The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

34iplaw

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 pm

O.J. wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Is anyone here not aiming for the t14?
Me. But I'm the exception (43 years old). I own a home, have a family and my income will be supplemental, not a necessity. I need a local school and aiming for Pepperdine or LMU, maybe UCLA if enough $ is offered. Very debt adverse, so a solid LSAT is paramount for me. I have really strong softs, URM, and between my diagnostic so far and 3.8GPA, I should nail this thing. Fingers crossed.

What's your situation? Why are you looking outside T-14?
If there is a T14 within close distance to you, you're definitely in striking distance of huge scholarships with a strong enough LSAT even at T14/T10s, but I totally understand that geography is probably your key determinant of where you're looking. EDIT: Read more carefully. I think you would be a strong candidate for money at UCLA depending how generous they are with money.

thazel

New

Post by thazel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:21 pm

rubixcube wrote:
thazel wrote:Checking in for the first time.

Going to be sitting the June 2017 LSAT for the first time from New Zealand so it's great to have found this forum - no one knows much about the LSAT where I live.

I've been using the LG and LR Powerscore Bibles to begin with for self-study - what other books would you seasoned LSAT preppers recommend? Best books for RC prep?

Are online courses worth the cost or is a 170+ score achievable with self-study alone? I'll be studying about 15 hours a week initially and will up the hours closer to June as I'm doing my BA honours thesis this year at the same time.
Hi there, welcome aboard. It's good to hear you have the bibles from PowerScore, they're extremely useful for jumping straight into the content of the LSAT and picking up good habits for test-taking. A lot of people on here, as do I, swear by Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. I would recommend the book as a supplement to the bibles from PowerScore, because the Trainer does a very good job at giving you a big picture look of the exam.
Thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely look into getting Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. I've heard quite positive things things about the trainer, powerscore bibles, and the manhattan prep books, so it's just a case of deciding which ones are more beneficial than the others.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:27 pm

34iplaw wrote:
O.J. wrote:
Me. But I'm the exception (43 years old). I own a home, have a family and my income will be supplemental, not a necessity. I need a local school and aiming for Pepperdine or LMU, maybe UCLA if enough $ is offered. Very debt adverse, so a solid LSAT is paramount for me. I have really strong softs, URM, and between my diagnostic so far and 3.8GPA, I should nail this thing. Fingers crossed.

If there is a T14 within close distance to you, you're definitely in striking distance of huge scholarships with a strong enough LSAT even at T14/T10s, but I totally understand that geography is probably your key determinant of where you're looking. EDIT: Read more carefully. I think you would be a strong candidate for money at UCLA depending how generous they are with money.
Thanks for the tip, and I agree. The trick here is my LSAT, which is hovering between 155-160, but, I just started studying last week, so I'm sure in 6 months I can hit the 170 mark. In which case, having a BA from UCLA, killer softs (10+ years in law related field), a 3.8 at UCLA, and being a URM, might get me some money there. But at my age, I need 75% scholarship, or more, so Pepperdine and LMU might be the better bet for me. I'm only hanging a shingle anyway, not interested in Big Law, so my options in tier 2 are just as compelling, for me.

Thanks!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:31 pm

O.J. wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
O.J. wrote:

Thanks for the tip, and I agree. The trick here is my LSAT, which is hovering between 155-160, but, I just started studying last week, so I'm sure in 6 months I can hit the 170 mark. In which case, having a BA from UCLA, killer softs (10+ years in law related field), a 3.8 at UCLA, and being a URM, might get me some money there. But at my age, I need 75% scholarship, or more, so Pepperdine and LMU might be the better bet for me. I'm only hanging a shingle anyway, not interested in Big Law, so my options in tier 2 are just as compelling, for me.

Thanks!
According to LSN, two people with similar numbers got $215k and $145k respectively to UCLA. Actually, both were 166//3.86. Understood, but I think UCLA definitely seems within striking distance if you crack 165 for sizable scholarships. Def worth considering! I imagine the UCLA name carries a tremendous amount of weight down there as well.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:34 pm

34iplaw wrote: According to LSN, two people with similar numbers got $215k and $145k respectively to UCLA. Actually, both were 166//3.86.
Sweet! Unfortunately, I think my UGPA and LGPA is going to have a point or two difference. Will know this Spring for sure. Damn those community college grades from 20 years ago, lol.

