Velocity LSAT (or any other online-only course?) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
highwayguy46

New

Velocity LSAT (or any other online-only course?)

Post by highwayguy46 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Yes, yes, my first post...

Anyway, I was wondering if people could comment on the Velocity LSAT preparation course (or alternative online-only courses). Background info: I took Testmasters three years ago and didn't do anything except attend class and work through some of the HW (sorry parents!). Afterward, I self studied, including a cursory review of the LG Bible, and got a 163 (-20) on a 2009 LSAT. For the record, my "cold diagnostic" was a 157.

Since then, I've been very casually "studying" for the LSAT. I've gone through the LR Bible more thoroughly and am working through Atlas's LG book.

For me, RC is my strength. LG is iffy. And LR is consistently -5/section. I am, like so many others, aiming for 180 (why not?), but would "settle" for a low 170s.

My question is what online-only course would be best? I live in an area that precludes a "live" course (except Kaplan) and, frankly, I am looking for the cheapest options available. Clearly, I am working on the "self study" schedule, but I would like to incorporate a structured study environment.

From what I have seen, some people are proponents of Velocity LSAT (Dave excluded, of course). But, I must say, the $650 price is very appealing. Do you have any suggestions/thoughts as to what may be a good supplementary prep course and/or studying method?

Thanks TLS.

jigglebottom

Bronze

Re: Velocity LSAT (or any other online-only course?)

Post by jigglebottom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 pm

quick q. do u qualify for the lsac fee waiver by chance?

highwayguy46

New

Post by highwayguy46 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 pm

jigglebottom wrote:quick q. do u qualify for the lsac fee waiver by chance?
Not that I am aware of/probably not/no.

Edit - Also, FWIW, non-URM and an estimated 3.6 LSAC GPA (give or take .05).

jigglebottom

Bronze

Post by jigglebottom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:16 pm

gpa is irrelevant, they base it off income I believe. I was just curious because I used Velocity and got a discounted rate with the fee waiver. I ended up getting $220 deducted (if I remember correctly). Might be something to look into on LSAC.org. There is a brief application to see if you qualify, might make paying for a class easier. Just a thought.

Velocity is a good course imo. Instructor makes himself available, I would wait for more responses from folks. My diagnostic was like a 154 and after Velocity I was testing in the 166-170 range. From what I gather there is not much Velocity wont teach you that other course will and it is a lot cheaper. Get a good sampling before you take the plunge. Some people managed with a just a few texts (bibles & superprep) and this blog and managed to do quite well.

If you have any more specific questions about velocity let me know.

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Check out 7sage.com. Its very cheap and VERY HELPFUL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 pm

I also really like velocity. I took the test 3 times (outside of 2 years) and scored 163, 167, and 167 with self study. Then I took Velocity and got a 170. I didn't dedicate myself to the course as much as I should have, so I would caution you to be more committed and you may see even better results.

Noblesse_Oblige

New

Post by Noblesse_Oblige » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 pm

hooma wrote:I also really like velocity. I took the test 3 times (outside of 2 years) and scored 163, 167, and 167 with self study. Then I took Velocity and got a 170. I didn't dedicate myself to the course as much as I should have, so I would caution you to be more committed and you may see even better results.
This, I was PTing at 173 thanks to Velocity, and that was with no studying (yeah, I slacked)

So if you follow the 16 weeks schedule and watch all the vids and critically asses your right and wrong answers, there is no reason you can't get 180.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 am

I am curious to see more reviews/replies on this as well.

Rebecca&Fiona

New

Post by Rebecca&Fiona » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 am

"7sage" is the best. :D
They are so cheap and the contents are just incredible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:20 am

Oh gee, someone with ONE post, promoting a product original!

You already qualify for a discount. Dave offers (or at least offered) a discount to anyone who has previously taken a prep-course but feels the need to take velocity now. I was extended this generous offer and took it. I signed up after my 164 in Feb, and have been pting around 175, with a high of 180, and a LOW of 172 in the last 3 months

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am

I did Velocity and also did some work with 7sage. They are both good programs and come with their own strengths. If you want details, I can go into that, but their free content is fairly indicative of what the overall course will be like. Check them out and compare styles.

Noblesse_Oblige

New

Post by Noblesse_Oblige » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

bdeebs wrote:I did Velocity and also did some work with 7sage. They are both good programs and come with their own strengths. If you want details, I can go into that, but their free content is fairly indicative of what the overall course will be like. Check them out and compare styles.

This. Best advice you will get. I saw 7Sage, and it seemed too shady at the time (not that Dave didn't seem a bit shady, but glad I saw past that.)

highwayguy46

New

Post by highwayguy46 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had never heard of 7Sage before today, but I will definitely look into it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 am

highwayguy46 wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I had never heard of 7Sage before today, but I will definitely look into it.
Internet marketing =

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 am

Putting out a product that others are willing to recommend=great success.

DEO3029

New

Post by DEO3029 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Just signed up for Velocity last night. The only thing I wanted to clarify and perhaps someone in this thread would know....I wont have my comprehensive access until my paypal transaction clears right? It is only a difference of a few days but I was just curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”