Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Monday

Silver

Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Post by Monday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Monday wrote:in partnership with LSAC to "level the playing field."

Salman Khan Is Bringing Free LSAT Prep to the Masses
Khan Academy
Salman Khan is a great teacher and an all around nice guy from what I'be heard. Saved me many a tear in Algebra II. Glad to hear this.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cooley at Sticker

New

Post by Cooley at Sticker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Monday wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Khan Academy
Salman Khan is a great teacher and an all around nice guy from what I'be heard. Saved me many a tear in Algebra II. Glad to hear this.
I've never used Khan Academy so I don't know how good it is although I've heard great things. I'm just happy that LSAC is getting involved with full recognition that LSAT isn't on level playing field. There's a reason (good reason too) YLS asks if any commercial LSAT prep and other admissions consulting were used.
Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Cooley at Sticker wrote:
Monday wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Khan Academy
I've never used Khan Academy so I don't know how good it is although I've heard great things. I'm just happy that LSAC is getting involved with full recognition that LSAT isn't on level playing field. There's a reason (good reason too) YLS asks if any commercial LSAT prep and other admissions consulting were used.
Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?
Do you really need that spelled out for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Cooley at Sticker wrote: Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?

Rich kids who can shell out thousands of dollars for prep courses, and study full time instead of working/taking care of children, etc. have an obvious advantage.

Rich kids can also sit out a year and follow the 'retake' mantra. This is much harder for poor folks.

180pedia

New

Post by 180pedia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 pm

No matter what, it's not going to resolve the disparity when it comes to the larger financial and time constraints. Sure, it may save money over a 7Sage, Blueprint, or Testmasters course, but it won't do much to address the core issues as to why the test isn't necessarily fair regarding economic circumstances. Then again, no test (nor school for that matter) is fair under these criteria other than maybe the STEP exams (it is my understanding that virtually no one has a side gig during med school), and the only way around this would be for LSs to reduce the weight placed on the LSAT.

It'll be interesting to see how Khan Academy approaches it. IMO, the usefulness will largely depend on how much of the LSAT content LSAC allows Khan Academy to use. If it's only one or two or three practice materials worth of stuff, I don't really see how it will help all that much, as the core of LSAT material is fairly small.

They have a good platform, and I'm interested to see how its leveraged.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 am

If LSAC really wants to level the playing field, they should make PDFs of past PTs available online for free.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 am

Khan knocked the rust of my Calculus before my MS. Will be a loyal donor as long as they are still doing stuff like this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

180pedia

New

Post by 180pedia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 am

heythatslife wrote:If LSAC really wants to level the playing field, they should make PDFs of past PTs available online for free.
I tend to agree. I think that will be the biggest thing possibly holding Khan Academy back. Based on how the material seems to work, I imagine the test prep companies could substantially lower their costs to students. I'm not saying they necessarily would, but they certainly could as the licensing fees aren't cheap when you consider the amount of material many top scorers burn through.
laqueredup wrote:Khan knocked the rust of my Calculus before my MS. Will be a loyal donor as long as they are still doing stuff like this!
It is pretty nice! I've been redoing a lot of math/science refreshers on it. It's been nice to do it that way.

As a semi-self promo which I feel more okay about since it's a related idea, I'd great appreciate any thoughts on items I can add to my site (180pedia.com) to make it more useful from anyone so inclined on this website. Currently, it's more or less a well organized directory of explanations from five different providers. I'm currently working on some abstract recurring LG inferences (and two minor bugs).

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 am

180pedia wrote:[As a semi-self promo which I feel more okay about since it's a related idea, I'd great appreciate any thoughts on items I can add to my site (180pedia.com) to make it more useful from anyone so inclined on this website. Currently, it's more or less a well organized directory of explanations from five different providers. I'm currently working on some abstract recurring LG inferences (and two minor bugs).
I see where you're going with the LG inferences and that would be huge! Do you see any repetition for RC structure? I think there are repetitions with RC just like with LG. I don't think that there's necessarily a template used when writing the passages. I know that some have been taken from different publications but it seems like there has to be some repetition when it comes to the structure of passages. More than just stuff like MP or author's tone. A recent RC passage I read was PT 2, section 1, passage 3. The passage starts out talking about 3 responses but the passage really just discusses one. The first paragraph defines all three even though we don't really need the definitions of all three. I don't recall the questions but it would take no time to scan over the first paragraph if asked about the other two. In the beginning we don't know that we don't really need to be worried with these definitions. Are there patterns of this? Something like when xxx then we should xxx? Something along those lines. I could be wrong and I haven't taken the time to see so there's that. Just wondering. I could be totally out of my mind for thinking such. I guess there would be blogs or books or something on this if it were the case. Just wondering.

180pedia

New

Post by 180pedia » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 pm

deleted - figured best to switch to PM and keep this on topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”