But that's really good to know, fingers crossed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Was wondering if anyone had any success with any of the 7Sage packages. I saw that there was a topic on it on the first page, but I was wondering which specific package you guys picked (Starter, Premium, Ultimate, Ultimate+) because there are significant price differences between them. Do you think that the extras that came with the specific package you used were worth it, or should I just stick to the core curriculum package? Planning on picking up the course after I finish the LSAT Trainer (on Chapter 22).

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 pm

O.J. wrote:

I live in Texas and want to work here unless I can crack DC. UT would be the cheapest option for me while also being the best school for Texas besides HYS and since I am a URM, I think being at the median would still give me a solid chance at biglaw here.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm

aurelian wrote:Was wondering if anyone had any success with any of the 7Sage packages. I saw that there was a topic on it on the first page, but I was wondering which specific package you guys picked (Starter, Premium, Ultimate, Ultimate+) because there are significant price differences between them. Do you think that the extras that came with the specific package you used were worth it, or should I just stick to the core curriculum package? Planning on picking up the course after I finish the LSAT Trainer (on Chapter 22).
I just started 7Sage and love it so far. I did the starter with a 2 month extension, so it takes me right up to the test day. Good luck!

That's 10 PT's, but you can buy more PT's if needed ( I will).

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 pm

O.J. wrote:
aurelian wrote:Was wondering if anyone had any success with any of the 7Sage packages. I saw that there was a topic on it on the first page, but I was wondering which specific package you guys picked (Starter, Premium, Ultimate, Ultimate+) because there are significant price differences between them. Do you think that the extras that came with the specific package you used were worth it, or should I just stick to the core curriculum package? Planning on picking up the course after I finish the LSAT Trainer (on Chapter 22).
I just started 7Sage and love it so far. I did the starter with a 2 month extension, so it takes me right up to the test day. Good luck!

Thanks for the response, O.J. Did you find that any of the lack of extra features in the Starter pack have been constraining (as in the lack of explanations for some of the questions, lack of video explanations for all of the LSAT) exams?

Good luck to you as well! We will crush this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 am

Here's to another week ladies & gents!

adeloopy

New

Post by adeloopy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 am

Hey there, I just joined! Is anyone looking for a study buddy to help keep to each other's schedules with?

beruf

New

Post by beruf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am

Checking in !!!

beruf

New

Post by beruf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

adeloopy wrote:Hey there, I just joined! Is anyone looking for a study buddy to help keep to each other's schedules with?
Hi! I would like to do that too. Feel free to talk if you got time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:57 am

aurelian wrote:
O.J. wrote:

Thanks for the response, O.J. Did you find that any of the lack of extra features in the Starter pack have been constraining (as in the lack of explanations for some of the questions, lack of video explanations for all of the LSAT) exams?

Good luck to you as well! We will crush this.
Not sure, just started a couple days ago. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to post it.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Checking in.

I was a long time lurker during my last take, but look to get more involved this time. I studied 3 months for the December 2016 LSAT with a goal of 166 (156 diagnostic). The average of my last 5 PT's before December was a 166, I figured if I had a good day and performed well I could score that. I had a timing issue on section 1, had to guess the last 5 questions (3 wrong), and then I panicked. I took a brief bathroom break during section 2 to regain my composure. Went 15/27 on that section, well below my average RC scores. Long story long, I scored a 160.

I'm Canadian, and that score should get me into one or two schools, but not the school that I want to go to. So I'm here for round 2. I have fresh materials, some repeated materials, and a new found motivation to crush this test and never look at it again!

My plan is to start January 23rd and study 5 days a week for 20 weeks with a goal of 170+. My job allows me to study 5-8 hours a day, and take plenty of practice tests. I went through the bibles last go, so I am going to start with the Trainer this time, and buy 7sage as well. Also, I don't want to deal with a timing issue ever again, so I ordered the 180 watch. Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I waste my money?

