Anyone here taken Score It Up(Irvine, CA) LSAT prep company? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Sinatra

Bronze

Re: Anyone here taken Score It Up(Irvine, CA) LSAT prep company?

Post by Sinatra » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Shinners has a point, though. I have a lot of respect for the guy and a person shouldn't be shitting all over a prep company by making false statements. I've never taken a blueprint course but I have been lurking/posting around for years now, and shinners has done an excellent job representing blueprint and giving helpful advice to all users. The only reason I've never tried BP course is because I don't have the funds to do so, otherwise I feel it would be a good purchase. No one ever bashes on BP, even though it's always "in the shadows" here on TLS.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Sinatra wrote:Shinners has a point, though. I have a lot of respect for the guy and a person shouldn't be shitting all over a prep company by making false statements. I've never taken a blueprint course but I have been lurking/posting around for years now, and shinners has done an excellent job representing blueprint and giving helpful advice to all users. The only reason I've never tried BP course is because I don't have the funds to do so, otherwise I feel it would be a good purchase. No one ever bashes on BP, even though it's always "in the shadows" here on TLS.
+1

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Either that Mark dude loved fake accounts, or this thread has the most 1 or 2 posters I've ever seen on TLS.

Option 3: Mark emailed all his students to post or something. But ya.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm

scoobers wrote:
Sinatra wrote:Shinners has a point, though. I have a lot of respect for the guy and a person shouldn't be shitting all over a prep company by making false statements. I've never taken a blueprint course but I have been lurking/posting around for years now, and shinners has done an excellent job representing blueprint and giving helpful advice to all users. The only reason I've never tried BP course is because I don't have the funds to do so, otherwise I feel it would be a good purchase. No one ever bashes on BP, even though it's always "in the shadows" here on TLS.
+1
+2. BP is really great.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:46 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
scoobers wrote:
+1
+2. BP is really great.
+3. BP has been super helpful for me and my instructor most certainly cares about all the students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Either that Mark dude loved fake accounts, or this thread has the most 1 or 2 posters I've ever seen on TLS.

An Orange County DA and Harvard grad is too smart for option 1 and 2 would lead to mods banning and posts being deleted because of similar IPs. 3 is the cr when you include him just informally discussing it in his own class. Email leaves a paper trail that a particularly disgruntled student could perhaps post said email or picture of email on this such as the post that bumped this.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:52 pm

crestor wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:Either that Mark dude loved fake accounts, or this thread has the most 1 or 2 posters I've ever seen on TLS.

An Orange County DA and Harvard grad is too smart for option 1 and 2 would lead to mods banning and posts being deleted because of similar IPs. 3 is the cr when you include him just informally discussing it in his own class. Email leaves a paper trail that a particularly disgruntled student could perhaps post said email or picture of email on this such as the post that bumped this.
True. Except if he's super confident in his teaching style and knows there will be no disgruntled students :D.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
crestor wrote:

True. Except if he's super confident in his teaching style and knows there will be no disgruntled students :D.
Are we talking about robin singh here? :lol:

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm

crestor wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
crestor wrote:

Are we talking about robin singh here? :lol:
You should be careful, he might sue you. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:05 pm

princeR wrote:I took a powerscore class last summer, it was a joke. My instructor took the LSAT back in the 80's, she was almost 50. She taught straight out of the book and the most explanation she could/would give for wrong answers were "ummmm, no". To go over RC we would read the passage aloud, alternating between paragraphs and than answering questions. She told us that there was no way to improve on RC because it is simply an acquired reading skill. Furthermore, she didn't tell us how to approach the homework so I was simply doing all of the homework and ingrained some terrible habits into my study. I later went on the powerscore website after the class and saw how they advise a much different approach to the homework, why she didn't tell us this I will never know. We literally didn't go over any strategies, nothing that I saw in the PSB for games or LR.

The problem with a class is it is is 100% dependent on the instructor. I got a shitty instructor. It was a waste of time and money.
Last year I took a PS prepcourse and had a really solid instructor that went beyond the textbook and offered to remain in contact with any and all students for as long as we are studying. I'm not trying to discredit you're post, though. I completely agree that the classes can be a total waste with a poor instructor.

