Anyone here taken Score It Up(Irvine, CA) LSAT prep company? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Junebugman

New

Anyone here taken Score It Up(Irvine, CA) LSAT prep company?

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 12:09 am

I just found a really small company that offers LSAT prep in Irvine, CA. It's called Score It Up and it's ran by one man who's also the instructor. I've heard a bits of information about the company, mostly from the website's student reviews and from Yelp, but I've seen some people mention the test prep company here, but nothing indetail.

http://www.scoreitup.com/

On the surface, the program seems too good to be true(100lecture hours/24testing, Harvard grad w/ lsat teaching exp., only $1,100) That's exactly why I'm looking for some people who have taken this prep program or know someone who has. He's in Orange County and hosts it at UC Irvine.

I stumbled across this company while I was researching for the best lsat prep course here on TLS, but like I said, I found just one person on here who mentioned in passing that he enjoyed the course. I like to know the quality of something before I have to invest over a grand of my money.
Last edited by Junebugman on Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bne

New

Re: Anyone here taken Score It Up(Irvine, CA) LSAT prep company?

Post by bne » Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 am

deleted
Last edited by bne on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 12:34 am

I've researched multiple prep companies and I've narrowed it down to either them, Blueprint, or PR. I already have all three PS bibles and I plan to throughly work though them before starting a course. However I still want some info on this Score It Up company. A lot of reviews on Yelp gave 5/5s and did speak about how since the instructor used to be on the Harvard admissions council, he'd give advise in class on the best way to make yourself appear attractive with various soft factors. However this is though Yelp and not TLS or other forums that have thousands of people studying for the LSAT.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 am

Junebugman wrote:I've researched multiple prep companies and I've narrowed it down to either them, Blueprint, or PR. I already have all three PS bibles and I plan to throughly work though them before starting a course. However I still want some info on this Score It Up company. A lot of reviews on Yelp gave 5/5s and did speak about how since the instructor used to be on the Harvard admissions council, he'd give advise in class on the best way to make yourself appear attractive with various soft factors. However this is though Yelp and not TLS or other forums that have thousands of people studying for the LSAT.
You should consider self-prep first and then spend the rest of the money on a tutor if you are still having problems.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Junebugman wrote:I've researched multiple prep companies and I've narrowed it down to either them, Blueprint, or PR. I already have all three PS bibles and I plan to throughly work though them before starting a course. However I still want some info on this Score It Up company. A lot of reviews on Yelp gave 5/5s and did speak about how since the instructor used to be on the Harvard admissions council, he'd give advise in class on the best way to make yourself appear attractive with various soft factors. However this is though Yelp and not TLS or other forums that have thousands of people studying for the LSAT.
You should consider self-prep first and then spend the rest of the money on a tutor if you are still having problems.

I will do plenty of self-studying, but I just need the structure of a course to back me up. I hope you understand what I mean.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 am

TaipeiMort wrote:

^^^^This.

Seriously, who knows where you are at? I looked into classes too when I knew I would take the LSAT, but luckily I took some PT's first, started on the Bibles and realized a class would be a huge waste of money. See what you can do on your own, if you start PTing in the high 160's/170's without a class, then I doubt one will help you (though private tutoring of course might).
Books/Pt's and TLS are WAY cheaper than classes.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 am

Never heard of them before.

Many classes mix people shooting for simply 150+ and others shooting for 170+. You need an instructor who doesn't cater solely to one group or the other.

Ideally, if you take a course, be sure to speak with the instructor before starting the class and sit in on a sample class actually taught by that instructor.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 am

Well I've actually never taken the LSAT or really any official PT. I've taken a few questions here and there and I usually get the RC and LR questions right about 4/5 time. The ones I seem to get wrong are the type of questions that feel like the LSAT writers make just to deliberately make you have a bad day. However it's the LG that confuse the hell out of me. My department at my university was hosting a free LSAT overview prep session held by some guy from PR. He came and we all did several questions and I got almost perfect on RC and LR, but LG killed me. The funny thing is I took a formal logic class two semesters ago and loved it. I was actually tutoring a few people in the class because it just felt like the concepts clicked instantly for me. However it really didn't feel like that on those LG. Interestingly enough, and I might sound really stupid for saying this, but when I did the LG section, I didn't write out any diagrams or make any drawings. It was the first time I ever tried those kind of LSAT questions and the PR rep. basically never told anyone that you *could* do so. I, stupidly, assumed it all had to be done mentally.

