How has the LSAT changed in the past 6 years? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HiLine

Bronze

How has the LSAT changed in the past 6 years?

Post by HiLine » Tue May 31, 2016 4:08 am

In 2010, I found this incredible forum which helped me tremendously with my LSAT preparation. I ended up deciding not to go to law school at the time and stopped studying for the LSAT 2 weeks before I took it, scoring 163. I'm considering law school again and planning to take the LSAT in September.

I remember that when I was studying for the test, logic games were getting trickier and logical reasoning questions were getting easier. I wonder in what direction the LSAT sections have evolved in terms of difficulty. I'm assuming the format and question types have remained the same.

Any information on this is much appreciated. Any other related changes (study techniques, study materials, etc.) would also be really helpful. Back in 2010, the 10 preptest collections combined with the Powerscore Bibles were the winning formula.

iamapipersson

New

Re: How has the LSAT changed in the past 6 years?

Post by iamapipersson » Tue May 31, 2016 5:24 am

Debatable, but the trend in the past five years has been easier LGs and harder LR. And there's a comparative RC section....

But not much else. I solely studied tests 1-35 and managed a 170 in december.

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 am

You would actually be the ideal guinea pig for settling this question once and for all. You're apparently familiar with the test and got a pretty good score on your first pass (I'm assuming you just winged it after deciding not to go to law school).

A lot of people think the tests from the past 3-4 years are noticeably harder than years previously. However, because students typically work through tests chronologically, burnout can be a substantial factor in a lot of these cases--made difficult by the fact that it's hard to measure. But if you were to go back and forth between the 50s, 60s, and 70s PTs rather than going chronologically, you could provide some valuable data based on your own progress.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 am

HiLine wrote:In 2010, I found this incredible forum which helped me tremendously with my LSAT preparation. I ended up deciding not to go to law school at the time and stopped studying for the LSAT 2 weeks before I took it, scoring 163. I'm considering law school again and planning to take the LSAT in September.

I remember that when I was studying for the test, logic games were getting trickier and logical reasoning questions were getting easier. I wonder in what direction the LSAT sections have evolved in terms of difficulty. I'm assuming the format and question types have remained the same.

Any information on this is much appreciated. Any other related changes (study techniques, study materials, etc.) would also be really helpful. Back in 2010, the 10 preptest collections combined with the Powerscore Bibles were the winning formula.

The tests of the past few years have had some irregular logic games, after a long stretch of very standard games. However, this would only account for one out of the four games - the other three are pretty standard.

Logical reasoning and Reading Comprehension have both gotten a bit tougher, IMO. The LR prompts tend to be longer and more dense than in past years. Reading Comp passages haven't changed much, but the questions are trickier - more tempting wrong answer choices, questions relating to unclear ideas, etc.

I don't mean to make it sound like the test has gotten a lot harder - it hasn't. But there have been some subtle changes that, taken as a whole, have made it slightly more difficult.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 am

Very helpful information - thank you all who have responded! I'll start getting my hands dirty and see if my perception is the same as shared by most. In my ideal world, everything would feel easier... :wink:

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am

Is there any more feedback? In this thread,
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=278760
it seems the consensus is that RC is harder, games are less traditional, and LR has some different types.

Any other thoughts?

Like HiLine,
HiLine wrote: In 2010, I found this incredible forum which helped me tremendously with my LSAT preparation. I ended up deciding not to go to law school at the time
But I'm re-studying now. Thinking of starting a thread specifically to journal my experiences, since it seems relatively unique to study and take the LSAT, then 8 years later (after my score has expired - argh!) come back... btw, it's a really surreal experience. I digress.

Any input on how people have seen the test change, e.g. from 50 up til now, is useful. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”