Velocity - Section Specific Courses? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mr.Binks

Silver

Velocity - Section Specific Courses?

Post by Mr.Binks » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Evening all,

I know Velocity has gotten many praises on its comprehensive course and materials. But has anyone done just the Reading Comprehension online course? or the Logical Reasoning? If so, how effective were they?

glucose101

Bronze

Re: Velocity - Section Specific Courses?

Post by glucose101 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I had both separately. I mean, it's hard to articulate exactly what I've improved on. Dave/VelocityLSAT is pretty awesome generally, but if I had to say what the difference is between other courses is that w Dave's system, you get a new mind frame on how to approach specific question types. It allows you to be quicker. Similarly, knowing how a 180 thinks about questions allows you to become accurate in your thinking.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Okay, so I've taken the LSAT twice now (dammit...) and have gotten unsatisfactory results both times. The thing is, I understand the question types, but can get caught up under pressure and whatnot. My PT average was around 170, but scored 162 and 161 on actual test day.

Do you think it'd be worth it for me to enroll in the Velocity courses or should I just self-study and use, for example JamMasterJ's, retake guide?

python125

New

Post by python125 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I would say that your problem isn't understanding the material, so I don't know how much velocity LSAT can really help. You should concentrate on what is causing you to mess up. In your case it is just the nerves so I would do some of the following (I did the same)

1) Do 30 minute sections instead of 35 min sections. It will teach you to be quicker and having an "extra" five minutes on the real thing will make it seem a little "easier" and put your mind a little more at ease.

2) Do practice tests (timed) in the same building and possibly the same room as your official LSAT. It will get you used to being in there.

3) When doing the prep tests do them in the same room, with a recorded proctor, and bring your watch, zip lock bag etc... Simulate as much of the environment as possible so that on test day it is just another prep test.

4) Do an extra section, I did 30 minute sections and did a few prep tests with 6 sections. This way I kept thinking that the real LSAT will have an extra five minutes and one less section, which put my mind at ease. It is nice to think that the real thing will be slightly easier, really puts your mind at ease.

5) Although a 160 is not the mark you want, it is better than what most people score that write the LSAT, so remember that when you are writing it and try to perform your best without putting too much pressure on yourself.

6) Lastly when people are under pressure they usually mess up on things that they are weak on. They are usually questions that you may find difficult in practice but usually pick the correct answer when practicing because you are clam. So when doing a prep test, circle any question that you aren't 100% sure of, or may find a bit difficult and start to concentrate on these type of question when reviewing. By focusing on your weakest point when the real thing comes you will perform much better!

hope that helps!

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 pm

python125 wrote:I would say that your problem isn't understanding the material, so I don't know how much velocity LSAT can really help. You should concentrate on what is causing you to mess up. In your case it is just the nerves so I would do some of the following (I did the same)

1) Do 30 minute sections instead of 35 min sections. It will teach you to be quicker and having an "extra" five minutes on the real thing will make it seem a little "easier" and put your mind a little more at ease.

2) Do practice tests (timed) in the same building and possibly the same room as your official LSAT. It will get you used to being in there.

3) When doing the prep tests do them in the same room, with a recorded proctor, and bring your watch, zip lock bag etc... Simulate as much of the environment as possible so that on test day it is just another prep test.

4) Do an extra section, I did 30 minute sections and did a few prep tests with 6 sections. This way I kept thinking that the real LSAT will have an extra five minutes and one less section, which put my mind at ease. It is nice to think that the real thing will be slightly easier, really puts your mind at ease.

5) Although a 160 is not the mark you want, it is better than what most people score that write the LSAT, so remember that when you are writing it and try to perform your best without putting too much pressure on yourself.

6) Lastly when people are under pressure they usually mess up on things that they are weak on. They are usually questions that you may find difficult in practice but usually pick the correct answer when practicing because you are clam. So when doing a prep test, circle any question that you aren't 100% sure of, or may find a bit difficult and start to concentrate on these type of question when reviewing. By focusing on your weakest point when the real thing comes you will perform much better!

hope that helps!

Ah, that's quite helpful--I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks! However, most of my mistakes come from RC (-8 to -11 pretty consistently). Has anyone tried Velocity's RC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

python125

New

Post by python125 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 pm

I have taken the full course with Velocity, which included the RC. I didn't find it that helpful except for one thing:

1) ALWAYS Prephrase answers before reading the answer choices.

