The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Does anyone have a list of "must do" games/game sections? I've heard that PT 41 has some weird ones you should do and of course there's the Dinosaur game (50 something), the virus game (79) and the Real Estate game (80). Also I've heard that one of the original Superprep game sections was collectively the hardest of all time, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $20 for one old section when I already have PTs 1-80.
Original Superprep B (i think it was B) was the hardest section of all time. If you can do that, you're all set.

Otherwise, the games in PT's 29-38 are much tougher than anything 50+. After finishing those and going to PT's 75-80, I just LOL at LG.
PT B and C are hard. C has like a profiling game which has popped up on newer tests so that might be useful. I think PTs 33-38 have hard games too
I've worked through 33-38 and some of those sections are pretty brutal, I'm currently reusing them for experiments.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 pm

archer grandpapy360 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Don't Stop Me Now because it's the only one of those songs I know apart from Eye of the Tiger. It does hype me up though!
Open to any and all new song requests. New song suggestions will bump 0 vote songs off the list.
Rick Ross- Hold Me Back. If that doesn't make you wanna slap the test proctor, I don't know what will.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Fri May 19, 2017 12:55 pm

So, I remember a few of you were taking the test at the Marriott Downtown in NYC. Remind me if you are? I'm really gonna try to find you guys so we can calm each other's nerves (or make each other more nervous lmao).
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamerBulk

New

Post by DreamerBulk » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Working on my speed for the first 10 LR questions. What is the time that you shoot for? 10 Q's in 10 minutes? Any tips on how you were able to speed up?

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm

archer grandpapy360 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
archer grandpapy360 wrote: .
What's going on with the poll! I want to vote "I'm the One" by DJ Khaled, but it's not up there.
Fixed
Request for "believer" by Imagine Dragons

EDIT: but I suppose Champions ain't bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri May 19, 2017 1:18 pm

DreamerBulk wrote:Working on my speed for the first 10 LR questions. What is the time that you shoot for? 10 Q's in 10 minutes? Any tips on how you were able to speed up?
Read the prompt before the questions. Pre-phrase the answer. Quickly eliminate blatantly incorrect answers. Skip hard ones and come back to them later. Don't waste time!

And if you find your mind wandering, close your eyes for two seconds and refocus.

I shoot for just under 10 in 10, but I also like having time at the end of sections to chillax and re-set my watch.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm

DreamerBulk wrote:Working on my speed for the first 10 LR questions. What is the time that you shoot for? 10 Q's in 10 minutes? Any tips on how you were able to speed up?
Honestly, unless timing as a whole is a problem for you, there shouldn't be any hard rules you stick to. I check my time after each page turn, and rarely go over 10 minutes for the first 10, but needlessly chasing speed over accuracy is a quick way to lower your score. Are you running out of time on sections?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DreamerBulk

New

Post by DreamerBulk » Fri May 19, 2017 1:56 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Honestly, unless timing as a whole is a problem for you, there shouldn't be any hard rules you stick to. I check my time after each page turn, and rarely go over 10 minutes for the first 10, but needlessly chasing speed over accuracy is a quick way to lower your score. Are you running out of time on sections?
I don't want to say that I'm running out of time because I'm able to get to each question. I just don't have enough time to feel comfortable with the ones I skipped. So I guess that means I might be running out of time :(

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 pm

I wasn't sure how people managed to do this either in the past...then I read through the Trainer and started reading Q stems before the stimulus. Now I'm pretty consistently at 15 in 15 with 20 minutes left for the last 10 or 11.

Highly encourage stem before stim

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Did pt 56 today.
LG:-1
LR:-5
RC:-3
Score: 172.

Although I'm glad my LR review brought be down to a -5 from a -10 on my last pt, I really could have gone -2 or even -1 on this test, the ones I missed were pretty easy. I'm usually -0 or -1 on RC too, but got tripped up on a couple questions, plus it was the last section on the test, which I don't really like.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I don't have a shot in hell at Yale (#SplitterLife), but I still love Asha. And her Twitter this week is straight FIRE.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who do have a shot at Yale and need an extra boost of motivation this week. Asha is queen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 pm

DreamerBulk wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
I don't want to say that I'm running out of time because I'm able to get to each question. I just don't have enough time to feel comfortable with the ones I skipped. So I guess that means I might be running out of time :(
Focus on accuracy. If you skip two hard questions and have to guess at the end, it is better to go -2 than it is to miss easy questions because you're rushing. Keep in mind that the recent tests really punish you for not being thorough. If you are having trouble reading the ACs and eliminating incorrect answers on easier questions, you should focus on concepts rather than time. There are tests where no.2 will be one of the hardest LR questions. If you focus on time then those situations will really affect your performance.

Also be sure to review every question you get wrong, and be on the lookout for patterns. Knowing patterns means you can anticipate ACs and get faster.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 pm

heyduchess wrote:I don't have a shot in hell at Yale (#SplitterLife), but I still love Asha. And her Twitter this week is straight FIRE.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who do have a shot at Yale and need an extra boost of motivation this week. Asha is queen.
The fact that a former FBI agent will be reading my application is intimidating as hell.