Before signing up for a class, I'd ask to speak to the instructor and hopefully get a chance to observe a class or two.

JWP1022

Bronze

Post by JWP1022 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:41 pm

BP is fantastic. I took BP in DC and my tutor (Mark) was a great guy all around. I still hit him up from time to time if I have a question that needs answering.

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 pm

I briefly checked out ScoreItUp's website. Just had a couple of thoughts.

There's a chart on the homepage that compares ScoreItUp to the competition (Kaplan, Princeton, Testmasters).
I think the first redflag is the criteria listed. All of the criteria listed has ScoreItUp having a "YES" and the rest of the competition have a "no."

It has "Guaranteed Instructor" of which ScoreItUp has "YES" and the rest have "no." What is a Guaranteed Instructor? As in, if I were to enroll in a Testmasters, there could be a chance that the course I enroll in has no instructor? I highly doubt it, unless the companies listed only offer video-learning, which then would only mean no live-instructor. I haven't checked them out though, so there could be a chance that some students enrolled in their courses don't get an instructor. It's probably more likely that Guaranteed Instructor means something else. In that case, what is a "Guaranteed Instructor?" Is it some sort of title or award given out by a neutral, fair, and qualified third party? Or are we just slapping on cool sounding marketing names here.

The next criteria is "Teaching Experience Guaranteed." Once again, what exactly does that mean? Teaching Experience sounds like a general term. If you go to an elementary school, it's arguable that you would obtain a "teaching experience." If you go to a free seminar, it's arguable you would obtain a "teaching experience." So I guess they're not saying "Teaching Experience" just means "there will be a teacher who will teach." If so, then the rest of the competition should probably get a "YES" too. So what exactly do they mean by "Teaching Experience?" Additionally, they use "Guaranteed" twice. Does that mean guarantee or your money back? Or is guarantee just a formal promise. In that case, what happens if that promise is not fulfilled? What exactly is the guarantee? Guaranteed 15 point increase? Or just guaranteed there will be a "teaching experience and a live instructor?"

The following criteria is "UC Irvine Lecturer." I guess that would be meaningful if you were located in UC Irvine, but then again, any person looking for a course would be looking for one within their area. Additionally, what exactly is a "UC Irvine Lecturer". All we know is that the competition listed doesn't offer courses from a UC Irvine Lecturer. But what if they still offered courses within the vicinity of UC Irvine?

"Harvard Law School Grad." That helps to show the credentials. But it lists all the other competition as "no." What if they had Yale Law School Grads? Or Stanford Law School Grads? You could even push this to T-14. I think the real importance is an instructor who scored in a certain percentile on the LSAT. That's probably what really matters. The bio page of the instructor says he scored 99%. I'm guessing the reason he didn't use 99% as a criteria is probably because at least one other company has a 99% instructor, and he wouldn't be able to write "no" for them.

"Teaches LSAT only." Does the fact that a company teach other courses detract from its ability to teach the LSAT?

Anyway, I also briefly checked out the page about the instructor himself. He seems pretty qualified, 99% scorer. I have nothing to say about the course itself, since I haven't taken it. But his marketing strategies are eye brow raising to say the least.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 pm

[quote="meegee"]
Last edited by deebanger on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 pm

deebanger wrote:
meegee wrote:I briefly checked out ScoreItUp's website. Just had a couple of thoughts.

There's a chart on the homepage that compares ScoreItUp to the competition (Kaplan, Princeton, Testmasters).
I think the first redflag is the criteria listed. All of the criteria listed has ScoreItUp having a "YES" and the rest of the competition have a "no."

It has "Guaranteed Instructor" of which ScoreItUp has "YES" and the rest have "no." What is a Guaranteed Instructor? As in, if I were to enroll in a Testmasters, there could be a chance that the course I enroll in has no instructor? I highly doubt it, unless the companies listed only offer video-learning, which then would only mean no live-instructor. I haven't checked them out though, so there could be a chance that some students enrolled in their courses don't get an instructor. It's probably more likely that Guaranteed Instructor means something else. In that case, what is a "Guaranteed Instructor?" Is it some sort of title or award given out by a neutral, fair, and qualified third party? Or are we just slapping on cool sounding marketing names here.

