February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheThriller

Gold

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by TheThriller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Checking back in after not posting for a few weeks.

Hope everyone is studying hard!

been PTing around the 170-175 range with a few 178s

Just finished up PT57, 175!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:42 pm

TheThriller wrote:Checking back in after not posting for a few weeks.

Damn, that's awesome! What's been your method for getting your scores up? Any tips gained along the way for each section?

I haven't studied almost all of December.. finding it hard to get myself motivated (and yet couldn't stop studying when class was in session!). Need to get started studying again, or I don't know if I'll be able to take the test in February (and I was hoping to have a score for late apps).

Anyone have advice for getting themselves back into the game after burning out and/or losing interest?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

Damn, that's awesome! What's been your method for getting your scores up? Any tips gained along the way for each section?

I haven't studied almost all of December.. finding it hard to get myself motivated (and yet couldn't stop studying when class was in session!). Need to get started studying again, or I don't know if I'll be able to take the test in February (and I was hoping to have a score for late apps).

Anyone have advice for getting themselves back into the game after burning out and/or losing interest?

I don't know how much help I will be but:

I am a June 2012 Retaker (scored a 167) and I am a pretty big splitter so the LSAT is really all I got.

With that being said, the Manhattan RC and LR guide has really helped me out, and in June I used PowerScore (I like their LG breakdown although I use my own strategy now). I have had a lot of time to dissect the test and have taken every PT released at least twice.

When it comes down to it now, I can pretty much tell which answers are wrong and which are right in the LR sections because I am literally so used to how right answers are constructed. If you aren't reading question before stimulus, I would start doing that, as I think it makes a big difference in focusing your attention to find the correct (or wrong) answer/s.

Most of my hiccups come with RC still and it is the section holding me back from big scores. LG I have at -0 which is great. LG is also the portion of the test you can 100% learn and get to -0. This is key to the 160+ score.

If you want to ask me more specific questions, I would be happy to help answer them

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Two things:

1. Watch an episode of suits....or

2. Take a PT. I hate losing, so seeing a score below my goal is enough to motivate me.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm

For those that have already taken PT 44 (OCT 2004), can someone explain why (D) is incorrect for the RC passage about "The Canadian Auto Worker's Legal Services Plan?"

I know this may be time consuming, since you would have to go back and take a look, but I'll be sure to return the favor if I can help you out with something down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:30 pm

TheThriller wrote:

I don't know how much help I will be but:

I am a June 2012 Retaker (scored a 167) and I am a pretty big splitter so the LSAT is really all I got.

With that being said, the Manhattan RC and LR guide has really helped me out, and in June I used PowerScore (I like their LG breakdown although I use my own strategy now). I have had a lot of time to dissect the test and have taken every PT released at least twice.

When it comes down to it now, I can pretty much tell which answers are wrong and which are right in the LR sections because I am literally so used to how right answers are constructed. If you aren't reading question before stimulus, I would start doing that, as I think it makes a big difference in focusing your attention to find the correct (or wrong) answer/s.

Most of my hiccups come with RC still and it is the section holding me back from big scores. LG I have at -0 which is great. LG is also the portion of the test you can 100% learn and get to -0. This is key to the 160+ score.

If you want to ask me more specific questions, I would be happy to help answer them
*Still* haven't finished Manhattan LR, need to do that.. did you do a lot of drilling after reading that? My most recent method was reading a section on a question type, then drilling.. Your comment about being able to recognize what answers are right and wrong makes sense to me. I guess I should keep going with practice tests and drilling and stop worrying about using material under less than ideal conditions- sounds like repetition and familiarity is really key.

I also struggle with RC; my best scores are fine in LR and LG. Have you gone back through Manhattan RC? I've read it once but didn't go back. Also, do you take notes or highlight? Last time I did an RC section, I threw caution to the wind and found I actually did a lot better if I just went without annotation. We'll see if that's still the case... Funny how so many of us struggle with RC- we're a smart bunch, but this damn test!
griffin.811 wrote:
Two things:

2. Take a PT. I hate losing, so seeing a score below my goal is enough to motivate me.
Suits? Haven't seen it, but I'm a TV addict so I'll have to check it out.

And good idea! There's nothing more motivating than a low score.. I'm just worried about wasting practice tests. Still, I guess doing less than my best on a single practice test beats out letting days go without studying.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:52 pm

griffin.811 wrote:For those that have already taken PT 44 (OCT 2004), can someone explain why (D) is incorrect for the RC passage about "The Canadian Auto Worker's Legal Services Plan?"

I know this may be time consuming, since you would have to go back and take a look, but I'll be sure to return the favor if I can help you out with something down the road.
Go on Manhattan LSAT and they have explanations for nearly every question
http://www.manhattanlsat.com/blog/index ... lanations/

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Oh man, I shouldn't have taken that tip to watch Suits. I'm halfway through the first season but haven't done any LSAT prep! The show is actually kind of motivating though.. On a related note, how many people here think they want to workin big law? (Is that a silly questions on this site?)

