The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

34iplaw

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:22 am

NavyNuke wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:Cold diagnostic 160. Ran out of time in RC and LG. Shooting for 170+.

Is 10 or more points in 6 months reasonable? Any recommendations for best online prep course to help with improving speed?
Lol considering everything I've seen in my short time on TLS, I'd say 10 points in 6 months is pretty reasonable. Heck it'd still be reasonable with a 2 month time frame. I am a newbie of the highest order tho, so take everything I say with a giant tablespoon of salt. Also, most people I've seen here recommend trying self-study to improve yourself first before a prep course.
There is hope then I guess! I thought about the feb test, but baby number three will be here soon and with work... I have bought the powerscore bibles to get started, but running out of time on two sections has kind of freaked me out so now I'm thinking I may need a course.
10 points is def doable, esp. if you lost most of your points in LG.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:33 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:Wow I hate finals. Can't wait for Christmas break so I can do something a little less painful. Like studying for the LSAT.
I was studying for one of mine this morning and I kept thinking about how I can't wait until finals are over so I can study for the LSAT again. Can't tell if Stockholm syndrome or if I actually enjoy this thing.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:16 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Wow I hate finals. Can't wait for Christmas break so I can do something a little less painful. Like studying for the LSAT.
I was studying for one of mine this morning and I kept thinking about how I can't wait until finals are over so I can study for the LSAT again. Can't tell if Stockholm syndrome or if I actually enjoy this thing.
im feeling the same way

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:51 am

I'd MUCH rather study for school than the LSAT.

School = cram night before = good grades

LSAT = cram night before = LOL good luck

School is just much less stressful because there's so much more certainty regarding how you'll likely perform. So much of the stuff is just memory work and very basic reasoning.

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:***Tentatively**** checking in

I'm a masochist looking for scholly
About damn time

Maybe I should retake too? Y/N?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Roddy618

New

Post by Roddy618 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:49 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:I'd MUCH rather study for school than the LSAT.

School is just much less stressful because there's so much more certainty regarding how you'll likely perform. So much of the stuff is just memory work and very basic reasoning.
This is so true and depending on the major, there's almost no reasoning to any test you take.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Roddy618 wrote:

This is so true and depending on the major, there's almost no reasoning to any test you take.
I'm in the cramming stage for finals right now so I'm a little biased lol. I think that's why I like the LSAT more though. It's challenging and you have to put in a ton of work, but when you start doing well you feel proud of yourself. I just have to cram and memorize the night before for most of my exams. Getting an A is nice but I don't really feel accomplished afterwards because it was relatively easy.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:34 pm

chicharon wrote:

About damn time

go study for finals.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:42 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Took the test a year ago. Didn't reset watch in games. Here I am
How long have you been studying? There's a couple old guard posters in this thread. I've been studying for over a year....starting to think I may be spinning my wheels.
Off and on since like, 2014 but haven't looked at a question since December 16

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:02 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Roddy618 wrote:

I'm in the cramming stage for finals right now so I'm a little biased lol. I think that's why I like the LSAT more though. It's challenging and you have to put in a ton of work, but when you start doing well you feel proud of yourself. I just have to cram and memorize the night before for most of my exams. Getting an A is nice but I don't really feel accomplished afterwards because it was relatively easy.
I mean I think it really depends on your UG and major. For me, getting a GPA of ~3.7 was a lot more work and stress and sleepless nights than a 170+ was. But, at my UG you can't cram literally the night before and expect to get a decent grade unless you're Mike Ross.

But I'm also in the middle of finals (and sleep deprived and bitter) so probably pretty biased, though I think I felt like that when I was studying for the LSAT too. Idk, kind of confused by how easy good GPAs are perceived to be on here sometimes.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Probably going to take this test. I'm taking the February test and hoping for UT's median

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:50 pm

Alexandros wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Roddy618 wrote:

I mean I think it really depends on your UG and major. For me, getting a GPA of ~3.7 was a lot more work and stress and sleepless nights than a 170+ was. But, at my UG you can't cram literally the night before and expect to get a decent grade unless you're Mike Ross.

