The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm

zkyggi wrote:PT 54 today:

RC: -5
LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -4

RC was abnormally bad, I usually miss -2 or less. I am satisfied with my LG consistently being -0/-2, but LR is just not moving for me right now. It is super frustrating because when I review the answers are all clear to me save maybe 3 max. Since I started reviewing my tests more thoroughly I have been slowing down on LR, so I actually ran out of time on the last question for LR1. I am starting to wonder if postponing is a good idea, but I FEEL like I am learning this test, even though my scores are plateaued at the moment.

7Sage shows PT 54 as being relatively hard for LR and RC, does anybody know how accurate that is?
The most important thing right now is to keep learning, and you said you feel like you're learning it. For LR questions I get wrong I go to the manhattan forums to see the discussion about that particular question. Most of the time you can learn something new, it helps to see the thought process that other people go through and explanations from their "experts," I think this has lead to me understanding LR questions a little better. It's also my weak point, but I went -6 today on the two sections on pt53 so I'm not feeling that bad about it. Still have some time to perfect it.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 pm

PT 58 Today: -3 LR (combined), -0 LG, -3 RC. 95/101 raw; 175 scaled. Overall felt really good about this test, to the tune of 175 being a bit disappointing. However, testing conditions involved several yelling elderly people and a delirious man laughing maniacally at magazines, so I'll chalk it up as a win. Glad to finally see LG at -0 like it should be. RC was surprising as I missed all 3 questions from different passages. I had some time left, so I think there is still some room. LR was pretty consistent with where I usually am, so no major surprises. I frickin' needed this 175, I hit 168 on Saturday (-5 on LG does that to ya) and it hurt.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 pm

RC was abnormally bad, I usually miss -2 or less. I am satisfied with my LG consistently being -0/-2, but LR is just not moving for me right now. It is super frustrating because when I review the answers are all clear to me save maybe 3 max. Since I started reviewing my tests more thoroughly I have been slowing down on LR, so I actually ran out of time on the last question for LR1. I am starting to wonder if postponing is a good idea, but I FEEL like I am learning this test, even though my scores are plateaued at the moment.

7Sage shows PT 54 as being relatively hard for LR and RC, does anybody know how accurate that is?
I wouldn't worry too much about RC. I ran out of time on this test, and ended up scraping the test for experimental sections because I was so pissed. It killed my RC confidence for a bit, but I've been back around -2/-3 for subsequent tests, so I'm concluding that it was just a bit harder.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Platopus wrote:PT 58 Today: -3 LR (combined), -0 LG, -3 RC. 95/101 raw; 175 scaled. Overall felt really good about this test, to the tune of 175 being a bit disappointing. However, testing conditions involved several yelling elderly people and a delirious man laughing maniacally at magazines, so I'll chalk it up as a win. Glad to finally see LG at -0 like it should be. RC was surprising as I missed all 3 questions from different passages. I had some time left, so I think there is still some room. LR was pretty consistent with where I usually am, so no major surprises. I frickin' needed this 175, I hit 168 on Saturday (-5 on LG does that to ya) and it hurt.
Nice work!! You should be proud you got that 175 with all those crazy people around you.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Walliums wrote:
Platopus wrote:PT 58 Today: -3 LR (combined), -0 LG, -3 RC. 95/101 raw; 175 scaled. Overall felt really good about this test, to the tune of 175 being a bit disappointing. However, testing conditions involved several yelling elderly people and a delirious man laughing maniacally at magazines, so I'll chalk it up as a win. Glad to finally see LG at -0 like it should be. RC was surprising as I missed all 3 questions from different passages. I had some time left, so I think there is still some room. LR was pretty consistent with where I usually am, so no major surprises. I frickin' needed this 175, I hit 168 on Saturday (-5 on LG does that to ya) and it hurt.
Nice work!! You should be proud you got that 175 with all those crazy people around you.
Yeah, the distractions are pretty obnoxious, but I think they're good practice conditions. Test day is going to be sooooo quiet in comparison. No one answering cell phones or little kids running around screaming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:31 am

