The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Walliums

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by Walliums » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Platopus wrote:
Walliums wrote:Took PT 69 on Sunday. My best PT but it doesn't feel that good.

168 timed/173 BR

LR1 -3
LG -3
RC -5
LR2 -3

Am still not going through LG with easy - still trouble with timing. Anyone doing an intensive on LG or have done one that they would want to share? Feel like I need to do tons of games but just at a loss of where to start (or if I should do tons of LG sections?).
If you're unhappy with a 168, then you have the right mindset. There's still plenty of time to improve :D For LG, do you usually try to solve for a couple of possibilities up front, like 7 sage tends to do? Spending a little more time on set up may help with timing if you can speed through the questions quicker, it helped me a little with timing. Still, drilling full sections seems like the solution to getting quicker.
Thank you! Not necessarily just unhappy with getting a 168 but it didn't feel like I really earned one - felt like I lucked my way into it a bit by having a pretty easy LG section that only had me skip 3 questions because of time.

I don't always solve for a couple possibilities upfront, depending on the question, though if it seem straightforward I will split into a few different gameboards. I've had the Powerscore LG book for a while but never opened it (I've used The Trainer and 7Sage up to this point). I started going through it and hopefully it will help with what you mentioned in terms of set up. I think it will help me get better with inferences as well!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Recently moved to a new city and I have nooooo idea where the good study spots are :?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Walliums wrote:
Thank you! Not necessarily just unhappy with getting a 168 but it didn't feel like I really earned one - felt like I lucked my way into it a bit by having a pretty easy LG section that only had me skip 3 questions because of time.

I don't always solve for a couple possibilities upfront, depending on the question, though if it seem straightforward I will split into a few different gameboards. I've had the Powerscore LG book for a while but never opened it (I've used The Trainer and 7Sage up to this point). I started going through it and hopefully it will help with what you mentioned in terms of set up. I think it will help me get better with inferences as well!
I doubt you "lucked" your way into a 168. You can get lucky and guess the right answer on certain questions, but you don't get "lucky" and get an easy section. That difficulty is usually accounted for in another section. So whether you like it or not, that 168 is rightfully yours.

Also, don't expect to gain much from the LGB, you're already at a pretty high level. Still, it's probably worth skimming.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Platopus wrote:
Walliums wrote:

I doubt you "lucked" your way into a 168. You can get lucky and guess the right answer on certain questions, but you don't get "lucky" and get an easy section. That difficulty is usually accounted for in another section. So whether you like it or not, that 168 is rightfully yours.

Also, don't expect to gain much from the LGB, you're already at a pretty high level. Still, it's probably worth skimming.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Totally get that about LGB. Am also planning, once I'm through with it, to start doing a ton of games over and over. My biggest challenge is with certain game types, making inferences up front. I am just slooooow in the section - if I had 45 minutes I'd do everything under time!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Walliums wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Totally get that about LGB. Am also planning, once I'm through with it, to start doing a ton of games over and over. My biggest challenge is with certain game types, making inferences up front. I am just slooooow in the section - if I had 45 minutes I'd do everything under time!
Drilling a lotta games will fix this

Your actually in a good place to be about now if you're -6 lr and -5 RC. The RC and lg can def improve with more work

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Drilling a lotta games will fix this

Your actually in a good place to be about now if you're -6 lr and -5 RC. The RC and lg can def improve with more work
Thanks! RC is normally better, I usually go -3/-2. I got tripped up by an art passage, which happens every now and then. I think I'm going to put together packets of four art passages and drill those as full sections once I am done with my LG intensive.

Lots of work for me to do though to make sure LG is consistently -0 and within time.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Recently moved to a new city and I have nooooo idea where the good study spots are :?
This might seem counterintuitive but I prefer the food court at the mall. If you can do a grouping/linear combo game in under 10 minutes there, doing it in peace and quiet, even with the stress of test day, shouldn't be that hard.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Walliums wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Walliums wrote:Took PT 69 on Sunday. My best PT but it doesn't feel that good.

