to approach this. Any advice (especially from re-takers) would be super helpful! :D
I knew a person (who probably had some sort of obsessive disorder, tbh) who started studying in freshman year of UG. Not, like, looking at a prep book in Barnes and Noble, I mean legit studying. THAT's too early.

Nothing you're describing is "too early" or "too late."
Okay, that's crazy. I just want to make sure that I don't burn myself out and use all of my materials by August or September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”