Biggest issue with RC is the answer choices not the questions, so always prephrase answers before looking at the answer choices. I went from -8 to -0 by just doing this and by going over every question and answer choice. Once you are done a prep test go over every single question you got wrong or got right but weren't 100% sure of, and figure out why the right answer is right and why each of the 3 wrong answers are wrong. This made a HUGE difference in my studying. By employing these things I went from a 150 to a 172 on test day.

Also at the end of every passage you need to be able to do the following:

Identify the main point (what is the point of this passage( trying to prove something or disprove something or just telling us a fact))
Identify the author's attitude (does he agree, disagree etc.. with a certain viewpoint, or is he just listing facts)
Identify the conclusion
Identify the thesis

Then attack each question by reading the question, then prephrasing an answer then reading he answer choices and select the closest one to your answer.

I dont' think a course is the right thing for you, I think hiring a tutor to go over certain questions with you, and figuring out why you are getting certain things right or wrong is the best use of your money. If you are scoring in the 160s it means you have the important aspects down, not you need to figure out what you are constantly screwing up, this is an individual thing that isn't taught in courses but rather done by using a tutor. Using this took me the last little bit in my studying.

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 am

python125 wrote:I have taken the full course with Velocity, which included the RC. I didn't find it that helpful except for one thing:

Biggest issue with RC is the answer choices not the questions, so always prephrase answers before looking at the answer choices. I went from -8 to -0 by just doing this and by going over every question and answer choice. Once you are done a prep test go over every single question you got wrong or got right but weren't 100% sure of, and figure out why the right answer is right and why each of the 3 wrong answers are wrong. This made a HUGE difference in my studying. By employing these things I went from a 150 to a 172 on test day.

Identify the main point (what is the point of this passage( trying to prove something or disprove something or just telling us a fact))
Identify the author's attitude (does he agree, disagree etc.. with a certain viewpoint, or is he just listing facts)
Identify the conclusion
Identify the thesis

Then attack each question by reading the question, then prephrasing an answer then reading he answer choices and select the closest one to your answer.

I dont' think a course is the right thing for you, I think hiring a tutor to go over certain questions with you, and figuring out why you are getting certain things right or wrong is the best use of your money. If you are scoring in the 160s it means you have the important aspects down, not you need to figure out what you are constantly screwing up, this is an individual thing that isn't taught in courses but rather done by using a tutor. Using this took me the last little bit in my studying.
Hey man thanks for the RC advice, seriously that sounds like a great idea. Prephrasing in RC!! I never even considered that...

python125

New

Post by python125 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 pm

if anyone need more tips before writing the exam in feb, send me a PM, I am happy to help.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 am

outlookingin wrote:
python125 wrote:I have taken the full course with Velocity, which included the RC. I didn't find it that helpful except for one thing:

Identify the conclusion
Identify the thesis

Hey man thanks for the RC advice, seriously that sounds like a great idea. Prephrasing in RC!! I never even considered that...
I actually never tried this approach either. I am consistently missing -8 to -11 even when I feel pretty confident after reading the passages. I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:16 am

I advise you still take the course. It isn't necessarily about one specific tip or anything---it's about gaining a new mindset. Watching the vids will give you a whole knew outlook.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 pm

glucose101 wrote:I advise you still take the course. It isn't necessarily about one specific tip or anything---it's about gaining a new mindset. Watching the vids will give you a whole knew outlook.
I thought about this also. How do the "online courses" work? Is it just a fee you pay, then you get unlimited access to videos? Or are there actually online classes that you attend?

I apologize for the 21 questions, everyone.. >.<

pizzabrosauce

New

Post by pizzabrosauce » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
glucose101 wrote:I advise you still take the course. It isn't necessarily about one specific tip or anything---it's about gaining a new mindset. Watching the vids will give you a whole knew outlook.
I thought about this also. How do the "online courses" work? Is it just a fee you pay, then you get unlimited access to videos? Or are there actually online classes that you attend?

I apologize for the 21 questions, everyone.. >.<
Hey, I'm currently using Velocity so maybe I'll be able to help. I paid $600 for comprehensive course so I have access to all videos for 8 months and 4 books (LR, LG, RC, PT's 54-62). He also started doing "Office Hours" every week - where can chat with him online - which I definitely want to start attending.

I agree with glucose101 about Velocity teaching a mindset over any specific skill. I thought the RC was useful but nowhere near as much as the LR and LG courses.

Dave Hall

Bronze

Post by Dave Hall » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 am

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Dave Hall wrote:
Python125, I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't find our course to be extremely helpful. Please get in touch with me (Dave@VelocityLSAT.com) so I can find a way to make it right.
Customer service at its finest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”