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 am

I wouldn't invest in an untested product. Give TestMasters a try; if they don't offer a live course the online course is cheaper but the quality is very, very good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 am

Junebugman wrote:Well I've actually never taken the LSAT or really any official PT. I've taken a few questions here and there and I usually get the RC and LR questions right about 4/5 time. The ones I seem to get wrong are the type of questions that feel like the LSAT writers make just to deliberately make you have a bad day. However it's the LG that confuse the hell out of me. My department at my university was hosting a free LSAT overview prep session held by some guy from PR. He came and we all did several questions and I got almost perfect on RC and LR, but LG killed me. The funny thing is I took a formal logic class two semesters ago and loved it. I was actually tutoring a few people in the class because it just felt like the concepts clicked instantly for me. However it really didn't feel like that on those LG. Interestingly enough, and I might sound really stupid for saying this, but when I did the LG section, I didn't write out any diagrams or make any drawings. It was the first time I ever tried those kind of LSAT questions and the PR rep. basically never told anyone that you *could* do so. I, stupidly, assumed it all had to be done mentally.

See, this is exactly why you should not sign up for any class before you tried studying on your own first. There are so many fantastic, cheap ways to learn LG's, and now that you know you can write stuff down, your score will improve greatly as well.
By the PS Bibles (for LG and LR) start on LG since that's where you are having the most trouble, if you rip through it and still have no lick how to do LG's...well I would still suggest more books and website due to cost/benefit ration, but the point is you can definitely learn LG's on your own.

JWilliamsIV

New

Post by JWilliamsIV » Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

I am a UC Irvine student and I had an outstanding experience with Scoreitup. Mark Sacks is a Harvard grad, a practicing attorney, and he does teach every lecture. The fact that it's just him is what keeps the cost down, as opposed to the other organizations' operating expenses.

I thought it was interesting that so many advised you to self-study first. In fact, unless it's changed on the website, Scoreitup advises you to do so as well, if you are so inclined. Personally, I needed a lot of help with analytical reasoning -- Mark does a great job of breaking it down into a workable system and peeling back the underlying logic of the test. I went from averaging in the low 150s to ultimately scoring a 165 in the June 2011 LSAT. Highly, highly recommend -- if you intend to pursue the prep course route. I know that I wouldn't have made the cut at UCI Law without it.

PM me if you have any other questions.

D10

New

Post by D10 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Junebugman wrote:I just found a really small company that offers LSAT prep in Irvine, CA. It's called Score It Up and it's ran by one man who's also the instructor. I've heard a bits of information about the company, mostly from the website's student reviews and from Yelp, but I've seen some people mention the test prep company here, but nothing indetail.

http://www.scoreitup.com/

On the surface, the program seems too good to be true(100lecture hours/24testing, Harvard grad w/ lsat teaching exp., only $1,100) That's exactly why I'm looking for some people who have taken this prep program or know someone who has. He's in Orange County and hosts it at UC Irvine.

I stumbled across this company while I was researching for the best lsat prep course here on TLS, but like I said, I found just one person on here who mentioned in passing that he enjoyed the course. I like to know the quality of something before I have to invest over a grand of my money.
I took ScoreItUp last summer and I do highly recommend it. Quality-wise it was top notch. Each class was very through and after every session Mark would stay afterwards if people had questions he didn’t get to during class. I took classes with another renowned company before ScoreItUp and it wasn’t as good and was more expensive. Mark’s class was at UCI, but since I wasn’t a student there I didn’t really know anything much about it except through the website and Yelp like you said. I think I actually emailed Mark and then gave him a call asking more about the class before actually signing up.

I also did a lot of prep on my own and with ScoreItUp my score went up a lot even after the self-study. I still keep in touch with Mark and updated him on my application process throughout the last few months. I’m sure if you send an email his way or whatnot he’ll be very helpful about it.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm not the best at self-study. Self-studying is like working out for me. I'm motivated and I put in a strong effort for a few days and sort of just fall apart and forget about it. I feel like a class, at the very least, will at least force me to study and do homework. A good example is I've tried learning how to read classical Russian literature, in the old Russian language(which is REALLY different from the basic Russian language). When I tried it on my own I'd make a small dent and just sort of give up. However the Russian professor at my school yells...and I mean screams...at students who fail to do the homework and is constantly on everyone's back. I learned so much in that class just from the fact that I was just forced to learn.

Does my example make sense or am I just rambling on? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hereyago

Bronze

Post by hereyago » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Junebugman wrote:I'm not the best at self-study. Self-studying is like working out for me. I'm motivated and I put in a strong effort for a few days and sort of just fall apart and forget about it. I feel like a class, at the very least, will at least force me to study and do homework. A good example is I've tried learning how to read classical Russian literature, in the old Russian language(which is REALLY different from the basic Russian language). When I tried it on my own I'd make a small dent and just sort of give up. However the Russian professor at my school yells...and I mean screams...at students who fail to do the homework and is constantly on everyone's back. I learned so much in that class just from the fact that I was just forced to learn.