Think I'll finally take that getting-back-in-the-game PT this afternoon. Will post results later.

How's everyone else coming along?

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Oh man, I shouldn't have taken that tip to watch Suits. I'm halfway through the first season but haven't done any LSAT prep! The show is actually kind of motivating though.. On a related note, how many people here think they want to workin big law? (Is that a silly questions on this site?)

Think I'll finally take that getting-back-in-the-game PT this afternoon. Will post results later.

How's everyone else coming along?
Hahaha the show will do that to you. Hulu and netflix make it too easy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlyHigh

New

Post by FlyHigh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Anyone game for PT49 on Friday?

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Anyone game for PT49 on Friday?
I just did 49 ,if u wanna chat w me about it i am open.
Lol,just saw how people in Dec got higher scores and got jealous ,so i need to kick ass .

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm

griffin.811 wrote:

Two things:

Like that,lets kick ass in feb,170 and up,honestly drilling and tests,good luck to everyone.

lawschoolplease1

Bronze

Post by lawschoolplease1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

i was feeling so burnt out/frustrated today that I took the day off watching arrested development.
Hoping to start everything up tomorrow with a fresh perspective!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Strongly considering retaking in Feb. if I can get into the test center I want...

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm

2nd PT (and 1st 5 section PT):

PrepTest A

RS: 91/101
SS: 169

LR: -4
LRX: -3
LR2: -4
LG: -1
RC: -1

Pretty surprising I went from -7 on RC during my first PT and -1 on this one. LR was total -5 wrong last time and -8 this time. Going to drill LR and re-read some of the Manhattan LR book tomorrow. Maybe re-do some game types as well.

Going to do PT49 on Friday, so maybe we can discuss Friday afternoon EST?

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Checking in. Today i took my first timed PT since my official test back in February 2012 and scored less than my official score. Not too far off, but it was a reality check. Gonna have to work very hard to get that elusive 170. Good luck to you all. Happy drilling.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 pm

How is everyone drilling/reviewing LR!?!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm

What time u guys planning on reviewing PT 49? I was planning on taking it tomorrow.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Have another session of my Manhattan Online course tonight. Still haven't done a full PT since getting my October score of 162 back. I'm hoping to do one this weekend. After taking some time off to clear my mind I feel really good about my studying. For anyone who has hit a wall and really struggling, I strongly suggest taking a few days off from studying. When I was going hard for my October studying, almost all of my best scores came after I hadn't studied in a few days from vacation/being lazy.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Checking in... 3 straight days of up before 6:00AM to get 3+ hours of work in...

June 07 PT tomorrow, and then I start my every 3rd day = PT day routine. And all my PTs will have an extra section from another PT tacked on as well for endurance

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Took PT 43 yesterday and I'm not pleased at all with my score. There were a lot of distractions and noise in my house so I guess I'm not to surprised. Felt pretty awful about the test even before I finished it, especially RC.

PT 43
RC: -8
LR1: -3

Raw Score: 85
Scaled Score: 167

Got assraped by RC and I knew I would. Made a lot of dumb mistakes in LR that I definitely shouldn't have. LGs were a breeze and finshed witih some time to spare and was surprised to see that i had missed 1. Really wasn't focused while taking this test and it really hurt me. Need to drill some RC and make some improvements.

If anyone wants to review on any test just PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 am

I'm doing PT 49 tomorrow. We can discuss if others are interested?

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 pm

PT 49

LR1: -3
LRX: -5
RC: -4

RS :88/100
SS: 168

This test owned me. I was slow and fatigued. That maize passage was awful and I took up a ridiculous amount of time on one of the games. How'd you guys do? Going to do a thorough review of this one.

Also, since my last three PTs were 88, 91, 88 (166, 169, 168), I think it's time to chill out on the PTing for a few days and drill baby drill. I swear the high 160 plateau is the WORST. At least at the 172/173 plateau when you're trying to hit high 170s you're already in the 170 range :D

I'm game for group review on this one too.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Doing review and drilling,managed to reduce my Lr from -5 to -1,and Rc from -10 to -6 ,still some things to be done ,missed a month not studying ,my score went down,everybody keep working hard.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Hey guys,

reviewing PT49, I have a q for you. It is from LR1, q 7, the sufficient assumption question.

Here is how I diagrammed it:

Finf---> R

Fins --> ~Finf

Fins --> STOE

I understand that (E) is right because Fins --> ~Finf --> STOE and that this is the "missing link" of the sufficient assumption q.

However, what about ~R ---> ~Finf? Does it not follow that

~R --> ~Finf --> STOE

Maybe I've been LSATing for too many hours today. I got the question right but found (B) interesting.

As a general aside: how many of you diagram SA qs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”