Anyone here ever get a terrible headache from studying? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
olikatz

Bronze

Anyone here ever get a terrible headache from studying?

Post by olikatz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:11 am

About 10 days ago my head was throbbing so badly when I woke up. I had a headache all around my head, fatigue, slightly blurry vision, brain fog etc. For about 5 days after the first day, my symptoms were the same. The past few days, my headache is more mild, but still lingering, but now I have terrible pain in my neck and shoulders. My doc did a CT scan and blood work and said everything is fine and said it could be muscle tension and/or eye and neck strain from being hunched over and studying for hours at a time. He gave me a muscle relaxer and said give it a few more days. Has anyone experienced this pain related to studying? If so how long did it take to go away? I am getting worried now that its been such a long time with these symptoms :(

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Anyone here ever get a terrible headache from studying?

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:33 am

I started getting tension headaches in law school, which then got worse/more frequent during bar study and still regularly flare up during certain periods of work.

Find other positions to read in that don't involve looking down at a book on a table. (I would lie in the floor and do barbri practice questions on the phone app when it got bad). Get a prescription for a muscle relaxant. Strengthen and stretch your neck and back muscles. Sleep with minimal pillow (really just something under your neck) if you sleep on your back.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 am

I got headaches A LOT when studying for the LSAT for September. I never gave myself a few days break, and I would study for basically my entire day, each day.

After the September test, I took a week off and then started on some studying again and felt much better. Also during the break, I wasn't getting any headaches like before.

Take a break!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 am

how much water do you drink?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 am

I had trouble seeing and headaches after a while. My doctor said to just take more frequent breaks and that it should go away when I stop. She said I was probably just straining my eyes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 am

Yes. Drink lots of water, eat regularly and healthy, get some exercise. I had a headache on my first LSAT = bombed it

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:54 pm

proteinshake wrote:how much water do you drink?
At least 3 liters of water a day

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:10 pm

bmathers wrote:Yes. Drink lots of water, eat regularly and healthy, get some exercise. I had a headache on my first LSAT = bombed it
My fear is that this pain will come back around my LSAT in December. Typically, how long does it take to go away for you?

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:20 pm

olikatz wrote:
bmathers wrote:Yes. Drink lots of water, eat regularly and healthy, get some exercise. I had a headache on my first LSAT = bombed it
My fear is that this pain will come back around my LSAT in December. Typically, how long does it take to go away for you?
Happened to me a lot starting third year of undergrad. Doctor said I was straining my eyes and recommended some really mild reading glasses. Helped a lot. And I got a headache the day of the LSAT at 8am cause I only had like 4 hours of sleep. Fortunately the exam was at 12:30 (June) so I went for a walk, drank some Gatorade and water, and it went away at like 11:30. If you sleep well and drink lots of water like people suggested and relax the day before the exam you should be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:07 pm

I am experiencing the same thing.

I actually visited a chiropractor/sports medicine in the town. Turns out I have a stiff neck/military neck, and joints/bones in my neck have been inflamed. I've been getting my neck/shoulder massaged.

I am pretty sure your neck/shoulder area have been inflamed due to long periods of straining/hunching down. I also have tension headaches here and there.

I suggest you to take a break, work on your posture, get some medical help on your neck, and try not to use your cellphone looking down.

Cusuch

New

Post by Cusuch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Mod edit: SPAM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”