But I'm also in the middle of finals (and sleep deprived and bitter) so probably pretty biased, though I think I felt like that when I was studying for the LSAT too. Idk, kind of confused by how easy good GPAs are perceived to be on here sometimes.
Yeah I definitely agree that it depends on your major and UG. I knew going into college that I wanted to go to law school and that I needed as close to a 4.0 as possible, so I went with a pretty easy major. I think the biggest thing that has helped me is that I've had a lot of professors who give out A+'s pretty liberally.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:55 am

How much are y'all studying right now? I'm hovering around 10-15 hours a week, but I feel like that isn't enough time. Some weeks are less, some are more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 am

amta wrote:
chicharon wrote:

About damn time

go study for finals.
Doing Torts MCQs as we speak

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 pm

PresidentIJohnson wrote:How much are y'all studying right now? I'm hovering around 10-15 hours a week, but I feel like that isn't enough time. Some weeks are less, some are more.
That's pretty good tbh. I'm a fan of doing light studying over a longer period of time.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:03 am

Alexandros wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Roddy618 wrote:

Same.. Maybe a few intro classes I could Ace a test in UG just from cramming the night before, but not on any upper levels. If i did that i'd be screwed. Really depends on your major

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am

As of now my plan is to finish all 3 Powerscore Bibles (have finished RC), do as many prep tests as possible, review said tests and cross-reference RC & LR weaknesses with the relevant section of their respective Powerscore Bibles, review all prep test logic games via 7sage YouTube & cross-reference areas of weakness with relevant section of LG Bible, read as much Economist, WSJ, NY Times as possible.

I'm aiming for a 170 - is the above strategy enough? If not, what other books should I check out/strategies I should consider? I've heard loads of good things about the LSAT Trainer (correct name?) and Manhattan Prep's LR review book - would consider getting those also.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:26 am

greatspirit wrote:As of now my plan is to finish all 3 Powerscore Bibles (have finished RC), do as many prep tests as possible, review said tests and cross-reference RC & LR weaknesses with the relevant section of their respective Powerscore Bibles, review all prep test logic games via 7sage YouTube & cross-reference areas of weakness with relevant section of LG Bible, read as much Economist, WSJ, NY Times as possible.

I'm aiming for a 170 - is the above strategy enough? If not, what other books should I check out/strategies I should consider? I've heard loads of good things about the LSAT Trainer (correct name?) and Manhattan Prep's LR review book - would consider getting those also.
Sounds like a good stack to me. The books are great to get a foundation, but gains are made through drilling sections and reviewing PTs and problems relentlessly. The Trainer might be good to do before the Bibles if you want. I would hold out on Manhattan until you finish the bibles and feel that you need another approach. Also, def do Manhattan RC over the bible. I actually have the bible one though and I may just go through it to beef up my RC. At the end of the day it cant hurt, but dont want to use most your prep time doing books. Once you have a foundation drilling is key.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:29 am

One more day and I'm back to the LSAT grind :D

acacius

New

Post by acacius » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 am

I've been looking for a schedule that combines 7sage and LSAT Trainer and cannot find one. What are your suggestions? Do I just follow the schedule for LSAT Trainer + 7sage separately or will that be too confusing? (i.e. different topics at the same time?)

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:41 am

acacius wrote:I've been looking for a schedule that combines 7sage and LSAT Trainer and cannot find one. What are your suggestions? Do I just follow the schedule for LSAT Trainer + 7sage separately or will that be too confusing? (i.e. different topics at the same time?)
I would do trainer first as an intro and when you finish start 7sage.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acacius

New

Post by acacius » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:45 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
acacius wrote:I've been looking for a schedule that combines 7sage and LSAT Trainer and cannot find one. What are your suggestions? Do I just follow the schedule for LSAT Trainer + 7sage separately or will that be too confusing? (i.e. different topics at the same time?)
Thanks for the quick response, I actually have the Cambridge drilling packets (Extreme Endurance Edition PDFs), so how would you incorporate that?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:07 am

acacius wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, I actually have the Cambridge drilling packets (Extreme Endurance Edition PDFs), so how would you incorporate that?
Just curious, what's the extreme endurance edition?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
acacius wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Just curious, what's the extreme endurance edition?
Man you are lucky.. I wish I could get my hands on the Cambridge Drilling packets. I mean you would start the Cambridge packets when you are ready to drill by type. I would maybe blow through the Trainer pretty quickly and then do 7sage with drilling packets? I am not entirely sure the interface and plan of 7sage because I haven't had experience with 7sage courses. Just the LG videos & explanations

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Waiting for my professors to finalize our grades is giving me bad flashbacks to waiting for September scores. I think I'm going to reread the Manhattan LR book over the next few days and then start drilling the Cambridge packets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”