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:54 pm

PT 71 today

LR: -2
LR: -3
RC: -3
LG:-2

Score: 172. Lowest PT in a month. Not happy.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri May 19, 2017 4:19 pm

principalagent wrote:Finally hit my target score on a PT!

PT 63:
LR 1: -0!! :shock: :shock: :D :D
LG: -1
LR: -4 :roll:
RC: -1
= 174

Extremely happy with this test and the progress I've made. Ideally this is the new normal now going forward. Finally feeling tons more confident about the test. Hoping that I continue to climb on LR in the coming weeks.

Also my hype song is Ultralight Beam by Kanye et al. Because this test necessitates prayer and a blessing for me.
Amen to the last one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm

88234 wrote:PT 71 today

Hey if 172 is your lowest PT then you aren't to worry, my friend. Unless your gpa is like 3.1 and you need 175+ to see god results.

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:37 pm

dm1683 wrote:
88234 wrote:PT 71 today

Hey if 172 is your lowest PT then you aren't to worry, my friend. Unless your gpa is like 3.1 and you need 175+ to see god results.
I'm taking it to get off waitlists at tons of places. Currently at GULC with 90k.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm

zkyggi wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
Has anyone experienced that when you are not mentally in the zone, you tend to make really careless mistakes when doing timed PT?
Yes, which is why I have seriously changed up my routine this last month. I have shifted to more cardio, more fruits/vegetables, etc. Feeling really good when it comes to PT focus.
Platopus wrote:
PT67 for me. My head was not in the game. It was like my 10th day in a row studying, I hadn't eaten in like 8 hours and started the test at 8 at night. Needless to say, my score showed it. The longer the test feels the worse I do. That said, I took a day off, shook it off and picked right back up at my usual scores.
I'm scared that this would happen in the actual test. Did PT 65 and, while reviewing, I noticed that almost all of the LR mistakes on the experimental sections are because of extreme carelessness, e.g. read "weaken" as opposed to "strengthen", MBF as opposed to MBT, and so on. Made a mistake in LG diagramming that thankfully cost me only 2 questions--but it could be much worse.

I guess for many of us, mental prep is even more important than drilling at this point. Still trying to figure out the best mental equilibrium to stay 100% focused and sharp throughout the actual test.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Nik9639 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Nik9639 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Nik9639 wrote: suh dude

Suh same tc
Floor plans:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event-pl ... -marriott/

Not sure how many rooms are going to be used for the LSAT, my ticket just says GT.
Would it be weird if I called and asked

Also what do people do if they have to uber/public transport to a test center. Cuz you can't bring your phone. I'm wondering if reception would be willing to watch it but that might be a violation?

Eta spelling
Uber will be a challenge since you need a phone to call it. But if metro just leave everything except for the ziplock at home.

I'm debating between metroing and driving. Parking is not free but might worth it so I don't have to worry about phone and such. IF I decide to drive you are welcome to lock your stuff in my car.

Let me know if you call them, I'm curious as well. Does your ticket says GT as well?
Appreciated but no pressure to bring it! Driving can be annoying.

I haven't checked recently I'll check later tho.

I wonder if gt means Georgetown room?

I really should just embrace the phoneless life and metro there but how will I know which section is experiemental 5 mins after the test ends by checking TLS?!?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Just finished 69 8)

LR -2
LG -0
RC -4
LR -1

Stoked about my LR scores but also annoyed bc I missed Qs 3, 5 and 15. So like, things I shouldn't miss.

Feels good going into the e test tomorrow with a 174 tho

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Just finished 69 8)

LR -2
LG -0
RC -4
LR -1

Stoked about my LR scores but also annoyed bc I missed Qs 3, 5 and 15. So like, things I shouldn't miss.

Feels good going into the e test tomorrow with a 174 tho
Me too!

LR -4 (made some REALLY stupid mistakes, including misreading #2)
LG -2 (again, couldn't finish)
RC -1
LR -1

What is the e-test and how is it different from a normal PT?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
I wasn't sure how people managed to do this either in the past...then I read through the Trainer and started reading Q stems before the stimulus. Now I'm pretty consistently at 15 in 15 with 20 minutes left for the last 10 or 11.

Highly encourage stem before stim
This x100. Stem before Stim lets you know ahead of time how exactly you should read the stim (whether for structure, flaws, or combination).

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Did 3 full game sections yesterday and 2 today, both with review. redid older ones (29-38 range) yesterday and re did some sections from mid 50s today, results were decent but kicking myself for doing a stupid set up on the first game of a section (56 I think) and using 11 minutes and missing 2, which led me to not getting to the last 2 questions and ended up with a -4. Fortunately this was my worst overall over the 5 sections, and I can survive having my LG in that range as long as my LR and RC remains solid. Still pushing towards -1/-0 but this seems to only happen when I get a favorable section (ie. one pure sequencing, two double layer sequencing and an In/Out game).

Also to note, I've started doing some grouping games which don't have a defined number of pieces in a chart format. Its useful but anytime you have to write out hypos its either very time consuming, especially if I have 2 split charts. I don't think I'll be using it extensively, but it did make a couple really tough grouping games go much smother than usual so I'll keep it in my back pocket to use when a standard grouping board just isn't clicking for me visually.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”