Velocity LSAT Protests (Merged) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hondars112

New

Velocity LSAT Protests (Merged)

Post by hondars112 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 am

MOD EDIT: One thread per topic. All threads on this topic have been merged into this one. Don't make more new threads about this.

I have been a long time lurker here, but recently joined. I just wanted to share my experience with Velocity LSAT in case someone is on the fence on joining. I found the free lessons offered extremely helpful so I decided to join the Comprehensive course and after finishing the first two lessons of Logical reasoning and the first lesson of Reading Comp, needless to say, i was very disappointed. I know that some swear by the Methodology taught by Velocity and the free lessons are impressive, but the lessons are not for several reasons. First, Dave Hall does not explain the reasoning behind the answers only that its wrong (in the free lessons they are much more comprehensive). Secondly, i find it very difficult distinguishing on which one is the correct answer because the videos fail to provide the answers sometimes before the videos are over, luckily i have access to some of my previous preptest and i can check my answers. After 13 days i requested a refund because i decided to take Testmasters instead, after patiently waiting and 2 emails later, Dave Hall denied my request because of majority of positive feedback for his site from former students. If anyone is planning on joining a prep course be advised to check to see if they have a refund policy, Velocity does not (at least not explicitly). I just wanted to share my experience. I found 7Sage prep course to be much more helpful and cheaper. Testmasters Course just started for me, i will give my feedback when i finish it, so far i am very pleased with it.
Last edited by hondars112 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

desiballa21

Bronze

Re: My (personal) experience with Velocity LSAT

Post by desiballa21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 am

I took Velocity as well. I went from terrible on LG to perfect usually. I agree though it lacks on LR. Some help on main conclusion questions some flaw types but didn't see any real increase.

MsAvocadoPit

Bronze

Post by MsAvocadoPit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 am

I really liked using Velocity, but I used it more as a self study aid since I've already taken Testmaster's full length course. I used the Practice Test portion of it the most, with the video explanations. I also used a good portion of the LR material. I reviewed LR rather briefly tho, not going through the entire digital textbook, but I reviewed all the flaw types etc, which I really liked how it was organized. I skipped LG completely, already had -0 with my own learned processes (powerscore bibles/testmasters strategies). Velocity RC was helpful, wish I spent more time on it, but I really enjoyed having RC video explanations, it helped me a lot because I detested reviewing incorrect RC questions (yuck!).

It's because of Velocity I started reading the Q stem first, and for my LR order of 1-14, 25-13 (backwards). Which I believe has helped me speed up!

I do see what you mean about LR questions not being fully explained to death... which is why Testmaster's might help you, you can ask all your questions in person! In the PT video explanations that I used, I felt Dave read and summarized the stimulus in a way that helped make the correct answer more clear, so it did not really require him to go over ever wrong answer. I noticed on tricky LR questions he'd tend to go over the sucker (wrong) choices as well.

All in all, happy with using it. If you can't get a refund, use it as a study resource anyway? Don't waste it!

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 am

Thanks for the advice MsAvocadoPit, but i have already cancelled my Velocity LSAT account (Without a refund-Refund declined). I am going to follow strictly with Testmasters prep course, My testmasters instructor advised me that doing two courses simultaneously can make it more difficult for an individual to practice for the LSAT. Moreover, I did not find the Velocity lessons helpful. Someone else may find Velocity helpful, i don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that velocity is horrible, because its not. I just wish that Velocity was more clear on their refund policy because its unstated, i found it deceptive.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am

MsAvocadoPit wrote: I felt Dave read and summarized the stimulus in a way that helped make the correct answer more clear,
This isn't a knock against Dave or Velocity at all, but I just wanted to point out that any decent instructor can summarize a stimulus in a way that makes the correct answer obvious. That's not particularly helpful, however - you need an instructor who can show YOU how to read and summarize the stimulus without outside input so that the correct answer is obvious.

I haven't seen enough of Dave's videos to know if he does this, but I just wanted to point out that that is the metric anyone considering a class should apply to the instructor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Great point bp shinners

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:26 pm

bp shinners wrote:
MsAvocadoPit wrote: I felt Dave read and summarized the stimulus in a way that helped make the correct answer more clear,
This isn't a knock against Dave or Velocity at all, but I just wanted to point out that any decent instructor can summarize a stimulus in a way that makes the correct answer obvious. That's not particularly helpful, however - you need an instructor who can show YOU how to read and summarize the stimulus without outside input so that the correct answer is obvious.

