The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ApokalypseX

New

Re: The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers

Post by ApokalypseX » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Stupid question: Should I be timing myself when I drill these books? (if not specified in the book)

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

ApokalypseX wrote:Stupid question: Should I be timing myself when I drill these books? (if not specified in the book)
I can't speak for Noodley, but what I plan on doing is after I read the chapter doing one or two sections untimed so I can work on strategy, then doing the rest of the drills timed.

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 am

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:14 am

applemaroon wrote:Hey Noodley, for the Cambridge LR by type, do you recommend drilling all the questions for each type before moving onto the next type, or should I do like 20 questions from each type everytime I drill? Thanks!
Do it until mastery. Basically, if you're crushing NA and don't feel that doing more will help, move on.

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:04 am

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zeta

New

Post by Zeta » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

bumpy knuckles.

ranga93

New

Post by ranga93 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Hey noodley,
So with about a week and a half left till December, I was wondering if you had any last minute advice about what to do the week before the test. I'm taking a couple tests this week, but then I think I want to just heavily review and take one test next wednesday, and then look to take it. Any last minute tips?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:14 pm

applemaroon wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
applemaroon wrote:Hey Noodley, for the Cambridge LR by type, do you recommend drilling all the questions for each type before moving onto the next type, or should I do like 20 questions from each type everytime I drill? Thanks!
Do it until mastery. Basically, if you're crushing NA and don't feel that doing more will help, move on.

So I guess what I'm trying to decide is, do I drill purely NA until mastery, or do I mix it up and drill five different types at once (until I master all of them)? Sorry if this makes no sense....Thanks!
IME, it was helpful to drill each LR question type then move on to drilling sections once you've completed MLR.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:46 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
applemaroon wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

So I guess what I'm trying to decide is, do I drill purely NA until mastery, or do I mix it up and drill five different types at once (until I master all of them)? Sorry if this makes no sense....Thanks!
IME, it was helpful to drill each LR question type then move on to drilling sections once you've completed MLR.
Where should the sections for drilling come from, which PTs?

As advised by Noodley, I was hoping to save the PTs from the 40s-60s for full-timed exams and use PTs 1-39 or so for drilling just by type.

I prefer not to use the same questions I'm drilling by type for section drilling. How do you prevent overlap? I fear it can be counterintuitive where I remember an answer to a question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zeta

New

Post by Zeta » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:33 am

bumpy knuckles

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:16 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
When drilling, what do you look for? For instance, Ive been drilling NA questions. Ive figured out the question wording associated with the question type, and have been doing okay, but how do you know youve mastered a q-type?

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Noodley-- my biggest problem is pacing. I'm not able to finish things on time. (Just a couple questions) and it's really making me rush at the end. Thoughts on pacing? Does it just come over time?

Zeta

New

Post by Zeta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:40 pm

While going through the Bible focus more on diagramming and less on their definitions of games categories. I’m of the opinion that their focus on sub-categories is more distracting than helpful, but other than that I like a lot of their diagramming strategies.
about this, why do you feel that the focus on sub-categorization is distracting? isn't it important to be able to identify the game type in order to know how to approach it?
should i not be incorporating the categorization into my note taking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 am

This thread has new relevance after I bombed LG today (a section that I thought had mastered). Time to get back on it!

Power Clean

New

Post by Power Clean » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:45 pm

New member here, as of monday this week when I decided to withdraw from Dec test date and discovered this forum (PTing in the high 160s/low 170s after a summer TestMasters course, but wanting higher). Is drilling out of the recommended Cambridge books the equivalent of simply buying all available PTs and drilling LG/LR questions by type (like the breakdowns found in Pithypike's thread)? I'm thinking of purchasing all available PTs and using them over the 6-10 months I have until I test, first by breaking down older tests by type and using them as I go through my new powerscore books, and then moving on to using more modern tests as full length PTs. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this.

I also just purchased all 3 power score books. From what I've gleamed from reading so far, it seems the Manhattan comes widely recommended as of late - especially insofar as their LR book. I'm considering getting this and using it conjunction with the Powerscore book. As for RC, everyone seems to say something different, so I figure at the end of the day the Powerscore will get me on the right track, as there are no universal methods to teaching or approaching in this section. Thoughts?

Thanks Noodley, all your posts I've seen thus far have been very helpful and informative.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Zeta wrote:
While going through the Bible focus more on diagramming and less on their definitions of games categories. I’m of the opinion that their focus on sub-categories is more distracting than helpful, but other than that I like a lot of their diagramming strategies.
about this, why do you feel that the focus on sub-categorization is distracting? isn't it important to be able to identify the game type in order to know how to approach it?
should i not be incorporating the categorization into my note taking?
I feel that categorization makes sense, in as such recognizing that such-and-such is a grouping game, etc. I think realizing that a game is unbalanced, defined, etc... at that point it becomes a distraction and could be time-consuming.

There is a caveat with my LG advice. That was a very easy section for me to learn. I was able to consistently get to -0 without any bookwork, and only did some after my first test to reinforce diagramming. So keep that in mind.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:34 am

Noodley, why the change in pictures?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 am

Nm...I found thread. I would have gone with the george clinton mug shot personally but nice choice.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the guide, Feb retake!
Last edited by eav1277 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomThompson

New

Post by TomThompson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

eav1277 wrote:Noodley, why the change in pictures?
The change really confused me. I had this picture of noodley1 being some old jamaican dude with dreads, lighting up while destroying pt's.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Checking in...

Zeta

New

Post by Zeta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm

i believe that was a picture of the godfather of soul after an especially hard working nite in show business.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 am

Zeta wrote:i believe that was a picture of the godfather of soul after an especially hard working nite in show business.
I find this explanation quite eloquent.

klaudiaxo

New

Post by klaudiaxo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:14 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote: How long did you personally take to get from the mid 160s to the 180?

How can we gauge our progress the week before the test? For example some of us were testing in the mid-170s but then got a score in the 160s.
The plateau from the high 160s to the high 170s is probably the steepest, at least to be testing there consistently. I think one of the things that helped me was the review sessions we had, where we would discuss questions in depth. At the high 160s you know the test pretty well, but to get to the high 170s I think you need to know the test at a different level. Basically, you need to know it well enough to teach it. I would recommend encouraging people with a wide score range to come to your review sessions. Explaining even more basic problems to them will be a big help to you. I'm not entirely altruistic ;).

One last thing, for games you find tricky. Remember 7sage has all of his videos on youtube, and I think the lsatblog site has all the videos for games on their site as well. Seeing the thought process on both simple and hard games from high test takers is a huge advantage, and a resource that shouldn't be ignored. Also, talk to the geeks that post on here or Manhattan's forums and Shinners who gives explanations to individual questions. You may ultimately have a different path to the right answer, but understanding the thought process of these guys will let you see the level that they are thinking on.

Edit: As far as gauging performance, I think a lot of what trips people who score below their PT is mental. You go in full of nerves and butterflies, and you forget that this is just another PT. Going in with that mindset helped me a lot on my retake. Also, I would suggest retaking PT 67 to reinforce that just before the test. Know deep down that there is nothing different between this and the 40 other PTs you've probably taken.

Hi Noodley,

I was also wondering baout a study schedule and exactly how you spaced out the material. I will be taking the June 2013 LSAT for the first time and I have about 5 months until then. Thanks :)

snova

New

Post by snova » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Very helpful.Thx

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:11 am

Just wanted to say, thanks for the help, it's still not June, but your advice has really helped me advance to the more subtle notes in the LSAT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”