June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sam62188

New

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by sam62188 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi everyone,

this study group sounds like a good idea.

June 2011 will be my 3rd and final try. I have a canceled score in June 2010, and I am currently awaiting my Dec 2010 score.

amols

New

Post by amols » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:00 am

Hello, everyone.

Also wanted to come through here. I'm also a retaker prepping for June. I'm also working full-time (50 hours+ that will only get crazier in May) and going to grad school.

Just wanted to swing through and say hi. Does anyone need a study partner? :D

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 am

Hey everyone. I cannot tell you how motivating it is to read your posts. After barreling through the LGB and slowly finishing the LRB, I know I have alot of work left. I work midnight shifts (6pm-6am) and I can usually get a little "awake" study time in because my mind shuts off at 3am.

After about 5 PTs in 3 weeks with extremely up and down scores, I realize I need to work on my accuracy. Anyone do an untimed test? or have spent time on untimed section practice? I haven't done anything untimed, but I am finding I am making careless errors because I might be moving way too fast for my own good. (example: missing obvious Defender assumptions more times than I want)

Also, test review is a real beast but it does offer good insight in my screwed up thinking especially when rushed at the end of a section and just blindly going for an answer...

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:31 am

accuratesite2020 wrote:Hey everyone. I cannot tell you how motivating it is to read your posts. After barreling through the LGB and slowly finishing the LRB, I know I have alot of work left. I work midnight shifts (6pm-6am) and I can usually get a little "awake" study time in because my mind shuts off at 3am.

After about 5 PTs in 3 weeks with extremely up and down scores, I realize I need to work on my accuracy. Anyone do an untimed test? or have spent time on untimed section practice? I haven't done anything untimed, but I am finding I am making careless errors because I might be moving way too fast for my own good. (example: missing obvious Defender assumptions more times than I want)

Also, test review is a real beast but it does offer good insight in my screwed up thinking especially when rushed at the end of a section and just blindly going for an answer...
It's too early for you to be doing full, timed PTs--other than a diagnostic or two if you're really impatient. Your instincts are right, you should be focusing solely on accuracy at this point of your prep.

Generally, the prep process should go something like this (courtesy of BlackJack):

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 am

dextermorgan wrote:Checking in.

I was going to take it in Feb, but with working full-time I didn't feel I had enough time to prep. Currently I put in at least two hours every night during the week and 4-5 on Saturdays. I'm working through the Atlas self-study and plan to take all the newer preptests once I've finished the classes/guides.
How is the Atlas self study program? Did you get the premium package? I'm considering ordering this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Underdog180

New

Post by Underdog180 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Anybody got any advice on how to remember all the stuff in the bibles? For instance, if i read about a chapter or two a day, I tend to forget some of the stuff I read in the previous chapters when working on the next chapters etc.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Underdog180 wrote:Anybody got any advice on how to remember all the stuff in the bibles? For instance, if i read about a chapter or two a day, I tend to forget some of the stuff I read in the previous chapters when working on the next chapters etc.
Flash cards and notes. If you're forgetting that means the information isn't sinking in. Apply what you learnt by doing drills after each chapter. Also, before you begin a new chapter, refresh your memory by reviewing your notes and flash cards.

I've just started my studying but I found the Cambridge packages, which group by question and game type, to be super helpful in helping me apply what I learn.

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:09 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Underdog180 wrote:Anybody got any advice on how to remember all the stuff in the bibles? For instance, if i read about a chapter or two a day, I tend to forget some of the stuff I read in the previous chapters when working on the next chapters etc.
Flash cards and notes. If you're forgetting that means the information isn't sinking in. Apply what you learnt by doing drills after each chapter. Also, before you begin a new chapter, refresh your memory by reviewing your notes and flash cards.

I've just started my studying but I found the Cambridge packages, which group by question and game type, to be super helpful in helping me apply what I learn.
Ebony's advice is good.

One other tip another poster described sounded good to me also, though I haven't tried it myself. He has a thread around here somewhere with tips on how he went from 157 to 164 to 172. Basically, he says that he typed up notes from each section of the Bible (ended up with five pages) and read them before EVERY PT. As you can probably imagine, he says that by doing that he memorized all of the important points. Seems like a lot of work but I'll probably give it a shot.

Here's link to that thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092
Last edited by Beast15 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Beast15 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

Ebony's advice is good.

