The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shntn

Platinum

Re: The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers

Post by shntn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:52 pm

North wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Dude, do you know how much cooler this thread would be if you had waited to get your score? Also, given your incentive to meet your publicly pre-released guideline, why not post a screenshot to prove said 179? KThxBye.
Dude, Noodles didn't make this thread because he was proud of himself, he made it because several October takers asked him to.
I liked it better pre-edit. The last bit really said what needed to be said.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 pm

shntn wrote:
North wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Dude, do you know how much cooler this thread would be if you had waited to get your score? Also, given your incentive to meet your publicly pre-released guideline, why not post a screenshot to prove said 179? KThxBye.
Dude, Noodles didn't make this thread because he was proud of himself, he made it because several October takers asked him to.
I liked it better pre-edit. The last bit really said what needed to be said.
I thought so too, but I always regret harsh words after I hit submit. Other dude screwed up my ninja edit, though.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 am

Congrats Noodley! Look forward to following your suggestions

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 am

I don't know brehs. I thought "Foolproof" and "180" were lulzy. "Tom Brady's Foolproof Guide to Beating the Giants in the Superbowl." I am legitimately happy for the dude though and obviously the advice is good advice.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 am

Kronk wrote:I don't know brehs. I thought "Foolproof" and "180" were lulzy. "Tom Brady's Foolproof Guide to Beating the Giants in the Superbowl." I am legitimately happy for the dude though and obviously the advice is good advice.
Oh yeah, that was stupid. But the thread itself was response to popular demand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am

Kronk wrote:I don't know brehs. I thought "Foolproof" and "180" were lulzy. "Tom Brady's Foolproof Guide to Beating the Giants in the Superbowl." I am legitimately happy for the dude though and obviously the advice is good advice.
Ya I don't think most people believe that just by following this they are guaranteed to get a 180. That would be ridiculous. The advice is good though and can definitely help people like me out who are looking for some extra help.

On a side note, in all fairness to Brady, a healthy Gronk would have really helped him out a ton. Too bad he can't play as well against a Cover 2 as he can dance, but I digress.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:07 am

nice job on the score!

tagging this thread for future generations

SantIvo

New

Post by SantIvo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 am

SantIvo wrote:Noodley,

Question on games retake strategy.

So I took the LSAT in October and scored a 167 -- I went -5 on RC and LR combined, and -9 on games (ugh). My prep has been comprehensive, meaning I've exhausted every PT and have devoted considerable time and effort to this miserable exam. The problem I consistently run into, particularly on the more recent PTs, are "weird" games (e.g. stained glass, the bike game, zones, and the first game on October).

I feel like I've internalized the common patterns well and that I can handle standard game types, but how would you go about prepping for curve balls? I'm good about learning from mistakes on these sorts of games, and tend not to repeat them, but I do struggle on the first pass.

I'm unsure how to proceed, so I'd be curious to hear your (or anyone else's thoughts).

Thanks.
Bumpin' out of desperation.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am

Noodley, I know you've probably been asked this a thousand times since yesterday, but what is your advice for December retakers? How should they modify your guide? Like, should they just focus on reading the Manhattan guides and doing practice tests? Re-read powerscore bibles and take practice tests? Would really like some advice as I want to make the most of these next 4 weeks and need a good strategy...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 am

I'll post a little later about this. A little occupied right now but I'll get to it.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am

NoodleyOne wrote:I'll post a little later about this. A little occupied right now but I'll get to it.
Thanks! You're a hero!

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Retaking in Feb and using this guide. I will let you all know how much it helped me!

DLA

New

Post by DLA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Question - did you take time off to prep for this test? I have November (with classes and exams; end on the 13th), full December free, and busy January with classes and stuff. Do you have a study pattern that you can suggest? Like a sort of timeline, maybe?

Thank you!

