The Official September 2016 Study Group - WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

After I pass the LSAT I'm going to....

get a little sauced.
32%
spark up.
6%
apply to law school.
25%
polish that personal statement i've been sitting on since the 2014 cycle.
12%
vegas.
10%
cry.
15%

Total votes: 119

amta

Platinum

The Official September 2016 Study Group - WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS

Post by amta » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:10 pm

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL SEPTEMBER 2016 LSAT STUDY SESH!

Test Dates
-Saturday, September 24, 2016
-Monday, September 26, 2016 (Sabbath Observers ONLY)

Deadlines
Registration
-UNPUBLISHED TCs: August 3, 2016
-LATE Registration: August 17, 2016

Change
-TC Change: August 30, 2016
-Test Date Change: August 30, 2016
-Registration Refund (Partial): August 30, 2016
-Registration Withdraw: September 23, 2016 (September 25 for Sabbath Observers)

Score Release*
-By Email: October 20, 2016
-By Mail: October 27, 2016
*Subject to Early Release

HOW TO REGISTER (Link)

RESOURCES
Top-Law-Schools.com General Resources
-Abbreviations and Jargon
-Search Function
-Chances Threads (Search First)
-TLS Wiki (Rankings, Profiles, Facts)
-Class of 2018 Numbers (Thank You, Rigo!)

LSAT Resources
-Study Guides
-Prep Course Compendium
-7Sage - Free Logic Games Help
-HINT: The 7sage iPhone app is great for scoring and timing sections or PTs.

Books (I like)
-The Bibles
-The Trainer
-Real LSATs

PT Designations

Relaxation
-River
-Rain
-Meditation

My Thread, My Rules
1. Don't be a DICK.
2. Thick skin, please.
3. If you're asking if you should retake, YOU SHOULD.
4. Use the resources.
5. You have to wake up early.
6. Don't pawn your old shit here.
*I'll probably add more later.

PAST POLES

Study Hard! Points DO Matter.
Last edited by amta on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 18 times in total.

ngogirl12

Silver

Re: The Official September 2016 Study Group

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:11 pm

^^i thought you were doing June?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:12 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:^^i thought you were doing June?
Maybe. September looking more likely with each passing day though.

sephora_addict

Bronze

Post by sephora_addict » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Rigo wrote:
Hate to say that sometimes I feel like i'd be better off taking it in September. Hoping though that doesn't have to happen. I will most likely lurk on this thread though :P

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
Oh! I'm still going for June even though I'm not where I want to be curriculumwise..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 am

might be here if this cycle doesn't turn out the way I want it to. happy studying! :mrgreen:

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Rigo wrote:
^

beybb

New

Post by beybb » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 pm

not sure if this is the right place to post this or if i'll get in trouble so please do forgive me:

trying to sell my 9 powerscore books for a fair price. selling all 3 bibles, all 3 workbooks and all 3 game type training.

originally bought the set for $400, honestly just looking for a fair price. the bibles have minimal writing and highlighting (not even read all the way through) and the workbooks are not even opened.

asking for $250 for all of them. not looking to sell individually. these were a huge help and now i don't need them anymore! i'm moving from undergrad to law school in the fall and i don't know what to do with these giant books other than get them to someone who could use them. best of luck to everyone studying, you can do this!

lawyeringenginerd

New

Post by lawyeringenginerd » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi all!

Just joined the forum today. I am currently working as an engineer and thinking about going to law school for patent law. I know it's a life changer. My plan is to study for the LSAT anyways and see what schools I can get in to see if the change is worth it. I am targeting apply for 2017 school year.

Currently, I have no plans to take a LSAT prep course. Is there a consensus on a list of "MUST HAVE" books? I am going by reviews on Amazon. I am definitely going to buy all the actual LSAT tests books. In addition, I am considering the following books base on the reviews:

1. The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim
2. LSAT Premier by Kaplan
3. The PowerScore logic games, logical reasoning, and reading comprehension books.

