The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 pm

"Wow if I had been better at the lsat I would have gotten a 177!"

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:"Wow if I had been better at the lsat I would have gotten a 177!"
if I were smart, maybe I'd be heading to Harvard this fall

but I'm not

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 pm

If I were smart, I would've gone to medical school.

But I'm not.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:If I were smart, I would've gone to medical school.

But I'm not.
/everylawyerisafailedmedstudent

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:If I were smart, I would've gone to medical school.

But I'm not.
/everylawyerisafailedmedstudent
RT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Days until the June LSAT: 50.

Anyone got a free resource -- or want to share some membership resources from 7Sage -- to help with making all the right initial inferences in Logic Games? I've been learning how to approach them by watching JY's video explanations on YouTube, but every now and then I fail to see some of the initial inferences, possibilities he can easily symbolize on one or more game boards, and he says something like "if you didn't get this, you need to go back and re-do the 7Sage 'fail proof methods' program" or something to that effect. Of course, those videos are not on YouTube. Without arguing the reasonableness of investing some money in LSAT prep (when we're spending all this other money on the test itself, LS apps, et cetera), can anyone suggest or share such resources? Something that focuses on setting up the game boards first in a way that represents visually all their possible manifestations?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:24 pm

First post on TLS, and checking into the group.

Took the LSAT SuperPrep book tests as a diagnostic and then to get more familiar with the exam and scored ~mid 160s. Realized logical reasoning was my big weakness, RC was a strength and that games just needed better diagramming strategy. I went through all of the Powerscore LR bible and the first half of the LSAT Trainer (which I found extremely helpful, for what it's worth). Took my first full test (PT 9) after studying those sections today, and:

RC: -2
LR 1: -5
LG: -1
LR 2: -4
= 172

LR is still a weakness, but generally hoping going forward that I can keep games and RC around -2 or fewer total to allow myself some leeway.

The plan over the next 50 days is to drill a couple sections a week night and take at least a test per day on the weekend. I'll also casually finish up the LSAT Trainer as well. Combined, hopefully that'll help my LR sections get down to a combined -5 or fewer too over time. I plan to use older tests (with some 52-61 interspersed) to drill while using 62-80 for full tests. Goal is to hit 174.

Will be lurking and checking in over the next few weeks. Good luck all around!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 pm

principalagent wrote:First post on TLS, and checking into the group.

Took the LSAT SuperPrep book tests as a diagnostic and then to get more familiar with the exam and scored ~mid 160s. Realized logical reasoning was my big weakness, RC was a strength and that games just needed better diagramming strategy. I went through all of the Powerscore LR bible and the first half of the LSAT Trainer (which I found extremely helpful, for what it's worth). Took my first full test (PT 9) after studying those sections today, and:

= 172

LR is still a weakness, but generally hoping going forward that I can keep games and RC around -2 or fewer total to allow myself some leeway.

The plan over the next 50 days is to drill a couple sections a week night and take at least a test per day on the weekend. I'll also casually finish up the LSAT Trainer as well. Combined, hopefully that'll help my LR sections get down to a combined -5 or fewer too over time. I plan to use older tests (with some 52-61 interspersed) to drill while using 62-80 for full tests. Goal is to hit 174.

Sounds like you have it all figured out, and are doing pretty well so far. Keep it up! Welcome to the thread

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Walliums wrote:Ugh guys I had a big score plummet yesterday and went down to 167. Just dropped in all areas. It feels no bueno.
It sucks, but it's not panic mode yet. They happen, just shake it off and keep at it. You clearly understand the material on a conceptual level, so I wouldn't freak out. A 167 every now and then keeps us honest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm

HarveySpecterr wrote:Days until the June LSAT: 50.

Anyone got a free resource -- or want to share some membership resources from 7Sage -- to help with making all the right initial inferences in Logic Games? I've been learning how to approach them by watching JY's video explanations on YouTube, but every now and then I fail to see some of the initial inferences, possibilities he can easily symbolize on one or more game boards, and he says something like "if you didn't get this, you need to go back and re-do the 7Sage 'fail proof methods' program" or something to that effect. Of course, those videos are not on YouTube. Without arguing the reasonableness of investing some money in LSAT prep (when we're spending all this other money on the test itself, LS apps, et cetera), can anyone suggest or share such resources? Something that focuses on setting up the game boards first in a way that represents visually all their possible manifestations?
I'm not sure if the bolded is entirely possible just bc the way some games are set up.

What you're asking for, is other free games resources that don't suck, and isn't a course and is more something to use to double check,right? I'm a big fan of lsathacks.com. He doesn't have all of the games but does have most of the recent ones and he's pretty open with his approaches and how he gets to things.

One thing which I know is cheap (like$20 I think), is the blueprint games supplement, but I don't think that's what you're really looking for as it's more a course. If you're missing initial inferences, then lsathacks or the bp might help.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am

Took a couple week break in lieu of finals szn. Had two finals on Thursday-Friday, my next/last one is this upcoming Thursday. Got an A in a class I was expecting to get an A- in, and therefore the pressure is off for this last final and I decided to "procrastinate" by taking PT76 today. My last two tests I got destroyed on sections 1-2 and then only got -1 on the last two sections, it was weird. Gunna start in 5-10 min, let's see what happens.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
HarveySpecterr wrote:Days until the June LSAT: 50.

I'm not sure if the bolded is entirely possible just bc the way some games are set up.

What you're asking for, is other free games resources that don't suck, and isn't a course and is more something to use to double check,right? I'm a big fan of lsathacks.com. He doesn't have all of the games but does have most of the recent ones and he's pretty open with his approaches and how he gets to things.