One other tip another poster described sounded good to me also, though I haven't tried it myself. He has a thread around here somewhere with tips on how he went from 154 to 16~ to 174. Basically, he says that he typed up notes from each section of the Bible (ended up with five pages) and read them before EVERY PT. As you can probably imagine, he says that by doing that he memorized all of the important points. Seems like a lot of work but I'll probably give it a shot.
I swear I wish I had the time to dedicate my whole day to LSAT studies. If most of us had that much time on our hands to write 5 pp notes for each section, we'd probably all be scoring in the 99th percentile.

Kudos to him on increasing his score by 20 points.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:47 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:

I was going to take it in Feb, but with working full-time I didn't feel I had enough time to prep. Currently I put in at least two hours every night during the week and 4-5 on Saturdays. I'm working through the Atlas self-study and plan to take all the newer preptests once I've finished the classes/guides.
How is the Atlas self study program? Did you get the premium package? I'm considering ordering this.
I have the Complete Self-Study because I figured I wouldn't use the office hours (the only real difference). I really like it, and I think it is a great value. They give you all three study guides, the homework practice book (with real questions grouped into drills), 20 or so prep-tests, access to recorded versions of the online classes (both new and old curriculum + games intensive).

The deciding factor for me was that I essentially got an online class for half the price.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Beast15 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

Ebony's advice is good.

One other tip another poster described sounded good to me also, though I haven't tried it myself. He has a thread around here somewhere with tips on how he went from 157 to 164 to 172. Basically, he says that he typed up notes from each section of the Bible (ended up with five pages) and read them before EVERY PT. As you can probably imagine, he says that by doing that he memorized all of the important points. Seems like a lot of work but I'll probably give it a shot.

Here's link to that thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092
That is a great idea. It's a lot of work, but that's why I am giving myself this much time.

BostonPants

New

Post by BostonPants » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

I have the Complete Self-Study because I figured I wouldn't use the office hours (the only real difference). I really like it, and I think it is a great value. They give you all three study guides, the homework practice book (with real questions grouped into drills), 20 or so prep-tests, access to recorded versions of the online classes (both new and old curriculum + games intensive).

The deciding factor for me was that I essentially got an online class for half the price.

Hadn't heard about this option from Atlas - sounds like a nice hybrid of self-study and the benefits of a class. Still trying to figure out what I want to do, myself, but happy to see this additional option!

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

Wow, I didn't even notice this when I was considering signing up for their online course. Now I know!

Thanks for the review!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 am

Im in. Looking forward to taking the June 2011 LSAT. I initially wanted to start at the beginning of Dec to make it a 6 month study regiment however Fall semester classes got in the way of that. I have no prior exposure to this test and will start prep by going through the bibles at the beginning on next week. I'm usually bad at standardized test so my only fear is that 4.5 months is enough time to get me up speed and eventually hit at least a 170.

Good luck everyone. :D

kitmitzi

New

Post by kitmitzi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 am

I'm considering retaking in June but am not sure it's a good idea. Maybe October. meh

Better to retake in June (still in undergrad so can't spend as much time on studying) and apply Sept. 1st or retake in October after a summer of hard studying?
(already have a cancel and a December so I guess I can only do one)

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:33 am

kitmitzi: I'm taking a year off, but retaking the test in June because it gives me about 5 months of practice, and I'm only taking 15 hours this semester (one is a 3 hr night class, and 1 is online, so I lucked out this semester). The best reason I can think of is if your score goes up enough, you're one of the first apps in, and you have a better chance at a scholly (I would assume, since you'd be in while the school has full control of its budget). Just my two cents - take it for what it's worth (which isn't much :lol: )

Anyways, I'm bouncing over here from the December waiting thread. Needless to say, that didn't go well. Looking forward to learning from you all - I'm using LSATblog's study schedule, but wasn't sure if I should go with Atlas as well. Are the preptests pretty recent, or would I be getting the same things with the 10 Actual Official LSATs?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

jaysgirl42671 wrote:kitmitzi: I'm taking a year off, but retaking the test in June because it gives me about 5 months of practice, and I'm only taking 15 hours this semester (one is a 3 hr night class, and 1 is online, so I lucked out this semester). The best reason I can think of is if your score goes up enough, you're one of the first apps in, and you have a better chance at a scholly (I would assume, since you'd be in while the school has full control of its budget). Just my two cents - take it for what it's worth (which isn't much :lol: )

Anyways, I'm bouncing over here from the December waiting thread. Needless to say, that didn't go well. Looking forward to learning from you all - I'm using LSATblog's study schedule, but wasn't sure if I should go with Atlas as well. Are the preptests pretty recent, or would I be getting the same things with the 10 Actual Official LSATs?