I haven't seen enough of Dave's videos to know if he does this, but I just wanted to point out that that is the metric anyone considering a class should apply to the instructor.
Absolutely. Everyone knows walking through the door that the instructors, as top scorers, can do the stuff, but that's not the point at all. Students aren't paying to be dazzled by the instructor's knowledge and logical stylings...they're paying to learn how to do it themselves. I have no idea how well Dave does with this either, but as an instructor, I just wanted to second Shinners' opinion, here.

hondars112

New

Avoid Velocity LSAT prep course

Post by hondars112 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm

I wish i never signed up with this prep course, they stole my money, the courses were not helpful, the free videos they offer is much more comprehensive then the whole course they offer, just videos full of foul language and non existent explanations. It was so terrible i cancelled my membership early and signed up with a different course. Even Kaplan LSAT was better than Velocity. Stick with Powerscore, Testmasters. Just my 2 cents.

Kurst

Bronze

Re: Avoid Velocity LSAT prep course

Post by Kurst » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:56 pm

hondars112 wrote:I wish i never signed up with this prep course, they stole my money, the courses were not helpful, the free videos they offer is much more comprehensive then the whole course they offer, just videos full of foul language and non existent explanations. It was so terrible i cancelled my membership early and signed up with a different course. Even Kaplan LSAT was better than Velocity. Stick with Powerscore, Testmasters. Just my 2 cents.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=195627

Do you work for Testmasters?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm

You certainly have a right to share your opinion, but as a very satisfied Velocity customer I can't help but post my differing experience.

I couldn't crack 170 before I took Velocity's course, which helped me score in the high 99th percentile on a retake last year. I'm now happily waiting to see how this cycle shakes out. Can't tell you how good it feels to know that wherever I end up going, I'll be making a choice based on an array of options that reflect my true abilities.

I highly highly recommend Dave and Velocity and would be happy to share more via PM (though I don't login very frequently so please don't lose hope if I'm slow in responding).

Best of luck to you all whatever you do.

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Nope don't work for Testmasters, but after my bad experience with Velocity, i enrolled in Testmasters, not happy with my instructor but course is helpful. I would recommend trying the online course because you can save money but some people are more motivated by a instructor (live). Whatever works for you. 7Sage, is also good they seem to have a great explanations, i would try them out if you are on the budget. I am sick of all the Hype that is created on here about Velocity course, filled with fake accounts. I just wanted to share my opinion.

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Just want to offer my experience because I think Velocity really made the difference for me.

Biggest area I needed help was LG, and Velocity really delivered.

However it was also great for LR, at least for me. I was already scoring very well on LR but couldn't seem to make the jump from -2 or -3 per section to a confident -1 or -0.

BP Shinners and others are correct -- any good instructor, and perhaps any articulate high scoring person -- should be able to explain a specific question.

Velocity however taught me to see the patterns WITHIN the question types with new clarity. This made it easier to breeze through easy questions without thinking giving me time to deal with the hardest questions, which I also found easier.

After watching Velocity's test explanations and thinking about them carefully, I found that good performance was no longer dependent on my energy level or having good luck with encountering easy questions.

Anyway, just noticed a couple of Velocity-critical threads on here today and in light of the huge difference it made for me I cannot help but respond. HIGHLY recommend it.

hondars112

New

Avoid Velocity LSAT

Post by hondars112 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 am

I was fooled to join this so called LSAT prep company, i must say their course is deceptive and not complete. Most videos are filled with foul language and comic acts. If you want to pay to get entertained, this is the company for you, if you want to learn properly and score well i would not recommend this company. I joined it because of some of the praise on here but regret it considerably and they will not refund. Keep this in mind.

Best

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Re: Avoid Velocity LSAT

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 am

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/searc ... 3&sr=posts

All your posts are negative about prep companies other than 7sage (not just negative, but plugging 7sage), and you posted this just a couple days after the october LSAT:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6#p5943716
hondars112 wrote:I have been a long time lurker here, but recently joined. I just wanted to share my experience with Velocity LSAT in case someone is on the fence on joining. I found the free lessons offered extremely helpful so I decided to join the Comprehensive course and after finishing the first two lessons of Logical reasoning and the first lesson of Reading Comp, needless to say, i was very disappointed. I know that some swear by the Methodology taught by Velocity and the free lessons are impressive, but the lessons are not for several reasons. First, Dave Hall does not explain the reasoning behind the answers only that its wrong (in the free lessons they are much more comprehensive). Secondly, i find it very difficult distinguishing on which one is the correct answer because the videos fail to provide the answers sometimes before the videos are over, luckily i have access to some of my previous preptest and i can check my answers. After 13 days i requested a refund because i decided to take Testmasters instead, after patiently waiting and 2 emails later, Dave Hall denied my request because of majority of positive feedback for his site from former students. If anyone is planning on joining a prep course be advised to check to see if they have a refund policy, Velocity does not (at least not explicitly). I just wanted to share my experience. I found 7Sage prep course to be much more helpful and cheaper. Testmasters Course just started for me, i will give my feedback when i finish it, so far i am very pleased with it.
I'm no ace detective, but I'm curious why you registered just a few days after June LSAT to post negative things about prep companies, then posted again a few days after the october LSAT, strongly negative about other prep companies, then posted a few days after the december lsat, negative about other prep companies.