One thing which I know is cheap (like$20 I think), is the blueprint games supplement, but I don't think that's what you're really looking for as it's more a course. If you're missing initial inferences, then lsathacks or the bp might help.
The Powerscore LG workbook has drills for LG set up and inference making for all types of games.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

How big of a jump is possible in 7 weeks of study? I've completely botched studying over the past few months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:It's great when you review a test and realize you were just temporarily dumb
Yes. Then you calculate your "shoulda been" score. Turns out I've been scoring 178-180 this whole time!
This is why review is kind of funny. When i work through the ones I got wrong, a little piece of me says: "do I REALLY need to count this wrong?"
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 pm

zkyggi wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:It's great when you review a test and realize you were just temporarily dumb
Yes. Then you calculate your "shoulda been" score. Turns out I've been scoring 178-180 this whole time!
This is why review is kind of funny. When i work through the ones I got wrong, a little piece of me says: "do I REALLY need to count this wrong?"
"I mean I'd obviously NEVER get this wrong on test day"

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:11 pm

After a couple of days working (light) on LG, I have some results!

PT38: 171 (first time 170+).

LR: -2
LG: -3
RC: -6

Still unbalanced (6 times more errors in a RC section than in a LG section), but I feel like there's hope :lol:

Could you guys tell me if Blind Reviewing is useful? I never did that (and I don't actually know what does it mean, even if I could make an educate guess) but it seems that many of you are affectionate blind reviewers!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 pm

InterLaw wrote:After a couple of days working (light) on LG, I have some results!

PT38: 171 (first time 170+).

LR: -2
LG: -3
RC: -6

Still unbalanced (6 times more errors in a RC section than in a LG section), but I feel like there's hope :lol:

Could you guys tell me if Blind Reviewing is useful? I never did that (and I don't actually know what does it mean, even if I could make an educate guess) but it seems that many of you are affectionate blind reviewers!
Get that LG down to -0 and the RC down to -3 and you're golden. I think LR is the hardest section and clearly you've got that under control.

As far as BR goes, I'm probably not the best person to comment on it since I don't really do it. But it's basically circling questions you're not 100% certain about and going back and reviewing them when you're done, before you check the answers. Supposed to be very helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:05 pm

InterLaw wrote:

Blind Review is helpful, but for me, most of the benefits haven't come from the "blind" portion. What I do is input my answers into 7sage right after the test, I mark the questions I got wrong without looking at the answers, then I go and redo them along with any question I considered hard.

I won't say this is a better way, because it isn't. It simply allows me to review without being anxious to see my score, which helps me really make sure I don't rush through the review process to see my score.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:21 pm

greatspirit wrote:How big of a jump is possible in 7 weeks of study? I've completely botched studying over the past few months.
Honestly, thats not a question you want to be asking. If you havent been studying, do yourself the favor and wait at least until September. Dont sit until youve put in the consistent study to score where you need to in order to get admitted to your top choice.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

zkyggi wrote:
InterLaw wrote:

Blind Review is helpful, but for me, most of the benefits haven't come from the "blind" portion. What I do is input my answers into 7sage right after the test, I mark the questions I got wrong without looking at the answers, then I go and redo them along with any question I considered hard.

I won't say this is a better way, because it isn't. It simply allows me to review without being anxious to see my score, which helps me really make sure I don't rush through the review process to see my score.

Yeah this is how I do it. Be liberal with what you flag for review you really don't want to be getting things wrong you don't flag.

I review things twice, first to see if I can get it right, then I do a write up of the question. Basically pretend that you're explaining it to someone who doesn't know anything about the lsat. This was really helpful for me, especially with RC where I would review/summarize the whole passage.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Thank you, all clear! I'll try to BR and see how do I like it.

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Get that LG down to -0 and the RC down to -3 and you're golden. I think LR is the hardest section and clearly you've got that under control.
I'm working on LG down to -0. RC to -3 could be just beyond my current capacities, language matter (eng is my second language and I don't live in US, as I was saying some posts ago).
However, I'm trying to improve my reading skills with a good novel and some articles every day.
It would be easier for me to get a -0 on LR (it happened 2/3 times), it is always my best section...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

InterLaw wrote:Thank you, all clear! I'll try to BR and see how do I like it.

MediocreAtBest wrote:
I'm working on LG down to -0. RC to -3 could be just beyond my current capacities, language matter (eng is my second language and I don't live in US, as I was saying some posts ago).
However, I'm trying to improve my reading skills with a good novel and some articles every day.
It would be easier for me to get a -0 on LR (it happened 2/3 times), it is always my best section...
Oh ok, I didn't see your earlier post, but yes I can see how difficult RC could be in that situation, some of the passages can be really dense and confusing. But hey, you're going over 170 either way so that's great.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm

principalagent wrote:First post on TLS, and checking into the group.

= 172

This is basically my plan. Drill 3 sections a day and for the next 2 weekends time myself. After that I'll take about 3 pts every weekend

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Took all 4 sections of a test in the 40's separately the last couple days, and they shook out to a 177, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. But a bit concerned that I lack the stamina to do it all in a row. Going to start experimenting with 6 section PT's. I've noticed my best tests seem to fly by since I'm focused like a laser, whereas I tend to feel a bit foggy on my worse tests. Trying to figure out the secret formula to get that hyper-focus come test day.

Anyone else absolutely pumped to ace this damn test ? :P I don't think I've ever wanted something as bad as I want to score a 175+ come test day, honestly. For all 4 years of UG, law school was my Plan A, and then through a combination of events, it wasn't. I got a job and it kind of became a fall back. Flash forward a couple years, and law school actually makes some real sense (career wise) and has become Plan A again, so I really don't want to squander all my hard work in college w/ a 167 come test day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”