grandpapy360 wrote:Looks like Old Fashioned won
It was never even a question

DreamerBulk

New

Post by DreamerBulk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Time to kick it into high gear these next couple of weeks. I really want to push early so I can look at the last couple of weeks and focus on what I think will help the most come test day.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Platopus wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about RC. I ran out of time on this test, and ended up scraping the test for experimental sections because I was so pissed. It killed my RC confidence for a bit, but I've been back around -2/-3 for subsequent tests, so I'm concluding that it was just a bit harder.
The test ruined my day entirely. I'm really worried about the modern tests. I'm itching to start doing the 70s tests.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Alright people I have a question. I feel like I know the answer already but I kinda hope I'm wrong.
So I'm a senior right now, been doing lsat prep between school and my part-time job. It's been pretty difficult to juggle all 3 of these, and I've only managed to get through the PS LG and LR textbooks. The only drilling I've managed to do are most of the questions in those textbooks, not much else. Took my first PT outside of my diagnostic a few days ago, PT 45, the score breakdown was basically this:
LR: -7
RC: -4
LG: -9
LR: -9
TS: 159
I only got up to the first 15 questions for LG, and I ran out of time towards the end of the last LR section. Blind reviewed and got this instead:
LR: -6
LR: -3
TS: 169
I have speed issues in general I think, but the worst is definitely in the LG section. I think if I'm able to improve my speed in the LG section, I could be getting into the high 160s, maybe even break 170. But at the same time this might not be indicative of anything at all, seeing as it's just one PT, and an early one at that.

So with all these details in mind, do you guys think it would be possible, with enough drilling and reviewing, for me to up my speed and accuracy enough for me to get into at least the high 160s by June? Or do I just leave it till September? A number of people have told me to just take June anyway, then retake in September if I don't like my score, but would that be just a waste of a take by this point?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:Alright people I have a question. I feel like I know the answer already but I kinda hope I'm wrong.
So I'm a senior right now, been doing lsat prep between school and my part-time job. It's been pretty difficult to juggle all 3 of these, and I've only managed to get through the PS LG and LR textbooks. The only drilling I've managed to do are most of the questions in those textbooks, not much else. Took my first PT outside of my diagnostic a few days ago, PT 45, the score breakdown was basically this:
I only got up to the first 15 questions for LG, and I ran out of time towards the end of the last LR section. Blind reviewed and got this instead:
I have speed issues in general I think, but the worst is definitely in the LG section. I think if I'm able to improve my speed in the LG section, I could be getting into the high 160s, maybe even break 170. But at the same time this might not be indicative of anything at all, seeing as it's just one PT, and an early one at that.

So with all these details in mind, do you guys think it would be possible, with enough drilling and reviewing, for me to up my speed and accuracy enough for me to get into at least the high 160s by June? Or do I just leave it till September? A number of people have told me to just take June anyway, then retake in September if I don't like my score, but would that be just a waste of a take by this point?
June is in under 2 months, I don't think that's enough time to get you to 170. I'd wait till September but conventional TLS wisdom will tell you to take a gap year, work and study, then apply next year or the year after that.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Alright people I have a question. I feel like I know the answer already but I kinda hope I'm wrong.

June is in under 2 months, I don't think that's enough time to get you to 170. I'd wait till September but conventional TLS wisdom will tell you to take a gap year, work and study, then apply next year or the year after that.
Hm yeah I was thinking September too but I wasn't 100% sure, thanks! Gap year probably won't be possible tho, I'm an international student, and not the rich kind either. Also the earlier I do it, the easier it'll be to get another visa for law school, so I'd rather not wait a year if possible.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Platopus wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Yeah, the distractions are pretty obnoxious, but I think they're good practice conditions. Test day is going to be sooooo quiet in comparison. No one answering cell phones or little kids running around screaming.
Yo plato you have a 4.0 (like me! Gunners unite!), so whats your target if you kill the lsat like you did on that pt? Where do you want to end up?
For me its UChi with $$$.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 pm

dm1683 wrote: Yo plato you have a 4.0 (like me! Gunners unite!), so whats your target if you kill the lsat like you did on that pt? Where do you want to end up?
For me its UChi with $$$.

Uchi w/ $$$ is the goal, especially since I'm from the Chicago area. However, I also want that prestige of an H acceptance 8) Knowing me though, if I were to get both, I would being one of those annoying people trying to justify H, even tho it would be ridiculous. I'm really aiming to have TLS talk me off that ledge, that's the goal :P

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:What weekly study routine do you guys do? I'm interested in specifics like hours per day, number of drills with BR, total PTs per week, rest days etc.

I would also appreciate it if you mention your recent PT range.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
M-TH I usually drill 3 sections per day for about 2.5 hours + 1 hour of review for drills. I alternate days as follows: 1 day of 1 LR section and 2 RC sections followed by 1 day of 2 LR sections and 1 LG section.

F: Light review, maybe 1-2 sections of whatever I'm weakest on (usually LR or RC), pretty light. 1.5 hours tops.

