The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

180pedia

New

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by 180pedia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Amerision wrote:
180pedia wrote:
Amerision wrote:I'm doing pretty well with my studying, but I'm having a little trouble with formal logic. Is the Logical Reasoning Bible a good way to fix this? Any way besides reading?
Are you having trouble with understanding the basics of formal logic or when it gets more convoluted on the LSAT?

I will definitely take your advice about skimming the pages of a few books. I get sufficient -> necessary (to an extent -- sometimes I get tripped up on which is which) and definitely contrapositive, but the language of answer choices messes me up a lot. One that is especially difficult for me to is the "which of the following arguments has the same sort of structure" questions. I try to diagram the original and match up an answer to that, but oftentimes there are two that fit or my diagram is incorrect.
Fair enough - those are just the basic building blocks. You do need to get a strong grip on them before you move forward on it as well as the verbal indicators. A whole mess of logical flaws are based on that. Once you really understand sufficient necessary, start looking into the other areas.

Those would be parallel reasoning and flawed parallel reasoning.

For the former, you always want to figure out whether it is a good or bad argument (you will need a strong grasp on logic for this), and you can typically eliminate some answers like that. I think you can for the latter too, but I forget how often they have good arguments as answer choices for flawed parallel reasoning.

Some of the items I mentioned above often come into play for these.

Get a really strong grasp on logical indicators and how the necessary and sufficient functions. Then add in AND OR statements, and learn how those change the way logical arguments can work. Then I would work on quantifiers (Some most all etc.).

DreamerBulk

New

Post by DreamerBulk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I've been finding it really hard to get the amount of studying time that I want to put in when working 30+ hours a week and going to school full-time. I just keep telling myself that this is what I want and need to get it done to go where I want to go. It's such a struggle especially since I love to sleep

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:34 pm

I've hit a stage of self-doubt, not sure if anyone else goes through these. Just kind of feeling down on myself, like I'm going to underachieve, and feeling serious regret about my poor UG performance. TLS is a great motivator but at the same time it can definitely make you feel like you aren't good enough because some of you guys are legit impressive.

So trying to light a fire under my ass and get some serious studying in to overcome this hump. Hope the process is going well for everyone!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Hellish personal life past week, have only been reading the MH book and maybe have done ~15 questions. Feel better today, going to try and get through 2 RC sections and 50 or so LR questions.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 pm

finished drills for the night, a little ring-rust but not too bad.
LG: 25/25
LR: 46/50
RC: 24/28 (all losses came from the 1st passage :/)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 pm

dj9i27 wrote:finished drills for the night, a little ring-rust but not too bad.
Ouch! Rough passage, but overall I think this bodes well for your June performance.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Platopus wrote:
Ouch! Rough passage, but overall I think this bodes well for your June performance.
You know what is weird, it was passage 1 and I really enjoyed reading it (entailed oil rigs interesting to me) and the questions seemed to flow well but when I was grading it I was thinking,
"
[+] Spoiler
"

I need to work on confidence in LR, I found myself batting over answers for longer than I want to be.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
I need to work on confidence in LR, I found myself batting over answers for longer than I want to be.
I struggle with this too, I find myself double checking incorrect answers for certainty when I already know my answer is correct. I eliminate all the incorrect AC's, check my AC, but then skim the incorrect AC's again for absolutely no reason. I do this especially early in the section where I haven't quite warmed up. It's frustrating

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
I struggle with this too, I find myself double checking incorrect answers for certainty when I already know my answer is correct. I eliminate all the incorrect AC's, check my AC, but then skim the incorrect AC's again for absolutely no reason. I do this especially early in the section where I haven't quite warmed up. It's frustrating
I've erased the right answer and selected some bullshit that in hindsight was 100% wrong; the one habit that I sometimes fall into is not reading all the choices (rookie move I know) this is normally on the Appeal to Authority style questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
I've erased the right answer and selected some bullshit that in hindsight was 100% wrong; the one habit that I sometimes fall into is not reading all the choices (rookie move I know) this is normally on the Appeal to Authority style questions.
I did this the other day with LR; I talked myself out of very obvious answers, and into some obviously wrong answers. After I eliminate all the wrong answers (pretty confidently) I go back to try and justify the correct answer, which leads me to second guess eliminating a wrong answer. I noticed I tend to drop more points in the 1-12 range rather than the 14-26 range, and I'm pretty sure this is because I have more time to talk myself out of right answers. I know I need to get to the point where I can rationally justify every answer I choose, but my gut is usually right and for whatever reason I talk myself out of it.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Sick :)

I'm taking a PT tomorrow. Skipped PTs last week bc I was sick af. Let's see what score I get and if RC drilling has been of any use