My weakest area I feel is reading comprehension. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:44 pm

LSAT Trainer is good stuff. I gave myself only a month to study, after some research chose that book as my sole study tool, and I walked away with a 170. It explained everything very clearly, and I felt confident that any issues I had with any sections were due to my shortcomings. I'd especially swear by his Logic Games section - my last two weeks I didn't miss a single question on any PT Games questions.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Holodigm wrote:LSAT Trainer is good stuff. I gave myself only a month to study, after some research chose that book as my sole study tool, and I walked away with a 170. It explained everything very clearly, and I felt confident that any issues I had with any sections were due to my shortcomings. I'd especially swear by his Logic Games section - my last two weeks I didn't miss a single question on any PT Games questions.
Can I ask what was your diagnostic and did it help with reading comp?

nerdylsat

Bronze

Post by nerdylsat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:45 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:
Holodigm wrote:LSAT Trainer is good stuff. I gave myself only a month to study, after some research chose that book as my sole study tool, and I walked away with a 170. It explained everything very clearly, and I felt confident that any issues I had with any sections were due to my shortcomings. I'd especially swear by his Logic Games section - my last two weeks I didn't miss a single question on any PT Games questions.
I'd bet he had a diagnostic in the 160s.

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:29 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:
Diagnostic was either 161 or 162, I can't remember, but honestly it felt a little like beginner's luck - after the diagnostic I immediately dipped down to 156 (which feels much more accurate) and had to work my way up from there. It definitely helped with all sections, so yes to reading comp. I will say that his sections on reading comp were definitely less rigid and defined than LG or LR, while still structured - he was mainly focused on getting you to understand not what the statements were, but how they were made. I can't speak for other books, but I only got 2 wrong on the day (compared to 6+ on most early PTs) so it worked for me. LR was what killed me, mainly because I didn't put the time in necessary to fully comprehend each kind of question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Checking in.

PT'ing around 167-171 right now. Hoping to get that above 175 by September through a summer of studying.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm in for September.

I look forward to learning from you guys. So far I'm going to start the LSAT Trainer in two weeks, and do the 16-week program, which will leave me with a couple months to PT after that and really focus on my weaknesses.

BTW, what are you guys doing this early outside of LSAT prep? Meaning, what are doing with your timeline for applying to schools? I figure this early I would register for an LSAC account and CAS. Maybe start hitting up a couple professors for letters. What else should I be doing this early?

Good luck guys!

lawyeringenginerd

New

Post by lawyeringenginerd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:45 am

Holodigm wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:
Diagnostic was either 161 or 162, I can't remember, but honestly it felt a little like beginner's luck - after the diagnostic I immediately dipped down to 156 (which feels much more accurate) and had to work my way up from there. It definitely helped with all sections, so yes to reading comp. I will say that his sections on reading comp were definitely less rigid and defined than LG or LR, while still structured - he was mainly focused on getting you to understand not what the statements were, but how they were made. I can't speak for other books, but I only got 2 wrong on the day (compared to 6+ on most early PTs) so it worked for me. LR was what killed me, mainly because I didn't put the time in necessary to fully comprehend each kind of question.
Cool thanks a lot man! That was exactly the book I got. I got a 149 in my diagnostics. My problem was being way too slow. I finished only 2/3 of the test. An encouraging sign is that, of the ones I did finish, I got most of the questions correct. I just need to practice, practice, and practice. I am doing 20 - 30 practice problems a day, I am starting to see a pattern with the questions. I am getting more comfortable with them. Most of my mistakes is not reading the questions and answer choices carefully enough, every little word make a huge difference!

What's everybody's application timelines? I'm working full-time right now. I plan to tidy up my resume and start putting together my "application package". I am thinking of asking a Sr. Patent Counsel at work and a Chair in the Eng. Department who knew me pretty well for recs. When should be a good time to ask them for recs? I went to UCLA for Undergrad and Grad. I am hoping I can go back to UCLA because I loved my time there so much. I am shooting for a 170. Hopefully I can get there with practice.

Good luck everyone!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:33 pm

O.J. wrote:I'm in for September.

I look forward to learning from you guys. So far I'm going to start the LSAT Trainer in two weeks, and do the 16-week program, which will leave me with a couple months to PT after that and really focus on my weaknesses.

BTW, what are you guys doing this early outside of LSAT prep? Meaning, what are doing with your timeline for applying to schools? I figure this early I would register for an LSAC account and CAS. Maybe start hitting up a couple professors for letters. What else should I be doing this early?