The next criteria is "Teaching Experience Guaranteed." Once again, what exactly does that mean? Teaching Experience sounds like a general term. If you go to an elementary school, it's arguable that you would obtain a "teaching experience." If you go to a free seminar, it's arguable you would obtain a "teaching experience." So I guess they're not saying "Teaching Experience" just means "there will be a teacher who will teach." If so, then the rest of the competition should probably get a "YES" too. So what exactly do they mean by "Teaching Experience?" Additionally, they use "Guaranteed" twice. Does that mean guarantee or your money back? Or is guarantee just a formal promise. In that case, what happens if that promise is not fulfilled? What exactly is the guarantee? Guaranteed 15 point increase? Or just guaranteed there will be a "teaching experience and a live instructor?"

The following criteria is "UC Irvine Lecturer." I guess that would be meaningful if you were located in UC Irvine, but then again, any person looking for a course would be looking for one within their area. Additionally, what exactly is a "UC Irvine Lecturer". All we know is that the competition listed doesn't offer courses from a UC Irvine Lecturer. But what if they still offered courses within the vicinity of UC Irvine?

"Harvard Law School Grad." That helps to show the credentials. But it lists all the other competition as "no." What if they had Yale Law School Grads? Or Stanford Law School Grads? You could even push this to T-14. I think the real importance is an instructor who scored in a certain percentile on the LSAT. That's probably what really matters. The bio page of the instructor says he scored 99%. I'm guessing the reason he didn't use 99% as a criteria is probably because at least one other company has a 99% instructor, and he wouldn't be able to write "no" for them.

"Teaches LSAT only." Does the fact that a company teach other courses detract from its ability to teach the LSAT?

Anyway, I also briefly checked out the page about the instructor himself. He seems pretty qualified, 99% scorer. I have nothing to say about the course itself, since I haven't taken it. But his marketing strategies are eye brow raising to say the least.

"Guaranteed instructor"- well with a number of courses, u have no idea who ur instructor is, or u might want a particular instructor, but u might not get him/her . With score it up, u get MARK SACKS. that is guaranteed. ur not getting anybody else, and he does not hire anyone else to teach. so ur when u invest ur hard earned money, u know ur getting a instructor, who is a harvard grad, and also a district attorney.

"UC Irvine Lecturer"- Well i dont know why u had a hard time with that. What it means is that well he has taught classes at UC Irvine. So, he has taught "college level" classes. so that's his "teaching experience". he has not taught at the kindergarden or elementary school level, but at the "COLLEGE LEVEL. he mentions it coz students from uc-irvine predominantly make up his class.

"teaches LSAT only- Well again that is self explanatory. but its ok, i will break it down to u. So, basically Mark Sacks, the instructor for score it up teaches only the lsat. Again, there are some prep companies, (i dont want to throw out names) that will have instructors teaching the Gmat and the lsat. so the instructors are not "specializing" in the lsat. and that what Mark Sacks does. he teaches only the lsat.

and just fyi, u mentioned abt his marketing strategies. well i will break it down to u. He has NO MARKETING STRATEGIES. a reason why his course costs less than other rival prep companies is that he does not spend a huge amount of money on publicity. he does come to my school's pre law meetings, and shares his words of wisdom, as he is been in big law and now in public interest law. Other than that, he does not spend a huge amount of money on publicity. he also significantly cuts costs by not hiring ANY OTHER INSTRUCTOR and teaches it by himself. so he saves money by not having a middle man. so score it up is basically a "one man shop". if blueprint, powerscore, kaplan are walmart. then score it up and velocity are the small shops in the corner of ur street.
I think we already established that we don't trash talk BP here :evil: . YES I'M FEEDING THE TROLL.

Also, most prep companies teach more than one subject. That is why they are companies. It's an economy of scale. BUT if you walk into Manhattan or BP, you aren't going to get some person who is just good at reading. You are going to get someone who scored at the 99th percentile on the LSAT. Saying that because a company teaches things other than the LSAT makes them bad is like saying that universities suck because they research more than one topic.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41 pm

blueprint only teaches the LSAT unlike tm, kaplan, princeton review.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 pm

scoobers wrote:
deebanger wrote:
meegee wrote:I briefly checked out ScoreItUp's website. Just had a couple of thoughts.