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
I did this the other day with LR; I talked myself out of very obvious answers, and into some obviously wrong answers. After I eliminate all the wrong answers (pretty confidently) I go back to try and justify the correct answer, which leads me to second guess eliminating a wrong answer. I noticed I tend to drop more points in the 1-12 range rather than the 14-26 range, and I'm pretty sure this is because I have more time to talk myself out of right answers. I know I need to get to the point where I can rationally justify every answer I choose, but my gut is usually right and for whatever reason I talk myself out of it.
If I make a mistake on q 1-12 I rushed myself and made a stupid mistake (mostly) 14-26 may catch me with a tricky question where I second guess myself. there is still 3 months and 17 days to improve so I just keep thinking to keep plugging along.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 am

Mikey wrote:

I'm taking a PT tomorrow. Skipped PTs last week bc I was sick af. Let's see what score I get and if RC drilling has been of any use
being interested in what you're reading helps (unlike stupid fucking ellien gray) but I think youll go -2 with a good head on your shoulders.

which one you taking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

being interested in what you're reading helps (unlike stupid fucking ellien gray) but I think youll go -2 with a good head on your shoulders.

which one you taking?
I hate RC and if I went -2 on test day, id bug out lol. I'll be taking 47.

Yeah I know I should probably be doing PTs with comp reading but most likely will do that after this one.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

which one you taking?

Yeah I know I should probably be doing PTs with comp reading but most likely will do that after this one.
dude, my pt isn't until the 11/12/13th and I'm using superprep 2 A, chill with the comparative reading it's all the same in my opinion.
if a extremely sick meathead can pull minus 2 on test day, so can you man.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:18 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

which one you taking?

dude, my pt isn't until the 11/12/13th and I'm using superprep 2 A, chill with the comparative reading it's all the same in my opinion.
But you're good at it, I'm not lol. -2 RC would legit put me easily like mid-170's....

LSAT GODS PLEASE ACCEPT MY SOUL IN EXCHANGE FOR A GOOD SCORE ON TEST DAY

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

which one you taking?

But you're good at it, I'm not lol. -2 RC would legit put me easily like mid-170's....

LSAT GODS PLEASE ACCEPT MY SOUL IN EXCHANGE FOR A GOOD SCORE ON TEST DAY
Hey its me, ur lsac god.
It's luck too, sometimes I super fuck up RC but I would still say lr is my most inconsistent section. Weird games need to go away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Did one LR and one LG section today and I'm pretty frustrated. -4 on LR and -5 on LG, all 5 on LG that I missed were just careless mistakes, and 2 on LR were careless mistakes (I'm pretty sure I would've gotten the other 2 wrong no matter what). So I'm obviously angry for throwing away 7 answers I feel like I should've gotten. If i had gone -2/-0 I would have been pretty excited but here I am pissed off instead lol.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Really shit the bed with PT 47 today

162, and I'm highly disappointed.

Had a few distractions in and outside of my house which fucked me mostly during my 3rd section, but it is what it is.

e: think I might be burnt out, got a raging headache that started a few days ago, and when I began the PT it intensified. signs of burn out?? helpppp
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Mikey wrote:Really shit the bed with PT 47 today

Had a few distractions in and outside of my house which fucked me mostly during my 3rd section, but it is what it is.
3.5 months, Mikey. Most people start in 17 days, you're ahead of the curve.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I guess, but it pisses me off that I got a 169 a few weeks ago to this bullshit. Read my edit above, I think I may be burnt out anyways fml

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I guess, but it pisses me off that I got a 169 a few weeks ago to this bullshit. Read my edit above, I think I may be burnt out anyways fml
See, you can do it. Also, I think I'm a little brunt too; Not from the LSAT just life bullshit which does affect the LSAT performance.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

See, you can do it. Also, I think I'm a little brunt too; Not from the LSAT just life bullshit which does affect the LSAT performance.
Yeah 3.5 months is a long time. The election was 3.5 months ago, for context. So you're good.

Anyways, just finished the LG bible. Yay! Now on to drilling. Got my Powerscore games by type (tests 1-40) in the mail yesterday. I heard games by type is def something I should do but I didn't want to shell out $200 for the sketchy ripoff Cambridge ones on Amazon. Hoping these are just as good.

Unfortunately I have an ungodly amount of schoolwork (reading) to do over the weekend so I think I'll just start on Monday.
Trying to decide whether to go out tonight. Do y'all think Euripides' Medea is read best while hung over?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 pm

dm1683 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Yeah 3.5 months is a long time. The election was 3.5 months ago, for context. So you're good.

Anyways, just finished the LG bible. Yay! Now on to drilling. Got my Powerscore games by type (tests 1-40) in the mail yesterday. I heard games by type is def something I should do but I didn't want to shell out $200 for the sketchy ripoff Cambridge ones on Amazon. Hoping these are just as good.

Unfortunately I have an ungodly amount of schoolwork (reading) to do over the weekend so I think I'll just start on Monday.
Trying to decide whether to go out tonight. Do y'all think Euripides' Medea is read best while hung over?
I prefer Chipolte cups to read in the morning after drinking to read over; followed by text messages that I ought not have sent. I need to finish my LG drill packets soon, bout 1/2 way done.

Algernon

New

Post by Algernon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:56 pm

For LR and RC, people generally prefer Manhattan more than PowerScore right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”