Good luck guys!
If I decide to retake in September, I'm gonna use the couple months before summer to leisure read books on the fine arts and african-american history. those are the passages that tend to give me the most trouble on the LSAT, so I think familiarizing myself with the subjects would help. RC is also my worst section and pretty much kept me from breaking into the 170s during PTs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

lawyeringenginerd wrote: Cool thanks a lot man! That was exactly the book I got. I got a 149 in my diagnostics. My problem was being way too slow. I finished only 2/3 of the test. An encouraging sign is that, of the ones I did finish, I got most of the questions correct. I just need to practice, practice, and practice. I am doing 20 - 30 practice problems a day, I am starting to see a pattern with the questions. I am getting more comfortable with them. Most of my mistakes is not reading the questions and answer choices carefully enough, every little word make a huge difference!

What's everybody's application timelines? I'm working full-time right now. I plan to tidy up my resume and start putting together my "application package". I am thinking of asking a Sr. Patent Counsel at work and a Chair in the Eng. Department who knew me pretty well for recs. When should be a good time to ask them for recs? I went to UCLA for Undergrad and Grad. I am hoping I can go back to UCLA because I loved my time there so much. I am shooting for a 170. Hopefully I can get there with practice.

Good luck everyone!

It's definitely a good idea to get a head start on having your application ready. If you're confident about who to ask for recs, there's no harm in asking them sooner than later. If you set up an LSAC account, they can send their letters directly to LSAC, who will have them ready to send out whenever you choose.

Law schools are generally looking for academic recommendations over job-related ones. They want to measure your value as a student. I would try asking another professor you knew in addition to that person in the English dept. Remember, the recommender's status or position doesn't matter - what does matter is that they knew you well and would be able/willing to write a good recommendation.

If you've been working post-school for a few years, a recommendation from an employer is a great idea, so I'd ask that person for one as well. Schools generally take a minimum of 2 recommendations, so 2 academic recs plus that employer rec would serve you well.

lawyeringenginerd

New

Post by lawyeringenginerd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
lawyeringenginerd wrote: Cool thanks a lot man! That was exactly the book I got. I got a 149 in my diagnostics. My problem was being way too slow. I finished only 2/3 of the test. An encouraging sign is that, of the ones I did finish, I got most of the questions correct. I just need to practice, practice, and practice. I am doing 20 - 30 practice problems a day, I am starting to see a pattern with the questions. I am getting more comfortable with them. Most of my mistakes is not reading the questions and answer choices carefully enough, every little word make a huge difference!

Good luck everyone!

It's definitely a good idea to get a head start on having your application ready. If you're confident about who to ask for recs, there's no harm in asking them sooner than later. If you set up an LSAC account, they can send their letters directly to LSAC, who will have them ready to send out whenever you choose.

Law schools are generally looking for academic recommendations over job-related ones. They want to measure your value as a student. I would try asking another professor you knew in addition to that person in the English dept. Remember, the recommender's status or position doesn't matter - what does matter is that they knew you well and would be able/willing to write a good recommendation.

If you've been working post-school for a few years, a recommendation from an employer is a great idea, so I'd ask that person for one as well. Schools generally take a minimum of 2 recommendations, so 2 academic recs plus that employer rec would serve you well.
Thanks! Quick clarification Eng. means Engineering in this case. Sorry for the confusion! Will ask for recs early in this case!

Jrice4854

New

Post by Jrice4854 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Hey guys! I am on board for the September LSAT. I took it for the first time June 2015. I never looked over anything, had no clue what I was doing and ended up with a 149. I graduated with my Bachelor's in December 2015 and plan on working full time up until Fall 2017 when I start law school. I am shooting for a 165-170 & plan on doing tutoring classes as well as studying on my own. Hopefully I can dedicate myself enough to raise it that much. I don't have any specific place I want to go other than to whoever gives me more money so I'm not drowning myself in debt!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Has anyone seen my goddamn teacup?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hinton2014

New

Post by hinton2014 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey all!

I just made my account today, but I too am in for the September test date. Currently have 3 more semesters left in my undergrad, but feel like this summer will be the best for me to put in some serious studying. Hope everyone is well

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:11 pm

hi !

joining in as well. I scored a 163 on the Dec LSAT :( and aiming for a 170.
I screwed up on games and reading comp.
does anyone have any suggestions that they have for RC?

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:33 pm

also anyone have study plans yet?

hinton2014

New

Post by hinton2014 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:36 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:also anyone have study plans yet?
hey! yeah, I'm using the four month study plan created by PowerScore. They suggest getting their Bible trilogy as well as the LSAC SuperPrep book

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”