Oh, taking the Feb test. Bombed the October. Also, congratulations =)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm

congrats! :D

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Congratulations on your 179 bro and thanks for making this guide. I was PT'ing around 173 before Oct. and then wen -11 on LR to end up with a 166. Obviously I was very disappointed but I'm starting studying again today. Just ordered the Manhattan LR Guide.

Do you have any advice to improve on games? I went through the LG Bible twice and drilled tons of sections. I'm still getting -2 or -3 and/or running out of time. What did you do to push you over the edge with games? A guaranteed -0 on games is what I'm shooting for. Thanks.

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I want to buy Manhattan LSAT Bundle. But, currently there is a newer edition, which is 3rd Edition.

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-St ... attan+lsat

So, I am wondering whether I should buy 2nd Edition, which I assume that you used for your prep, or should I buy 3rd Edition?

Thank you,

ams212

New

Post by ams212 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 pm

heyman86us wrote:I want to buy Manhattan LSAT Bundle. But, currently there is a newer edition, which is 3rd Edition.

Amazon link:

So, I am wondering whether I should buy 2nd Edition, which I assume that you used for your prep, or should I buy 3rd Edition?

Thank you,

Mfer I just bought the second editions a month ago for like 60something lol oh well

Congrats Noodly, enjoy Yale

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Maybe I missed it but where does the Manhattan LG guide come into play with your method? I made a summary of your approach but the Manhattan LG guide isn't a part of it. I assume your suggestion would be to read it in full after the LG bible and then take a PT?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:08 am

Psb and mlg are interchangeable. Sorry for not expanding on that.

Also a lot of you sent me private messages and I haven't responded yet. I'll try to later today.

JDot

New

Post by JDot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 pm

question for you....on average, how many days a week did you study? and how many hours a day did you study?

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 pm

heyman86us wrote:I want to buy Manhattan LSAT Bundle. But, currently there is a newer edition, which is 3rd Edition.

Amazon link:

Thank you,
Don't buy the 3rd edition, unless you plan on holding off on a retake till Feb or later.
"Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Yo Noodley. When drilling by question type, did you time yourself specifically? Or would you just work fast but not specifically operate under a stopwatch?

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I can say for certain the 3rd edition of the Manhattan LG Guide is worth the wait. It's almost 3x as thick as the 2nd edition and it's super KICK ASS.

Try to see if a retail bookstore around you carries if it you don't want to wait!

:D

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 pm

d0rklord wrote:I can say for certain the 3rd edition of the Manhattan LG Guide is worth the wait. It's almost 3x as thick as the 2nd edition and it's super KICK ASS.

Try to see if a retail bookstore around you carries if it you don't want to wait!

:D
Can't wait to pick it up! Are there any improvements to RC/LR as well? Or pretty much the same?

TomThompson

New

Post by TomThompson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Noodley, I scored 166 on the October test, just slightly above my 165.5 average of 14 tests (52-66). It was not ideal in terms of my sleeping patterns or concentration (I forgot to fill in 2 spots and was too paranoid to even bubble guess them in later, in case the proctors saw me filling in a different column- even if my booklet was open to the right page)

I went -6 on RC- horribly for what had been my best section.
-6 on LG, I think I could have done better, leading up to the test I was really starting to 'get' the games through lots of repetition and drilling. Zones should have been easier, I stupidly wasted a lot of time on the earlier games for guaranteed points.

-6 on LR combined.

I'm hoping to use your guide, it looks awesome. I didn't use the drilling packets, or divided LR sections before the test which I think hurt me. I wasn't using a bible/method either, as I found powerscores LR bible unhelpful.

At this point, with a month to go, do you recommend I study the Manhattan LR/LG guide? I plan to put in approx. 1.5-3 hours/day as my schedule admits, and I'm unsure whether or not I should commit the time to fully absorbing the full book when I could spend it drilling LG/revewing LR sections.

In terms of my material remaining, I haven't yet looked at the full pts of 39-51, or RC from 28-51. I'll probably reuse or at least heavily review 52-67 as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”