"Guaranteed instructor"- well with a number of courses, u have no idea who ur instructor is, or u might want a particular instructor, but u might not get him/her . With score it up, u get MARK SACKS. that is guaranteed. ur not getting anybody else, and he does not hire anyone else to teach. so ur when u invest ur hard earned money, u know ur getting a instructor, who is a harvard grad, and also a district attorney.

"UC Irvine Lecturer"- Well i dont know why u had a hard time with that. What it means is that well he has taught classes at UC Irvine. So, he has taught "college level" classes. so that's his "teaching experience". he has not taught at the kindergarden or elementary school level, but at the "COLLEGE LEVEL. he mentions it coz students from uc-irvine predominantly make up his class.

"teaches LSAT only- Well again that is self explanatory. but its ok, i will break it down to u. So, basically Mark Sacks, the instructor for score it up teaches only the lsat. Again, there are some prep companies, (i dont want to throw out names) that will have instructors teaching the Gmat and the lsat. so the instructors are not "specializing" in the lsat. and that what Mark Sacks does. he teaches only the lsat.

and just fyi, u mentioned abt his marketing strategies. well i will break it down to u. He has NO MARKETING STRATEGIES. a reason why his course costs less than other rival prep companies is that he does not spend a huge amount of money on publicity. he does come to my school's pre law meetings, and shares his words of wisdom, as he is been in big law and now in public interest law. Other than that, he does not spend a huge amount of money on publicity. he also significantly cuts costs by not hiring ANY OTHER INSTRUCTOR and teaches it by himself. so he saves money by not having a middle man. so score it up is basically a "one man shop". if blueprint, powerscore, kaplan are walmart. then score it up and velocity are the small shops in the corner of ur street.
I think we already established that we don't trash talk BP here :evil: . YES I'M FEEDING THE TROLL.

Also, most prep companies teach more than one subject. That is why they are companies. It's an economy of scale. BUT if you walk into Manhattan or BP, you aren't going to get some person who is just good at reading. You are going to get someone who scored at the 99th percentile on the LSAT. Saying that because a company teaches things other than the LSAT makes them bad is like saying that universities suck because they research more than one topic.
I absolutely have no problem with companies or instructors teaching more than one subject. I dont know why u thought I had a problem with that haha. I just explained to meegee what "teaches only LSAT means"

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Why would he brag about UCI experience? Doesn't he know UCI's reputation on TLS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 pm

FooJ wrote:
lederhosen wrote:I've heard its a scam.

The first two weeks are done in very small classroom, then they combine everyone into a huge lecture hall but by this point you have no chance to ask for refund. With 400 students in a lecture hall, it gets dumbed down to repeating really elementary things every class.

I personally knew people who went and stopped going because it was useless and their time was better spent self-studying. On the plus side, they did have every PT, but really overpaid for them. Also it lets you network with other LSAT takers if you want PT partners.

I'd take a serious look at the other prep companies just to know what else is out there. Money comes and goes and saving a couple hundred $'s is very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things with a test of this importance.
First of all, I have taken ScoreItUp, it was nothing how you described, I took it during the fall, and I had the same 30 person class the entire time, and a couple of my friends took it during the summer and really enjoyed it. There was not 400 people in the class and their experience as well as mine was far from what you are describing. All I can say that getting more hours for less money, especially with a proven and accomplished instructor was worth it. But I will let you come to your own conclusion.

Secondly, I find it strange/sketch that you only have two posts on TLS and your only substantive post is just criticizing an LSAT prep company you have never attended/experienced. Most of us are actual/potential law students on here.

I find it curious how almost every LSAT prep thread is high jacked as a blueprint advertisement and public bash session of others. I’m not sure if actual students would care about the stuff portratyed on this forum, because REAL students would only be concentrating on their GPA LSAT score and applications, if they were seriously considering law school.

Last time I was on here, as seen above, I hinted that a couple of the posts smelled a little fishy, and low and behold many of those posts were thereafter deleted. This cycle and pattern seems to rinse and repeat every so often. I can’t say whether all these posts are legit, but people should be aware of BP’s history on this site.

Now you can call me a troll or whatever, but the truth is I have a life and am an actual law student so therefore I don’t spend all my time posting, just browse occasionally. If you ever attend law school you will understand.