Does my example make sense or am I just rambling on? lol
Then you should probably take a class.

Since taking a class at Scoreitup is sort of a gamble, you should just pay a bit more and take a class from an established prep company. Well, I guess it depends on your risk preference.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

My idea is to try to study the three Bibles before I take a class. It will probably take me a while since my schedule with self-studying is sort of on and off. But my main idea is just to get a good idea of how to work the answers and then take a class that will push me further. I heard good things about Blueprint and PR, but Idk much about the quality of either. All I can tell is Blueprint is about a few hundred bucks cheaper than PR and offers like 30 more hours plus something called "clinics and workshops"...Not quite sure what that is compared to others. But as far as which has better qualified instructors, I don't know. The only surefire answer I keep running into is don't take Kaplan lol

Mchele2468

New

Post by Mchele2468 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I am currently taking the course with ScoreItUp and would highly recommend it. Like a lot of people, my main area of concern is the LG section. I have drastically improved and I am only halfway through the course. Mark has a very good way of breaking down the information to help you understand it. He stays after class to answer all additional questions for students individually and also responds to all email questions. In a sense, it is almost like tutoring considering all the extra individual time he takes with each student if they need it. I took this course because I knew it would be extremely valuable since I had Mark as a Professor at UCI. He has excellent teaching methods and really cares about his students. If you are really concerned about the investment, I would reach out to him and see if you can sit in on a class.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I took a powerscore class last summer, it was a joke. My instructor took the LSAT back in the 80's, she was almost 50. She taught straight out of the book and the most explanation she could/would give for wrong answers were "ummmm, no". To go over RC we would read the passage aloud, alternating between paragraphs and than answering questions. She told us that there was no way to improve on RC because it is simply an acquired reading skill. Furthermore, she didn't tell us how to approach the homework so I was simply doing all of the homework and ingrained some terrible habits into my study. I later went on the powerscore website after the class and saw how they advise a much different approach to the homework, why she didn't tell us this I will never know. We literally didn't go over any strategies, nothing that I saw in the PSB for games or LR.

The problem with a class is it is is 100% dependent on the instructor. I got a shitty instructor. It was a waste of time and money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Sat May 12, 2012 12:24 am

Junebugman wrote:My idea is to try to study the three Bibles before I take a class. It will probably take me a while since my schedule with self-studying is sort of on and off. But my main idea is just to get a good idea of how to work the answers and then take a class that will push me further. I heard good things about Blueprint and PR, but Idk much about the quality of either. All I can tell is Blueprint is about a few hundred bucks cheaper than PR and offers like 30 more hours plus something called "clinics and workshops"...Not quite sure what that is compared to others. But as far as which has better qualified instructors, I don't know. The only surefire answer I keep running into is don't take Kaplan lol
Self-studying never hurts, but I strongly feel that instructors can really help get you to the next level. There's only so much you can get on your own. I'm not sure why everyone here is bagging on taking class in general? Law school, the lsat, the career path as a lawyer are all big steps, in my opinions taking every step to ensure the best chances to succeed is worth it.

I took score it up, it's a great course, especially for the price and hours. I initially made my decision to go with Scoreitup, because of Mark's credentials, I liked the guarantee of having a solid and successful instructor. In total though, Mark does a great job at breaking the sections down and helping students both individually and as a group. I saw my largest improvement with logic games while taking his course. In the beginning those were the hardest for me, but I also improved on the sections that I was already decent at, like the reasoning sections.

In the end though its all up to you, I would recommend, reaching out and speaking with the instructors at whatever course you're considering and go with whomever you feel most comfortable with, and who you personally feel will be able to push you to that next level.

lederhosen

New

Post by lederhosen » Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 am

lederhosen wrote:I've heard its a scam.

The first two weeks are done in very small classroom, then they combine everyone into a huge lecture hall but by this point you have no chance to ask for refund. With 400 students in a lecture hall, it gets dumbed down to repeating really elementary things every class.

I personally knew people who went and stopped going because it was useless and their time was better spent self-studying. On the plus side, they did have every PT, but really overpaid for them. Also it lets you network with other LSAT takers if you want PT partners.

