correct usage of "either...or" Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DragonWell

New

correct usage of "either...or"

Post by DragonWell » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 am

Am I understanding "either...or" wrong?

In a logic game question, a rule says: "The site visited third dates from a more recent century than does either the site visited first or that visited fourth."
What is the implication here?

Do you think it means: "The site visited third dates from a more recent century than does the sited visited first. Otherwise, the site visited third dates from a more recent century than does that visited fourth. "

Or would you agree it means:' The site visited third dates from a more recent century than both the site visited first, and the site visited fourth."

I've googled correct usage of "either...or", and "both...and". But the answer I get doesn't seem to make sense.

mwells56

Silver

Re: correct usage of "either...or"

Post by mwells56 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 am

DragonWell wrote:Am I understanding "either...or" wrong?

In a logic game question, a rule says: "The site visited third dates from a more recent century than does either the site visited first or that visited fourth."

Do you think it means: "The site visited third dates from a more recent century than does the sited visited first. Otherwise, the site visited third dates from a more recent century than does that visited fourth. "

Or would you agree it means:' The site visited third dates from a more recent century than both the site visited first, and the site visited fourth."

I've googled correct usage of "either...or", and "both...and". But the answer I get doesn't seem to make sense.
It means that it's more recent than both. You just need to take the context.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:57 am

Ambiguous given context. Poorly written. I think it should technically be the first option.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:41 am

I remember this game vividly.

It means the site visited third is either the ninth or 10th century because there's no way eighth century could be earlier.
IIRC, another rule forces only one century (I won't say which) to take third place, resulting in clarity.

Your understanding is spot-on. For example, if I say I want either vanilla or chocolate,
if I get vanilla, I'll be content, but if I get chocolate, that's fine as well. If I get both in this summer heat, HALLELUJAH.
"Either" just means "at least one." However, when you sneak in "but not both," that's when you only have at most one option.
"Both" and "and" indicate two are necessary. Given "if a breakfast were to be good, it requires pancakes and OJ,"
just having solely pancakes/OJ or neither will fail the condition to make the breakfast "good."
Even when you have both, it doesn't guarantee the breakfast will be good, but if you know your breakfast IS good,
you know it has both ingredients.

DragonWell

New

Post by DragonWell » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 am

mwells56 wrote:
DragonWell wrote:Am I understanding "either...or" wrong?

It means that it's more recent than both. You just need to take the context.
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DragonWell

New

Post by DragonWell » Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 am

kcdc1 wrote:Ambiguous given context. Poorly written. I think it should technically be the first option.
Thanks!

DragonWell

New

Post by DragonWell » Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 am

Deardevil wrote:I remember this game vividly.

It means the site visited third is either the ninth or 10th century because there's no way eighth century could be earlier.
IIRC, another rule forces only one century (I won't say which) to take third place, resulting in clarity.

Your understanding is spot-on. For example, if I say I want either vanilla or chocolate,
if I get vanilla, I'll be content, but if I get chocolate, that's fine as well. If I get both in this summer heat, HALLELUJAH.
"Either" just means "at least one." However, when you sneak in "but not both," that's when you only have at most one option.
"Both" and "and" indicate two are necessary. Given "if a breakfast were to be good, it requires pancakes and OJ,"
just having solely pancakes/OJ or neither will fail the condition to make the breakfast "good."
Even when you have both, it doesn't guarantee the breakfast will be good, but if you know your breakfast IS good,
you know it has both ingredients.
Thanks! You are a real pro!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”