168 timed/173 BR

LR1 -3
LG -3
RC -5
LR2 -3

Am still not going through LG with easy - still trouble with timing. Anyone doing an intensive on LG or have done one that they would want to share? Feel like I need to do tons of games but just at a loss of where to start (or if I should do tons of LG sections?).
If you're unhappy with a 168, then you have the right mindset. There's still plenty of time to improve :D For LG, do you usually try to solve for a couple of possibilities up front, like 7 sage tends to do? Spending a little more time on set up may help with timing if you can speed through the questions quicker, it helped me a little with timing. Still, drilling full sections seems like the solution to getting quicker.

My studying is pretty much exclusively LG focused (I started out well in LR and RC but went.-13 on my first LG section). Like you, I am great with accuracy and can go.-0 to-1 on every game if given enough time, but I am very slow.

I recommend getting the powerscore LG by type workbooks. There's one for PTs 1-20 (just finished it) and another for PTs 20-40 (just started). They organize all 80 LG games from each section of tests by game type so you can drill really easily.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Recently moved to a new city and I have nooooo idea where the good study spots are :?
This might seem counterintuitive but I prefer the food court at the mall. If you can do a grouping/linear combo game in under 10 minutes there, doing it in peace and quiet, even with the stress of test day, shouldn't be that hard.
I purposely go to study at the public library rather than in the quiet and comfort of my house. I want screaming kids running around causing hell. In fact, there is this elderly couple that usually sits in some chairs and reads the newspaper every evening, and I consider it a great blessing that neither of them can hear what the other is saying unless they are shouting.

In any case, I imagine the usual spots: libraries, coffee shops, book stores will be the safest bet for a quiet space with minimal, but still audible background noise. You don't want to be drilling in ideal conditions. Practice like you play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:03 pm

dm1683 wrote:
I recommend getting the powerscore LG by type workbooks. There's one for PTs 1-20 (just finished it) and another for PTs 20-40 (just started). They organize all 80 LG games from each section of tests by game type so you can drill really easily.
Seconded. I highly recommend the Powerscore LG books https://shop.powerscore.com/?action=pro ... 00O2WQWIA3

Very reasonably priced, and it takes the hassle out of sorting and categorizing everything. Powerscore also organizes games that defy typical categories into a super-hard miscellaneous type section which is really valuable for getting comfortable with weird games.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
I purposely go to study at the public library rather than in the quiet and comfort of my house. I want screaming kids running around causing hell. In fact, there is this elderly couple that usually sits in some chairs and reads the newspaper every evening, and I consider it a great blessing that neither of them can hear what the other is saying unless they are shouting.

In any case, I imagine the usual spots: libraries, coffee shops, book stores will be the safest bet for a quiet space with minimal, but still audible background noise. You don't want to be drilling in ideal conditions. Practice like you play.

Yeah I prefer places with a little bit going, can't focus when it's too quiet problem is there's no seating left. It's just boring studying at home lol

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Just an idea for some people struggling with RC. I have been seeing good results from re-doing passages similar to LG. Anything I don't go -0 on I print 3 copies and do them the next couple days. I have improved from -8 range to -4 in the last 2 weeks. I'm going to stick with it and hopefully continue to see results as passage structure becomes more familiar and easier to recognize.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:Just an idea for some people struggling with RC. I have been seeing good results from re-doing passages similar to LG. Anything I don't go -0 on I print 3 copies and do them the next couple days. I have improved from -8 range to -4 in the last 2 weeks. I'm going to stick with it and hopefully continue to see results as passage structure becomes more familiar and easier to recognize.
SOLID. If you can keep it up, that should have a very appreciable impact on your score. I've also found it very valuable to treat an RC passage like an LG game. I've been more comfortable skipping around on the questions, and that usually helps me decide on some of the tricky questions regarding tone and inferences questions. Sometimes you get a question that points you to a part of the passage the makes the author's viewpoint more obvious. Just like LG, RC necessitate continuity among answer choices.

Personally, I drill RC one passage at a time, really focusing to get through as quickly as possible while still devoting the required time to each question. Additionally, attacking each passage individually really helps you stay sharp. Without the time pressure of a full section, its a little easier to understand the test-takers approach to similar passage types, which is valuable for learning the ropes.

Keep it up!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 am

Just applied to a new job today which is much more legal focused than my current career - so that's encouraging. Obviously since I only just applied, I don't mean to jump the gun, but I'm genuinely curious: Has anyone balanced studying for the LSAT while career hunting, interviewing, starting at a new company? Normally, I would consider it pretty stupid to add that stress to the stress from studying, if one can help it, but this opportunity just popped up and it's at a peer company very, very close to where I work now, so it was hard to keep from at least throwing an app that way.