GGforLSAT

New

Post by GGforLSAT » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 am

I took Velocity LSAT and I found it somewhat helpful. I bought it after withdrawing early from the October test, and found that it gave me some new direction with my studying. I hit a plateau and I think it helped me get past that. As with any course, it's not going to get you a 180 or even a 170 by itself. That requires a lot of self-study on the side. But they did offer helpful tips. The language was fine in my point of view. He takes a less formal approach, but I don't think it interferes with the course.

The course was complete in the sense that he provided his strategies for each section in full; however, I wish he gave more videos concerning the application of his strategies to specific problems. He gives a lot already, but I just wanted more.

GGforLSAT

New

Post by GGforLSAT » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 am

cahwc12 wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/searc ... 3&sr=posts

All your posts are negative about prep companies other than 7sage (not just negative, but plugging 7sage), and you posted this just a couple days after the october LSAT:

hondars112 wrote:I have been a long time lurker here, but recently joined. I just wanted to share my experience with Velocity LSAT in case someone is on the fence on joining. I found the free lessons offered extremely helpful so I decided to join the Comprehensive course and after finishing the first two lessons of Logical reasoning and the first lesson of Reading Comp, needless to say, i was very disappointed. I know that some swear by the Methodology taught by Velocity and the free lessons are impressive, but the lessons are not for several reasons. First, Dave Hall does not explain the reasoning behind the answers only that its wrong (in the free lessons they are much more comprehensive). Secondly, i find it very difficult distinguishing on which one is the correct answer because the videos fail to provide the answers sometimes before the videos are over, luckily i have access to some of my previous preptest and i can check my answers. After 13 days i requested a refund because i decided to take Testmasters instead, after patiently waiting and 2 emails later, Dave Hall denied my request because of majority of positive feedback for his site from former students. If anyone is planning on joining a prep course be advised to check to see if they have a refund policy, Velocity does not (at least not explicitly). I just wanted to share my experience. I found 7Sage prep course to be much more helpful and cheaper. Testmasters Course just started for me, i will give my feedback when i finish it, so far i am very pleased with it.
I'm no ace detective, but I'm curious why you registered just a few days after June LSAT to post negative things about prep companies, then posted again a few days after the october LSAT, strongly negative about other prep companies, then posted a few days after the december lsat, negative about other prep companies.
Nice work detective! Maybe he's really butthurt.

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 am

Just sharing my experience i had in the 1 year of time i invested in prep for the LSAT in my journey to my score objective.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 am

I just want to add to what the last post was speculating. I am by no means advocating 7Sage or any other company, quite honestly through self study i was able to boost my score significantly, however i wanted to join a prep course to strengthen my knowledge of the test that i might have overlooked. In light of this, i thought that the free videos of Velocity provided me of what the course was going to be like, but i was wrong the free videos provide much more insight on conditionals, flaws etc. then the lesson videos combined. If you wish to join to find this out on your own and disregard my comments by all means feel free. Just remember that they will not refund and have no refund policy (at least not stated explicitly).

Best

cahwc12 wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/searc ... 3&sr=posts

red52

Bronze

Post by red52 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 am

prep courses..... not even once.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:52 am

strongly disagree with the OP's pov.

IMO, Velocity has an excellent program, particularly the games. I also found Manhattan (Noah is a star, as is Manhattan's new 3rd ed of its games) extremely helpful. (And I'd easily recommend either or both over the Powerscore Bibles.)

omegaomega

New

Post by omegaomega » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Wormfather wrote:Velocity helped me crush the games section. While some of my peers struggled to find inferences, the Velocity stray allowed me to just focus and plod through. Brute force style.
agreed. my biggest takeaway from velocity is you don't need to draw up all the frames/templates, or make that particular inference in order to solve the questions. just follow the rules and you'll be fine.

still, new tricks such as zoning still cause me nightmares

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hondars112

New

Prep Course Velocity LSAT?

Post by hondars112 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am

I joined but very disappointed in their course videos, nothing like their free videos.. they don't refund. beware.

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: Prep Course Velocity LSAT?

Post by Cerebro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 am

hondars112 wrote:I joined but very disappointed in their course videos, nothing like their free videos.. they don't refund. beware.
Don't you have anything better to do?

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 am

Velocity lied to Paypal about my dispute and called me a scam artist for asking to get a refund. Don't you think that people should be aware of this. Isn't the whole purpose of this site for discussion.

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 am

Avoid Velocity LSAT with Dave Hall like a plague

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”