Also, should I take a new diagnostic? Or just get right to studying and drilling?

Cheers!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:Checking in.

I was a long time lurker during my last take, but look to get more involved this time. I studied 3 months for the December 2016 LSAT with a goal of 166 (156 diagnostic). The average of my last 5 PT's before December was a 166, I figured if I had a good day and performed well I could score that. I had a timing issue on section 1, had to guess the last 5 questions (3 wrong), and then I panicked. I took a brief bathroom break during section 2 to regain my composure. Went 15/27 on that section, well below my average RC scores. Long story long, I scored a 160.

I'm Canadian, and that score should get me into one or two schools, but not the school that I want to go to. So I'm here for round 2. I have fresh materials, some repeated materials, and a new found motivation to crush this test and never look at it again!

My plan is to start January 23rd and study 5 days a week for 20 weeks with a goal of 170+. My job allows me to study 5-8 hours a day, and take plenty of practice tests. I went through the bibles last go, so I am going to start with the Trainer this time, and buy 7sage as well. Also, I don't want to deal with a timing issue ever again, so I ordered the 180 watch. Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I waste my money?

Also, should I take a new diagnostic? Or just get right to studying and drilling?

Cheers!
I don't have experience with the 180 watch but I also purchased an LSAT specific watch. My parents thought buying one was a stupid idea, but I've found mine to be really useful and not a waste of money at all.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:

Cheers!
I don't have experience with the 180 watch but I also purchased an LSAT specific watch. My parents thought buying one was a stupid idea, but I've found mine to be really useful and not a waste of money at all.
100% that they are really useful. Ultimately, a time keeper isn't really ALL that important IMO except for the last few minutes when they are critical. In those final minutes, it's really helpful to know whether you have two minutes or one minute left and knowing that quick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:06 pm

34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:Also, I don't want to deal with a timing issue ever again, so I ordered the 180 watch. Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I waste my money?
100% that they are really useful. Ultimately, a time keeper isn't really ALL that important IMO except for the last few minutes when they are critical. In those final minutes, it's really helpful to know whether you have two minutes or one minute left and knowing that quick.
I used the Perfect Score watch in December and I HATED it. Found it really difficult to reset. Is the 180 better/worth it?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:Also, I don't want to deal with a timing issue ever again, so I ordered the 180 watch. Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I waste my money?
I used the Perfect Score watch in December and I HATED it. Found it really difficult to reset. Is the 180 better/worth it?
I find the 180 watch easy to use...you definitely want to get the handle of it prior to test day, as you can sort of mess up the button pressing sequence but it resets automatically.

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

34iplaw wrote:
I find the 180 watch easy to use...you definitely want to get the handle of it prior to test day, as you can sort of mess up the button pressing sequence but it resets automatically.
Do you have to like pull up one of the knobs or are they just buttons you push down? Sorry for the oddly specific Qs haha

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Do you have to like pull up one of the knobs or are they just buttons you push down? Sorry for the oddly specific Qs haha
You push one to stop the timer. One to reset it. And then the other to start it again. You don't pull or twist anything. I think the site probably has a video of how it functions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:19 pm

34iplaw wrote: You push one to stop the timer. One to reset it. And then the other to start it again. You don't pull or twist anything. I think the site probably has a video of how it functions.
Great. That's just what I want. Thanks!

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm

I thought the mastermind watch was great. Each 8:45 section is color coded. I think that helped immensely in my RC and LG timing.

Unrelated, June squad is looking stacked. Quality group here.

rubixcube

New

Post by rubixcube » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Instrumental wrote:I thought the mastermind watch was great. Each 8:45 section is color coded. I think that helped immensely in my RC and LG timing.

Unrelated, June squad is looking stacked. Quality group here.
+1. June squad is also preparing for the next admissions cycle. Can't wait to get to know more of you, and share rollercoaster of emotions during the admissions process.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm

34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

Cheers!
I use mine a lot when I'm drilling. I could always just use the timer on my phone or an actual watch but I like how easy the LSAT watches are to use.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”