There is a substantial amount of online material, I’m not sure why the other student would say it was locked. Also of course the class is filled with strategies, why or how else would someone teach LSAT prep without strategies, that just doesn’t make any sense on its face. When I took his course the first half of the class was learning strategies, while the second half was repeated practice and refinement.

I apologize for ranting a bit, but Mark’s a great guy, I as well as many others I know enjoyed his course as well as his personal advice, some of the attacks on here aren’t even directed at LSAT prep which I found to be a bit ridiculous considering this is an educational forum, I felt somebody should speak some reason here.

mmansour

New

Post by mmansour » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 pm

I took Score it Up taught by Mark this past Spring, roughly end of Match to early June 2013.

I was an online Blueprint student before, and I was not happy as I thought I would be with the program.

I was extremely happy with Mark's class, and would highly recommend it to anyone in the OC area. Mark truly loves to teach, and he knows the LSAT inside and out. He genuinely cares for his students, and I learned new things in his class that were much more streamline, and made so much more sense.

The LSAT is a difficult test, no doubt, with many complexities, but Mark allows you to see similar strategies across all sections, which is great. Many other test prep companies complicate the studying much more than it needs to be...Mark doesn't.

Classes were a great, manageable size, and the location (Concordia University) was great. I highly recommend Score it Up!!

Hotguy

Bronze

Post by Hotguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 pm

PSA: BP>>Scoreitup
Btw, Mark, your marketing strategy is counter productive. Most TLSers are not stupid.

HTH

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Hotguy wrote:PSA: BP>>Scoreitup
Btw, Mark, your marketing strategy is counter productive. Most TLSers are not stupid.

HTH
are u really comparing blueprint and score it up?. blueprint has courses in numerous cities all over the US. Score it up like velocity is a one man shop prep company that predominantly has students from one part of southern california (orange county). and marketing strategy?. dude, like I said being a one man shop prep company, mark does not have the budget for marketing the way national prep companies have. and just fyi- mark is a deputy district attorney.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hotguy

Bronze

Post by Hotguy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 am

deebanger wrote:
Hotguy wrote:PSA: BP>>Scoreitup

HTH
are u really comparing blueprint and score it up?. blueprint has courses in numerous cities all over the US. Score it up like velocity is a one man shop prep company that predominantly has students from one part of southern california (orange county). and marketing strategy?. dude, like I said being a one man shop prep company, mark does not have the budget for marketing the way national prep companies have. and just fyi- mark is a deputy district attorney.
Does everything that you said make my statement any less true?

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Do any OC/LA people have any insight into score it up course? i would really appreciate any insight/or comments on the course(positive or negative). Thank you!

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 pm

bump

Mchele2468

New

Post by Mchele2468 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Junebugman wrote:I just found a really small company that offers LSAT prep in Irvine, CA. It's called Score It Up and it's ran by one man who's also the instructor. I've heard a bits of information about the company, mostly from the website's student reviews and from Yelp, but I've seen some people mention the test prep company here, but nothing indetail.

http://www.scoreitup.com/

On the surface, the program seems too good to be true(100lecture hours/24testing, Harvard grad w/ lsat teaching exp., only $1,100) That's exactly why I'm looking for some people who have taken this prep program or know someone who has. He's in Orange County and hosts it at UC Irvine.

I stumbled across this company while I was researching for the best lsat prep course here on TLS, but like I said, I found just one person on here who mentioned in passing that he enjoyed the course. I like to know the quality of something before I have to invest over a grand of my money.
I took Scoreitup's LSAT prep course a couple years ago and had a substantial improvement in my performance on the LSAT. Being a small company is what sets it apart from the others. The instructor spends A LOT of time answering student questions via email and after class. It was almost as if I was getting 1:1 tutoring. He really cares about his students and how they perform on the LSAT and beyond. He also stays in touch with his students through the application process and law school, giving advice and encouragement where needed. I honestly don't think you will find a better deal anywhere else. Most of the other companies I looked into were all larger, and they nickel-and-dime you for every extra thing. Considering the cost of Scoreitup and all the extras that come with it, I would jump on it if I was you. I did very well on the LSAT and even apply a lot of the advice given in that course to my life in law school today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”