Saturday: Full 5 section PT at the library. Done.

Sunday: Full review of entire test. I'll usually go through every question, skimming on ones where I remember it being really easy, focusing mainly on missed questions and difficult questions. Review usually takes about 3 hrs. I'll then usually do 2-3 sections of drills corresponding to my weakest section. 2 hrs of drilling.

I've recently upped my PT's to 2 per week, but will kick it into higher gear aiming for 3 a week. With one on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. Reviewing each the day after. I'm tapering off "drilling", but still haven't gotten into a study rhythm with 3 PT's a week.

PT range of last 6 PT's 168-179 w/ average at 173, so I'm varying pretty widely here which is concerning, but hopefully w/ more PT's I'll get it consistent.

Per PT:
LR anywhere from -2 to -6 combined
LG usually under -2 w/ 1 test at -5
RC anywhere from -1 to -6

Drilling:
LR average -1.77 per section
RC average: No idea. I tend to selectively ignore the bad sections... Mode is probably -3
LG average: -0.75ish

I don't really "Blind Review" like most people. I grade every test and section right after doing it. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the test, so I'm more interested in my mental processes when selecting answers. I'm decently confident that I can get the answer right if I had enough time to BR. Hopefully my hubris doesn't bite me in the ass.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Just finished PT 68:

RC: -7
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -2

I really needed this. Even though I bombed RC, it was literally moments after waking up and I felt slow. My average on RC has been -3 on all of my sections. What really made me happy was to finally feel LR "click" on a more recent test. I'm going to take another PT tonight when I get back from class. I think that a big factor in my marginal improvements has been endurance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:Plato, I have a surprisingly similar schedule.

I like your idea of alternating the drilling days with 2LR one LG and 2RC one LR.

Right now I PT twice a week and don't do anything LSAT related on Sundays.
Latest range of 5 PTs has been from 170-180. RC can really screw me so I'm working on that at the moment.

Recent Range:
LR -0 to -3 combined
LG -0 to -2
RC -2 to -6!(I hate you PT 67, you are the bane of my sinful existence)

Do you guys have any tips on how you approach particularly difficult RC passages?
My range is almost identical if you flip LR and RC. I don't really know how to offer advice on RC, one day I went -0 on a section and since then I'm consistently -2 or less. I just read the passage as thoroughly as I can, identify viewpoints, changes in attitude or tone, blah blah, and then answer the questions, referring back to the passage if I need to.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:
Do you guys have any tips on how you approach particularly difficult RC passages?
I've been trying to work on this. I sat in on a 7sage webinar about this topic and it was pretty obvious stuff, but still helpful to really make me realize that you can approach easy or hard passage the same way.

Basically.. All the really did was say focus on structure. they want more in depth with it, but that's the general idea. I'm sure you do that already considering your RC score, but really that's all they said. Do you do any notating or do you just read? I use some parts of a notating strategy that really helps me with detail questions.

What about tough passages is getting you? Is it the detail questions? inference question? I would assume that from your RC score, your issue isn't the bigger picture structure tho

then again, I prob shouldn't be talking since RC is my worst section but I'm slowly improving..... lmao

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Reviewed my last PT, realized I missed an LG question because I got confused by the wording. "If x and y are on a team, then for how many individuals can it be exactly determined where his or her team places?" I didn't count the original x and y :roll: hate questions like that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Reviewed my last PT, realized I missed an LG question because I got confused by the wording. "If x and y are on a team, then for how many individuals can it be exactly determined where his or her team places?" I didn't count the original x and y :roll: hate questions like that.
Same thing happened to me a few days ago, except I did count the element in the question when they wanted to know how many *other* positions could be determined. I went -1 that section...

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 pm

lol I also just reviewed a PT and also just found out I messed up a rule. -4 woulda turned into -0 :| :lol:

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:lol I also just reviewed a PT and also just found out I messed up a rule. -4 woulda turned into -0 :| :lol:
That kinda stuff gets scary when it gets closer to test day haha, its so easy to just make a small error you don't normally make.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 pm

I suck at RC!!!!

PT 58!

I took this test Tuesday evening after working all day. I started at 5:30pm and ended around 8:30pm.

Score= 170!

LG: 0
R1: 23/26 -3
R1: 23/25 -2
RC: 21/27 -6 :(

I really need to study RC and practice it. It is keeping me down. I scored really well with LG and LR in PT 58.

I will take PT 59 on sunday and then review it. During the week I will study RC and take PT 60 on Thursday night.

Any tips with RC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”