I was wondering if they were the same tests as in all the 10 actual books as well. I had never heard of the Atlas until yesterday and now I am wishing I would have seen it before I spent so much on the bibles and the 3 10 actual books. How does everyone like the Atlas so far, or anyone that has used it in the past? Would it beneficial at all in addition to the bibles?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:46 am

neeko wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:kitmitzi: I'm taking a year off, but retaking the test in June because it gives me about 5 months of practice, and I'm only taking 15 hours this semester (one is a 3 hr night class, and 1 is online, so I lucked out this semester). The best reason I can think of is if your score goes up enough, you're one of the first apps in, and you have a better chance at a scholly (I would assume, since you'd be in while the school has full control of its budget). Just my two cents - take it for what it's worth (which isn't much :lol: )

I was wondering if they were the same tests as in all the 10 actual books as well. I had never heard of the Atlas until yesterday and now I am wishing I would have seen it before I spent so much on the bibles and the 3 10 actual books. How does everyone like the Atlas so far, or anyone that has used it in the past? Would it beneficial at all in addition to the bibles?
Just search Atlas on here and you'll find some great reviews. I like that they offer an array of courses - online, offline and self study - that tailor to your needs.

Perhaps its overkill, but I'll be using the bibles alongside their premium self study package. I'll top that off with Knewton if I'm not scoring where I should.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 am

EbonyEsq wrote:
neeko wrote:

Just search Atlas on here and you'll find some great reviews. I like that they offer an array of courses - online, offline and self study - that tailor to your needs.

Perhaps its overkill, but I'll be using the bibles alongside their premium self study package. I'll top that off with Knewton if I'm not scoring where I should.
I might do that too, not with the premium but the self study for $425 and the bibles. I'm going to go search for reviews now before I part with the cash. Thanks!!

timelysarcasm

New

Post by timelysarcasm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm in as well. Trying to formulate my plan of attack first. I'll probably start with the bibles/drilling and note-taking. Does anyone have any recommendations for a RC book to buy? I've heard the Atlas one is the best, but if anyone has any suggestions.

Good luck getting putting the armor back on, everyone.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I've already started studying. I worked myself up from 150-162 on my PT's only to end up with a 157 on the real thing from December. I am going to hold off until next cycle, and work to get myself into the 170s.

If anybody hasn't seen it. Check out Preptest 5 section 1 question 8. It's awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Alright team! We should all get to work. I am going to be waking up at 5 AM every morning to work on this stuff for a few hours before going to work. I expect to be doing full practice tests 3 or 4 times a week by March. Let's rock it! 175 here I come!

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm

geverett wrote:Alright team! We should all get to work. I am going to be waking up at 5 AM every morning to work on this stuff for a few hours before going to work. I expect to be doing full practice tests 3 or 4 times a week by March. Let's rock it! 175 here I come!
Oh my gosh I envy you. :D Good luck, though! I expect we'll all be checking in with our trials and triumphs, and hopefully you can do well in June!

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Just a heads up for you guys still studying. Don't get complacent with your LG performance in the 30s-early 50s era of tests. The LG in those tests were far easier than the kinds we are seeing today. The last few tests have had some very difficult LG sections - not so much with any particularly hard game but the entire section as a whole becoming much more crunched for time. Make sure you practice the LG sections in the 55+ PTs and get them solid. There were so many people in Dec who were accustomed to -2 or less on games ending up missing 5+.

I was too confident in my games ability and slacked on the practice leading up to the test, and sadly reflected on my score.

timelysarcasm

New

Post by timelysarcasm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm

geverett wrote:Alright team! We should all get to work. I am going to be waking up at 5 AM every morning to work on this stuff for a few hours before going to work. I expect to be doing full practice tests 3 or 4 times a week by March. Let's rock it! 175 here I come!
Yes! I got my ass beat by the LSAT in December, but all it did was make my angry. I'm going all in - 170 or bust.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”