Velocity or Manhattan? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: Velocity or Manhattan?

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Courses and tutors can certainly help if you have a problem self-motivating. At the same time, realizing that a bad (in TLS terms, less than a 170) can leave you going to a shitty school saddled with 200k+ in debt with bad job prospects... hell, if that doesn't motivate you, I don't know what will.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm

If compensation for the test writers is the problem, fine, raise the price of the test but don't feed me this intelectual property bullshit about a company
Perhaps Wall Street is a better fit for you.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I still don't understand why people just don't get PTs the same way they get music and movies. Torrents freed information for a reason.
Uhm, torrents did not make copyright infringement/stealing intellectual property legal.

Plus, at least some, hopefully close to all (I know, wishful thinking) people seeking to become lawyers in order to practice law as a career are not ethically challenged, but instead respect and follow the law with the intention of working within the system in ways to uphold and contribute to having a fair and just society with a fair judicial/legal system available to everybody for resolving problems when there is a dispute/controversy/alleged crime of some type.

At some point after graduating from law school people certainly start to appreciate getting paid for the things they write/intellectual property they produce to make a living and are not happy when others steal it.
Unlike the SAT you can't walk into this test without seeing previous versions and do well. This LSAC has a monopoly on the test that grants access to a specific education. They do grant waivers but set the threshold at an arbitrarily low level.

If compensation for the test writers is the problem, fine, raise the price of the test but don't feed me this intelectual property bullshit about a company that issues a test that has no market competition.

So yeah for movies, music and software youre right there is an moral argument to be made (not comcedimg though) but with regards to this, not so much.

And for the record I've paid for the all the tests via Powescore and again via Velocity.

*slow clap* Yes..

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Thanks for the comments. After reading the "Great Advice..." thread, I am wondering how necessary it even is to take a course, given that the majority of the high scorers, it seems, self-studied. Perhaps some combination of a self-study regimen (using Bibles, Manhattan LR, and PTs) and maybe a couple hours of a tutor to fill in any blanks as I get closer to the test date would work. Any thoughts?
I'm sure a bunch of folks are going to tell you how they did it on their own -- which is what a lot of folks successfully do -- but if you are going to use a tutor or class, I wouldn't wait until getting closer to the test date. If you are approaching the test (or some question type, section, etc.) incorrectly, then practicing a faulty method for 3 months gets you deeper into a hole. We see lots of folks showing up on our doorstep in the final month before an LSAT, and it's a lot harder to set them on a good trajectory at that point, with such little time to practice.

Instead, I'd set a rather early deadline for yourself--if you haven't seen a large jump in score by date X, then bring in whatever other resources you think will get you moving.

By the way, if you do go with Manhattan, we do our program so that if you realize you need to move from self-study to a course or tutoring package, you only pay the difference, that way you don't have to double-pay.

Good luck!

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Thanks for the comments. After reading the "Great Advice..." thread, I am wondering how necessary it even is to take a course, given that the majority of the high scorers, it seems, self-studied. Perhaps some combination of a self-study regimen (using Bibles, Manhattan LR, and PTs) and maybe a couple hours of a tutor to fill in any blanks as I get closer to the test date would work. Any thoughts?
I'm sure a bunch of folks are going to tell you how they did it on their own -- which is what a lot of folks successfully do -- but if you are going to use a tutor or class, I wouldn't wait until getting closer to the test date. If you are approaching the test (or some question type, section, etc.) incorrectly, then practicing a faulty method for 3 months gets you deeper into a hole. We see lots of folks showing up on our doorstep in the final month before an LSAT, and it's a lot harder to set them on a good trajectory at that point, with such little time to practice.

Instead, I'd set a rather early deadline for yourself--if you haven't seen a large jump in score by date X, then bring in whatever other resources you think will get you moving.

By the way, if you do go with Manhattan, we do our program so that if you realize you need to move from self-study to a course or tutoring package, you only pay the difference, that way you don't have to double-pay.

Good luck!
Thanks Noah, I actually decided to go with the full Manhattan course, beginning towards the end of October. Is there anything I can do between now and the beginning of my class (a little less than a month from now) that will be beneficial?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 am

Humbert Humbert wrote: Thanks Noah, I actually decided to go with the full Manhattan course, beginning towards the end of October. Is there anything I can do between now and the beginning of my class (a little less than a month from now) that will be beneficial?

Thanks
Hey, welcome aboard! Other than taking the diagnostic (which you can download off the site--it's explained in the welcome e-mail), if you'd like to get a jump start, I'd start in on the strategy guides. I often recommend that to folks, especially anyone who feels a bit behind the curve, as our classes are intense. The office is usually pretty good about getting you books pretty quickly, but because of the upcoming guide edition switch, there might be a bit of a delay, meaning they'd send them a week or so before the course starts. So, send Student Services an e-mail - studentservices@manhattanlsat.com and ask them if they don't mind getting you your books and sylllabus in the mail sooner than later. You can say I suggested it. Then, I'd just start reading, but don't do the HW outside the guides--leave that for after the class sessions. Also, I'd hold off on watching all the video content, as I'd save that for review after classes.

If you have any questions, just pm me or e-mail me -- noah@manhattanlsat.com

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 am

Just finished my Manhattan course. Taking October but I've improved dramatically. I took Powerscore for June but Manhattan is just on an other level. Seriously take Manhattan. They teach you the hard, definitive structure of the test instead of focusing on gimmicky trademarked terminology. The office hours are awesome and instructors are top notch. Wish I would've taken them for June, actually!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 pm

It's my hope that the MLSAT bandwagonism neither dilutes the quality of their program nor increase the quantity of students in their in-person classes. The small class sizes is what makes them unique (and IMHO superior) to their competitors.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:00 pm

I used both. I found Velocity more helpful, but I supplemented my studying with the Manhattan books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”