The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AOT

Gold

Re: The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers

Post by AOT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm all over this. Will be retaking in June, after scoring a 167 in December. I have used up a lot of the materials (drilled most of the games 1-39 and done most PT's over 50) but hopefully going through everything again systematically will help me. Went down -10 in the games, and still haven't worked out how to get over all the silly mistakes I'm making. Really hoping the next 4 months will give me some confidence and clarity.

Open question: how long do you retakers spend studying per week? I was thinking maybe 30mins to an hour on weekdays, then a PT and a couple of hours on weekends. Does this seem like too little? It's four months, I don't want to burn out. Also I feel like I've already got most of the solid studying down. This is just fine tuning. Right..?

smiles123

Bronze

Post by smiles123 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Can someone please explain what exactly drilling is and how to do it or direct me somewhere with a detailed explanation? I'm a retaker and have gone through all the Bibles plus majority of the PTs on my first try and really gave the first test my all, but I need to up my 166. Every plan I've looked at recommends drilling(including this one), but I can't seem to find anywhere a detailed explanation of what this is or how to do it. Maybe this is why I didn’t do as well as I would have liked the first time…

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklungz

New

Post by blacklungz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Went through almost all the PTs and drilled 1-38 the first time around. I figured drilling the same packets now would be semi beneficial, but I'm worried about when I take PTs. What should I do? McGraw Hill's LSATs or LSAT-India?

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 pm

I posted this in another thread, but thought I would do so here as well.

After looking at all the materials needed to do this study plan, and realizing how much $$ it all was, I went to Craigslist. I was lucky enough to find someone selling a brand new Manhattan LSAT Bundle (3books) for $60, which I got down to $50. Obviously, the area you live in will determine the amount of lsat material available, but you can always search a nearby town.

Just a tip I thought I'd share for anyone else like me who doesn't want to spend a ton on study stuff and perhaps didn't think of CL!

eta: I also found someone who had all their Powerscore Bibles for free (granted they're written in, but still good for the chapters)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:35 pm

justabitunusual wrote:I posted this in another thread, but thought I would do so here as well.

After looking at all the materials needed to do this study plan, and realizing how much $$ it all was, I went to Craigslist. I was lucky enough to find someone selling a brand new Manhattan LSAT Bundle (3books) for $60, which I got down to $50. Obviously, the area you live in will determine the amount of lsat material available, but you can always search a nearby town.

Just a tip I thought I'd share for anyone else like me who doesn't want to spend a ton on study stuff and perhaps didn't think of CL!

eta: I also found someone who had all their Powerscore Bibles for free (granted they're written in, but still good for the chapters)
Was this in the personals section?

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Depending on how much time you have until your next take, I would do one of two things:

If it's sooner rather than later, prob would be good to alternate them. Also, write out exact chapters and drills you plan to do on a calendar (like1-2 weeks at a time) to keep yourself on target. If you miss a day just add that to the next day.

If you have a lot of time, I would suggest focusing on one subject at a time, while also always scheduling in a few games regardless of what subject you're studying. Then you can recap each one.

Just the way i would do it.

arthrod

New

Post by arthrod » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:51 pm

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kcho10

New

Post by kcho10 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 am

Hey NoodleyOne,

Thanks for your advice, and congrats on your awesome score! I'm really hoping for a score in that range too

I was wondering, do you have any specific suggestions for narrative passages, those that don't have tone, or sometimes don't even have arguments? I find that the passages that do have arguments I can answer fairly easily, but the ones that don't have arguments/tone are difficult because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for this post! Provides some needed motivation.

So far I've read LGB, LRB, and Manhattan RC Guide. Drilled about half of the games once, and have taken about 12 timed PTs.

Here's my strategy for the next 6 weeks:
-Drill LR 1-38 by question type packet while I read along with Manhattan LR guide
-Drill every one-page game at least twice (so leaving the 10ish most recent 2pg games for fresh PTs)
-Drill 50 individual RC passages, and then 25 whole RC sections to get timing down (timing on RC is my biggest issue right now)
-Take the 16 most recent PTs I have left (#60-75) as whole timed PTs with an experimental
-Also going to give the LSAT Trainer a read (bought it a while ago) if I have time

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 am

alloverthat wrote:I'm all over this. Will be retaking in June, after scoring a 167 in December. I have used up a lot of the materials (drilled most of the games 1-39 and done most PT's over 50) but hopefully going through everything again systematically will help me. Went down -10 in the games, and still haven't worked out how to get over all the silly mistakes I'm making. Really hoping the next 4 months will give me some confidence and clarity.

Open question: how long do you retakers spend studying per week? I was thinking maybe 30mins to an hour on weekdays, then a PT and a couple of hours on weekends. Does this seem like too little? It's four months, I don't want to burn out. Also I feel like I've already got most of the solid studying down. This is just fine tuning. Right..?
I want to know the answer to this question too! I took the Dec test, retaking in June. I have tons and tons of time to study, luckily for me, but I feel like there is almost too much time. When do I start? Now? February? I've already exhausted loads of the materials, ready to go through them again, but I don't know how beneficial it would be to exhaust them 3 times, 4 times...

Thanks! This is the most helpful retake thread everrr...

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Why are the Manhattan guides so strongly recommended? I have both the LR and AR powerscore bibles....are the Manhattan guides still worth investing in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:15 pm

RamTitan wrote:Why are the Manhattan guides so strongly recommended? I have both the LR and AR powerscore bibles....are the Manhattan guides still worth investing in?
I'm three years out from LSAT prep so assuming nothing big has changed, yes absolutely. PowerScore is great too and you should use both, but Manhattan made it come together for me

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:07 pm

North wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Why are the Manhattan guides so strongly recommended? I have both the LR and AR powerscore bibles....are the Manhattan guides still worth investing in?
I'm three years out from LSAT prep so assuming nothing big has changed, yes absolutely. PowerScore is great too and you should use both, but Manhattan made it come together for me
Just ordered the RC and LR one; I'm at -0 to -2 on games, so I figure I'm okay there.

Note: I noticed people in this thread were advocating not to read the stimulus first, but to read the question first. WTF?! I did stem first initially, but after joining this forum and reading PowerScore I started doing stim first. Which is it?

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:00 am

RamTitan wrote:
North wrote:
Just ordered the RC and LR one; I'm at -0 to -2 on games, so I figure I'm okay there.

Note: I noticed people in this thread were advocating not to read the stimulus first, but to read the question first. WTF?! I did stem first initially, but after joining this forum and reading PowerScore I started doing stim first. Which is it?
TCR is what is most comfortable for you. There is no right answer here besides that. I ended up being a hardcore question first type of person, because that would change how to read the stim. But others have been as/more successful with stim first. Try both (and actually stick with it, like 2 weeks with each method) and then see which works best for you.

ETA: The reason you have to stick with it for at least 2 weeks IMO is because if you're used to one way, the other is going to feel weird for a while at the start - but that's because you are not used to it, not because it is less effective per say. My first take I did stim first, and just automatically tried it like that for my retake. But then I gave question first a shot, loved it, and even went back to stim first for a week to make sure before sticking with question for good.

Praxity

New

Post by Praxity » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

What do you guys recommend I use in place of the Cambridge packets? I would love to use them, but as most of you are aware, they are no longer available.

I would like something for both LG/LR.

thanks for your time!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”