I'd take a serious look at the other prep companies just to know what else is out there. Money comes and goes and saving a couple hundred $'s is very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things with a test of this importance.
First of all, I have taken ScoreItUp, it was nothing how you described, I took it during the fall, and I had the same 30 person class the entire time, and a couple of my friends took it during the summer and really enjoyed it. There was not 400 people in the class and their experience as well as mine was far from what you are describing. All I can say that getting more hours for less money, especially with a proven and accomplished instructor was worth it. But I will let you come to your own conclusion.

Secondly, I find it strange/sketch that you only have two posts on TLS and your only substantive post is just criticizing an LSAT prep company you have never attended/experienced. Most of us are actual/potential law students on here.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Junebugman wrote:All I can tell is Blueprint is about a few hundred bucks cheaper than PR and offers like 30 more hours plus something called "clinics and workshops"...Not quite sure what that is compared to others. But as far as which has better qualified instructors, I don't know. The only surefire answer I keep running into is don't take Kaplan lol
Workshops are lessons at the end of each book where we go over a large number of questions that come from the types covered in that lesson book to review the material. We believe that repetition over time is the best way to learn; instead of learning it and then forgetting it until the review at the end of the course, we do reviews intermittently so that the material stays fresh.

Clinics are lessons dedicated to each section, individually. So there is an RC clinic, LG clinic, and LR clinic. Those happen after we've covered all of the material for that section. They're, again, a large number of questions that take you through all of the concepts for that section as a refresher/review. We talk about strategies, common ways the test will trick you, and review everything we've learned.

Jay Donnell is our Irvine instructor. He's one of our most experienced instructors. If you have any questions about the course, or want to get in touch with Jay, just let me know (through a PM).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Junebugman wrote:All I can tell is Blueprint is about a few hundred bucks cheaper than PR and offers like 30 more hours plus something called "clinics and workshops"...Not quite sure what that is compared to others. But as far as which has better qualified instructors, I don't know. The only surefire answer I keep running into is don't take Kaplan lol
Workshops are lessons at the end of each book where we go over a large number of questions that come from the types covered in that lesson book to review the material. We believe that repetition over time is the best way to learn; instead of learning it and then forgetting it until the review at the end of the course, we do reviews intermittently so that the material stays fresh.

Clinics are lessons dedicated to each section, individually. So there is an RC clinic, LG clinic, and LR clinic. Those happen after we've covered all of the material for that section. They're, again, a large number of questions that take you through all of the concepts for that section as a refresher/review. We talk about strategies, common ways the test will trick you, and review everything we've learned.

Jay Donnell is our Irvine instructor. He's one of our most experienced instructors. If you have any questions about the course, or want to get in touch with Jay, just let me know (through a PM).
took blueprint with jay in 2010. cool dude and helpful; you can talk things through with him after class and he doesn't mind at all.

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Post by Mik Ekim » Tue May 15, 2012 5:03 pm

A few years ago, I participated in my first and last "battle of the test prep companies" type of event, held in Irvine --

The other people on the panel included someone from Kaplan, Trent Teti from Blueprint, Dave Hall from the Princeton Review, and Mark from Score it Up --

Each of us went up and spent about twenty minutes teaching a couple of questions. Unfortunately, I don't remember the Kaplan lesson, but between Trent, Dave, and Mark, I found Mark to be the most effective teacher. My sense was that he is exactly what he says he is -- a smart, experienced guy that provides an effective and comprehensive course for his local community.

I haven't taken a course with Mark, nor have I had direct experience with students who have, so I could of course be totally off --

And I completely agree about sitting in on classes before making your decision -- after you pick a few to try out, I think this is absolutely the best way to figure out what's going to work best for you --

but I do know that companies like blueprint and tpr have a stronger presence on this site. So, I wanted to add my 2 cents, support Mark, and say that I think Mark is legit.

Junebugman

New

Post by Junebugman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:52 am

bp shinners wrote:

I actually live in Northridge. I know you guys host a class at CSUN, which is my UG and less than five minutes away. That's why I'm trying to make a mental "Score it Up vs PR vs Blueprint". I've made my rough pro/con list and from it I've seen that Score It up is the cheapest and still it's 100 hours of lecture and apparently it's the same instructor, who has a good history of teaching. However UCI is about a nearly hour and a half drive, which is a deal breaker, unless his class is top notch enough to justify it. Blueprint is the 2nd cheapest and I know they offer like 12 hours more than SIU. It's also nearby, however there is the Unknown factor. I've heard a lot of bad stories of people dropping money for a prep class, only to have a bad teacher. I feel like that chance exists with PR and Blueprint, and especially with Kaplan from what I keep hearing. That's why I feel a little safer with SIU since you already know the teacher. That's my dilemma.

fromIrvine.CA

New

Post by fromIrvine.CA » Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 am

Last edited by fromIrvine.CA on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”