Side note: I'll be judging at an undergrad mock trial tournament this weekend, so I'll get absolutely 0 studying done, which is kind of stressing me out.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 am

dm1683 wrote:
My studying is pretty much exclusively LG focused (I started out well in LR and RC but went.-13 on my first LG section). Like you, I am great with accuracy and can go.-0 to-1 on every game if given enough time, but I am very slow.

Thanks, I will definitely look into this!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

Platopus wrote:Just applied to a new job today which is much more legal focused than my current career - so that's encouraging. Obviously since I only just applied, I don't mean to jump the gun, but I'm genuinely curious: Has anyone balanced studying for the LSAT while career hunting, interviewing, starting at a new company? Normally, I would consider it pretty stupid to add that stress to the stress from studying, if one can help it, but this opportunity just popped up and it's at a peer company very, very close to where I work now, so it was hard to keep from at least throwing an app that way.

Side note: I'll be judging at an undergrad mock trial tournament this weekend, so I'll get absolutely 0 studying done, which is kind of stressing me out.
Starting the first week was kind of rough since you are adjusting to a new environment and what not, gets easier after that. The little bit of studying while career hunting was more stressful because I was anxious about getting a job and the LSAT with plenty of other variables.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 am

Platopus wrote:Just applied to a new job today which is much more legal focused than my current career - so that's encouraging. Obviously since I only just applied, I don't mean to jump the gun, but I'm genuinely curious: Has anyone balanced studying for the LSAT while career hunting, interviewing, starting at a new company? Normally, I would consider it pretty stupid to add that stress to the stress from studying, if one can help it, but this opportunity just popped up and it's at a peer company very, very close to where I work now, so it was hard to keep from at least throwing an app that way.

Yes, I've done this. I've job searched and put in applications/interviewed while at my current job. For me it was difficult to keep studying while doing so. It's a bit of a triangle: keep doing current job, look for new job, and study for LSAT. I found that I could really only balance two and not three. Of course I have no idea what your current job entails work-wise and what other commitments you have outside work (or at home).

But I think an opportunity like the one you describe is well worth pursuing! Even if it ends up being that you need to take a short pause in studying to figure out how to juggle it all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

njames1961

New

Post by njames1961 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 am

dj9i27 wrote:

Starting the first week was kind of rough since you are adjusting to a new environment and what not, gets easier after that. The little bit of studying while career hunting was more stressful because I was anxious about getting a job and the LSAT with plenty of other variables.
In the same boat at Platopus, am currently interviewing at several companies, but trying to either push start dates to after June LSAT, or give some padding in front so it's not a last minute whirlwind.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 pm

which ORCS?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Hoping to start my new job soon but also trying to get some apps out for masters programs and starting to study. It's a lot to think about. It's weird because each day feels like I have a ton of time but then miraculously there is none

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Hoping to start my new job soon but also trying to get some apps out for masters programs and starting to study. It's a lot to think about. It's weird because each day feels like I have a ton of time but then miraculously there is none
So true- its wild and frustrating sometimes haha. Best of luck! What types of masters programs are you looking at?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

OG TAR

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Have a professor trying to talk me out of law school and convince me to get a PhD in history. She says it's a "shame" I'm going to law school bc of my "potential as a scholar," and that she can get my foot in thw door for Columbia's doctoral program because, of course, she "knows people" (she did her doctorate there).

Out of politeness, I told her I'd think about her proposal (IDK how much she really could make it happen; professors tend to overestimate their influence on these things). Given the dismal job prospects in academia, particularly in the humanities, I'm not really considering it though.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 pm

dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to
Is this a prof you're getting/or got a letter of rec from? If so, I'd be slightly iffy about having a LOR from her if she's trying to talk you out of law school.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to
Is this a prof you're getting/or got a letter of rec from? If so, I'd be slightly iffy about having a LOR from her if she's trying to talk you out of law school.
Funny you mention that because I asked her if she would she would be willing to write an LOR and she said "I will if you really want me to, but I don't think law school is right for you." so yeah, she's out lol. Really nice woman though.

Luckily, I have other professors to get LORs from.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”