Teaching LSAT material: earn income and study4retake? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MichelFoucault

Bronze

Teaching LSAT material: earn income and study4retake?

Post by MichelFoucault » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I scored a 170 in December. I think I heard from elsewhere on this forum that my score should be enough to get a teaching position at one of the testing companies. First, which companies will my score be sufficient. And has anyone retook after/while tutoring? Was tutoring a particularly adept way of reprepping?

schnoodle

New

Re: Teaching LSAT material: earn income and study4retake?

Post by schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:20 pm

the schnoodle did this very thing and banged out a 176 on the re-take. it is an extremely effective way for elite scorers to prep. in the interest of maintaining anonymity, i won't disclose the company i work for. but you would qualify to work where i do in addition to many other places. word of caution, though: my company, like others, wants people who are committed for more than just 3 months between now and your re-take. i've been with my organization for 3 years in one capacity or another. if you can score a job though, by all means, do it. i taught this stuff for several months before my re-take and my score literally skyrocketed.

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm

schnoodle wrote:the schnoodle did this very thing and banged out a 176 on the re-take. it is an extremely effective way for elite scorers to prep. in the interest of maintaining anonymity, i won't disclose the company i work for. but you would qualify to work where i do in addition to many other places. word of caution, though: my company, like others, wants people who are committed for more than just 3 months between now and your re-take. i've been with my organization for 3 years in one capacity or another. if you can score a job though, by all means, do it. i taught this stuff for several months before my re-take and my score literally skyrocketed.
What was your original score? And did you prep the first time around?

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm

my first score was above the 90th percentile but below the 97.5th. sorry, it's probably not even a legitimate fear, but i don't want to "out" myself on the forum. i did not prep for my first exam. but, having been an employee at my company, i took some preptests and score qualified to teach lsat after my first exam. then i started using some real strategies and seeing patterns, over and over again. that's the real benefit of teaching. the patterns just start to jump out at you (though, with your 170, it seems like you already have a decent grasp on these patterns and pathologies).

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 pm

I teach it as well. I go into it with the intention of using it as a way to prep to take it again but I haven't yet. It's actually a pretty sweet gig and depending on the company you can also each SAT classes which are a breeze and way more laid back.

I make more than I could bartending or waiting tables and the stress/effort is significantly less

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”